Thread: Melee: Battlegrounds Kickstarter - Realistic Medieval Combat

Lord of Lost Socks's Avatar Primicerius

Default Melee: Battlegrounds Kickstarter - Realistic Medieval Combat

Heya TWC!

Melee: Battlegrounds has just launched their kickstarter campaign, and I'd be happy if you guys would pop over for a look. Melee: Battlegrounds is a multiplayer-focused medieval combat game similar to Mount&Blade, War of the Roses and Chivalry. The game will feature large-scale medieval battles with over 200 players per server.

The game is being developed by a new studio that previously worked on a mod for Mount&Blade: Warband called cRPG. cRPG has consistently been one of the best and most popular multiplayer mods for M&B: Warband. Melee: Battlegrounds has been in development for two years and kicked in to high gear with a larger team last year. I'll post a brief summary of the games features below, although if you want more information you'll have to go to the Kickstarter page:

Combat:
    The game features a similar, but further developed, combat system to that of Mount&Blade with a 360 degree combat system, weapon collision and other things like kick, nudge and shieldbash.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The combat is 100% skill-based where the only reason you die is because someone outplayed you.

Equipment:

What differentiates cRPG from the M&B: Warband is the persistant nature of your character. In cRPG as in Melee: Battlegrounds you will be able to buy better gear, gear that looks different and create your own unique character and style. Everything from horse archery to heavy landsknecht to lightly armored spearman is possible all with their own drawbacks and advantages. Armor makes you more resistant, but slower and fighting against a more skilled lightly armored guy will get you killed. There is no right way to play.

The game will feature siege equipment as well for sieges, in the form of ladders, catapults and siege towers.

Game modes:

Battle

No respawns - one life only, while facing 100 or more enemies together with your team. It’s tense.
    Conquest

Attack and hold tactical points of interest to win this game.
    Duel

Practice, Ranks or Bets - Measure your skills one vs one, or set up group vs group duels. This is the ideal gamemode to hone your skills in and get feedback from other players.
    Siege

Use the available siege equipment to assault a castle and conquer it by taking over sections of it. Maps will typically feature multiple stages as the battle progresses, and attackers will be able to assault multiple sections at a time, improving the replayability.
    Stronghold

In Stronghold we are bringing in elements from the RTS genre - build and design fortifications and castles to protect your team, while holding resource points to allow your team access to advanced weapons, armors and horses. Rounds are typically longer in this mode, and offer great variety due to team decisions and choice of strategy.
    Modding:

The team come from a background of modders and they are therefore supporting modding as much as possible. Here's what is said on the kickstarter page:

We come from a modder’s background. For us moddability is not just something nice to have, it’s something we fully embrace. That’s why we intend on working very closely with the modding community and making sure as little as possible is hardcoded in our engine. The SDK is based on the C# Language (implemented via Mono) and super easy to code with. All game mode related code will be released to the modding community which means you can either adapt, tweak, or change our code or do the whole thing from scratch. If you shold run into any limits with the engine, talk to us, we’ll listen and do whatever is possible within our means. We know how tedious it can be having to work around small simple problems by applying huge hacks, so we’ve designed the engine to be as easy to modify as possible without making you code the basics from scratch.

Want to code the killer bunny from Monty Python? No problem! A dual-axe wielding laser shooting viking on jetpacks? Easy! A full blown strategy game, a dragon riding game, a medieval farming simulator, a physics based golf game, a mage duel competition, literally anything you can think of, you can mod it.

We plan to release the SDK for everyone together with the alpha release.

If this sounds like your thing, I'd be thrilled if you could go over to their kickstarter page and check it out. They've put a ton of work into this. They are asking for a relatively modest 130 000$.

Progress on the game so far:

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me, or you can even ask the developers themselves at their irc chat: http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=melee
    There's usually someone around who can answer the question if the developers are busy.
    Last edited by Lord of Lost Socks; November 20, 2014 at 08:53 AM.

“The human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.”

Default Re: Melee: Battlegrounds Kickstarter - Realistic Medieval Combat

Seems quite ambitious for a new studio. But it holds a great premise so I'm looking forward to it

As a long time c-rpg player, I've followed this from the start and can say that the devs have really delivered on expectations so far.

It's a medieval battle sim with a focus on realism.

It might not be for everyone, but it's made by an old modding team and aims to be highly moddable itself.

I'd really encourage people to support the project and help it to grow bigger, because there are a lot of modding possibilities here and so far, the team's been honest and dedicated.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

I'd invest in it seeing as I started playing cRPG sometime back in 2011 but I odn't see us getting anywhere near the goal

Yeah if you compare it to, say, Kingdom Come's kickstarter (which was completed in like a day was it ?) it's had a pretty unimpressive start. Would definitely be a shame though

Well, you don't lose anything by pledging if they don't hit the goal. And the more people pledge, the higher the chances are it'll reach its goal. Besides, just pledging a small amount will increase it's publicity on the kickstarter site.

“The human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.”

Hamata's Avatar Civis

are they planning on adding calvary so we can have epic knight vs knight battles?

any ways this game looks interesting hope they can pull it off

Of course. Wouldn't be a proper medieval battle without them. Most weapons, melee and ranged, will also be useable on horse, apart from the larger poleaxes and similar weapons. Currently the horses are in an extremely early stage, though.

Here's the kickstarter video, it shows cavalry. Also added the video in the OP.

Will buy it if ever finished but my career on Kickstarter is over since Stomping Land.
    French commentaries for TW and RTS:http://www.youtube.com/user/leviath40

Looks really good. I've been looking forward to Kingdom Come and because of that I am now also looking forward to this.
    I just hope there is some type of mechanic to help formation keeping which is really needed in games as vicious as this.

It looks interesting...are you planning some kind of trial or free access? The game looks very interesting, but I don't think it will be for everyone. Some kind of "try it before you buy it" would be necessary.

Also, I'm wondering how do you want to sort out stuff like leadership and teams? Just throwing together random teams will result in most matches degenerating into a chaotic melee, that's frequent plague of all team MMOs (WT and WoT players can relate).

And last thingie. How will formations that require close cooperation like shield wall (interlocking shields) or, if included (it's late medieval after all) pike formations work? This won't be simple "stand next to each other" kind.

This looks amazing, and the devs are really dedicated. I definitely recommend anyone to pledge some money- if they don't make their goal you don't have to pay.

Hi folks, thank you for showing us support, this really means a lot! I am Zimke, one of the people developing Melee:Battlegrounds, also a huge fan of Medieval II Total War (Sicilian Vespers is one of the M2TW mods I played the most), been lurking around this forum since before 2009 actually, also I'm the guy in the pink hat in the video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbIwkWaUZPQ
    Last edited by zimke; December 06, 2014 at 12:06 AM.

8 days to go

Less then 24 hours to go.

https://imgur.com/gallery/hvsHv/

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Sounds very promising, I'd be already very happy if unlike M&B, the AI soldiers arent all up in your face when they attack. Seems suicidal to me, and wouldnt be a need for hundred men to charge at you if you are alone. Could maybe be a 7 men limit or such with others standing in reserve or trying to shoot you with ranged weapons.

But most importantly, the AI should keep the distance thats appropriate for their weapon. Why be all up in someone's face when you wield a spear? Or a longsword? should just be for daggers.

I couldn't agree more.