Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: From your perspective, who were the "good guys" in World War I?

Habelo's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: From your perspective, who were the "good guys" in World War I?

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Those ones who opened fire on their own officers in the last two years of war.
    Ohh what are you talking about?
    You have a certain mentality, a "you vs them" and i know it is hard to see, but it is only your imagination which makes up enemies everywhere. I haven't professed anything but being neutral so why Do you feel the need to defend yourself from me?. Truly What are you defending? when there is nobody attacking?

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Habelo View Post
    Ohh what are you talking about?
    This:

1916 June - In the Austrian army, mutinies of the Czech and Ruthene units began during the Brusilov Offensive, and spread to other ethnic minority units in 1917 and 1918.

1917 March - In the Russian army, mutinies began spreading after the March Revolution in Petrograd and the failed Kerensky Offensive in July.

1917 May 3 - In the French army, the 21st Division refused to renew Nivelle's offensive on the Chemin des Dames, and its leaders were shot. Next the 120th Regiment refused, then the 128th. From the army 20,000 deserted, and mutineers advanced on Paris. The 199th Regiment put machine-guns in trucks to destroy the Schneider-Creusot weapons factory. By June, 54 divisions or half the French army was in mutiny, or as the official French history wrote, in "collective indiscipline". A general wrote "The operation must be postponed. We risk having the men refuse to leave the assault trenches." According to Richard Watt, "French soldiers cursed their commanders, drank openly in the trenches, singing ditties about war profiteers and wooden graveyard crosses. Their commanders were unable to stem the distribution of papillons, the pacifist leaflets that filled French barracks like white spring snow." The French conducted 3427 courts-martial and condemned 554 soldiers to death, with 49 executions carried out. Nivelle was replaced by Petain who visited 100 divisions in person, promised no more Nivelle-like offensives, said he was waiting for the Americans and their tanks, began reforms: more leave, station canteens, lavatories, showers, beds, better cooks, better pinard wine.

1917 Sept. 9 - The Etaples mutiny began at the British training camp 15 miles south of Boulogne by New Zealand troops that defied military police and broke into the office of the Base Commandant. The arrival of a British Machine Gun Squadron stopped the demonstrations without bloodshed, and British commanders changed the training methods at the camp. However, mutinies at other locations were more violent. On Sept. 5, 23 British were killed in a mutiny of two companies in Boulogne. On Sept. 11, strikes began in Labor Battalions that would coninue to the end of the year, and mutinies in other British units continued through 1918. On Dec. 9, 1918, the Royal Artillery stationed at Le Havre burned buildings in a full-scale riot. The British army sent 3,894 men to prison for self-inflicted wounds.

1917 Oct. - In the Italian army, masses of soldiers surrendered to the Germans after the Battle of Caporetto.

1917 Dec. - In the Turkish army, desertions and mutinies increased after the fall of Jerulsalem in the Mideast.

1918 - Aug. - In the German army, mutinies were rare until the Allied offensive began to inflict large casualties and the German forces had no chance to win.
    link, link, link, link ..

.. and much more, of course. Is it clear now what I was talking about? Well, from my perspective, those men were/are not mutinous, they were/are the good guys in WW1.

Habelo's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Cool, was this the thing that begun with a football match on christmas? Remember seeing a documentary about it way back.

Well, the people, as long as they are a tool, can't be good or bad, since their actions is made by their user. And the users, can only be good relative to others, since underhanded tactics have been supreme among dominators for long time now. And rebelling against equals, sooner or later, a fall(who was that guy who tried to make an alchemical city? Married to a daughter of the english monarchy, decartes was a mercernary in the army set against him, him anyway, and Kennedy, Socrates, that english boy king who tried to be just against peasents- hate that i can't name em, did extensive google search).
    All those who do not understand this i would figure for evil, because lack of understanding is what i feel is the only true evil. Yet how do i know that i understand more then you? Because the only thing i know, is that i know nothing.
    You have a certain mentality, a "you vs them" and i know it is hard to see, but it is only your imagination which makes up enemies everywhere. I haven't professed anything but being neutral so why Do you feel the need to defend yourself from me?. Truly What are you defending? when there is nobody attacking?

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Sept. 11, strikes began in Labor Battalions
    Labor Battalions? The Chinese one recruited by British?
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345