Thread: Paleo-Hispanic Anthroponymy

Hobbes's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Paleo-Hispanic Anthroponymy

Does anyone have any information on the subject? I'd like to find some sort of list containing names that one would encounter in pre-Roman Iberia. I suppose I could do with generic Celtic ones for the Celtiberians, but there's also Tartessian, Lusitanian, Aquitanian and Iberian. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Paleo-Hispanic Anthroponymy

Did you check these?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botorrita_plaque

Especially the third one, which seems to be a list of names - EB, for example, borrowed heavily from there.

Thanks, Athanaric.

Aru's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I suppose I could do with generic Celtic ones for the Celtiberians
    You could do, but if more familiar cultures are an example, it's not right. A people so spread and with various local hybrid cultures would most certainly have a variety of regional specific names and customs.

edit: just being smartass, am of no help at all.
    Last edited by Aru; November 21, 2014 at 10:27 AM.
    Has signatures turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    Does anyone have any information on the subject? I'd like to find some sort of list containing names that one would encounter in pre-Roman Iberia. I suppose I could do with generic Celtic ones for the Celtiberians, but there's also Tartessian, Lusitanian, Aquitanian and Iberian. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Sorry again for the late reply; see if Carlos Jordán Cólera's E-Keltoi pdf on Celtiberian is still around anywhere, that has more or less all the material from inscriptions in Celtiberian. If you speak French, L'arbre Celtique has a list of Celtic inscriptions including Celtiberian ones with translations at http://encyclopedie.arbre-celtique.c...e&Enc_Theme=12. Be aware that Botorrita is mostly (but not all) names of tribes and towns rather than people as you are looking for. For Iberian, you could look at Jesús Rodríguez Ramos' homepage with a short discussion of Iberian language, including a list of elements used in personal names: http://webs.ono.com/documenta/ib7_en.htm. Lusitanian personal names directly attested from inscriptions are hard to find - two inscriptions that we have in that language name the authors, but they have adopted the Roman names Rufus and Tiro in one instance, and in the other we have a Latinised name Ambatus.
    Resident Language Geek
    Baseless Assertions on the Celts Since 1996

Thanks for the info, Elmatiacos. Does anyone happen to know anything about the Iberian religion, btw?