Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [UPD 16 NOV 14] Preview: The Lost Realm of Arnor

Privatecamping's Avatar Civis

Default Re: [Development] Preview Thread: The Lost Realm of Arnor

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Love the rangers. In close combat they should use 2 handed animations for those longswords. Rangers were some of the best human warriors in middle earth and not at all bad in melee.
    Yea I know, but we are trying to make the mod balanced as much as possible so if we give them all these trates than it would not balanc other ranged units

With all due respect, I feel that that is a lazy answer. I see no reason why Dunedain rangers should be weak melee fighters just because they also have bows. Cost and upkeep are the simplest way to do that, and having a lower-tier archer unit that has better cost for value for pure archery would also help. Another thing to keep in mind is these guys are at best medium infantry without the bow due to the chainmail and lack of shield, so Arnor should have better melee options than Dunedain rangers. Having Rangers balanced as too expensive for pure archery and too expensive as pure infantry would balance them well against both other melee and other ranged units. I'm not saying it would be easy to balance, as that's a fine line, but it could be done with the effort.

Wintercross's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by SpardaSon21 View Post
    With all due respect, I feel that that is a lazy answer. I see no reason why Dunedain rangers should be weak melee fighters just because they also have bows. Cost and upkeep are the simplest way to do that, and having a lower-tier archer unit that has better cost for value for pure archery would also help. Another thing to keep in mind is these guys are at best medium infantry without the bow due to the chainmail and lack of shield, so Arnor should have better melee options than Dunedain rangers. Having Rangers balanced as too expensive for pure archery and too expensive as pure infantry would balance them well against both other melee and other ranged units. I'm not saying it would be easy to balance, as that's a fine line, but it could be done with the effort.
    I agree, making Rangers not good in melee would be against the Lore.

Balance doesn't mean everything has to line up perfectly. Like Sparda said the upkeep and recruitment costs can be used (along with lower mancount) to offset the fact these guys are elite units who are both good archers and good melee fighters.

Mr.Jox's Avatar WHY SO SERIOUS?!

Hey calm down. Who did say we will cut their power and lore abilities?
    We have very nice balancing system where you consider armour, weapons, a lot of other stuff and now important: we also consider race of unit. So for example dunedain will be more powerful and cost more and opposide, orcs will cost cheaper and be more powerless. I hope this basic description of our balancing will help you to understand, all units will be very good balanced and all lore will be followed. Also I want you to consider, units also will have custom attributes which will make some exra bonuses and give some extra abilities to the unit.

p.s. I dunno what PC exactly meant with his message but read my post to understand how things will work for all units.

Berem's Avatar Libertus
    ...Brasil, Santa Catarina, Florianópolis...

Those rangers and swordsmen of Arnor are awesome, really neatly done! Beautiful shiny helmets shall only loose their bright with the enemies's blood! But I have to ask of you Mr.J: I can't see on both triads of photos the third photo of each respectively...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    You see, my friend, or should I say foe: the truth has died so long ago, that I shall not find her headstone!

Berem's Avatar Libertus

...Well, your system of balancing the units seems fair enough - Tolkien made clear the difference of powers between "Good" and "Evil" with his theology -, although I tend to agree that those rangers must be resilient on melee - first tier infantry units of orcs should be no match -, not as much, of course, as swordsmen with shields, but it would be interesting if they used a two-handed sword on melee. But, on the other hand, it is reasonable if it is with just one hand, for it is not a long broadsword and they are not, after all, infantry men.

You see, my friend, or should I say foe: the truth has died so long ago, that I shall not find her headstone!

Berem's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Berem View Post
    ...But I have to ask of you Mr.J: I can't see on both triads of photos the third photo of each respectively...
    Actually on the second sequence of photos I can't see the first and last photos and on the first sequence the last photo... I believe on the second sequence there are five photos, yes?

Yeah sorry images got deleted by me from the place I stored them.

Miles

These look terrific. Very professional, will look terrific up close and very distinct from a distance. Nice job.

I'm not sure how far along you are with this, but do you have any plans laid out with how Arnor might be set up? As in, where you would have their capital set up? It might be cool to actually start them as a horde, I don't recall the Dunedain of the North having a really 'set' town or city? Maybe they could choose to settle, but it takes a long time before their building chains become strong to sort of push them into being a horde until the North is fairly secure from evil and they have time to upgrade the town they take?

Quote Originally Posted by PeonKing View Post
    These look terrific. Very professional, will look terrific up close and very distinct from a distance. Nice job.

I'm not sure how far along you are with this, but do you have any plans laid out with how Arnor might be set up? As in, where you would have their capital set up? It might be cool to actually start them as a horde, I don't recall the Dunedain of the North having a really 'set' town or city? Maybe they could choose to settle, but it takes a long time before their building chains become strong to sort of push them into being a horde until the North is fairly secure from evil and they have time to upgrade the town they take?
    Thanks and yes it'll be either horde or small faction

Mamma mia!

Those Numenorean Swordsmen are amazing. Fine and sparkling armor.

Can't wait, guys.

absolutely amazing

Default Re: [UPD 16/11/14] Preview Thread: The Lost Realm of Arnor

Those Numernorean Swordsmen look absolutley stunning! And when it comes to the dunedain rangers, they look fierce. But I really think the rangers should wear some leather clad over the ringmail, hence they look more invisible when in forests and nature. Like illustrated on these three pictures. Reckon you've already have a picture in mind of how they are going to look, and I remeber that you said that there will be variation between the soldiers, so I though I just was going to mention how I think at least some of them should look like

My i make a suggest that Arnor isnt a starting faction and insteadits formed after you retake the old reagions of arnor as the Dunedain or something. Its just that Arnor no longer exists after it was obliterated by the whitch king and the Dunedain are all thats left.

Default Re: [UPD 16 NOV 14] Preview: The Lost Realm of Arnor

The faction's name is The LOST Kingdom of Arnor. It means this kingdom no more exists but there's some remmants of it.

Then can they be called something else then after completing curtain objectivesthey become Arnor. Like in vanilla Third Age and MoS?

Then can they be called something else then after completing curtain objectivesthey become Arnor. Like in vanilla Third Age and MoS
    Or instead just hint back to Arnor like DaC

Stop comparing Rise of Mordor and TATW with its mods. TATW has own vision we have our own. Promise you it wont be worse.

I hope not and im sorry that im comparing them but TATW is such a good mod and it portrayed LOTR so well i just want this to be the same. Anyway i wish you luck and cant wait to see a playable version

Does not matter how good TATW was. I see no point to make the same mod again. There is a lot of stuff we want to do different way.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast