Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESA landed probe on comet, spokesman confirmed that they landed on the right one!

Default ESA landed probe on comet, spokesman confirmed that they landed on the right one!

Probe however forgot to bring along a flag... Amateurs!

http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Sp...lands_on_comet

Currently they try to confirm how well the probe landed because virtually everything that could go wrong in the landing systems did but they seem to be confident the probe landed so softly that if it's not anchored on the surface it at least remains in close proximity.

It's kind of fascinating since this mission has been running for 10 years and they already achieved a lot by bringing their satellite into orbit of the comet.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: ESA landed probe on comet, spokesman confirmed that they landed on the right one!

So they landed on a Comet. Now what? Sample Collecting I guess?

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default Re: ESA landed probe on comet, spokesman confirmed that they landed on the right one!

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    They're chiefly interested in the core of the comet and its composition, which apparently has been well preserved for billions of years and can tell us a thing or two about how the bodies of our early solar system formed.

This is a glorious achievement! I say bravo to the ESA. I only wish NASA was doing stuff this cool, but sadly they're not at the moment.

However, the next big endeavor will be the reaping and extraction of condensed quark matter from the center of asteroids in our Asteroid Belt, no doubt. In fact, I have a little insider source in the industry who's created a design for such a spacecraft. Why quark matter? You ask. Simple: the future energy revolution, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    No, praying the solar panels unfold...

Essentially they want to dissect the comet. To that end the lander interacts with the spacecraft to scan the core of the comet and as you say it has several experiments to analyze the comet material. To some extent the exciting but boring aspect of the mission was to actually rendevous with a comet and then place a lander on it since it involves plenty of complex calculations and forethought.

The main fear atm seems to be that the anchoring mechanisms failed so have to tread careful since the gravity of the comet is so weak but they need that for a proper run of the experiments.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

None of the anchoring mechanism worked - thrusters, harpoons or drills.
    After initial touchdown, it bounced for almost two hours, a jump estimated to be around 1 km in both height and distance. It was followed by another small bounce.
    Philae is now stable on the comet, though the exact location is not known at the moment. Possibly on the rim of a crater.
    Unfortunately it's almost vertical, with one of it's three feet sticking out into space.

Final resting spot is in a lot of shadow. The lander is getting sunlight, but only 1-2 hours a day, compared to the 6-7 hours they had hoped for. Fully active, the lander might only be alive for a few more days, though powered down to an almost inactive state it can survive for a very long time. it is possible that i will die soon, but be resurrected in a few months when the comets position have changed to provide a better amount of sunlight to the lander.

This will obviously severely limit active mission time.
    That said, around 80% of the mission is the Rosetta probe, still fully operational and the major reason for the lander was the actual landing. Even if the lander had drifted away after initial touchdown, it'd still be a successful mission.

While not optimal, we have the first lander on a meteor ever in human history. The lander is stable and transmitting data. There are no indication of any damage to the lander. The crew are hesitant to use any mechanical parts, such as the drill, just yet. Given the very low gravity and no anchors, any movement can potentially cause another jump or even a complete evacuation into space.

The landing gear can be used to initiate another jump, possibly relocating it to a better location, however the amount of power required to do so, means it's an option that most likely will not be used.

Edit:
    Btw, XKCD did a live-updating comic about the whole landing event. For anyone interested, all the frames can be found here: http://xkcd1446.org/#0
    Last edited by PerXX; November 13, 2014 at 08:33 AM.

Despite the mishaps, it's all rather exciting and something to be proud of for those involved. To them I raise my glass and tip my fedora.

Quote Originally Posted by PerXX View Post
    None of the anchoring mechanism worked - thrusters, harpoons or drills.
    After initial touchdown, it bounced for almost two hours, a jump estimated to be around 1 km in both height and distance. It was followed by another small bounce.
    Philae is now stable on the comet, though the exact location is not known at the moment. Possibly on the rim of a crater.
    Unfortunately it's almost vertical, with one of it's three feet sticking out into space.
    Sounds like how I land in Kerbel Space program.

In any event, I am deeply opposed to the European approach to comets. These icy beasts are an existential threat to life on Earth. We should not be appeasing them as the only thing a comet understands is force. I think the right approach is to continue the NASA campaign of strategic bombing of comets.

Last edited by Sphere; November 13, 2014 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sphere View Post
    In any event, I am deeply opposed to the European approach to comets. These icy beasts are an existential threat to life on Earth. We should not be appeasing them as the only thing a comet understands is force. I think the right approach is to continue the NASA campaign of strategic bombing of comets.
    Philae was the back-up name. Originally it was going to be named after Neville Chamberlain, Appeasement-1
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

You know who else appeased comets?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Intelligence suggests that this man pictured here was conspiring to use comets as coordinated weapons of mass destruction.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Sounds like how I land in Kerbel Space program.
    Exactly.

Landing on a comet is nothing new. Bruce Willis did it back in the 90's.

These guys aren't having the best of luck...
    The MUPUS Penetrator is being deployed, but while waiting for the first data, it turned out the commands failed to upload.
    This was due to a Link break causing the commands to become scrambled - probably due to the awkward position of the lander.
    The upload will now be rescheduled.

The failure of the harpoons might not be such a big surprise.
    The Danish non-profit Aerospace organization Copenhagen Suborbitals did some tests last year regarding high-altitude parachute deployment using Nitrocellulose (Flash cotton). It turned out it actually performs rather poorly in Vacuum. See test video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnDZ_cO5Ln4

Small amounts of Flash cotton are being used to launch the harpoons of Philae. This issue was apparently not known at the time Rosetta and Philae was launched.

Update: MUPUS Deployment codes are being uploaded again!
    Last edited by PerXX; November 13, 2014 at 03:49 PM.

So, current update:

* Philae only has enough battery for 1-2 communication fly-bys. One about now, and one later tonight (CET).
    * All possible tests without mechanical movement have been completed, hence the deployment of the MUPUS Penetrator.
    * It is possible the MUPUS deployment have shifted the lander which could cause communication problems.
    * If they make contact tonight, they'll attempt to rotate the lander to aim the largest solar panel towards sunlight.
    * Other 'crazy ideas' to relocate the rover might be considered, but it is doubtful they have the power to do so.
    * Despite one of two CONSERT ranging measurements have been completed, they still haven't managed to spot the lander in images yet.
    * It is possible that changing solar seasons or comet activity will cause increased solar energy to the lander, and revive it sometimes later.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I suspect that considering comets loose material as they draw near to the sun, it will likely regain contact if the topography shifts.

Connection has been re-established! Science is flowing in!

First landing site has been confirmed as almost bulls-eye precise where it was intended:
    http://blogs.esa.int/rosetta/2014/11...en-by-rosetta/

Drilling operation a success - drill confirmed all the way down, and retrieved again:

They're now issuing commands to rotate the lander to better position the solar panels towards the very limited sunlight they're getting.
    28 minutes delay each direction, so hopefully confirmation in about an hour.
    This communication window is expected to last 3-4 hours.

Power dropping rapidly. End of mission is imminent.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    This is a glorious achievement! I say bravo to the ESA. I only wish NASA was doing stuff this cool, but sadly they're not at the moment.
    this is not a solo European effort, there's cooperation with NASA in expertise and technology, for example ESA uses NASA's Deep Space Network, as well as newer laser communication, to be able to communicate with Rosetta. both agencies have been involved in developing the spacecrafts and related technologies.

mrmouth's Avatar flaxen haired argonaut

Im kind of done with the flag waving when it comes to space exploration. If I never again hear ESA people tell me how great Europe is, I would be fine with that.

Hollywood finally held accountable for Armageddon.

I know space is large and stuff but how could not land on that thing?
    Last edited by mrmouth; November 14, 2014 at 06:04 PM.
    The fascists of the future will be called anti-fascists
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity

Quote Originally Posted by mrmouth View Post
    Random nonsense
    Are you serious, or joking?
    This is one of the absolute major events in Human Space Exploration, and your only comment is some sort of national penis measurement?

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Quote Originally Posted by mrmouth View Post
    Im kind of done with the flag waving when it comes to space exploration. If I never again hear ESA people tell me how great Europe is, I would be fine with that.

Hollywood finally held accountable for Armageddon.

I know space is large and stuff but how could not land on that thing?
    Well if that is what the actual comet looks like then it wouldnt be easy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast