Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 1 small shirt for a man, 1 giant leap backward for women

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Default Re: 1 small shirt for a man, 1 giant leap backward for women

Quote Originally Posted by sabaku_no_gaara View Post
    Good god, are we really all going to have to apologise for ing everything now?

Are these woman insane? Or did this start out as a stupid prank and did some zealous woman get too riled up? stuff like this makes me sad
    Nope, the insanity is that he actually apologized. Why do we take all these so seriously now?

So, a few people tweeted criticism of someone's fashion choice and the guy in question decided to apologize for it which somehow resulted in the whole world bowing in front of our female overlords?
    The Armenian Issue

A nerd without fashion sense. Fascinating.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

Some people don't like a thing

OMG THIS REFLECTS BADLY ON ALL WOMEN

Good job

You guys give those idiots way too much attention. So, a bunch of tumblr feminists will bombard your twitter and boycott your products that they don't use anyways, who the cares?

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    This.

I think it's interesting that most of the "feminist complaints" that I hear about are not coming from actual feminists, but from people who rage about "da evil deminazis taking over".
    You find it interesting that feminazis do not complain about their own stupidity? In any case, "western" feminism is a joke. It is mostly a fad for bored middle class college students who keep finding new ways in which they get "oppressed".

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    You guys give those idiots way too much attention. So, a bunch of tumblr feminists will bombard your twitter and boycott your products that they don't use anyways, who the cares?
    It's weird. People are entitled to an opinion, anybody is, on anything, and they're allowed to say it. But if that person happens to be a woman and that topic happens to be women then some people think that's feminazi.
    Last edited by Aikanįr; November 20, 2014 at 12:35 AM. Reason: off-topic removed

sabaku_no_gaara's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

The things is, a marginal loud minority was able to bring a man to tears, and to go on tv to apologise thus distracting from his achievement, we should always punish this kind of behaviour, the extremely loud minority should not be able to bully others in such a way or dictate their views on others.

There was a time when the loud minority was the likes of the BNP and other European equivalents, many people called for shutting up or curbing the loud minority too, back then since they reflect poorly on the general population...

Mongrel or Ferrets, you'd be ok with shutting up or endlessly mocking the BNP or EDL every time they do something dumb (muslamic ray guns comes to mind), well the same applies here, these woman and SJW's did a dumb thing, and they can't be scrutinized enough over it, and we should mock them into being too shamed to ever pull such a stunt like this again, since they are actually harming the real feminist causes by being so ridiculous that the world just focusses on that and get's the opinion of "crazy feminists"...

The things is, a marginal loud minority was able to bring a man to tears, and to go on tv to apologise thus distracting from his achievement
    But that's not about feminism, it's about how our culture expects anybody in the public eye, all the time. It could have been anything that resulted in the same thing. There's no doubt people have double standards when it comes to feminism.

Mongrel or Ferrets, you'd be ok with shutting up or endlessly mocking the BNP or EDL every time they do something dumb (muslamic ray guns comes to mind), well the same applies here, these woman and SJW's did a dumb thing, and they can't be scrutinized enough over it, and we should mock them into being too shamed to ever pull such a stunt like this again, since they are actually harming the real feminist causes by being so ridiculous that the world just focusses on that and get's the opinion of "crazy feminists"...
    You've made the faulty assumption I agree with how he was treated. My objection is you and others are generalising feminism in general because some people complained, which they're fully entitled to do.
    Last edited by removeduser_487563287433; November 19, 2014 at 03:22 AM.

I never attacked feminists as a general group in this thread

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    A nerd without fashion sense. Fascinating.
    Fine enough but as I said he should have known to were a more suitable outfit if on TV or press moment. I mean even in the OP link he still looks like the guy who delivers your pizza or the one sitting next to you in a Dorm and playing a XBox game with. Personally I don't really see the point of the rage against the shirt, nor the generic backlash against some vague ideal of 'Feminism'.

The only rage I have is how did this guy get to be lead scientist on public project when he clearly cannot make basic choices like of the - what do I where to work today kind based on what I think is going to happen. Fine maybe he is brilliant at the one thing he does well - but that means he needs handling and somebody needs to say yes its fine you had a mostly work at home schedule for the last 10 years but today is Not business below casual day/slob at the office day or funny shirt day.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

I see at least hundreds Struting around in what their magazines call , "power skirts " and wearing boots decorated with a buckle or some wholey unnecessary stitching so it doesn't look too obviously like a jackboot , except jackboots are exactly what they are.

Speaking of Nazis , I dare say that , in the end , Hitler slaughtered more Germans than Jews , my point being that the privileged and majorities are very good at Sinking their own ships , but few are going to say so , even in the sorry and obvious end.

For ten thousand years or more , the world required a lot of dragon slayers and ditch diggers , and that favored men , for little better reason that nature built them rough.
    Now the world actually needs a lot more technicians and secretaries , and in both cases the advantage is really with women for no better reason than they are prettier. That a smaller , sweeter - smelling , sweeter - sounding secretary is preferable I should think is obvious. As for technicians , it costs quite a bit of money up front to produce a technician , and both sexes tend to open their purses more readily to an appealing countenance.
    Prostitution doesn't just sell sex , it sells looks , and it sells companionship. Many strip clubs and phone sex lines are not , in fact , selling sex , but an appearance -driven state of mind.
    But I doubt there will be any substantial discussion of this.
    No super model or trophy wife is going to want to knock a profitable state of affairs.
    Nor will an ugly welfare mother , though the profit is much less , though certainly better than nothing , or going out to dig ditches in the cold.
    Too many men have too much to gain , or hope they might , in pandering to women.
    And too many men want to go on pretending they are the ruling class and the center of their world.
    So , just as majorities are as bad as minorities , so it turns out that women are as ruthless and cruel as men , and men are as superficial and whimsical as women.

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Good to know feminists are keeping up to date with space exploration.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Fine enough but as I said he should have known to were a more suitable outfit if on TV or press moment. I mean even in the OP link he still looks like the guy who delivers your pizza or the one sitting next to you in a Dorm and playing a XBox game with. Personally I don't really see the point of the rage against the shirt, nor the generic backlash against some vague ideal of 'Feminism'.

The only rage I have is how did this guy get to be lead scientist on public project when he clearly cannot make basic choices like of the - what do I where to work today kind based on what I think is going to happen. Fine maybe he is brilliant at the one thing he does well - but that means he needs handling and somebody needs to say yes its fine you had a mostly work at home schedule for the last 10 years but today is Not business below casual day/slob at the office day or funny shirt day.
    Have you ever meet any of these science/engineering ingenious guys? they all either dress exactly like he was or in some terrible shirt and cheap dress pants.

Because merrit has nothing to do with clothing, should what you wear become another discriminatory variable in what decides if you get a job or not?

Jesus man, get with the times!

Pielstick's Avatar Domesticus

This x1,000

You wouldn't turn up for a job interview or a court appearance dressed in jeans and amusing t-shirt. Doing so would reflect very poorly on you, no matter how much you complain that your attire is irrelevant.

This guy is making a media appearance on behalf of a group endeavour that has just made one of the most significant scientific and engineering achievements of our era and has quite rightly got the world's attention. FFS somebody needed to tell him he wasn't appropriately dressed for the occasion.

That's it. No more, no less.

And no, he didn't need to apologise for upsetting some people with an agenda or axe to grind.

Win a nobel prize. Wear whatever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Pielstick View Post
    You wouldn't turn up for a job interview or a court appearance dressed in jeans and amusing t-shirt.
    To a job interview maybe , once you get the job , or to go to church , or court , or your own wedding or funeral , no.

That certainly . Or , maybe I need to move to this place where people still dress up , where everyone is not always dressed like they are going to gym class ?

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

If you're talking purely pragmatically, then no, there's no reason to have a dress code at work or expect people to wear clothing suitable to the occasion. But if we're disregarding the symbolic value of respecting and representing your co-workers and your organization by wearing something suitable, then we might as well disregard the value of celebration and accomplishment, as those are purely symbolic as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Mementomoridc View Post
    Have you ever meet any of these science/engineering ingenious guys? they all either dress exactly like he was or in some terrible shirt and cheap dress pants.
    Umm actually I have spent most of the last 20 years doing IT and programing for engineers and PhDs and scientists and non of them including my wife and some of my best friends and none of them would ever have been caught dead in that shirt at an interview. Playing batty scientist is useful, it can be fun and it can be a subtle indication of job you don't want etc. You know in the biotech tech I worked at sure on the sort of regular Friday bar night you could get an odd crowd from the Top end big wigs to us IT guys to our various friendly Academics from the university of Michigan and nobody would bat an eye at the shirt. In fact on many days nobody would care if it was under lab coat at work. or you just wore it but it simply is not how you present yourself in a situation were you want to be taken seriously. I could roll into work with jeans and old tee shirt if I got the job done, but on a day before Novartis or somebody else was coming and looking to partner or buy their was always clear indication of that you better dig up up some decent duds to look good and professional in front of the suits and keep your cubical shut so all jokes and funny screen savors or pictures are out of sight. I got no problem with that that is how the world works grow up and deal.

@ sabaku_no_gaara

Because merrit has nothing to do with clothing, should what you wear become another discriminatory variable in what decides if you get a job or not?

Jesus man, get with the times!
    See above, but the fact is the man looks like a buffoon. Merrit might get you the job but if I understand his level, people depend on him - his collaborators, reserch fellows anyone associated with the project... I sorry I have known my wife for 25+ years and while she would were that, maybe (it is sort of just bad just in general) to like the game night with the interns, I can say with certainty she would never ever ever were that to work in general (office type) and certainly not to an interview with pictures with the media. Sorry you do need to craft an image and when you are spending other people's money it needs to one of competence and sorry that shirt says good god why is this joker allowed to be in charge - let's cancel the check.

Get with what times anyway the ones where you get look like an ass in public - where clothes that say hey did I win the Beer frame?

-----------------------------

Win a nobel prize. Wear whatever you want.
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...AZHloASkrYGgBQ

or not...

Look I don't care about the shirt aside from the fact that from a style standpoint it is hideous an is simply not what anybody going to a interview should where - no mater how creative your dress code is otherwise. The 'Feminists' just need to be quite because the fashion police should be on the job.
    Last edited by conon394; November 19, 2014 at 10:52 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast