Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones - A Telltale Games Series

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Default Game of Thrones - A Telltale Games Series

Game of Thrones - A Telltale Games Series

Link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/330840/

Game of Thrones: Season One is a six part episodic game series set in the world of HBO's groundbreaking TV show.

This new story tells of House Forrester, a noble family from the north of Westeros, loyal to the Starks of Winterfell. Caught up in the events surrounding the War of the Five Kings, they are thrown into a maelstrom of bloody warfare, revenge, intrigue, and horror as they fight to survive while the seven kingdoms tear themselves apart. You will take on the role of different members of the Forrester household, and determine their fate through the choices you make; your actions and decisions will change the story around you.

• Developed by the creators of the award-winning The Walking Dead – A Telltale Games Series, and The Wolf Among Us
    • Meet and interact with characters from HBO’s hit TV show
    • Visit King’s Landing, The Wall and other familiar locations
    • Feel what it is like to play the Game of Thrones, where you win…or you die
    This has either totally slipped under my radar, or there hasn't been much coverage of it, but man I am totally excited for this. From the creators of one of the most immersive games ever in my opinion, The Walking Dead, I can't imagine how great it's going to be to see what these guys can do with a setting that is already so brilliant.

Their art style is based the TV series which is fantastic, Tyrion actually looks like Peter Dinklage for example. Seems like the voice overs of characters could be based on the TV series actors too.

The trailer really doesn't give much away:

It's out in December with no firm date, I'm totally hyped, anyone else?

Default Re: Game of Thrones - A Telltale Games Series

I heard about it a few months ago in between finishing up A Wolf Among Us and starting Walking Dead Season 2. I have big hopes for this potential gem.

Centenarius

Seems good! I hope that we can finally have a good videogame adaptation of Game of Thrones
    Temporarily retired from modding.

Can't wait to play it although I was a bit disappointed with Walking Dead season 2, playing Clementine was just not as great as playing Lee.
    French commentaries for TW and RTS:http://www.youtube.com/user/leviath40

Hmm, looks interesting but I want to see more. Definitely will keep tabs.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Episode 1 has been out for a few days now, I've completed it twice on two different saves. I'm really realllly excited for Episode 2, whenever that is.

While I am really impressed with the game, and it is extremely immersive I am overall a little disappointed with how short it is and how little your choices so far seem to mean.. I've done maybe one thing that will have any kind of lasting effect for the story, perhaps two at most.
    Maybe that's somewhat to be expected of episode 1, just setting things up, but it does leave me somewhat empty.. I can't help but feel this game is not true Telltales style like the Walking Dead was, were I felt I was fully in control of my story.

My playthrough and ultimately my disappointment, SPOILERS!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    My first playthrough I decided to be strong and forceful, putting my house and my honour above all else. Ultimately this lead to the death of Ethan which I though was brilliant that I somehow managed that through my actions to get myself killed.. It all made sense, I was forceful and unwavering against much stronger houses, in all my conversations with the Whitehalls, Ramsey Snow and the Boltons, and after siding with Royland the hardy military bloke I kind of expected to hit the fan, I was just banking on being able to come out alive... not the case, and it all made sense and I was enthralled and invested in the story.

But then even when trying to do the exact opposite of what I'd previously done in a new save, trying to be a sniveling sellout who just wanted to live and bend the knee to all just to remain in power... The exact same outcome manifested itself and I was left feeling really empty from the whole experience. In the ultimate showdown against Ramsey fully aware that he was prepared to murder me right then and there, I bent the knee, promised my houses wood to him two-fold, did not complain about him bringing in his men and even went so far as to be as nice as possible during our introductions, he still ended up murdering me... Come on...

Cold_Mac's Avatar Senator

Are there other story points that might have a lasting, individual impact?

A bit disappointed if it's as stringent as The Walking Dead.
    Shale: My heart does not qualify as shiny. I kill. Frequently, and not without pleasure.
    Leliana: You had a difficult life. Deep down, at the center of your being, you are a good person. I believe that.
    Shale: Even though I have never demonstrated this aspect? How peculiar.
    Leliana: You aren't all stone, Shale. There is a person inside of you.
    Shale: If so, it is because I ate it.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Like I said in my post "I've done maybe one thing that will have any kind of lasting effect for the story, perhaps two at most."

The first episode is full of choices, but they are all entirely empty choices and the story is entirely linear so far. There's one very obvious choice you make that may have an impact later, and there is one more subtle one that I think (and hope) will have an impact later.

Big spoiler that really highlights the problem with EP. 1:
    The character you spend probably two thirds of the story as so far ends up dying no matter what you do... All of your choices as to his characters character are pointless.

I get that its Episode 1 and they can't allow you to change too much as that would give too many possibilities for them to cover later on but it's so far a linear Telltales game which is a complete oxymoron.

The reviews I've now read of the first episode all say the same thing really, great game but with no sense of impact for the player.

Overall I guess I just feel like I wasted 4 hours on two playthroughs, I'd rather have just started at Ep. 2 and been told the plot point of Ep. 1...

I read a Steam review where someone suggested to only play this game when all Episodes are released so you don't have this gap of emptiness I currently have. I played Walking Dead in one long playthrough when it was all released, so maybe that's why I didn't feel the beginning of that was like this as it all flowed better.

Meh. If you love Game of Thrones I'd recommend this. If you're not really that big of a fan and just want a Telltales game save your money for sure.

Centenarius

Thanks for the little review Mitch
    Temporarily retired from modding.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by .Mitch. View Post
    Like I said in my post "I've done maybe one thing that will have any kind of lasting effect for the story, perhaps two at most."

The first episode is full of choices, but they are all entirely empty choices and the story is entirely linear so far. There's one very obvious choice you make that may have an impact later, and there is one more subtle one that I think (and hope) will have an impact later.

Big spoiler that really highlights the problem with EP. 1:
    The character you spend probably two thirds of the story as so far ends up dying no matter what you do... All of your choices as to his characters character are pointless.

I get that its Episode 1 and they can't allow you to change too much as that would give too many possibilities for them to cover later on but it's so far a linear Telltales game which is a complete oxymoron.

The reviews I've now read of the first episode all say the same thing really, great game but with no sense of impact for the player.

Overall I guess I just feel like I wasted 4 hours on two playthroughs, I'd rather have just started at Ep. 2 and been told the plot point of Ep. 1...

I read a Steam review where someone suggested to only play this game when all Episodes are released so you don't have this gap of emptiness I currently have. I played Walking Dead in one long playthrough when it was all released, so maybe that's why I didn't feel the beginning of that was like this as it all flowed better.

Meh. If you love Game of Thrones I'd recommend this. If you're not really that big of a fan and just want a Telltales game save your money for sure.
    The same could be said of a lot of the games by Telltale.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

I found decisions to be a lot more difficult to decide. They all feel important and feel like they have repercussions, regardless if they actually do. In TWD and WAU, some decisions just seemed light to me. In this, they just seem heavy, which is a great nod to the series.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Sure but any game can provide you with a hard decision to make if it ultimately ends up being meaningless.

What choices did you find particularly hard to make?

GasMask's Avatar Praeses

Having partially played the walking dead series from the same developers i am certainly going to pick this up and see if its interesting.
    Last edited by GasMask; December 07, 2014 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Typo

Blog Entries

Knowing what we know about the characters, we don't know if the decisions we make now could have drastic effects later.

Just while talking to Cersei I was making my decisions with the belief that every word could come back and bite me one, two, or even five episodes later. Characters like Cersei are not likely to forget even one slip up. I feel like the dialogue choices can make a big difference later on

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

I hope so.

Your conversation with Tyrion after Cersei leaves seems to be one of the two major decisions you make, alongside your choice of Sentinel.

Geleco's Avatar Domesticus

I was annoyed by the part
    where Margaery tells you to give Cersei what she wants... and then the game tells you Margaery 'will remember' when you tell Cersei that you are loyal to the King instead of Margaery. The ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Geleco View Post
    where Margaery tells you to give Cersei what she wants... and then the game tells you Margaery 'will remember' when you tell Cersei that you are loyal to the King instead of Margaery. The ?
    Could have been an accident. Or it could have been the game saying that Margaery will remember the fact that you did as she told you to do

Cold_Mac's Avatar Senator

Played it twice now. Didn't work for me. Hugely frustrating. Might improve, might have missed crucial informations.

The decisions to take felt so narrow, so inconsequential and the characters interested me little-to-nothing at all but one big plot question bugs me.

[*rant on]The way I experienced it the plot had very little substance. As does the gameplay premise of "shaping the story around your actions." It doesn't matter what you do. It's all staged.

You are the only survivor and it remains narrow, always pointing to the oh-so-shocking cliffhanger that barely made sense [or does it? Will it just be cleared in episode II/III?].

So... Ramsay is there on the orders of his father; Ramsay doesn't disobey Roose Bolton. What would Roose gain if the the wood supply-chains are threatened, the region is on the verge of civil war? Why is his son & heir the legman of a minor lord and his petty rivalry?
    The entire ending is based upon Whitehill's loss of two soldiers and his chase after a mere squire? Might make sense as an excuse for Whitehill to gain power but wtf about the Bolton-plot? The proposed re-allocation of the wood-supplies isn't helped by stabbing the acting lord nor will it create huge opportunities for Roose Bolton.[/rant over]

The King's Landing sections were good and had great interaction, which at the very worst gave the illusion that your characters are participating in the schemes.

Holy eff this pissed me off.
    Last edited by Cold_Mac; December 13, 2014 at 03:01 AM.
    Shale: My heart does not qualify as shiny. I kill. Frequently, and not without pleasure.
    Leliana: You had a difficult life. Deep down, at the center of your being, you are a good person. I believe that.
    Shale: Even though I have never demonstrated this aspect? How peculiar.
    Leliana: You aren't all stone, Shale. There is a person inside of you.
    Shale: If so, it is because I ate it.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Geleco View Post
    Yeh I agree. Margaery tells you to kiss ass, I kissed ass and Margaery got all butthurt.. I was literally like "wtf game?" at that point. I just felt like the writers were like "right we need to screw the player at this point" and so it was always going to result in everyone hating you... Cersei and Margaery.

Just an extra thing that left me feeling totally not in control at the end to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold_Mac View Post
    Played it twice now. Didn't work for me. Hugely frustrating. Might improve, might have missed crucial informations.

The decisions to take felt so narrow, so inconsequential and the characters interested me little-to-nothing at all but one big plot question bugs me.

[*rant on]The way I experienced it the plot had very little substance. As does the gameplay premise of "shaping the story around your actions." It doesn't matter what you do. It's all staged.

You are the only survivor and it remains narrow, always pointing to the oh-so-shocking cliffhanger that barely made sense [or does it? Will it just be cleared in episode II/III?].

So... Ramsay is there on the orders of his father; Ramsay doesn't disobey Roose Bolton. What would Roose gain if the the wood supply-chains are threatened, the region is on the verge of civil war? Why is his son & heir the legman of a minor lord and his petty rivalry?
    The entire ending is based upon Whitehill's loss of two soldiers and his chase after a mere squire? Might make sense as an excuse for Whitehill to gain power but wtf about the Bolton-plot? The proposed re-allocation of the wood-supplies isn't helped by stabbing the acting lord nor will it create huge opportunities for Roose Bolton.[/rant over]

The King's Landing sections were good and had great interaction, which at the very worst gave the illusion that your characters are participating in the schemes.

Holy eff this pissed me off.
    I do kinda agree with you. Especially after my second playthrough where I literally kissed ass the entire time, made a concerted effort to do everything the Boltons/Whitehills wanted... and still got stabbed by Ramsey, who clearly was willing to risk a war with a House that was clearly willing to give them everything they wanted. Dumb...

This is only the first episode. When episode 2-3 release, I think we'll see more of our decisions mattering and the the ones we have made come into play.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast