Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To CA: Dont forget Aksum

Default Re: To CA: Dont forget Aksum

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hibernian View Post
    The eastern borders of the map end in Iran, not China.
    See that thing way up there? That's the point flying way over your head.

Quote Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
    See that thing way up there? That's the point flying way over your head.
    To argue that size doesn't determine what faction should be playable, you used the example of the Jin dynasty, which I proved to be incorrect, as China is not in TWA map, while Axum probably is. So, what's your point, again? That false analogies are ok, as long as they suit you?

Campidoctor
    Civitate

So, what's your point, again?
    People who complain here have no points. They are just euro-centric and probably can't live with the fact that there were cultural advanced and powerful states in Africa which were by far superior to the historical extremly important Vandals (Which played a role in world history for like 100 years and then dissapeared forever, without leaving anything), Saxons (Did they achieved anything special in the timeframe except of grabing the south-east of England from the Romans?) etc. Doesnt fit the clichee of backwarded, poor tribal Africa.

By the fourth and fifth centuries it seems that Aksum was on the decline although it did have some excursions into Yemen around that time. Please enlighten me on their relevance.
    Actually, Aksums peak was in the 6. century, right in the time they fought their wars in Yemen.

I spy a teeny tiny problem.
    This is already your second fail. I suggest that you just stop posting anything here...
    Last edited by LinusLinothorax; November 20, 2014 at 12:17 PM.

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

CA are of course Euro-centric and carry with them all the bias from a country which used to rule the world and roflstomped across africa. Perhaps if total war was made by an American or polish developer we wouldn't have this problem but one can only speculate. I know if an American developer had made Empire they wouldn't have split the indian tribes into 4 and made them all have the same units thats for sure. same thing with africa, which has been ignored in just about every game unless it was a faction that had something to do with european history (carthage, barbary states etc.) Rome 2 was the first game that actually expanded on that, but even it was completely wrong, and their units were boring copies of each other and had no variety and an obvious lack of research.

The fact that a British faction has appeared in every game (even shogun 2) should make it obvious that CA are nationalists with a nationalist agenda.

so Linus, I completely understand your frustration.

BalrogOfMorgoth's Avatar Decanus

I bet they will be rushed, with poor officer, helmets and be the copy/model of every african faction, like they did for Colchis before the dlc.

Interesting. I wonder what an Aksumite unit roster would look like, including weaponry and armor/clothing. Did Shotels exist at this time (AttilaTW period) ? The kingdom should also begin with 2 provinces/cities, Axum and Adulis which should be located on the Eritrean coast.
    Last edited by ShadowMassa; November 20, 2014 at 01:45 PM.

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

When did they conquer Meroe?

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
    Did Shotels exist at this time (AttilaTW period)?
    Honestly, i can't tell you as i spent not much time in reading and researching about their military yet. What i have read so far the dominant weapon was the spear for sure, even the royal guards used them.

When did they conquer Meroe?
    Around 350 AD by king Ezana, the first Christian emperror.

Quote Originally Posted by LinusLinothorax View Post
    This is already your second fail. I suggest that you just stop posting anything here...
    Sorry mate, forgot to ask if it was okay to prove where the map ended and show that the Axumite Empire doesn't extend into the map, outside of maybe a half province.

Care to prove otherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Horus View Post
    Sorry mate, forgot to ask if it was okay to prove where the map ended and show that the Axumite Empire doesn't extend into the map, outside of maybe a half province.
    As I already said, your image doesn't prove anything, since it's obvious that it doesn't present the southern borders of the map:
    If you notice the map tools, the borders of Egypt and Arabia and the light-brown decorating line, the map continues southwards Of course that doesn't mean Axum will be included.

doesn't extend into the map, outside of maybe a half province.

Already covered.

Half Province = Empire. Right.

How do you know it's only half a province? Maybe it is, but for now, we don't know.

People who complain here have no points. They are just euro-centric and probably can't live with the fact that there were cultural advanced and powerful states in Africa which were by far superior to the historical extremly important Vandals (Which played a role in world history for like 100 years and then dissapeared forever, without leaving anything), Saxons (Did they achieved anything special in the timeframe except of grabing the south-east of England from the Romans?) etc. Doesnt fit the clichee of backwarded, poor tribal Africa.
    The game is called Attila Total War. It's main plot is the invasions of a 5th century Hun warlord named Attila. In a broader sense the game focuses on the struggles of the late Roman Empire. This is something we all can agree on, right? Now, we can all whine about this and that, how a certain helmet is all wrong, why this faction is featured and that one isn't, and so on. We can also go on and on about conspiracies, and how evil and "Euro-centric" everything is. The thing is though, the game is called Attila Total War. Naturally, it focuses on Europe. Shogun TW was not "Japan-centric" just because CA left out the Chinese. It's all about the context and the setting of the game in question.

Do we have any reports of Aksumite forces marching into Asia Minor? Invading Italy? Grabbing Carthage? I don't think we do, but then again I'm no expert on the exploits of the Aksumite kingdom/empire. I do know, however, that the Vandals invaded Africa, and grabbed Carthage from Rome, which was a devastating blow to the Empire. The Eastern Romans tried to take Carthage and the North African provinces back, but failed miserably in a catastrophic campaign. You also mention the Saxons, and how insignificant you find them to be. But the thing is: they invaded and conquered parts of the Roman empire. So, in a game that's all about wars and conquering, they kind of fit in. To the best of my knowledge, the Aksumite never invaded and grabbed Roman territory, and that's probably the reason why they're not included ( as a playable faction ). Personally, I think it would be great if they were included, but I can also understand if they're not.

It's called Total War for a reason. It focuses on armed conflicts. Naturally, the factions involved in these armed conflicts going to get highlighted. It's not a mystery why, and it's certainly not a racist conspiracy. It's just common sense.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Joar View Post
    The game is called Attila Total War. It's main plot is the invasions of a 5th century Hun warlord named Attila. In a broader sense the game focuses on the struggles of the late Roman Empire. This is something we all can agree on, right? Now, we can all whine about this and that, how a certain helmet is all wrong, why this faction is featured and that one isn't, and so on. We can also go on and on about conspiracies, and how evil and "Euro-centric" everything is. The thing is though, the game is called Attila Total War. Naturally, it focuses on Europe. Shogun TW was not "Japan-centric" just because CA left out the Chinese. It's all about the context and the setting of the game in question.

Do we have any reports of Aksumite forces marching into Asia Minor? Invading Italy? Grabbing Carthage? I don't think we do, but then again I'm no expert on the exploits of the Aksumite kingdom/empire. I do know, however, that the Vandals invaded Africa, and grabbed Carthage from Rome, which was a devastating blow to the Empire. The Eastern Romans tried to take Carthage and the North African provinces back, but failed miserably in a catastrophic campaign. You also mention the Saxons, and how insignificant you find them to be. But the thing is: they invaded and conquered parts of the Roman empire. So, in a game that's all about wars and conquering, they kind of fit in. To the best of my knowledge, the Aksumite never invaded and grabbed Roman territory, and that's probably the reason why they're not included ( as a playable faction ). Personally, I think it would be great if they were included, but I can also understand if they're not.

It's called Total War for a reason. It focuses on armed conflicts. Naturally, the factions involved in these armed conflicts going to get highlighted. It's not a mystery why, and it's certainly not a racist conspiracy. It's just common sense.
    Remind me of many discussion in the Europa Universalis forum. I am proposing enhancements for Non-European nations, and some people come up like "The game is called Europa Universalis! EUROPA!!"

But as you alreay coming up with this lame argument: This game is called "Attila". Why do you come to the conclusion that the game focuses on the "struggles of late Roman empire"? Hmm?

But as you alreay coming up with this lame argument: This game is called "Attila".
    Your aggressive tone is not helping you prove your point. Why don't you instead list the military campaigns and exploits of the Aksumites? Show how their conflicts with Rome and its surrounding neighbours warrants their inclusion.

Why do you come to the conclusion that the game focuses on the "struggles of late Roman empire"? Hmm?
    Well, because it does. This is, in all but name, a Barbarian Invasion 2. It's main plot centers around a weakened Roman empire and the invasions it suffered. But if you can't even see that, there's really no point in continuing this discussion.

Jackie Chan's Brother Wang...'s Avatar Semisalis
    The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

People who complain here have no points. They are just euro-centric and probably can't live with the fact that there were cultural advanced and powerful states in Africa which were by far superior to the historical extremly important Vandal
    There goes the argument I guess.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Joar View Post
    Your aggressive tone is not helping you prove your point.
    Aggressive tone = "Lame argument" and "Hmm?", or what?

Well, because it does. This is, in all but name, a Barbarian Invasion 2.
    To use youre own argument: The game is called Attila, not Barbarian Invasion 2.

But as you said, lets stop this "discussion". I am tired of this ignorance and these ultra lame (Sorry for my aggressiveness) explanations why Aksum, still one of the mightiest empires of late Antiquity, should get no love.
    Last edited by LinusLinothorax; November 21, 2014 at 01:16 PM.

While I would love variety (I personally was hoping R2 would have been a Chinese game instead), we have to face the fact that CA rarely gives love to any non European factions. Just look at the Seleucid and Baktrian factions. Both were loved by the community and were even European in heritage, yet they didn't make release. Your best bet would be to to start gathering info on the military (units and tactics) and start presenting them in a thread. Maybe you can inspire CA to make them as a future release or inspire a modder.

And as a further hint, there doesn't seem to be much info on this faction so I would talk about any faction in the region at the time. CA might be more interested if they could do an Ethiopia/Arabia faction pack.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Strattios View Post
    And as a further hint, there doesn't seem to be much info on this faction so I would talk about any faction in the region at the time. CA might be more interested if they could do an Ethiopia/Arabia faction pack.
    Though there are not like 10 billion books as there are for the Romans, Sassanids etc, there are enough books and experts to ask out there. One just have to do a bit deeper research.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

It boils down to: Askum was never relevant in an European context and never interfered with the other playable factions. Also the argument that Mani, a Persian self-proclaimed prophet around 216 AD thought them a great power is rather weakened when considering that Mani likely did not have access reliable enough information to make an accurate statement, from a modern perspective.

As it is: If the map extends that far they should be a minor faction, but they are not relevant enough to warrant a playable status.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast