Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Empire and Republic (Updated Chapter 15) 9th April

Senator

Default Re: Empire and Republic (Updated Chapter 8 11th January)

Chapter 9
    Caius sighed as he rifled through large stacks of paper. His quarters were adequate for his task, yet it smelled as though nobody had ever used the room apart from him. He had managed to find a fine bottle of Kaprean Wine, clearly left by the former ambassador, and he had poured himself a glass.

It had been a week since his arrival, and he had quickly settled into the routine, having letters sent to him by the Senate and by other interested parties who wanted to know what was going on in Amorta. However, he was currently writing another letter. The words he could use flashed through his mind and he began muttering to himself.

“All is well in my heart knowing that you remain safe and happy…” he stopped and stroked his chin. He wasn’t quite sure if it was too intimate for such a letter.

I’m terrible at writing to her…

As he dipped his quill into an inkwell, there was a furious knock on his door.

“Come in.” he said, not bothering to look up. Somebody opened the door and rushed in.

“Caius! Caius! The warriors from the Bluffs are here!” Caius looked up at that, to find a breathless and excited looking Arol. His cheeks were flushed red, clearly he’d run from the front gates all the way to the Crown.

“Ah yes, the tournament is being held today, how could I forget?” Caius pulled himself out of his chair. Apparently the moment the Emperor had heard of Karlius’ intention to visit, he’d sent out messenger birds to all corners of the Empire, inviting warriors to a grand tournament to celebrate. That was well over a month ago, so most of the participants had already arrived. Caius had seen many of them, proud lords upon their steeds and some arrogant sons of these lords hoping to attain glory. He’d seen proud Gravesmen from Giantsgrave, with mighty axes and shields that rang with an almighty clang when struck.

The only ones not yet to arrive were the warriors from the Bluffs, from the southern reaches of the Empire.

“You sure you aren’t going to take part?” Arol asked as Caius stretched his stiff arms.

“You’d have more luck getting a ship to sail underneath the sea.” Caius responded.

“Silanus will be competing…” Arol said, pausing at the end as if challenging Caius to join. Though he did think it would be fun to smack the living daylights out of Silanus, Caius didn’t expect that he’d be able to.

“I’ll leave battering Silanus to you, old friend.” Caius chuckled as he pulled on his cloak. The chill of autumn was in the air, and the last thing he wanted was to catch anything watching some lords prance about in a procession.

“I hope I get to fight Zalantor.” Arol said a wistful look in his eye. Caius rolled his eyes. He’d met Arol when they were both children and though they had both grown up together and changed over the years, Arol still never shut up about being the best warrior in the land. Which was understandable, as Caius saw it; if you didn’t have brains you might as well be the best at that other popular pastime, hitting things.

“Right then, come along Arol, let us meet our esteemed guests. Hopefully there will be some Krannols to talk to.” The Krannols, so far as he knew, ruled the Bluffs and as Silanus’ soon to be family, Caius considered it rude not to give them a fair greeting.

Down the endless corridors of the Crown, Caius spotted the huge front doors. They were wide open and through the opening he could see the Emperor standing on the top steps, watching the gates. It occurred to Caius that he’d done the same thing when he’d first come here. Arol waited by the doors, standing next to a Grey who didn’t even react.

He moved through the door and stood beside the Emperor. The Emperor turned his head slightly and gave a small smile through his thin wispy beard.

“Excited about the tournament Caius?”

“As excited as anyone who has little interest in fighting, but yes, the prospect for watching such mastery of the sword is certainly intriguing.”

“Hah. One of those scholarly types eh? You and Varo would get along well. Mind you, I never really was the greatest warrior at these tournaments.” The Emperor chuckled to himself.

In the distance Caius heard some cheering, reminding him of his own arrival here merely a week ago.

It seems like an eternity…

“It seems our esteemed guests have arrived.” The Emperor folded his arms as if wondering which nobles would be coming.

“Will Lord Krannol be gracing us with his presence?” Lord Byron Krannol was the current head of House Krannol and Lord of the Bluffs.

“The Hawk will not be joining us, supposedly he’s too ill to travel. Not that I’m too devastated, last time he was here he made one of the Greys cry.” The Emperor’s gaze hardened as he mentioned Lord Krannol.

“What?” Caius couldn’t quite believe that anything could upset a Grey.

“It’s true, he shouted at him for five minutes and then gave him a stare so terrible that the man broke down when he left the room.”

The cheering came closer and the front gates were lifted, a small group of city guards stood on either side in case any of the city dwellers decided to sneak in. Then Caius saw them.

Upon a mighty stallion, pure black with a matching saddle, sat a man clad in blue, with a mail vest barely visible underneath his clothes. His face was obscured by a faceguard that was shaped like the face of a bird of prey. Caius heard an admiring whistle from behind him and beside him stepped Varo, the castle’s steward. Caius remembered seeing him when he first arrived, but he hadn’t really seen him much after that day. Which was surprising, because he was no small man. His belly was rather large, his hair was an uncultivated red mop upon his head.

“It appears that the good lord Krannol decided to send one of his sons with the Krannol family heirlooms. That faceguard has been part of the family for a long time. Or at least that’s what the scrolls say. Though the scrolls say nothing about how utterly terrifying Lord Byron is.”

The Emperor turned and smiled when he saw the steward.

“Your cynicism is always appreciated when it comes to Byron Krannol, dear steward.”

Through the great gate they came, a procession far grander then Caius’ and the grandest of all the arrivals at the tournament. The man clad in blue had a sword at his side and it gleamed in the sunlight that shone down from a clear sky. The man on the horse just behind him was an altogether less impressive figure. He wore the clothes of any other noble Caius had ever seen, but the fact that he was at the front of the procession suggested that he was an important part of the group. He had no visible weapon on him, not that it mattered, because he looked as though he couldn’t fight his way out of a mortuary.

The blue clad warrior dismounted from his stallion, his cloak billowed out behind him at as he stepped down and made him look even more impressive. He strode to the steps, the clinking of his armour heard above the silence that had descended, and went down on one knee, removing the helmet and faceguard as he did so.

“Arise, son of Byron Krannol, though forgive me for not knowing your name.” The Emperor said, raising his right hand as he did so.

The warrior rose and gazed up at the Emperor, and Caius felt a twinge of…attraction to the man. He shook his head, but he could hardly blame himself. The man’s face was possibly the most handsome he had ever seen, short brown hair and deep brown eyes that seemed to pierce you with their gaze. He looked every inch the soldier, reminding Caius of some of the mighty princes he read about in children’s stories.

“Iro Krannol, my Emperor, heir to the Bluffs and commander of my father’s armies. You may not know me now, but I assure you after this tournament you will definitely will.”

Iro turned and gestured towards his less impressive companion, who was standing just behind him.

“This is Kiro, my brother.”

Kiro knelt as well.

“My emperor, my father wishes you well.” Kiro said.

“I’m sure he does. Tell me, what does your father refer to you as?”

“Pardon your majesty?” Kiro looked up sheepishly.

“Your father has a rather interesting habit of referring to his court as birds of some sort. So what winged creature has he bestowed upon you?” The Emperor gave an encouraging sort of smile, as if trying to coax this non vital information out of the boy.

“He calls me the Hawk.” Iro said with a small smile, clearly proud of himself for having such a good pet name.

Giving his son the same title as himself? Clearly he sees him as the true successor. Caius brooded on this as the Kiro stood up.

“My beloved father refers to me as the Sparrow.” He said sadly, his voice dripping with sarcasm at the word ‘beloved’ Small chortles of laughter were heard from around the courtyard. The Emperor gave another small smile at that, Caius noting that his mouth did twitch upwards slightly as Kiro spoke.

“Well, as a smaller bird, you’ll be a smaller target.” The Emperor said before gesturing to a nearby Grey.

“Take the guests to their rooms. Have food sent up to them.” He turned back to Iro.

“Tomorrow we feast and fight and we will truly see if the second Hawk is worth that name.”

The two gave a bow and followed the Grey, their retinue not far behind.

“Poor little lad.” Varo lamented once they were out of earshot. The Emperor turned to head up the steps, Varo and Caius walking with him. They went through the doors and strode along the corridors, judging by the route they were heading
    straight to the throne room.

“Indeed, having Byron as a father is enough, but the Sparrow? It hardly fills a boy with much confidence if his father calls him that in public.”

“Perhaps he has something wrong with him?” Caius suggested. It wasn’t uncommon to have one member of a family that was a little bit unusual. Though Caius knew that thinking such thoughts inevitably led to back to him.

“Perhaps. He didn’t seem like a fighter, so maybe Lord Byron didn’t quite agree with that sort of lifestyle. Though who knows what thoughts enter Byron’s head at times…”

“Maybe some sort of affliction…maybe even a Host.” Varo mused to himself. Caius gave a small shudder. He’d heard terrible stories about the Hosts, having a voice inside your head your whole life and the terrible power that they could wield.

“Maybe, but if I had such power I would have fried Byron alive or made him throw himself over the side of his own Bluff.”

“If you value the opinion of one Finger over another, I’d be quite happy to see the back of him as well.” Varo said with a cheeky grin. Caius couldn’t help but smile at that. The Emperor’s Fingers were supposedly the ten most important individuals in running the realm, but he supposed that even at this level petty hatred played an important part.

“Would you fight him to prove that point?” The Emperor said, half mockingly.

“Excellent joke your highness…I assume it was a joke?”

“Of course, we all remember the tournament about ten years when the two of you met in combat. Would you like to tell Caius or shall I?”

“I’ll give you the honour.” Varo said coldly. Clearly something embarrassing had happened.

“Well, he charged in like a madman, before being lashed around the face by Krannol’s mace. Two blows and he went down unconscious. I must be honest; I was chuckling as the squires quickly dragged him off the field.”

“As you have reminded me at every tournament since. I don’t see you being first in line to have a go.” Varo grumbled.

“I’m an old man; you still have a few years before your long decline.”

“My gut has been on that path for the last five.” Varo pointed down at his massive stomach, hidden under a well-worn shirt and green cloak.

As they reached the throne room, the Emperor turned to Caius.

“Varo and I have to discuss some vital but boring work, so I’m afraid I can’t let you listen.”

“Very well uncle. I’ll see you at the tournament tomorrow.”

“Of course. Good day Caius.”

“Good day, Emperor.” Caius gave a curt nod and strode away, with many thoughts on his mind.

Senator

Default Re: Empire and Republic (Updated Chapter9 22nd January)

Chapter 10
    The day of the great tournament had arrived, a bright day, like most in the days leading up to the grey, dreary winter. It was still cold, not unpleasantly cold, but the sort of cold that is on a still autumn day, no chill winds that can freeze a man solid, a calmness that is most pleasant to walk in.

Caius began making his way to the tournament grounds; they’d been set up outside of the city, though close enough that it wasn’t too much effort to get there. With him walked his father and he looked and sounded like the happiest man in the Empire. He’d chosen a black woollen outfit, with a brown cloak clasped with the Axe and Crescent. No armour though, clearly he didn’t intend to do any fighting.

The two arrived at the tournament about an hour before the tournament was due to start, but a large crowd of commoners had already gathered in the Poor Stands. The field itself consisted of jousting lists, a small field for a melee, and finally, in front of the Emperor’s box, an area for duels to take place. Caius couldn’t help but gaze in wonder at it.

“It must have cost him a lot to get this all set up.”

“Armius said that Varo was speechless when he saw the costs. But I suppose when you rule an empire at peace, you have the money to do this sort of thing. He was never careless with money when we were children.”

They found the Emperor and Varo looking from the Emperor’s box over the tournament grounds. Varo was shaking his head in awe.

“A quarter of the last year’s income. A quarter!”

“Come now, doesn’t it look marvelous Varo? Well worth the money spent? After all, you did help organise most of the construction once the architects were done designing it.”

He turned as Karlius and Caius approached and gave a smile. He was wearing much the same as Karlius, with a sword with a hilt of silver.

“Ah! Brother, I was just telling Varo how excellent a job he’s managed to do for me.”

Varo sniffed, before giving a small grin.

“Well obviously I did the job as well as I could, which is to say, almost flawlessly, but still, we haven’t spent this much at once since we had to rebuild the whole city!”

“As I recall, your face had the sort of look a fish gives as it dies when you saw the cost of that one.”

Varo muttered something about breaking something, but he turned away and headed over to where a few other men were standing and began talking to them. Caius left Karlius and the Emperor talking and headed across into the stands, found a decent seat not far from the Emperor’s own box and sat down, gazing over the commoners who had arrived in the hundreds and the nobles who were beginning to emerge from the distant city gates.

An hour later, the trumpets began to play and columns of mounted warriors entered the arena. There were young men and old men, some members of the great lords that held up the Empire, some mere fourth sons of fourth sons of backwater nobles, but still sought glory in front of the highest powers. The colours and crests and countless flashes of sunlight upon the bright armour transfixed all in that place and Caius most of all. He saw the Hawk in his Krannol Faceguard, Zalantor who rode no horse, but stood tall and proud, his handless arm crossed over his chest as a salute. He saw Arol with his Kaprean armour, riding like an equal with such magnificent men. Caius felt a small surge of pride as he saw him.

“Do you wish you could have a go at this?” A voice to his left muttered. He turned his head, and saw Varo sitting there, how he’d gotten there unseen was quite another matter.

“Sometimes. But then I remember every bruise and bump and painful whacks. My enthusiasm dims somewhat after that.”

“Don’t let the look of these people fool you. Half of them couldn’t hit a target with a sword if it was a corpse. I could probably beat a few of them simply by sitting on them.”

“Try that on my brother and you’ll see what you get.” A voice on Caius’ right said with a happy, though slightly nasally tone. He remembered vaguely that Kiro had taken a seat next to him but turned just to make sure. There he was, a thin, nearly gaunt looking boy, hardly looking like the brother of the great warrior upon the field in front of them. Caius couldn’t help but feel a little pity for him.

Varo on the other hand, was not as courteous.

“I’d be more tempted to try it on your sister Krannol, though knowing your family half of you already did.” Caius winced at that. It was an infamous tradition that the first person a Krannol’s daughter should lie with was her brother. Supposedly, Byron Krannol had five sisters and had practised the tradition on all five of them.

Kiro’s face turned sour and Caius heard a voice, merely a whisper, inside his head.

“Careful now fat man. You really should be careful who you insult. Especially if he’s a Krannol and especially if he’s a Host.”

Caius turned back around; Varo had his mouth slightly open in shock, before shaking his head and relaxing. Clearly he too had heard the disembodied voice. Though Caius had never actually been spoken to by an Aspect, he wasn’t expecting it to be as….unnerving as that.

“Forgive me, Kiro Krannol, it’s just the way I am.”

“You are forgiven.” Kiro said, his voice still slightly strained and a deathly silence fell. Fortunately, the Emperor chose this moment to stop admiring the warriors and instead stood up, and began to speak; projecting his voice as far as it would go.

“People of Amorta! It has been a long time since we had such an event happen in our lands. But today is a moment that must be celebrated. Today…one of our own came home.”

The crowd roared as Karlius stood up and waved, chants of ‘Axeborn, Axeborn, Axeborn!’ filling the whole arena. The Emperor raised his hand and slowly silence fell again.

“Today I invite all warriors of this great land to prove to all that they are worthy of being called ‘Heroes’. From the highest homes to the lowest ramshackle hut, all can achieve glory. And Karm knows, even the unlikeliest of fighters could attain glory upon an equal field. So to you brave warriors I say this. Trust in the strength of your arms, the speed of your legs and the loyalty of your followers above all else. But most of all, trust me, for I can grant you all the highest of honours.” He paused again, as all the knights pulled out their swords and axes and maces and presented them at the Emperor.

“And thus, let the tournament begin!” he said, thrusting his arms wide as if to give the whole audience a wide embrace. Another roar went up and it was truly deafening. The competitors sheathed their weapons and headed off to the competitor stands, with the horses being looked after by the various squires around the edges of the grounds.

The first event was a simple melee, with blunt blades used instead of sharp steel. It would likely spoil the mood if someone were to end up cut to pieces. Every one of the competitors was involved, even Silanus. Caius noticed Iro Krannol remove the clasp on his cloak and hand it to a nearby squire before taking a blunt sword from the nearby sword rack. He even managed to make a simple task like that seem heroic.

At the blow of a trumpet, the warriors charged out into the centre of the grounds and began to battle. The goal was simply to fight each other until only one was left standing. Caius watched Silanus, in a simple boiled leather jerkin, fending off a particularly large Gravesman who was wielding a mace. He handled himself well, and soon landed a blow or two into his opponent’s chest and arms. Blows to the face were disallowed for obvious reasons.

“That Krannol boy is certainly something.” Varo noted, pointing across the field. Two opponents of Iro Krannol lay stretched out on the dust, rolling around in clear pain. On he strode, one of his own retainers fell to him after a brief exchange. Caius had no doubt that he would have continued to stride on, had he not then come across Zalantor.

The general had already dispatched two opponents and turned to face Iro, his faceguard down. The two seemed to exchange words, and no other opponent dared to involve themselves in such a clash. Like a swift bird of prey catching a tailwind, Iro swept forward, slashing at Zalantor, trying to land any blow upon the giant of a man. But Zalantor fell back slowly, keeping out of reach of the blade before rushing forward, engaging Iro in blindingly fast swordplay. Yet, he was matched at every step by Iro, every feint anticipated, every step accounted for.

“That’s my brother for you.” Kiro said happily. But even as he spoke Zalantor feinted low, then high, then low again, before dropping his sword and diving forward, tackling Iro to the ground. The sword flew from the young man’s grasp and a collective gasp came from the audience. Zalantor pinned him to the ground with his massive hands around Iro’s wrists and soon released them, leaving the boy to pick himself up and make his way to the defeated area.

“That’s Zalantor for you.” Varo said, glancing at Kiro. “Meatheaded tactics that work because nobody would ever think of something so stupid. Rushing an armed man and trying to tackle him? Vintage Zalantor.”

The melee continued on, Zalantor himself went down to a vicious looking Gravesman, who in turn was smacked across the back of the legs by Silanus as he celebrated his victory. So Silanus won the melee, through fortune and skill, but he received a large cheer from the crowd nonetheless.

“Well fought.” Varo yelled above the applause.

“Indeed, that was a fine victory. Fortunate, but fine nonetheless.”

“It’s fortune that decides the fate of many men. After all, there was a chance that I could have hurt myself carrying scrolls today, the same applies to battle.”

“And what a shame it would have been to miss your wit.”

“Glad to see you agree, a tournament without my insightful commentary is no spectacle at all.”

“Why don’t you go down and fight and make a real spectacle of yourself?”

“Certainly, you can come and duel me. That will give the crowd something to laugh about, the Bastard and the Fat Man duelling with swords.”

“On second thoughts, maybe we should leave this to the actual warriors.” Caius muttered after a moment.

“Another brilliant idea, you are full of wisdom today Caius.” Varo noted as he stopped applauding the competitors.

Before Caius could reply, the second event began. Fortunately, very few people had been injured in the melee, so the jousting could continue. Silanus was not in this event; clearly allowing him to be in one fight was all the Emperor was willing to risk. In fact, the only real star of the jousting was Iro Krannol, Arol had never been very good at jousting and he wasn’t sure that Zalantor even rode a horse.

Sure enough, Iro defeated his first few opponents with ease. The Falcon faceguard made him instantly recognisable, and he noticed quite a few eligible ladies give a small cheer every time he entered the list. Eventually, after dozens of jousts, the last two remained. Iro Krannol against the Emperor’s Master of Horse, Lord Solir. The Hawk’s mount headed down the list like a particularly graceful bird, yet Solir’s proud steed rode just as fast. The lances met at the centre of the lists and there was a crash and splintering of lances. Iro reeled under the blow, yet managed to stay on, eliciting gasps from the crowd. Solir also reeled, yet he too managed to stay on. The second run was even tenser; the two clashed again, this time Solir catching the lance full in the chest. He clutched onto the reins for dear life and held on again.

On the third pass, Iro’s lance hit him once more, sending him flying back off the horse onto the dirt below. Iro rushed past, the crowd cheering as Solir slowly staggered back to his feet, helped up by two nearby attendants. Iro came to a stop near him and dismounted, shaking his hand vigorously, before turning to face the Emperor.

“Iro Krannol, your skill is undisputed. I hereby grant you a silver chalice, may you treasure it always.” Iro accepted with a bow and headed off, side by side with Lord Solir. Kiro Krannol was grinning from ear to ear at the victory.

“That was great!” he said, before shouting above the applause, “Excellent fighting Iro!”

That was total luck.” The Aspect complained, clearly deliberately making sure Caius could hear them.

“Oh, shut up you miserable-“Kiro was interrupted by the Aspect again.

He almost lost to an old man. In fact, he lost the melee to an old man!”

“The tricky thing about aspects is,” Varo said, without turning his head. Clearly he’d been privy to the conversation.
    “They really, really like complaining. I’ve met quite a few hosts and their aspects always complained about everything. They even complained about the food, when they don’t need to eat anything!”

The argument would have continued but the Emperor stood up and the audience fell silent.

“My people! This tournament has truly been a joy to watch, I hope that you yourselves also enjoyed it! A round of applause for the winners of the melee and the joust!”

There was a roar and loud applause for Silanus and Iro, who both stood up and bowed to the crowd.

“But now, my brother suggested that we have a duel to show our brotherly love for each other. However we ae both quite old and quite drunk, so we have decided to nominate two champions to fight for us.”

He pointed to his left.

“I nominate Zalantor to be my champion.”

Karlius stood as well and cleared his throat.

“I nominate Arol to be my champion.”

A roar went up from the crowd as Zalantor and Arol stepped down from the stands, armed with a sword and shield and stood facing each other, faceguard’s down on their helmets.

Caius tensed as he saw Arol. He wasn’t entirely sure that Arol could beat Zalantor, the giant had after all taken down Iro Krannol.

The Emperor sat back down and nodded once. The two began circling each other, each taking the measure of the other. Though Caius suspected they’d been sizing each other up over the last week anyways. Arol hadn’t taken part in any of the competitions that day, probably because he wanted to tire Zalantor out before he faced him.

If that was his hope, it was soon dashed, as Zalantor rushed forward, thrusting forward his shield as he did so. Arol leapt back to avoid being smacked by the shield, then rushed forward, dealing blow upon blow on Zalantor’s shield. The giant weathered the storm, before returning his own blows. Arol blocked some with the shield, switching to the sword to parry the others.

A bit of showmanship there, Caius thought to himself.

After a bit more back and forth the two parted and Zalantor sheathed his sword, leaving his hand free to unhook his shield. Arol did likewise, so now the two would fight with sword alone. They moved forward again, this time cautiously, the margin for error was much greater now. And as they duelled upon the dirt, to the admiration and gasps from the crowd, Caius became aware of the sound of marching feet.

He tore his eyes from the fight, and at the entrance of the grounds was marching a column of men, three abreast. He nudged Varo, who was also transfixed on the fight. He looked up and Caius thought he heard a low growl from the man’s jowls.

“What are they doing?” the steward muttered as the column marched right across the Emperor’s box, cutting off the crowd from the fighters. Both of them stopped fighting and turned to face the oncoming group. The Emperor himself stood as a short looking man marched from the front of the column to the middle, to face the Emperor. He was wearing a helmet that covered most of his face, but it left his mouth clear so he could still be heard. His armour had the look of silver; it glittered in the glorious sunshine, the chainmail like a million tiny stars. His shoulder pads were plate, as were his leg guards, but the rest was the chainmail. Caius leaned over to Varo.

“Who is that?”

“The Captain of the Veteran Guard.”

“What, nothing else to tell me?”

“If I knew his name, I’d say. I asked him once and I got a steely glare, harder than his armour. It’s a special kind that they give to the veteran guard. It’s old Karathi kind of steel making. Makes it hold just that little bit stronger.”

The Captain strode forward, his hand upon his sword hilt.

“Your majesty! Can it be that you consider the Guard inadequate to keep the Empire safe? Because I can’t see any other reason that you would choose Zalantor over any of these men!”

“Captain if you felt lonely, all you needed to do was to ask, I would happily have given you a seat.” Karlius called out, earning him a disapproving glance from the Emperor.

“You wish to prove that Zalantor is not the man to represent me?” The Emperor replied.

“Indeed. The guard will nominate a champion to fight both Zalantor and the whelp that he was about to crush.” That earned him Arol’s annoyed glare.

“And who is this champion?” The Emperor asked.

“Their captain.” The reply came, and he cast aside his shield. He then drew his sword, as did the rest of the guard and shouted to the sky,

“Axeborn! Axeborn! We are your chosen, to keep your mighty empire safe! We shall not falter, we shall never yield, though our bodies be pierced with shot, our shields cloven, our weapons notched and blunted. We endure and while we endure, there shall be no end to Karm’s Empire.” Caius felt a small chill as they finished, he had little doubt that they would fulfil that oath.

Zalantor and Arol glanced at each other, before turning back to the Captain, their swords at the ready.

The Emperor shrugged and sat back down, all three of them taking the cue to fight. The Captian strode forward confidently, though he was at least a head shorter than Zalantor. The two decided to split up and attack him from both sides, but the Captain was clearly too clever for that. He rushed at Arol, perhaps sensing that he was slightly uneasy. He moved incredibly quickly for how heavy his armour looked, delivering devastating slashes that Arol barely managed to block.

Then he moved in closer, as Arol reeled under another blow he slipped under his guard and grabbed hold of Arol’s sword arm and twisted, hard. He gave a yelp of pain and dropped the sword, and as he did the captain head-butted him. He tumbled backwards, and while not unconscious was unable to drag himself out of the dust.

The Captain then turned on Zalantor. The two stared at each other for a moment before rushing forward with roars and delivering a ferocious rally of blows. It was similar to the duel with Iro Krannol earlier, only made ten times as incredible to watch. Zalantor had stepped up a notch, his short sword moved as a blur. Yet the Captain moved at the same speed, he used both of his hands to hurl devastating blows and to hold rock solid defences.

For a few minutes this continued, while Arol tried to drag himself away from the melee. Then came the definitive moment. Zalantor feinted and at the speed they were fighting the Captain fell for it. He dived low and drove the sword towards the exposed gut area. There was a clanging sound of metal on metal and silence fell, save a few gasps from the crowd.

The Captain dropped his sword and gazed down at where the sword had hit. Then, he reached out a gauntlet and grabbed Zalantor by the throat, who dropped his sword in surprise. As it fell, the whole crowd saw that it was utterly free of blood.

“Karathi craftsmanship indeed. I often wonder why the Emperor felt the need to slaughter them.” Varo muttered.

The Captain tore Zalantor’s helmet from his head, the blonder hair falling to his shoulders, his face a picture of bemusement.

“You’ve had your blow.” The Captain shouted so the crowd could hear, though Caius sensed a small note of pain, perhaps the sword had cracked a rib.

“And now I’ll have mine.” He finished, and drove a fist into Zalantor’s face. The general crumpled to the ground as the sound of the impact echoed around the stadium. There was a silence and then applause from all around the stadium, the crowd was clearly impressed by the display. The Captain turned and picked up his sword and shield and bowed before the Emperor, before leading his troop out of the grounds and back into the city.

As squires rushed onto the field and tended to the unconscious Zalantor and the by now upright Arol, the Emperor stood and his voice boomed from the box.

“My people, I hope you enjoyed the entertainment and I think we all should celebrate the winners today and wish General Zalantor a good recovery. To all of you, I say long live the Empire and long live my brother!”

A cheer went around the stadium and the people began filing out, muttering excitedly about the tournament. And why not, it was certainly one of the more entertaining ones Caius had ever seen.

A remarkably long chapter, but I quite like writing a long chapter, it gives me a sense of accomplishment

Senator

Default Re: Empire and Republic (Updated Chapter10 4th February)

Chapter 11 here!

Chapter 11
    Maurice pushed his way through the crowd of people that filled the marketplace. Killam’s Reach was one of the largest cities in the Republic, and it showed. Everywhere there was somebody selling something different. Smells of so many different foods and animals wafted through the air and Maurice liked what he smelt and saw.

He and Seamus had headed back to a road and followed it south west, for Cuell’s camp had been set up in the forest between the sources of two great Kaprean rivers. Naturally, towns had sprung up near such rivers, and Killam’s Reach was most successful. Maurice wasn’t entirely sure who Killam was or why the locals felt the need to name a town after him, but he supposed that it was nice to be remembered in such a way.

Seamus was a little way behind, limping slightly. During their practice fights along the way, he’d tripped over a log and landed awkwardly. Still, he wasn’t going to blame Seamus for that, fighting with bladed weapons for practice would make any newcomer to the art of fighting nervous. His shirt had been torn and stitched back together rather messily after another close strike nearly sliced him open. Maurice glanced down at his own silver coloured cloth, it had not been damaged at all; the poor lad hadn’t even managed to land a blow after a week.

“Why are we here?” Seamus half shouted above the din. He was wearing Maurice’s gauntlets, which while out of place on his lean frame helped keep Archie’s stone hidden.

“Well, first off we get a bed for the night which hasn’t got a family of rabbits living in it. Secondly, I have someone here who owes me a favour.” Maurice replied as they began to reach the outskirts of the marketplace. The crowds began to thin as they entered some of the back streets.

“You seem to know where to go.” Seamus pointed out. “Were you born here?”

Maurice checked to make sure that nobody was listening, before saying in a lowered voice.

“No, I’m an Empire lad myself. Best not ask again while we’re in Kaprean heartlands. But this is a friendly town when it comes to mercenaries such as myself.”

They continued through several back streets until they found themselves in another busy road. It led all the way to the market place; Maurice could make out the throng of people from here. Opposite them stood an old set of buildings. He quickly picked out the shop which had the sign,

“Grubtrum’s Smithy.” And motioned for Seamus to follow. He pushed on the door and it opened with a small creak. Inside, it was dimly lit. Shields lay on shelves, with spears and swords piled up nearby for the viewers pleasure. There was nobody here, which didn’t surprise Maurice, there was little call for weapons in an age of peace.

As he and Seamus stood there, there came a loud cough and an old man hobbled in through one of the doors at the back of the shop. He gazed at them.

“Can I help you with anything, gentlemen?” he asked politely.

“It’s Maurice.” He replied gruffly. The man’s face changed instantly.

“Oh my dear boy! I thought you’d found yourself a grave when you said that you were going to join up with that gang of thieves in the woods! Now come, tell old Grubtrum about it!”

“Fortunately, this young lad here saved me. I’d be nothing by smoking ash if he hadn’t helped me.”

The old man stared at Seamus curiously.

“Why exactly do you have him wearing your gauntlets like a pair of oversized mittens?”

“He’s a Host.” Maurice explained.

“Ah.” The old man didn’t bat an eyelid. “Which one?”

Archibald, Aspect of Conjuring, at your service.” Maurice heard Archie’s voice in his head, and the old man must have as well, because he nodded as Archie spoke.

“A nice one eh? I once knew a Host, terrible shame, had Death’s Mistress as an Aspect. Poor chap hanged himself a few weeks later, her whispers drove him mad.”

My sister can be most upsetting to her Hosts, it’s true.” Archie replied.

“Anyway. I’ve come here for some help.”

“Help? With what? Work?”

“No, nothing like that. I’m looking for some men to help me.”

“With what exactly?”

“Raiding the Gaol.”
    The old man froze, staring at Maurice like he was mad.

“The Gaol? You mean the local one, right?”

“No. The real one, the one with all of the nightmares that good old Emperor Armius walled up.”

“Maurice. You won’t find a man alive who’d go in there. The place is guarded from what I’ve heard by handpicked Emperor approved soldiers! And inside….no one has entered it for twenty three years! Who knows what horrors lie within?”

“What lies there is enough treasure to make me enough money to stay comfortable for life.”

“Or terrors enough to turn you into a raving lunatic for life.”

Maurice glared at him for a moment. The old man’s shoulders finally sagged and with a sigh he said,

“Pah. Fine, I’ll ask around for some willing boys. Anything else you need?”

“Yes, I’d quite like some decent clothing for my companion here. With some form of handwear to hide his little mark.”

“Very well.” The old man marched round the counter and grabbed Seamus, directing him towards the back of the shop. The boy turned to Maurice, his face filled with panic.

“Don’t worry Seamus. He’s just going to measure you for the clothing. He knows quite a few good tailors.”
    The old man directed Seamus round the back and pushed him through a door, before emerging a few moments later.

“I left him with one of my brothers. He hasn’t got much to do since a wolf took his leg off during a hunting trip.”

“Lovely.” Maurice murmured, leaning on the counter as he did. “But I do have to ask for some information.”

“Oh? On who?”

“Senator Cuell. I contracted with him but….well, we left on bad terms.”

“Cuell? Well, last I’d heard he was chased out of Port Kaprea with the senate calling for his head. We had messengers come through half a month ago proclaiming him an outlaw. Why do you ask, if you ask me you were lucky to get out when you did.”

“Well, I found this in his chest as I ran.” He pulled out the sapphire necklace. Grubtrum froze as it saw it and Maurice could see his eyes filling with greed.

“T-that’s a sapphire! I’ve only seen one before, but this…you are a lucky man.”

“How much.”

“More than any of the crooks in the market could afford, that’s for certain. At least two good sized chests of gold Axeheads. Maybe another chest filled with coppers if you find someone generous.”

“I’ll keep it actually.”

“You, turn down the offer of money? Did Cuell hit you on the head particularly hard? Or…have you gotten to the age where you become all sentimental?”

“No, its one of those things too valuable to sell. A good keepsake of a crazy bastard. Perhaps one day, when I’m old and choking to death on my own blood, I’ll think back on the good old days.”

“At which point someone like me will snatch it from your dying body and sell it.”

“I’ve no doubt about that…pah, maybe I am growing too old for this. Do you know why Cuell would be carrying this with him? Is it some sort of gift from the Senate?”

“If the Senate gave away it’s sapphires to every Senate member, they’d have run out within five years. No, I don’t quite know the significance of such a beautiful example of a necklace but…whatever it is, I damn well hope you don’t run into him again. I suspect he’s eager to have it back. And the boy no doubt, Cuell would be keen to have a pet Host to do his bidding.”

As they spoke Seamus came out of the back room, accompanied by a man on a crutch. His leg has gone from the knee down and his face still winced with pain every time he knocked it against something.

“He’s a small lad, brother. If he’s going around with the bald bastard over there, I’d go for a dark leather meself. And handwise, I’d go for one dark leather one covering the hand with the pretty green stone.”

“What kind of idiot only has one glove? Any man who’d heard of a host would spot it instantly!”
    Maurice shouted in response.

“Perhaps, but they’d be damn scared of one who carried himself in such a smart looking outfit. You really think the Senate would look so impressive if they wore fisherman’s used clothes and covered themselves in ?”

“What do you think Seamus.” Maurice tilted his head as he said that. After all, he wouldn’t have to wear it.

“Well… I’d have two gloves but keep the other for when it got really cold and wear the first one every day.”

If there’s one thing an Aspect can appreciate, it’s a Host who carries himself with dignity, while wearing clothes to strike fear into his enemies.”

You see, if the voice in your head says it’s good, it must be!” the one legged man said with a laugh.

“Didn’t that man who killed his neighbour a few streets away say the same thing when they hanged him?” Grubtrum replied.
    Seamus gulped at that and Maurice couldn’t help but smile a little. He was after all, a mere boy but still, he felt rather father like, making jibes at his child’s awkwardness.

“How long should it take?” Maurice asked, moving himself off the counter and making ready to leave.

“I’d say about three days. We got some leather in a day or two ago, so we’ll just need to put it all together really. That’s another favour I no longer owe you by the way.”

“I appreciate it, Grubtrum. If you want to find us, check the Black Keg, I’ll be staying there for the next few days.”

“That’s fine by me, old friend. Have a good day.”

“You as well.” Maurice motioned to Seamus and they both left the shop, Maurice heading straight down the road towards the marketplace.

“The Inn we’ll be staying at is just down the road. There’ll be a few rough sorts down there, but I’m sure you could handle yourself just nicely.”

They finally reached the Black Keg, a rather nice looking wooden building with a sign swinging near the door, with a black Keg of beer on it. Maurice pushed on the door and went inside; Seamus close behind, as they entered the tavern. It was smoky within, coming from the fireplace no doubt, and had that wonderful smell of taverns, the kind of old wood and alcohol which is most comforting after a long day of work.

The innkeeper was busy wiping the mugs with a rag that looked like it had been cleaned once, many years ago. He headed that way, passing tables full of burly and grim looking men. The bartender looked up, a tired look in his eyes.

“Looking for a room are you?”

“Yes, one for three nights.”

“I got one if you can pay.”

Maurice placed one of his few gold axeheads he found in Cuell’s camp on the counter.
    “Will that do?”

“Fair enough, room is upstairs, first door on the left. He glanced at Seamus, then back at Maurice.
    “And er…try to keep it quiet.”

“Did I pay you to make assumptions?” Maurice glared at the innkeeper and began to head away.

“I’m sorry, of course.” The innkeeper mumbled and got back to washing his mug.

“I’m sure.”

He motioned to Seamus and they headed round the back of the bar, heading up some rickety looking steps. As they reached the top they found the room they were looking for. It was drap and something smelled like it had recently died in there, but it was a palace compared to a dirt floor. The mattresses looked as though they’d been stolen from a rich man’s rubbish pile, but there were two beds in the room, so he didn’t feel much like complaining.

“Right, you get settled in, I just need to ask around in here briefly.” Maurice turned to the door and opened it, and found a very drunk man staring at him. He had a small mug in his right hand, and in his left a clenched fist. Maurice recognised him instantly. He was Barnabus, an unpleasant thug who he’d had a few run-ins with before. If he wasn’t drunk, he was fighting, and even when he was drunk there was still a good chance that he was fighting someone.
    He gave a toothy grin.

“Flower picker.” He muttered drunkenly. That was the derogatory term that he’d come up with to describe Maurice. Sadly, he also didn’t realise that being a flower picker meant that Maurice knew the sorts of leaves that could be slipped into a drink. These leaves would then lead to several days of massive discomfort.

“Still picking the flowers?”

“Yeah, I heard of this particularly special sort that can turn a man’s arms and legs to stone within a week. It saves your head until last.”
    Barnabus grunted and stared over at Seamus, who was busy unpacking what little they had onto the bed.

“Interesting company you keep, Flower Picker. I never knew you were that sort of fella.”

“Careful now, I can take your insults, but I don’t know if he can.”

“HA! And what will that little do? Cry on me?”

“He killed at least five men, though it may have been more, the limbs were just everywhere. One of them was still alive after being sliced in half.”

“Well? Boy? Are you the murderous sort our friend says you are.”

“Er…yes, I killed….” Seamus began counting on his fingers. “About eight men this week alone. Some of them were even soldiers.”

“You see. Now get out Barnabus. I’ve had a long and irritating journey, and I’ll put I’ll knife in you before you ruin my rest.”

“Bah. Enjoy yourself Flower Picker. Believe me; you’ll be dying in a ditch before too long.”
    The door slammed and Maurice turned to Seamus.

“If he tries anything, kill him. Preferably involving some form of mild torture first.”
    He stormed out of the room, leaving Seamus behind. He had some business in the city to take care of before they left.

Senator

Default Re: Empire and Republic (Updated Chapter 11 17th February)

I must confess that I spent a while working on this chapter. Because hey, a few chapters in...somebody has to suffer . I must say, I do enjoy writing about the Blackgulls...

Chapter 12
    Rolan was in quite a predicament. In the week following the first meeting, he’d become paranoid about Stormsail finding out about his actual mission. He still wasn’t entirely sure what to do, should he stick with Blackwaters, or try to topple him? To make matters worse, he’d been invited to Karla Blackgull’s house for dinner. The old lady had scared him at the meeting and having to actually talk with her alone was a rather daunting prospect.

After finishing up the senatorial business for the day, mostly involving the continuing hunt for Senator Cuell and more issues over piracy, Rolan headed down to the House of Blackgull. It, much like every other house of note, was on People’s Lane, and as he neared it he felt himself grow colder. It was like the mere thought of Karla Blackgull scared him.

But still, he continued, eventually coming to the very doors of the house. Above it lay the mighty symbol of the Blackgull and below it the three words ‘Founders, Leaders, Protectors.’ He hesitated, before knocking three times. The door slowly opened, a sheepish looking boy opened the door.

“Madame Blackgull is expecting me.” Rolan said softly. The boy stared at him for a moment, before turning and calling out,

“Grandmother! There’s a Senator here to see you!”

Rolan stepped inside just as the old figure of Karla Blackgull descended the stairs in front of him. She wore a black dress, befitting of a widow and an old matriarch. Her eyes seemed to burn with delight when she saw Rolan.

“Thank you, Ralo dear, now go and tell the cook to prepare something for our guest.” She said to the boy. He nodded and dashed out of the room. Rolan removed his hat as the boy did so and, seeing nowhere to put it, kept on clutching it.

“Do you like my grandson? He’s ever such a clever boy.”

“You must save a lot on wages if he does the servant’s jobs.” Rolan hoped that a little joke might lighten the mood.

“You have no idea. Anyway, you know why you are here?”

“I’m guessing something to do with our little meeting a week ago?”

“Absolutely. As it so happens, I have a little friend coming in who will help us in our quest to topple Lyson.”

First name terms. Clearly the two had some form of history, though Rolan knew little of their interaction. As far as he knew, Karla Blackgull was not a speech maker and so would never have had a serious public debate with Blackwaters.

She turned on her heels and beckoned him to follow. He passed through a door into a rather large hall.

“The old ballroom. I remember my grandfather used to love hosting such wonderful events, for all the great and the good.” She said wistfully. Rolan cursed under his breath, of course, her grandfather was the founder of the republic, Silus Blackgull. There was a small table with two chairs next to it and she beckoned him towards it.

“Come and sit, we’ll likely be having our guest here soon.”

“Then why only two chairs?”

“He won’t be needing one.”

Rolan didn’t much like the sound of that but he sat down nonetheless. They sipped the wine that was on the table for a little while before Rolan heard a small crash and a bump. He instinctively sat up in the chair as the doors were pushed open and two burly men frogmarched a man with a bag over his head.

“Ah, our guest of honour.” Blackgull began a small smirk on her face.

“Be dears and remove the sack.” It was and beneath it lay a face that Rolan knew well. Bryson Blackwaters, Lyson’s son. He mentally cursed his luck. If he knew about Rolan’s supposed role….

As it so happened, he began protesting as soon as the bag was removed and he was thrown in front of the old woman.

“Do you know who I am? I’m a senator of near ten years and my father w-“he stared up and his voice froze in his throat. Karla Blackgull gave a small tut and leaned forward, gripping Bryson’s chin.

“Your father, my dear boy, is powerless here. This is my little nest, and you are the prey I’ll feed to my chicks.”

“W-What is this all about Madame Blackgull?”

“A week ago, one of my grandchildren was raped. Repeatedly. Now, I’ll ask you a simple question. Were you involved?”

“I would…I would never dare defile one of your lovely granddaughters!” he protested, though he was panicking far too much for it not to be a lie.

“Oh, I don’t doubt it, but it was actually my grandson who was left on the side of the street. Now, I would hate to be the person who did that and denied knowledge of it. After all….persuasion is one of my talents.”

“Please, please Madame Blackgull. I swear I didn’t mean to! I was… I was completely out of my mind at the time! And so was your grand-“

She struck him across the face, hard. The sound was sharp enough to cut a man in two and Rolan felt himself tense again, which he didn’t think was physically possible at that moment.

“Refer to my grandson again, you cretin, and I’ll have you nailed to your father’s front door.” Her face turned black and blue with rage and the man who was barely out of his early twenties quivered before her.

“Please, I’ll…I’ll do anything! I’ll give you whatever you want.”

“I don’t doubt it, but a message must be sent. Punishment must be delivered and I have just the person to mete out such justice. KORLO!” she shrieked the last name and another door opened. In waddled a very little man, with a simple, yet joyful look on his face.

“Mother?” he asked.

“No dear, I’m not your mother.”

He turned to Bryson and his pig like eyes lit up with yet more joy.

“Mother…do I get to hurt the bad man?” Bryson’s face turned white as a sheet.

“Yes. Yes you do my dear.”

“Can I break his arms? Oh please let me mother, I love arm breaking!”

“No. Just his fingers in his left hand.” Bryson began to whimper and struggle as the two thugs grabbed hold of him.

“And then his arm?”

She turned to the two thugs.

“Make sure he doesn’t kill the prisoner. I dislike cleaning this place at the best of times.”

And Bryson was dragged out screaming with Korlo waddling along after them, chuckling in his childlike way. Karla slowly clenched and unclenched her fist as the door slammed.

“Your…grandson seems delightful.” Rolan internally panicked as he said those words. If she knew…if she knew…

“Oh indeed. 30 years old, my first son’s eldest, but alas he suffered from some terrible ailment. Poor lad, the brain of a five year old in such a deformed body. He would have brought shame upon any normal family but… I discovered his one talent, his utter inability to comprehend suffering. It started with rats, then with dogs. The first man I gave to him he tortured so utterly that it was pointless to keep him alive.”

“And you could still love someone like that?”

“Of course, he’s family. After all, I’m not the one being tortured, am I?”

As she said those words there was a loud scream, a long, drawn out one that slowly faded into silence, and that silence fell like an anvil upon the room. Rolan felt himself shift uncomfortably in his seat.

“It would appear that Korlo found his favourite hammer.”

As she spoke, a man hurried in, carrying a plate of small chunks of fish. He placed them on the small table between Rolan and Karla.

“I seasoned them as you like them, Madame Blackgull.” He said, before bowing and exiting.

Karla picked up one of the chunks and placed it delicately in her mouth. Rolan decided to do the same. The fish was warm, and once he placed it in his mouth it nearly burst with flavour. He did consider himself quite the gourmet when it came to fish. Then again, that might have been why he had gained weight over the previous decade.

“Delicious. My compliments to the chef.”

Karla made an approving grunt as she chewed, and as she did so the door was opened again and the whimpering figure of Bryson Blackwaters was dragged in and thrown at her feet. He whimpered as his left hand hit the floor, and they seemed to be misshapen and at strange angles.

“He’s got a nasty bruise on his arm, madame. The little tried to go for his arm.” One of the two thugs muttered.

“Tsk. Tell Korlo that if he does it again he won’t be given any more people for a month.” One of the thugs left, the other standing guard over the broken man. Karla leaned forward.

“Now, you little piece of defective seed, I believe you have some more information for me.”

“What is it? Please, just don’t give me back to that….that…”

“I want to know if your father sent anyone to spy on Senator Stormsail and myself. I want names. I want them now. If you fail to give me this information, I will give you back to Korlo and this time he will have full access to the kitchen. He once boiled a man alive in the stew pot. I’d hate for you to suffer the same fate.”

Rolan felt his heart stop, as Bryson gazed up and seemed to notice Rolan for the first time. He turned to Karla with a small, desperate smile on his face.

“Him.” He said, nodding towards Rolan.

Karla froze, slowly turning her head towards him and staring at him, her eyes filled with a glimmer. Rolan felt his heart sink down into his feet, fear overwhelmed him, but he resolved himself, keeping calm always served his father well. She slowly stood up and casually trod on Bryson’s fingers. He screamed and she stopped, her foot hovering above them.

“You will go back to your father and you will spy on him for me. If you do not bring adequate information, I will have you brought here. If you fail in providing an adequate excuse, I will hand you over to Korlo. If he fails to keep you alive in the days of torment that will follow, I will mourn about as much as I did over my husband, which will involve several barrels of wine and multiple celebrations.”

The thug grabbed Bryson and dragged him out sobbing, while Karla sat back down, her eyes never leaving Rolan. Her shoulders heaved as she breathed heavily; Rolan supposed that she might be in a bad mood, to say the least.

“So…a spy, eh?” She said slowly, slowly popping another fish piece into her mouth and chewing very slowly.

“Madame Blackgull, I assure you…”

“Did you tell Lyson anything?”

“Merely that you were discussing the campaign for election. I said nothing about anything else.”

She sat in thought for a moment, before slowly nodding her head.

“I respected your father for his neutrality. I see a bit of him in you; you obviously want what’s best for your family.”

“I do, Madame.” Rolan felt his heartbeat quicken again. Was he not going to die horribly?

“The Blackgulls are loyal friends, Swiftboat. The fact you didn’t tell Lyson everything means that you want a little bit better for yourself.”

“I’m…I’m undecided.” Truth was the better part of valour in thus situation.

“To be half hearted in this city is to risk destruction. My grandfather knew that well.”

“So…you aren’t going to kill me?”

“Before you were born, my grandfather was judging a traitor, and he discovered that that traitor merely worked because he wasn’t getting what he was owed by the Senate. So, my grandfather offered him recompense, plus interest.”

“And did they go on to be fast friends and political allies?”

“No. As the traitor got up to embrace him, an arrow meant for my grandfather struck him full in the back. If he hadn’t pardoned him, the Founder might have died and who knows where we would have been!”

Rolan thought it best not to respond. After all…he had just been given a reprieve, though the image him as arrow fodder made him feel slightly queasy.

“So, I am going to let you live. Continue to work for Lyson, feed him information if you wish, some lies if you think it will work. But you will pledge firm support to me and Stormsail, even if it is in secret.”

“I’ll be honest, I don’t quite believe in Stormsail’s cause.”

“I’ll believe anything that allows me to cause Lyson Blackwaters untold misery. I can’t wait to see the day he falls from power and takes all of his disloyal scum with him. The Blackgull founded this Republic, and I, his successor, will take it back.
    Now, I suggest you leave and have a long think. The next meeting is next week. I’ll expect a response by then.”

“Of course, madame.” Rolan said, getting up and hurrying away, realising as he walked that he’d dropped his hat. He didn’t feel like grabbing it, and quickly shuffled out.

Father must’ve felt the same way, he thought to himself as he left the room.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Empire and Republic (Updated Chapter 12 11th March)

I hadn't read this before, but when it appeared at the top of the forum, I thought I would. Definitely a good choice; I'm enjoying it. It makes me think a little bit of A Song of Ice and Fire.

I'm intrigued to see what happens to all these threads of story next!

Senator

Default Re: Empire and Republic (Updated Chapter 12 11th March)

Right, new chapter, new PoV, more fun.

Chapter 13
    Iro Krannol was sitting at his desk. The Emperor had been kind enough to give him and Kiro a decent room within the Crown itself, a great honour for anyone, especially for a man who would one day rule a third of the Empire. His armour lay in the corner, the Falcon Faceguard lay at his side. He turned behind him, to see the maidservant still asleep in his bed. It was surprising how much women liked a man after winning a few jousts. He gave a wry smile and turned back.

He picked up the letter that he had just unsealed and began to read. His father had given it to him before they had left the Bluffs and told him to open it when he had the time. He considered now to be the right time.

“My son. I’m not a paranoid man, but I fear greatly for my children.” Iro raised an eyebrow at that, his father was notorious for being a cold man. Even to his favourite son he was little more than lukewarm. To someone like Kiro, he showed little more than open contempt.

“Your sister’s marriage to Prince Silanus will be the crowning glory for this family. Yet….there are many in our lands who do not want this to occur. The Bryants still haven’t forgiven me after their traitorous father was cast over the Bluff.”

Iro gripped the letter tightly. Copil Bryant had tried to kill him, coming to into his bed chamber at a late hour with a dagger. Only the sacrifice of a young guardsman had saved him. His father’s face at the sentencing was one of pure death and only Kiro’s pleading spared the rest of the Bryants from exile. He could see most of them wanting bloody revenge.

“I’ve heard whispers of plots against your life, and your sisters. I kept her at the Bluffs for protection, but I believe that they may strike when she goes to Amorta City for her wedding. I ask you; keep an eye on your followers, if any of them do anything strange, I want it reported to me.”

The tone of the letter had changed, anger seemed to have taken Lord Krannol, which was also unusual; he was never really a man to get angry, at least, never in public.

“Not only that, but there’s an issue that you need to discuss with the Emperor on my behalf…”

Iro stroked his smooth chin. He was barely halfway through the letter but already his father had poured more emotion out than anything he had ever seen before. He glanced back at the letter, but then there was a soft knock at the door.

“Come in.” he said softly. The door opened and Kiro peeked his head round the door.

“I saw you and the girl go in, is everything-” he glanced up and noticed her asleep. He blushed slightly.

“I see. That was quick.”

Now Iro felt himself blush slightly, but he shook his head and glared at his brother.

“What do you want?”

“Prince Silanus is calling for you.”

Iro stood up suddenly, leaving the letter on the table. A call from Silanus at this time?

“Why?”

“Apparently he wants to know a bit about our sister.”

“I see, thank you Kiro.”

As he clasped his cloak to his back and stood up from the table, Kiro gazed at the sleeping servant and then muttered to Iro,

“I’ll keep her company if you want.”

Iro turned his head as he passed. He wasn’t a vengeful man but he supposed he could make an exception.

“An excellent joke, we’ll make a jester of you yet my dear brother. The closest you’ve come to having a woman in your bed is when that servant fell asleep on it.”

He grinned as Kiro blushed and glared at him. He looked adorable when he was angry and always had done, even in the old days of childhood teasing.

He was about to throw more insults when he felt the air tighten in his throat, just enough to be uncomfortable, like when you walk into a strong headwind and it takes your breath away. He glanced down at Kiro’s fist and it was clenched. Damned aspect always gave Kiro an unfair advantage, even in such squabbles. He grunted, but could form no insults to hurl.

Ouch, I can feel his male pride hurting from here” the Aspect’s voice, whispering like the wind itself, sounded through Iro’s head.

“He deserves this punishment.” Kiro muttered, his fist not tightening but not slacking either.

What, taking his breath away? I suspect that the servant girl took that beforehand, along with other things.”

Kiro snickered slightly, as Iro fumed silently.
    Damned Aspect, they always know how to hurt a man.
    He felt the air returning in his throat as Kiro unclenched his fist, that smirk still plastered on his face.

“As always brother, you win.” Iro grumbled as he hurried past. It was true, beating Kiro was nigh on impossible. He could stop the air in your throat, or summon a wind to blow you off your feet. Perhaps that’s why father hated him; he was the only one in the Bluffs who could beat Iro with a wave of his hand.

He headed through the hallways, having to ask directions from a few guards, before ending up at Silanus’ room. He knocked twice and he heard the voice from within call back,

“Enter.”

He pushed open the door, and saw Silanus leaning against the opposite wall staring at him with those red eyes. Iro bowed out of politeness.

“You called, my prince?”

“I hope I wasn’t interrupting anything?”

“Of course not, it’s always a pleasure.”

“Thank you. I must confess that I have a small problem.”

“Oh? Anything I can help with? Swordplay perhaps? ” He knew what he wanted but thought it best to feign ignorance, just to let him explain.

“No actually, it’s to do with…your sister.”

Iro frowned.

“Really? Is she not up to your standards? Did the descriptions and her letters not convince you?” They’d sent at least two bards to the court to sing songs of her beauty and sent at least five messengers with letters from her. It was safe to say that father was desperate to see this marriage succeed.

“No, it’s not that. It’s me. I’m having trouble coming up with a reply to these letters.”

“My Prince, if I may say, what she thinks of you doesn’t entirely factor into this. She seems delighted with you as it is; proving yourself is a waste of your time.”Iro walked over and leaned next to Silanus as he spoke, maybe he might be able to make him spill out his heart if he stood nearer.

“Yes but…I wish to feel worthy of her before making her my wife.” Iro gave a small tut at that. This man was idealistic to say the least. He suspected that Lyssa would be less than impressed by such a simpering fool.

“I’m as old as you my prince, and I tell you that such feelings are understandable. Yet, I’ve learned much from my father on this and making a woman love you is about as easy as trying to clear a wyvern nest with your bare hands. Especially someone in as high a position as yourself.” He paused for a moment before continuing.
    “My sister is a remarkable woman. She tamed a wild horse at 15, sings the great songs of the Empire in a voice that makes the skies weep. I was moved to tears the last time she sang, and I was not alone, six of my father’s personal bodyguard, who saw service in the Great Revolution, all cried like new-borns. ”

Silanus’ face seemed to grow happier with every word he spoke. He was hardly surprised, at least twenty men had already proposed to her, including one bard who made an impromptu entrance into her bedchamber. They found him unconscious, with his own lyre smashed over his head, with Lyssa standing over him. It still didn’t stop the fool though, even as he was cast over the side of the bluff he asked for her hand.

“And what does she love in a man?”

“What would I know of my sister’s preferences? I don’t spend my time watching all of the courtiers to see which ones talk to her.”

Silanus frowned.

“But, from what I’ve heard of your family, that…well…”

“Are you suggesting I-that I’d dare defile your bride?” Iro spluttered. For Silanus to think that…

“Well, your father is quite notorious for that.”

Iro gulped, it was true, his father had deflowered all five of his sisters, and had tried to encourage his children to do the same to their own.

“I am not my father; his sisters were weak, simpering idiots, fit only for childbearing. My sister is a strong woman. I’d not dare try it, even if I wanted to, and none of my brothers would try anything like it.”

“I see. Then, you truly know nothing of what she likes?”

“My prince. My sister is not some greedy whore. She would not marry an unlikeable man, even if he gave her all the Empire’s treasures, then invaded Kaprea and sacked it all for her. In dealing with her, just try and be Silanus, not Prince Silanus. You aren’t bad looking, for an Axeborn, and you seem like a nice sort of man, though a little bit self-conscious. I think my sister will like you, though if you wish to push on with this idea of yours and try to make her love you…well, who am I to say no?”

“You think she’ll like me, really?”

“Of course. Well, she will once she reads the letter about you that will be sent to her.”

Silanus’ face shot up in panic.

“Wait, what? You- You were sent to see what I was like?”

“No, why would you think that? It was Kiro actually, but I might as well tell him about what I think.”

Silanus face turned red again.
    He blushes more than I do, Iro thought to himself. Still, Lyssa liked him, so why wouldn’t she like someone as awkward as Silanus?

“My Prince. I suggest you stop panicking, you still have half a year before you actually meet her, maybe less, so you still have time to think about this.”

He turned to the door, and as he opened it, Silanus called out one more time,

“Iro…thank you.”

“The pleasure was all mine.” Iro said with a soft grin, and he closed the door behind him.

Senator

Default Re: Empire and Republic (Updated front page with links and character descriptions) 17th March

Phew, I've actually got 3 more chapters complete after this, with two more in editing. Should be fun, please enjoy this chapter.

Chapter 14
    Seamus grunted as the one legged Grubtrum rechecked his measurements.

This is so undignified,
    he thought, as the man grunted and leaned on his crutch for support. He’d explained, in excruciatingly vivid detail, how the wolf had grabbed him and torn his leg off. Combined with the touching and the measuring, it was safe to say he was feeling slightly queasy.

“Hmph. You haven’t grown during the past three days, so I suppose this will fit.” The man grunted, throwing a white sack towards him, catching him by surprise as it tumbled out of his grip.. He then grabbed his crutch and hopped out of the door.

“Wait, what is this?”

“Your clothes. Want me to stay and watch?”

“No, no, no, just asking.” Seamus shook his head and opened the sack as the door closed. Inside was his new outfit. He pulled out the tunic first; it was dark leather, with three buttons near the top. From what he’d been told, the leather had been tanned from the hide of the biggest bull the Grubtrums had ever seen. He only hoped that it could block an arrow. He pulled that on, then his breeches, then one of his gloves. At the bottom of the sack he saw something else; he reached down and pulled out a cloak. It had been woven from some fine cloth, and on it was a huge symbol, a purple wheel surrounded by an army of purple figures. He swept that around his shoulders and just to test it, he reached for the hood that was attached to it and pulled it over his head.

“How do I look?” he asked Archie.

Well, I only see through your eyes, but from what I can see, menacing. The cloak is a nice touch, although I’ll be damned how they knew my symbol. That thing should only really be known by Hosts.”

He pulled down the hood and put his pouch by his side. He placed his other glove into the pouch and turned towards the door, taking care to make the cloak flutter behind him. He’d heard the stories of the great heroes, and all of them had contained a cape flutter at some point. He marched out into the main shop, and saw Maurice standing near the counter, talking to about six other people.

The bald mercenary turned to face him as he stepped out, and raised an amused eyebrow.

“So, our resident Host has readied himself.” The people turned their eyes to him and Seamus could feel their gazes burning into him. Some gazed at him withinterest, some with a hint of…fear perhaps.
    Typical.

Grubtrum turned as well and looked Seamus up and down. He grinned and then turned back to Maurice.

“See! He’s got a lovely outfit. Old Grubtrum never goes wrong by any of his friends!”

“I’ll tell that to the three who are busy swinging over by the gallows.” Maurice said with a throaty chuckle.

“They were careless, not my fault.” The old man shrugged. Apparently Grubtrum picked and chose his friends whenever it suited him.

How reassuring.

Seamus walked round the side of the counter and stood nervously next to Maurice. He glanced at the woven cloak, before turning back to Grubtrum.

“A cloak as well? You went above and beyond there.”

“Well, actually we didn’t make it, apparently the leatherworker had one that he’d got from a Host a long time ago. It’s good quality too, and just to be sure, I made my grandson wear it to check that it didn’t have anything deadly on it.”

“It’s a good cloak.” Seamus said with a nod. Maurice shrugged and turned to him.

“Anyway, now that we’re done with that, I’d like to introduce you to the team that Grubtrum managed to pull together. All of them are trustworthy and all of them are strong.”

He pointed at all six of them, from left to right.

“This young man is Corwell.” He pointed to the man with long red hair, and a face that oozed confidence. “He may be young, but he’s killed at least twenty Kaprean military types.”

“Next is Chione, so accurate with her bow that she has only missed once in her entire life.” She nodded her head in response.
    "Then we have the Growlth brothers, then Alf the Slasher and last of all we have Murr. He may seem old, but he fought Wyverns and Ogres during the Great Revolution, so show him some respect.”

The six of them gave curt nods. As expected, all of them were heavily armed.

“You six, this is Seamus. He’s a Host, but don’t worry, he isn’t completely mad and as long as you don’t make an enemy of him you’ll be alright. And of course, you all know who I am.” And with that he swept his black cloak
    across his shoulders, an old tattered thing with embroidery of a red tower atop a black rock.

“Now, I believe I should tell you about what I intend to do. I received some information from this young man about a vast amount of treasure. Now, the location of this treasure is located in the Gaol. And we are going to get it out of there.”

Murr tensed at that and began to talk.

“Maurice, do you seriously suggest that we break into the Gaol? I’ve seen the things they threw in there, and I tell you that eight people aren’t enough.”

“Yes I am suggesting it, because the survivors will have more treasure than they can carry. Plus, aren’t all of the monsters chained up in there? So there really isn’t much danger of us being killed.”

“I’m more interested on how we are going to cross the border into the Empire.” Chione said, leaning on her bow, a strong looking thing.

“The borders aren’t nearly as tight as they were ten years ago. I know a few people anyway, so we should be alright on that front. So, are you all in?”

All six of them nodded and the Growlth brothers put sacks over their backs, likely full of supplies.

“Good. We move out now, we should be there within a month if it all goes smoothly.” He turned back to Grubtrum.

“Thank you for your help old friend. Only a dozen more debts to repay.”

“You damned bastard, I’ll be paying off these debts for the rest of my life!”

“I should hope so.” Maurice laughed as he led the way out of the shop. The rest of the group followed him, with Seamus bringing up the rear, along with Chione.

He led the way through the streets, out through the southern gate, to follow the road south east to the border, but that was near a hundred miles away. On foot, it would be painful, but they didn’t really have the money to buy horses.

Seamus occasionally shot a glance over at Chione, she had her bow across her back, as well as a quiver, two daggers at her side, and some sort of cudgel as well. Her head was covered in short brown hair; her eyes were blue and glittered with the light of mischief. Maybe it was her weapons or maybe the fact that she was rather pretty that made him feel slightly nervous around her.

“You…erm…you seem well prepared.” Seamus said to her as they walked along, the rest of the group were also talking to each other. She gave a small smile in response and said,

“Well, there’s no guarantee you can always hit someone with the bow.”

“But you’ve never missed, at least, from what I heard.”

“True, but I’m only twenty, I’ve got many more shots that I could miss.”

Twenty! She’s barely older than I am and she looks like she could take me apart with two slices!

If, if you don’t mind me asking, how many have you killed?”

She reached a hand up to scratch the back of her neck.

“Hmm…hard to say really. Ten? Twenty? Something like that. You?”

“Erm…none.”

She raised an eyebrow at that.

“Really? What exactly is your Host’s power,kindness?”
    I’ll have you know, young lady, that this idiot can summon a sword out of thin air, thanks to me!” Archie practically spluttered in response. He reacted quickly enough when his own power was questioned.

“Neat trick, Sir Aspect. I’m just surprised that he hasn’t killed anyone, Grubtrum referred to him as the most terrifying being on this fair earth and that anyone who crosses him ends up cut to pieces.”

He may have exaggerated. Massively.”

I’m right here.” Seamus muttered, and he felt himself blush slightly. She turned to him, noticed his face, and laughed.

“You’re embarrassing him in front of the pretty lady Sir Aspect. How very unchivalrous of you.”

He hardly needs my help with embarrassing himself in front of pretty ladies. In fact I remember one time-“

“Shut up!” Seamus growled, his face really bright red now. He told this story to everyone; it was hardly his fault that he accidentally summoned a blade and cut a woman’s clothes. Granted, his attempts to apologise by grabbing her might have given the town the wrong impression.

“Don’t you worry about him Seamus. Think of it this way, when you do find someone you like, he’ll have to endure it.” She gave him a pat on the back and a cheeky wink, and he felt himself go slightly redder.

Don’t even bring that sort of nonsense up. One Host I had was particularly fond of women of comfort. After a while, I just sang songs in my head with my eyes closed, just to blot it out.” Archie said indignantly.

She gave a small giggle at that and crossed her arms as they continued walking.

“You two really are alike, deep down.”

“We are not alike!” Seamus and Archie shouted together and she laughed again, as they continued to walk.

Nearly six hours later, Maurice eventually called a halt, and they began to make a camp. But even as he raised his hand, an arrow shot straight past his head and buried itself in a nearby tree. The whole group turned to the right and on a small hill above them stood a man with a bow, surrounded by about twenty others, including four heavily armoured soldiers.
    Oh no...

Seamus’ heart nearly died in his chest as the man with the bow jumped down and moved up in front of the group, flanked by his small army.

“Hello, my dear bald mercenary friend. Did you miss my company?” Cuell said with a sick grin and even Maurice had nothing to say.
    Last edited by Lortano; March 21, 2015 at 05:40 PM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Empire and Republic (Updated Chapter 14) 21st March

I had fun reading it!

Senator

Default Re: Empire and Republic (Updated Chapter 14) 21st March

Chapter 15
    How did he find us? Seamus cautiously raised his hand to about waist height, ready in case there was a need to fight.

As if echoing his thoughts, Maurice quickly collected himself and asked,

“How exactly did you find us? I thought you lot were scattered by the soldiers.”

“As it so happens, tongues wag in Killam’s Reach for certain amounts of coin. And Kaprean soldiers, don’t make me laugh, it’ll take more than that to kill me. You on the other hand…you saw fit to steal my sapphire necklace. Do you know how precious that thing is to me?” Cuell said, a dangerous glint in his eye.

“Plainly worth more than your soldiers,” the mercenary noted. “I see that one of your retinue isn’t here. Dead, I presume?”

“Captured, dead, he’ll tell no-one anything about me, or where I went, he couldn’t even if he wanted to.”

“So instead of rescuing him, you dived for your treasure instead. How noble.”

Please don’t provoke him.
    He’d seen from his position exactly what Cuell had intended to do to Maurice that morning, less than a month ago. If he hadn’t found that guard patrol…

“If you haven’t noticed, you are stuck in an ambush. I have you outnumbered and with four trained warriors. There’s no way you can win.”

“Oh? These seven besides me are strong enough for two of your men, and I’ll happily gut you as well as my two dead soldiers.” Maurice placed his hand on his greatsword as he spoke. But the whole of Cuell’s group also seemed to grip their weapons tighter in response.

Cuell took a step forward and thrust his long nose into Maurice’s face. He seemed really angry now.

“You really are an insolent scumbag aren’t you?”

“It’s like you’ve looked into a lake for the first time.” Maurice responded.

Cuell’s face turned dark and before anyone could utter a word he reached into his robes and pulled out a dagger, with a flash thrusting it into Maurice’s gut. He stumbled back, the dagger still in him, and fell to one knee, blood starting to leak from the edges of the wound. He grunted in pain and Cuell just stood there, glaring at him as a master stands over a whipped dog.

Great Karm…
    Seamus was about to rush over to help him, when Maurice stood, the dagger still buried to the hilt and gave a choked laugh.

“You’ll have to do better.” He grunted, reaching for his greatsword again. Cuell shrugged, moved closer and pulled out the dagger, driving it home twice more. This time Maurice fell back, blood pouring from his three wounds, onto the ground. Blood began to pool around him, but he raised himself into a sitting position, glaring at Cuell.

Why can’t I move?
    Seamus began to wonder. Then he realised that he wasn’t alone, all of his comrades wouldn’t move, they stood transfixed at the sight, as though shocked that Maurice could be hurt, let alone killed.

“You think this lot will go down without a fight?” Maurice managed to choke out.

“Considering you easily you fell, I expect this fight to last ten seconds.” Cuell said with a sick grin, before placing his foot on Maurice’s chest and pushing him back

Maurice slipped back onto the road, his cloak soiled in the dust, and clutched his wounds, as Cuell casually removed a cloth from inside a pocket and wiped the dagger clean. Seamus didn’t even react, he was transfixed by the blood, an impossibly large amount leaking from his prone companion.

“So, one dead. Who wishes to die next?” Cuell stared up at the rest of them, his eyes gleaming with what appeared to be delight.

All six drew their weapons, Murr a two handed axe, the Growlths’ both drew swords and shield, Chiall a bow, Alf two one handed axes and Corwell a spear. Seamus tried to move but found that he just couldn’t.

Please, why won’t I move?

“Interesting.” Cuell, put the dagger back inside its sheath and gripped his bow. “Can I convince any of you to join me?”

“Maurice said he contracted with you, and you murdered him. I’d say that insults all mercenaries, not just him.” Murr said with a growl, his axe gleaming in his hands.

Cuell stared over at Seamus. He felt those eyes pierce him with a gaze of contempt.

Please don’t remember me…Please don’t know that I called the soldiers down on you…

So, why does the Host not draw a weapon? Is that a sign that he wishes to join me? I’d advise you to, I’ll give you a great share of the loot and a Senate seat when I win this war. I’ll even forget the fact that you fled from my camp and led the soldiers there, oh yes, I know it was you young man. If you don’t join then I’ll make you remember every single detail about that morning…painfully.”

Move yourself idiot boy! Kill him.” Archie’s voice boomed through Seamus’ head, which startled him, Archie rarely shouted.

How? He’s got an army!

“Do you doubt my power? You have one as well!”

Seamus raised his gloved hand as Cuell continued to talk. The ex-senator fell silent and waited for his answer.

“Alright…I’ll join you.”
    There were several angry stares and mutterings from the other six. Murr in particular glared at him with storms in those sea grey eyes.

“Excellent, you-“

“On one condition.”

This will work.

“Name it.”

You can do this.

“My men join as well.” He closed his eyes and imagined the shades, purple and smoky, with weapons drawn.

Summon them, hurt him, kill him.

“I don’t think they especially want to join me, or I’ve become bad at reading people’s feelings.”

“Not those men. These ones.” Seamus thrust his gloved hand forth and suddenly a dozen of the purple shades appeared, armed and ready, surrounding Cuell and his men. Cuell jumped back as two of them swung for him, one blade cutting the cloth inches from his skin. A man behind him wasn’t so lucky, he had a piece shopped out of his shoulder and he plunged to the ground screaming, writhing as his comrades huddled together, shielding themselves from the attackers.

The four retainers drew up around Cuell to shield him from attack, one of them thrust clean through one of the shades and it vanished in a cloud of smoke. This encouraged the rest of the men, who began to battle back. That was one drawback of the shades; they were clumsy and slightly slower than a normal fighter.

Murr roared at the party, waving his axe above him to dissuade any would be assailants,

“Get out now! Down the road, run!”

“What about Maurice?” Seamus shouted as they began to run, but he could see that the mercenary was dead, his arms at his side, blood leaking from his mouth. Strange, he’d known him for less than three weeks and yet he felt some sadness at his passing, a twinge of regret that he didn’t try to help him. He knelt near the body and laid his palm across his chest for a moment, a sign of respect, before running.

He shot a glance behind him as Cuell and his army finally destroyed the last shade, and saw Cuell order arrows to be fired after them. He waved his hand behind him, bringing together his shimmering wall, before rushing onwards. He didn’t bother looking back, even as he heard the thud of missiles striking the wall.

After near ten minutes of running, they came to a stop, all of them exhausted and Seamus most of all, keeping up with these tough looking people was a big ask of him. Murr panted, clutching his axe tightly and gazing down the road, as if fearful of a pursuit.

“So what’s the plan now? We’ve lost Maurice!” one of the Growlth brothers complained, leaning on his shield. Murr slammed the bottom of his axe into the ground in response.

“It’s fine. I know my way over these lands, and I definitely know where the Gaol is. For now, let’s make camp.” He turned to Chione

“Would you be kind enough to head back for a bit and keep watch?” Despite the kind tone it was clearly an order, not a request and she shrugged her shoulders, heading back the way they’d come, clutching her bow as she did. The old man seemed to be taking charge of the situation remarkably well, though no doubt experience was respected in the wilds.

Alf and the Growlths headed over to a clearing and began to pitch camp, laying the spot for a fire and choosing the best sleeping spots. Seamus sat down on a tree stump nearby in silence. Well, not entirely silently as he was still discussing the possibilities ahead with Archie, mentally.

Well…I was starting to like him as well.”

What should we do? We don’t know any of these people. And we don’t know if they even trust a Host to stay with them!

“You did save them, that must count for something, especially among mercenaries. They have their whole honourable codes that they follow when it suits them.”

The conversation would have continued, but at that point Corwell and Murr walked over, but they remained standing, obviously not wanting to be caught flat-footed if Cuell were to pursue them.

“You alright lad?” Murr said, placing a hand on Seamus’ shoulder. It was old and wrinkled and he was surprised that it didn’t just crumble to dust when he used that axe. He decided to give a nod in response.

“Neat trick back there. I thought you were just some quiet little man, but when forced you can really be something.” Corwell said as he knelt in front of him, checking his spear.

“I-It’s not me really, Archie gives me my strength.”

Well, I don’t like to brag but he’s absolutely correct. Without me, you’d all have died horribly. Heroically, but horribly.”

“The bald bastard warned us about you.”Murr said.

“He said that the boy was quiet enough but you were louder than the sea crashing onto the harbour walls during a storm and twice as arrogant.” Corwell finished.

His sense of judgement was clearly faulty. After all, he’s dead.” Archie’s response came and Seamus couldn’t help but wince at that. If there was one thing that his Aspect lacked, it was tact.

“About that…” Murr stood for a moment and then bowed his head.

“I’m truly sorry. If I were younger and still had my javelins, I’d have put a hole through Cuell’s head before he could do that to Maurice.”

“I’m fine, none of us tried to help him, nobody is to blame.”

“As long as you’re alright.” The old man turned and headed towards the beginnings of the camp, followed by Corwell.

A few hours later, the camp was fully complete, a fire was started, and the whole group huddled around it. Chione had managed to shoot a deer while hiding up a tree, Alf butchered it with his axes and cooked it for that night.

Seamus sat there, eating his hunk of deer meat and he had to admit that, considering it was cooked on a camp fire by a man who looked more comfortable butchering humans than animals, on the day that his protector had been murdered in front of him, it tasted very nice indeed.

The night was completed by Murr and Corwell singing an old Empire marching song as the embers of the fire began to die. It was an enjoyable tune, and the two of them weren’t the worst singers ever, despite Archie’s complaints, so Seamus soon drifted off to sleep, lying upon his cloak.
    Last edited by Lortano; April 09, 2015 at 04:12 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12