Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faction Reveals Thread - The Visigoths

Default Faction Reveals Thread - The Visigoths

And the second faction is the Visigoths, who they are probably in a horde form, judging by the map information:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; November 13, 2014 at 06:12 AM.

Default Re: Total War Attila: Faction Reveals Thread

Because I value proper formatting.

The Visigoths

“The reluctant arbiters of barbarian vengeance, the Visigoths have sworn to repay the Romans in full for decades of abuse at their hands.”

The ravages of the Huns forced them to petition the Roman Emperor Valens for sanctuary in his lands. Although he accepted, local generals brutally extorted the refugees, driving them to open rebellion. Whilst attempting to deal with the Visigoths the impetuous Valens was slain on the battlefield. A period of peace followed until the Visigoths, under Alaric, fought against the Franks in support of the Emperor Theodosius I. Despite their victory, they were denied their reward by Emperor Theodosius. Now, seeking revenge, Alaric has set his sights on the city of Rome itself...

As the campaign begins, the Visigoths find themselves in Macedonia, with many choices before them. Head north into the unknown hinterlands, strike locally and arouse the wrath of the Eastern Roman Empire, or raid westward, and take advantage of the weakening Western Roman Empire? A people accustomed to taking what the world offers, the Visigoths rarely go hungry, and exact a heavy price on any factions they annexe into tributary states.

Last edited by Maximinus Thrax; November 13, 2014 at 06:10 AM.
    The Armenian Issue

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Faction Reveals Thread - The Visigoths

Soo the start out as a horde without a city???????? THAT IS AWESOME!!!!
    still though would like to get more info about what features would be ingame.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

I'm not surprised, the same is true in the original BI, where Slavs, Huns and others start as hordes.

Hate to say it but from the look of that pic CA are using fake screenshots...unless am doing something wrong with my Rome2...

i.e photoshopping.

Greve Af Göteborg's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Mmm yeah, just look at that low-quality mane on that horse, it's all jagged and completely devoid of details. Same with that guys mustache, it just looks tacked on. WHO IS SELLING ALL THESE FAKE BEARDS AND MUSTACHES?! [End of dramatization].
    Oh and I've never seen such a brown environment in real life, the grass is brown, the leaves are brown and the mysterious mist in the background is also brown, this is not realistic or attractive.
    Last edited by Greve Af Göteborg; November 13, 2014 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Totalheadache View Post
    Hate to say it but from the look of that pic CA are using fake screenshots...unless am doing something wrong with my Rome2...

i.e photoshopping.

Maximum LOD + infinite range is the modus operandi of all PR "in-game" shots!

Quote Originally Posted by Greve Af Göteborg View Post
    Mmm yeah, just look at that low-quality mane on that horse, it's all jagged and completely devoid of details. Same with that guys mustache, it just looks tacked on. WHO IS SELLING ALL THESE FAKE BEARDS AND MUSTACHES?! [End of dramatization].
    Oh and I've never seen such a brown environment in real life, the grass is brown, the leaves are brown and the mysterious mist in the background is also brown, this is not realistic or attractive.
    what??? that doesnt make any sense. can you re-phrase/explain because honestly you have lost me...

am talking about them using photoshop i.e to release shots what wont look like the end product we will play with!

capiche??

perhaps you+others want to swallow this but I find it rather distastefull..

Greve Af Göteborg's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Yes, it would seem like I have lost you. I did not post that post as a response to yours (Hence the lack of a quote). And my post is VERY negative, so I don't know what you're on about.

Quote Originally Posted by Butan View Post
    Maximum LOD + infinite range is the modus operandi of all PR "in-game" shots!
    Dunno I have bought most big titles over the years and what I saw in previews/pics etc looked like the end product. Sadly I cant say the same for Rome2. So if it's false advertising why should we have to swallow it here on the forum.

Just saying...by all means carry on peeps and post the pics just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Greve Af Göteborg View Post
    Yes, it would seem like I have lost you. I did not post that post as a response to yours (Hence the lack of a quote). And my post is VERY negative, so I don't know what you're on about.
    ahh got it sry my bad.

p.s thought u were being sarcastic re my post..

thankyou thrax!
    Last edited by Totalheadache; November 13, 2014 at 12:54 PM. Reason: dp/merged

Kraut and Tea's Avatar Campidoctor

Default The Visegoth starting position

I am really looking forward to this faction within the game. Up until yesterday I wasnt so interested in them and planned to play as the East Roman Empire during my first campain. But the starting position of the Visegoths make them very interesting.

Looks like they will start without a single province in their control but with one or two starting armies.

I am really interested in how this will work. Will this be a new mechanic that allows this faction to recruit and earn money without provinces, essentialy being truely nomadic?
    Or will it be a simple state that this faction is in during the start to represent their historical state as being "homeless".

I would really like CA to give us more info on this unique starting position.

After all, it seems to be something completly new feature in the tw series.

Umm, what are are you talking about? The horde feature existed since the original BI, in fact, factions like the Slavs or the Huns started like hordes. Also, it did exist in Medieval 2, with the Mongols and the Timurids, so it's not new at all. Btw, the Vandals will also be a horde:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Or we will just start with enough money to pay the upkeep for multiple turns, and will have mission objective incentive and gameplay incentive (sacking/capturing settlements from the Roman oppressors, earn a stable income) to attack everything left and right with our starting armies which should be big enough to tackle the challenge.

I dont see a rise of a new feature as a probability, there is no medium between no settlements = no money and settlements = money in Total War, except through diplomatic gifts and tributes, and you dont earn them without military power and ultimately, conquest. I think it will just be a challenging economical start, but military it will be a breeze.

The "map control" we see from the nomadic cant be true on the gameplay map, since we still use static regions/provinces: no dynamic frontiers or pixer per pixel territorial control. Its just where their armies should be at the beginning.

Without extremely precise information, notwithstanding PR hype of nomadic RP elements which have 0 value, everyone should be wary about believing we are seeing a gameplay revolution.

In BI, CA solved the issue efficiently, imo. The hordes didn't gain anything, apart from potential diplomatic tributes, but their amies had zero upkeep, which I find it reasonable. If however they recruit mercenaries, then they'll have to pay them, so you are supposed to avoid hiring mercenaries or you would run out of cash.

Can you tell more on how it worked in BI? I have not played this and I think it can somewhat predict what we will see in Attila, as you foretold.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

If the game starts in 395 they should be in Dalmatia and Epirus Nova, not Macedonia I and II Salutaris and Rhodopi.

Note: I advise you to buy the game. The WRE campaign is the most difficult vanilla campaign since RTW and without cheap tricks like everyone hating your ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butan View Post
    Can you tell more on how it worked in BI? I have not played this and I think it can somewhat predict what we will see in Attila, as you foretold.
    Sure. The Franks, Vnandals, Huns, Goths, Sarmatians and Roxolani were hordeable faction. That means that if they didn't have any settlement, they'd form a couple of full stacks, full of low to medium quality units (Huns had nine stacks!). Then, when they would conquer a settlement, they could either sack it (settlement becomes rebel) or occupy it, but they lose halff the army. When the third settlement was occupied, all the hordes were disbanded and you have to recruit a new army. Finally, if a hordey faction had only one settlement, you could abandon it (settlement becomes rebel) and you'll form a horde.

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post

If the game starts in 395 they should be in Dalmatia and Epirus Nova, not Macedonia I and II Salutaris and Rhodopi.
    I was actually wondering that myself. After seeing that pic for the first time I thought Visigoths that far South in Greece...mmmm..

Still capital of the Iceni is Camulodunum so there you go...

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

The Visigoths did raid pretty far through Greece, but even in the Gothic wars from 377-382 they didn't stay that far south in Greece, they remained north of the Haemus mountains and raided down into Greece.

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

That guy's mustache in the front row looks like it's coming out from his nostrils.
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast