Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Falcon Hosts

Default Re: The Falcon Hosts

Quote Originally Posted by Adamat View Post
    "Ah, so you've read those letters," Zachary noted. "It is unfortunate that your uncle once again cowers behind the high walls of Riverrun. This war would have been his best, and perhaps only option to regain the honor that the Riverlands lost fifteen years ago. However, we shall make do without his help. Knowing that our immediate borders are secure is good news, even though his words cannot be trusted. I called up a war council, you may attend if you would like to. My own plan is to have Aurane fight alongside King Haegon, at the very least until the Lannisters have been bloodied badly. He Vale fights with spirit and strength, but the Westerlands command more power. Besides that, we have seen no word from any of the other Kingdoms yet. What are they doing?"
    "Edric is old and a fool due to his honorable attire", she only responded upon that matter, "As much as I mourn the message of Edlyn's death, I think we shall hope that either Winter will do the work for us to slay the Lord of Riverrun - or we do force him into a war against the Westerlands. Remember that the Riverlands do not forget and that I have an aunt in Casterlyrock. One slight trigger might be enough for any Lord of Riverrun and the Riverlands to return the favor upon the Westerlands, they once did with the castles inside the Riverlands. But as said - just some weird idea. Actually don't like it to plot against my family. But I definitly hate my aunt Cersei - as far as I heard, the death of my cousin enlightened her mood upon her old days. Disgusting creature of her own hatred."
    The Targaryen made a small pause.
    "Give me some time and I will join your war council", she said after a while, "I rather prefer my armour instead of my normal clothes to wear on such an occasion. People might think otherwise, I only came for cake."

The Lords of the Vale who are defending the homeland are called to a war council by Prince Zachary Arryn at the Eyrie. Expected to attend are Lord Denys Royce, Lord Arthor Belmore, Ser Eddean Hardyng, Ser Eon Arryn and other Lords of the Vale.
    Arthor arrives at the command tent with his vassals following close behind.
    "Prince Zachary," He says bowing to his liege lord as he enters.

Meanwhile in the Crownlands, Ser Aurane Arryn gathers his commanders and lieutenants to discuss the course of action that should be taken. This includes but is not limited to Ser Edmyn Royce and Nestor Belmore.
    Nemor joins his fellow commanders. The past few weeks had taught him much. The travel thus far had been uneventful but soon that might change.

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

The man who received the sergeant from the Vale, a Knight serving as lieutenant commander, nodded. "This pleases the Prince," he said. "Have them gather at the Eyrie. Mounted troops will do no good defending the Gate. Instead, we will dispatch an army of infantry and archers to defend the gate within the month. Your Knights will do more good defending the Northern approach."
    The sergeant nodded, catching his breath much like his horse. "I was bid pass on the request for Siege Crossbowmen to man the walls of the Gate. I bid you good day, Ser, and a good war." He reined in his charger and bolted off back down the narrow passes into the freezing winter winds.

Adamat's Avatar Invertebrate

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Drake View Post
    Arthor arrives at the command tent with his vassals following close behind.
    "Prince Zachary," He says bowing to his liege lord as he enters.
    "Lord Arthor," Zachary acknowledged the first man to arrive. "We are waiting for the others to arrive. I called you here to discuss our defences. We currently have a host of almost twenty thoushand gathered here at the Vale, but we must man the appropriate defensive positions."

Nemor joins his fellow commanders. The past few weeks had taught him much. The travel thus far had been uneventful but soon that might change.
    "Lad," Aurane said to his squire as he entered the command tent. "This is it. We're moving on the Capital tomorrow morning. The scouts we sent out report an army besieging King's Landing, so that means it hasn't fallen yet. This is good, because it means we will be able to smash the Lannister army from two sides. Our army alone has the numbers advantage, and surely the defenders will sally out when they see our attack. Nevertheless, this will not be an easy fight."
    #JusticeForCookie #JusticeForCal #JusticeForAkar #JusticeForAthelchan

"Lord Arthor," Zachary acknowledged the first man to arrive. "We are waiting for the others to arrive. I called you here to discuss our defences. We currently have a host of almost twenty thoushand gathered here at the Vale, but we must man the appropriate defensive positions."
    Arthor nods taking his place, "The mountains offer us a strong defense, however I worry our enemeis may attempt to ship troops around the mountains and assault our coastline." He looks down at a Map of he Vale, "My prince I recommend we station large Garrisons at key coastal keeps to provide us warning if anyone tries to invade from the sea."

"Lad," Aurane said to his squire as he entered the command tent. "This is it. We're moving on the Capital tomorrow morning. The scouts we sent out report an army besieging King's Landing, so that means it hasn't fallen yet. This is good, because it means we will be able to smash the Lannister army from two sides. Our army alone has the numbers advantage, and surely the defenders will sally out when they see our attack. Nevertheless, this will not be an easy fight."
    "How many men do the scouts report?" Nestor asks his hand shifts to his sword unconsciously. He had waited a long time for a chance to prove his worth, and in a few days time it would be his chance.

Arthor nods taking his place, "The mountains offer us a strong defense, however I worry our enemeis may attempt to ship troops around the mountains and assault our coastline." He looks down at a Map of he Vale, "My prince I recommend we station large Garrisons at key coastal keeps to provide us warning if anyone tries to invade from the sea."
    "A valid point," Zachary said, and bent over his map of the Vale laid out over the table. He moved several blue pieces to Gulltown and Wickenden. "Fifteen years ago, the Reach tried to assault Gulltown by way of sea. Our navy inflicted such heavy casualties on the landing ships that the Reachmen could not continue their campaign back then, but we mustn't rely on our ships too much. The Vale isn't a large naval power."

"How many men do the scouts report?" Nestor asks his hand shifts to his sword unconsciously. He had waited a long time for a chance to prove his worth, and in a few days time it would be his chance.
    "Ten to fifteen thousand," Aurane said. "If they haven't taken the capital yet, it must mean the defenders have at least a third of that number." The knight walked around the tent restlessly, waiting for Ser Edmyn. "However, the numbers do not add up," he remarked. "The Lannisters would use their numbers to their advantage, I find it hard to believe they only sent fifteen thousand men at most to the Crownlands. The King's army is nowhere to be seen either. My guess is that the Lannisters smashed Haegon's host already, but at the cost of heavy losses."

"A valid point," Zachary said, and bent over his map of the Vale laid out over the table. He moved several blue pieces to Gulltown and Wickenden. "Fifteen years ago, the Reach tried to assault Gulltown by way of sea. Our navy inflicted such heavy casualties on the landing ships that the Reachmen could not continue their campaign back then, but we mustn't rely on our ships too much. The Vale isn't a large naval power."
    "A wise move as our navy is not the strongest." He pauuses before adding, "Have you heard any news from the expeditionary force?" He had heard nothing from his son since the army had marched from the Vale and he was nervous.

Nestor thinks back to his lessons. He had learned of the history of most of the great engagements in record history. The only reason the West would split their force was if their was something to gain. "If the Westerlands divided their army it must have been for a good reason. Perhaps the Kings forces never made it back from Summerhall, and the Westerlands cut him off?"

"A wise move as our navy is not the strongest." He pauuses before adding, "Have you heard any news from the expeditionary force?" He had heard nothing from his son since the army had marched from the Vale and he was nervous.
    "We have received a raven six days ago," the Prince answered. "Their last report was that they had reached the holdfast of Antlers, on the edge of the Crownlands, without any trouble. They rested there for about a fortnight, before departing for King's Landing. I told Aurane to be careful, to not use the men idly. I believe he knows the risks he's taking and has assessed the situation well."

Nestor thinks back to his lessons. He had learned of the history of most of the great engagements in record history. The only reason the West would split their force was if their was something to gain. "If the Westerlands divided their army it must have been for a good reason. Perhaps the Kings forces never made it back from Summerhall, and the Westerlands cut him off?"
    "You might be right," Aurane said. "We don't know, and we cannot know, but this is most likely good news for us. Our host numbers twenty thousand," he reminded the boy. "We should not expect reinforcements from the Vale, these twenty thousand are all we have. If we can limit the casualties to an absolute mimimum while we achieve our objectives, that is a great step in the right direction. While Lannister can send more and more men, while the Crownlanders can draft more locals into their armies, we will have to make do with what we have. We must use them well."

"We have received a raven six days ago," the Prince answered. "Their last report was that they had reached the holdfast of Antlers, on the edge of the Crownlands, without any trouble. They rested there for about a fortnight, before departing for King's Landing. I told Aurane to be careful, to not use the men idly. I believe he knows the risks he's taking and has assessed the situation well."
    Nestor nods looking down at the map. "What will we do once your brother has Kings Landing?"

"You might be right," Aurane said. "We don't know, and we cannot know, but this is most likely good news for us. Our host numbers twenty thousand," he reminded the boy. "We should not expect reinforcements from the Vale, these twenty thousand are all we have. If we can limit the casualties to an absolute mimimum while we achieve our objectives, that is a great step in the right direction. While Lannister can send more and more men, while the Crownlanders can draft more locals into their armies, we will have to make do with what we have. We must use them well."
    "We should fight them while they our separated." Nestor says, "If we allow them to combined their forces we could be outnumbered and cut off."

Nestor nods looking down at the map. "What will we do once your brother has Kings Landing?"
    Zachary smiled. "That is another point on today's agenda," he said. "Truly an important decision."

"We should fight them while they our separated." Nestor says, "If we allow them to combined their forces we could be outnumbered and cut off."
    "While that is true, Nestor," Aurane said, "our main target is the capital, not Lannister's army. If we hold King's Landing, it will be virtually impossible to assault it. We will be safe in there if Lannister dares smash his armies against the city's walls."

ooc I will wait for more people to show up before replying with Arthor

Nestor nods, "And what will we do once we have the city?" He asks curious. "Will we manage to secure the support of other lords of the realm?"

"We will bide our time, Nestor," Aurane said. "As long as we do not know what every Kingdom is doing, it would be best to stay on our guard and defend the city the best we can." He had not mentioned possibly killing its defenders after they had served their purpose.

A personal letter is sent to the Eyrie.

Brother,

We scared the Westerlanders away from the capital and have taken it without casualties. Scouts report Lefford's host contained ten to fifteen thousand men; another Lannister host is somewhere in the Kingswood, probably numbering about two thousand strong. The garrison here exists of about eight thousand of the Blackfyre's levies and seven thousand volunteers. Neither of the groups suspects a thing. We can easily hold the city against any assailants. I have but one concern: the Commander of the Goldcloaks is a Lefford. He did not open the gates for the Lannisters, though. Not sure where his loyalties lie.

We await your next orders.

Signed,
    Aurane

Axis Sunsoar's Avatar Domesticus

Denys Royce paces about the encampment of the Vale's remaining armies, checking briefly on every sentry, generally trying to keep himself busy. At last he goes to speak with Zachary Arryn.

OOC:
    the composition I had put together for Royce was this
    1,550 LI
    675 HI
    500 polearms
    750 archers
    500 LC
    600 HC

which also takes into account the 1200 points gained by trade with the Riverlands.

This would mean the forces not left as a garrison are:
    1163 LI
    506 HI
    375 Polearms
    563 Archers
    375 LC
    450 HC
    Last edited by Axis Sunsoar; November 22, 2014 at 10:23 PM.

Lady Rhaenyra attended the war council as well, dressed up in a black armour, being made for a woman of her thin figure. A white three-headed dragon on blue ground, being accompanied by the moon and the falcon was her coat of arms by choice.
    For most of the time she remained silent, while listening.

"We will bide our time, Nestor," Aurane said. "As long as we do not know what every Kingdom is doing, it would be best to stay on our guard and defend the city the best we can." He had not mentioned possibly killing its defenders after they had served their purpose.
    "Even if we would come too late to defend the city, my cousin Tybolt would win nothing - Blackfyre won the capital with the Tyrells, but lost the war at Blue Moss", she reminded the persons inside the council, "In any case, do not trust any Westerlander, no matter on which side they stand. I thought upon the situation in the capital and Haegon's council, since I lived for years near the capital and actually do suspect the Lord Commander of having the potential to betray the King in favor of his relatives at Goldentooth. He might have been loyal towards Lord Meldred Baratheon, as he was a member of the Old Small Council under Baelor as well, but has he reasons to support King Haegon? In any case - who is actually the current Lord Hand of the King, when speaking about Lord Meldred?"
    Rhaenyra wasn't fond at all about the probability of Lefford's double-sided morale. Maybe it was pure paranoia, but since she didn't trust Tybolt all too much, the Targaryen had no reason to trust the rest of the Westerlanders as well. She remembered of having read that Lefford already served under Baelor's command in the same position and during her visits at the capital she was aware of the efficency of the Goldcloaks during the last years - if she would have been Daemon Blackfyre or any of his descendants, she would have removed every potential man, loyal in the past to either Aurelia Lannister or Baelor, who had the potential to ursurp the crown at any point in anyone's favor. Only loyal bannermen should be in power of such an office in her opinion.

Ser Eddean's jingling armour gave him away, he had hoped to join the council and stand at the back, although his mother had been the spearhead of the Vale in the last war he felt secure in merely being the captain manning the gate. A beautiful woman in black armour and with the emblazon of dragons caught his eye, others he recognised as Royce and Belmore, and finally Ser Aurane Arryn. He held his helm under his arm and stood to attention.

Axis Sunsoar's Avatar Domesticus

Denys Royce ducked away from the table as Zachary and his lady wife spoke, moving back to speak with Eddean. "I do not recognize you well Ser, yet I recognize your colors, are you not the one who was appointed as guardian of the Bloody Gate?"

Quote Originally Posted by Axis Sunsoar View Post
    Denys Royce ducked away from the table as Zachary and his lady wife spoke, moving back to speak with Eddean. "I do not recognize you well Ser, yet I recognize your colors, are you not the one who was appointed as guardian of the Bloody Gate?"
    Ser Eddean nodded with a slight bow "Lord Royce, aye I am he, son of Lady Sirsha Stark, Knight of the Bloody Gate and the champion Humphrey Hardyng, Knight of Wickenden."

Ooc: there seems to be some confusion, Aurane Arryn does not attend this meeting seeing as he is in KL and this is in the Vale

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dread View Post
    Lady Rhaenyra attended the war council as well, dressed up in a black armour, being made for a woman of her thin figure. A white three-headed dragon on blue ground, being accompanied by the moon and the falcon was her coat of arms by choice.
    For most of the time she remained silent, while listening.

"Even if we would come too late to defend the city, my cousin Tybolt would win nothing - Blackfyre won the capital with the Tyrells, but lost the war at Blue Moss", she reminded the persons inside the council, "In any case, do not trust any Westerlander, no matter on which side they stand. I thought upon the situation in the capital and Haegon's council, since I lived for years near the capital and actually do suspect the Lord Commander of having the potential to betray the King in favor of his relatives at Goldentooth. He might have been loyal towards Lord Meldred Baratheon, as he was a member of the Old Small Council under Baelor as well, but has he reasons to support King Haegon? In any case - who is actually the current Lord Hand of the King, when speaking about Lord Meldred?"
    Rhaenyra wasn't fond at all about the probability of Lefford's double-sided morale. Maybe it was pure paranoia, but since she didn't trust Tybolt all too much, the Targaryen had no reason to trust the rest of the Westerlanders as well. She remembered of having read that Lefford already served under Baelor's command in the same position and during her visits at the capital she was aware of the efficency of the Goldcloaks during the last years - if she would have been Daemon Blackfyre or any of his descendants, she would have removed every potential man, loyal in the past to either Aurelia Lannister or Baelor, who had the potential to ursurp the crown at any point in anyone's favor. Only loyal bannermen should be in power of such an office in her opinion.
    Zachary nodded. "A valid point, I shall remind Aurane not to trust the Lord Commander," he said. "Speaking of the Reach, they have declared for Maekar. Some sixty-thousand have joined our enemies' ranks, and we still haven't gotten word from the Stormlands or Dorne. However, some of the Reachers have made the right decision. Some sixteen thousand men under command of Lord Royce have declared for Blackfyre and are marching down the Rose Road as we speak. It might be smart to keep supporting Blackfyre for now, until such a time that at least one of the sides has been eliminated from this war." He then unrolled another letter. "King Haegon has been captured, Maekar tells us. Certainly bad for us, but not all has been lost yet. Prince Aerys is still in command of the King's army, and he doesn't seem to intend to surrender."

Then, he returned to the map of the Vale. "Our own troops, lady and gentlemen," he announced. "Some seventeen thousand, currently amassed at the Eyrie. We must divide them over the strategic strongpoints of the Vale, most notably the Bloody Gate and Gulltown. The North has not declared yet either, it might be prudent to keep an eye on the North as well."

"If I may, your Highness" he kicked himself for opening his mouth but instinct for war won over a sense for politics. "The Gate will hold with a few thousand, the key is to have the right kinds of troops to hold and fig in. That frees up many more to have a mobile reactionary defence based at the coast, they would also be well placed to be sent out by sea to the capital if reinforcements be needed." He cleared his throat, "excuse my interference my lords, your Highness.... However if I may add... I think we must consider a drawn-out campaign. With that in mind we should prepare more than just levies, and to amass an expeditionary force that can strike out and intercept any reinforcements the enemy will send. Sooner or later we must have them on the back foot." He waved his hand. "Forgive me, I speak out of hand."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast