Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: TOTAL WAR: ATTILA - The Lastest Info

Brihentin13's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: TOTAL WAR: ATTILA - The Lastest Info

I don't see the point of the controversy here over an Islamic conquest dlc. I mean, that's history. It happened. We can't start denying FACTS here. Islamic forces conquered their way up to France's doorstep before Charles Martel drove them back. So, people get butthurt over depictions of Mohammed. As my avatar likely explains my position on that (that is to say, get over it, freedom of expression is more important than some ancient tradition), I really don't care if someone gets offended. However, I do recognize this whole debate can be easily avoided by simply not putting Mohammed in there. Do a timeline of after his death. He didn't live THAT long. Don't follow the man on his jolly adventures around Mecca, follow instead those who conquered in his name afterwards. There's way less controversy that way. Back in Medieval 2, the game handled the whole Muslims vs Christians thing pretty tastefully. There was no "Islam is bad" or "Islam is good". You just picked a faction and killed the other guys because it was a fun video game about medieval war. You didn't celebrate Christ, or Mohammed, or whatever faith figure struck your particular fancy, you just picked a country and learned a little about how they fought and maybe some the people who fought for them. You could Crusade, Jihad, preserve the waning glory of Rome, or whatever, but nobody had to argue.

It's not like CA has ever tried to make Jesus Christ:Total War or its hit add-on Buddha Invasion. They don't have a track record of putting important or controversial religious figures in their games. Moses is not going to be walking around doing a "Parting the Red Sea" fatality on some Egyptian soldiers here.

Heh.

"Let my people go!"

FATALITY

JEW WIN

FLAWLESS EXODUS

Free Kekistan

Semisalis

Default Re: TOTAL WAR: ATTILA - The Lastest Info

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Jung was right View Post
    Please keep the "ur religion sux" diatribes where they belong. Which is actually nowhere. Let's keep this topic about the games.

Speaking of which I'm not against a hypothetical TW game set during the early Islamic conquests and featuring the Byz..err sorry the Eastern Roman Empire, Sassanids, the emerging Arab Caliphate and Gokturks as playable factions. The controversy of visually depicting Muhammad can be avoided by setting the campaign's start date at 632 AD, but I wonder how faithful Muslims would react to the game featuring Arab historical protagonists such as Abu Bakr, Umar and military commander Khalid al-Walid?
    When i made a mod for Rome 1 (private) i set it to a similar date. I consider myself a faithful muslim and i dont mind it. How can a game be a problem, the pictures of the important protagonists may be bad, i find it way to extreme though. Something as worthless as gaming, if they are faithful, they should care for the more important acts of believe and not fear a games protagonists. As long as it isnt insulting, insulting is bad you know.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345