Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 221AL: the Knights' Moot

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Default 221AL: the Knights' Moot

NAGGA'S HILL

High Lord Dagon now had his turn to call the folk and the clans to moot as once did his enemy Harren Harlaw, the false king. Now it was a different age, an age of reforging old iron. Dagon had dreamt up a bold new move, once which would entice strong and powerful warriors to the Isles, to make new lords where the old Houses lay decimated by a decade of internicine strife and plague. With men that held estates that he had appointed, he could rule by a strength unmatched in Westeros. Furthermore, the lands would bear fruit and be stronger by each province and each castle and every hall across the Isles. At least that was the dream.

Nagga's hill is located on the island of Old Wyk in the Iron Islands. The ironborn consider Old Wyk to be the holiest of all the Iron Islands. The Grey King slew a legendary sea dragon, Nagga, upon its shores, and it is the place where kingsmoots took place for thousand of years. It is on Old Wyk where the First Men found the Seastone Chair, the traditional throne of the Iron Islands. Windy hills and cruel black mountains make up much of Old Wyk, and Nagga's hill is located on it near the bay known as Nagga's Cradle. The ribs of Nagga, a dead sea dragon, rise from the ground like large white trees as wide as a dromond's mast and twice as tall.

It was here in this desolate, windswept bleak place that the solemn vows of knights and squires would be received, and a cutting edge military brotherhood forged in the fiery waters of the Drowned God.

All are welcome to join this RP as witnesses, "spies" or applicants to the Order.
    Last edited by Hengest; November 12, 2014 at 09:29 AM.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: 221AL: the Knights' Moot

Among a throng of Hedge Knights and minor sons, all eager to find employment or claim prestige from this most unusual of events, a familiar face was sighted. For the second time in his life, Godric Lefford had set foot on the Iron Isles at the behest of Lord Greyjoy.

This fact wasn’t lost on the man, who had quietly mused that he’d campaigned for Lord Greyjoy’s benefits now more often than he had for Lady Aurelia’s. Perhaps service to the Ironmen would suit Godric better after all, as long as he could carry out that service on solid ground: sailing was a means to a destination for Godric, not a life as it was to many Ironborn.

Dagon stood consulting with a dark circle of Drowned Men with torn robes, at the far end of the ghostly hall of Nagga's pillared bones. There were scores of longboats around the flat shoreline of this side of Old Wyk, locals peered from the ridges in the distance, silhouetted lines of cautious spectators. Men, women and children in broadkeeled boats hauled nets and stocks lined the upper slopes from the beaches where fish dried in the winter wind. Wattle screens had been set up to offer shelter around modest fires, where sergeants and soldiers huddled in dark oiled seaskins.

Dagon saw a Lefford livery from afar, but pretended to listen on to the wise men as he watched the figure come ever closer. Ser Godric? "Godric!" He raised a palm to hail him, he began to step down from the humble ring of standing stones on the hill and meet him in the hall of bones. "What brings you here? Will you witness the swearing-in of these knights?"

Poach's Avatar Civitate

"I'm the younger brother of a man who has produced children, my Lord," said Godric, "the old motto of 'an heir and a spare' has thus passed by me. I caught wind of your desire to draw men of knightly character to the Isles, and I am a man of knightly character!"

Ser Daryn Tully was as well present upon the Knight's Moot, holding his promise towards Lord Greyjoy. He wondered what the Lord had in mind at this meeting and even more, how it will turn out.

Adamat's Avatar Invertebrate

Steffon Connington, who had only just celebrated his seventeenth nameday at Griffin's Roost, now stood on Nagga's Hill, the embodiment of the Ironborn mentality. The stone under his feet was cold and gray, just like the sky. The hard wind blew salt and water into the would-be knight's face as he stood in line, ready to be sworn to the Greyjoys. His father would have killed him, had he known. Steffon couldn't care less about his father, but now that he stood on the Isles, a chivalric Stormlander, he started to doubt his decision to come here. Did he belong here?
    #JusticeForCookie #JusticeForCal #JusticeForAkar #JusticeForAthelchan

Axis Sunsoar's Avatar Domesticus

Throughout the arrival of guests, William stood beside Lord Dagon. His shield was green, with the strange striding swordsman he had taken as his personal coat of arms above the fish of house Botley. His tabard carried the same device, but the cloak on his back was black, with the greyjoy Kraken on it. He did not say anything, just stood by his lord's side.

Quote Originally Posted by Poach View Post
    "I'm the younger brother of a man who has produced children, my Lord," said Godric, "the old motto of 'an heir and a spare' has thus passed by me. I caught wind of your desire to draw men of knightly character to the Isles, and I am a man of knightly character!"
    Dagon widened his eyes, "I am glad to have you here. I would never have thought that day years ago, when we fought ship to ship with the Harlaw usurper that you would stand here to bow to the kraken." He stepped closer. "I hope you know what you are committing to here. Most of these men have nothing to lose... but you?"

Quote Originally Posted by Adamat View Post
    Steffon Connington, who had only just celebrated his seventeenth nameday at Griffin's Roost, now stood on Nagga's Hill, the embodiment of the Ironborn mentality. The stone under his feet was cold and gray, just like the sky. The hard wind blew salt and water into the would-be knight's face as he stood in line, ready to be sworn to the Greyjoys. His father would have killed him, had he known. Steffon couldn't care less about his father, but now that he stood on the Isles, a chivalric Stormlander, he started to doubt his decision to come here. Did he belong here?
    Dagon walked from the crowd, a single figure caught his eye. He closed up on a Stormlander youth, fiddling with his gear, waiting, watching, looking out across the isle. "Boy," he said in a cold voice "follow me here." Dagon stepped to the edge of the barren grassy plateau where the dark rocks broke up through the soil and then fell down into the crashing waves. "Stand here with me." Dagon said, looking out towards the wide horizon. "You come here to be the first of knights of a world you have never known. Breathe it in, live it, know it now for it shall be your destiny and your doom. Perhaps, if you are blessed and strong you will make it your legacy. The Archmaester Haereg once wrote “You may dress an ironman in silks and velvets, teach him to read and write and give him books, instruct him in chivalry and courtesy and the mysteries of the Faith, but when you look into his eyes, the sea will still be there, cold and grey and cruel.” " Dagon now turned to the youth, and with a slap on his muscled back he said with a grim smile. "Welcome."

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dread View Post
    Ser Daryn Tully was as well present upon the Knight's Moot, holding his promise towards Lord Greyjoy. He wondered what the Lord had in mind at this meeting and even more, how it will turn out.
    Dagon stood with his Drowned Men, their robes ragged and hanging like the dregs of the sea that cling to a shipwreck on a stormy beach. "Tully." He said softly in acknowledgement. "So you are finally here, the heart of the island kingdom. "When you spoke of trade, peace, pact and the mixing of blood and seed in marriage... did you consider this?" He opened his hands and gestured to the pillars of Nagga, and outside the rough temple they formed spread the open sky and the wide wide sea.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

"But I... have lived a life of risk." he said, "I sailed to war against a foe famed for being masters of the waves, and I went forward every day into towns and villages in the throes of the Sickness to police the roads and countryside. In the end a blow from a warhammer almost claimed me, and young Lord Lannister took Riverspring from me and handed it to another. I owe him much for my recovery but I was left with nothing: I seek purpose again."

Quote Originally Posted by Hengest View Post
    Dagon walked from the crowd, a single figure caught his eye. He closed up on a Stormlander youth, fiddling with his gear, waiting, watching, looking out across the isle. "Boy," he said in a cold voice "follow me here." Dagon stepped to the edge of the barren grassy plateau where the dark rocks broke up through the soil and then fell down into the crashing waves. "Stand here with me." Dagon said, looking out towards the wide horizon. "You come here to be the first of knights of a world you have never known. Breathe it in, live it, know it now for it shall be your destiny and your doom. Perhaps, if you are blessed and strong you will make it your legacy. The Archmaester Haereg once wrote “You may dress an ironman in silks and velvets, teach him to read and write and give him books, instruct him in chivalry and courtesy and the mysteries of the Faith, but when you look into his eyes, the sea will still be there, cold and grey and cruel.” " Dagon now turned to the youth, and with a slap on his muscled back he said with a grim smile. "Welcome."
    Steffon gave a smirk, his mind somewhere else than at the Iron Isles. He thought of home. His brother Ilyn, would he have reached King's Landing yet? Would he have heard of Steffon's decision yet? Would he approve of it? Father would not. "Dagon Greyjoy," he said, tasting the salt when he opened his mouth. "These lands and seas may be what you are made of, but it is not mine. You may teach an Ironborn how to act like a proper knight, but will he ever truly be one?" He looked at his feet, standing so close to the jagged edge of the hill. "Are the men gathered here truly made of the right stuff?" He looked the Ironborn in his eyes. "Do you have any idea about my identity?" He wondered. "Most of these men have no idea who they are themselves, I believe."

Dagon stood with his Drowned Men, their robes ragged and hanging like the dregs of the sea that cling to a shipwreck on a stormy beach. "Tully." He said softly in acknowledgement. "So you are finally here, the heart of the island kingdom. "When you spoke of trade, peace, pact and the mixing of blood and seed in marriage... did you consider this?" He opened his hands and gestured to the pillars of Nagga, and outside the rough temple they formed spread the open sky and the wide wide sea.

"I would lie if I would say, that I was prepared for this"
    , the knight of Riverrun admitted, slightly nervous, but wondering what challenge would await him, "Nevertheless I expected of being treated like upon a royal court in King's Landing - about I'm actually fond, as I do not seek the comfortabilty of a court. A real knight has to face nature on his patrols and on his watch more often than the interior of his keep."

Steffon gave a smirk, his mind somewhere else than at the Iron Isles. He thought of home. His brother Ilyn, would he have reached King's Landing yet? Would he have heard of Steffon's decision yet? Would he approve of it? Father would not. "Dagon Greyjoy," he said, tasting the salt when he opened his mouth. "These lands and seas may be what you are made of, but it is not mine. You may teach an Ironborn how to act like a proper knight, but will he ever truly be one?" He looked at his feet, standing so close to the jagged edge of the hill. "Are the men gathered here truly made of the right stuff?" He looked the Ironborn in his eyes. "Do you have any idea about my identity?" He wondered. "Most of these men have no idea who they are themselves, I believe."
    Dagon looked at the youth with a mix of distemper, surprise and pride. "Unless you are the king you will address me as Lord, boy. Whoever you are you cannot be much if you come with little more than a shield to this place. I am fully cognisant of the Isłands place in the world for good and ill. If you have come to firm this Order it will be made by the temperance of hearts and minds like yours. Your future is in your hands, and mine." He grinned. "If you swear allegiance then who you were no longer matters. Age has given me eyes to see what a young man such as you must learn through fire and blood, a warrior's spirit grows only in the soil of the dead. Beware: war is coming boy."

Dagon looked at the youth with a mix of distemper, surprise and pride. "Unless you are the king you will address me as Lord, boy. Whoever you are you cannot be much if you come with little more than a shield to this place. I am fully cognisant of the Isłands place in the world for good and ill. If you have come to firm this Order it will be made by the temperance of hearts and minds like yours. Your future is in your hands, and mine." He grinned. "If you swear allegiance then who you were no longer matters. Age has given me eyes to see what a young man such as you must learn through fire and blood, a warrior's spirit grows only in the soil of the dead. Beware: war is coming boy."
    He turned away from the water, looking inwards to the isle. "I haven't come here to leave again, Lord Greyjoy," he said. "You hold my future in your hands you say," he retorted. "But then again, I hold yours in mine too. You need these men gathered here. You need men like me. Ironborn may be ferocious, but time and again they are beaten back by the other Kingdoms. We are the key to your success, and we should be treated like it. War is coming indeed, and your words are spoken truly. Beware."

He turned away from the water, looking inwards to the isle. "I haven't come here to leave again, Lord Greyjoy," he said. "You hold my future in your hands you say," he retorted. "But then again, I hold yours in mine too. You need these men gathered here. You need men like Ie. Ironborn may be ferocious, but time and again they are beaten back by the other Kingdoms. We are the key to your success, and we should be treated like it. War is coming indeed, and your words are spoken truly. Beware."
    Dagon laughed. "A child without experience of life, war or rule comes HERE and tells ME to beware!" He stepped close and lowered his voice threateningly. "Are you even a knight?" He said rhetorically, "I will be watching you, boy."

William Botley-Flowers moved up to his lord's shoulder after he had finished his conversation with Steffon Connington and spoke softly, "I like the spirit of that one, Lord Greyjoy, and I pray that it is not quenched by the days ahead. But such a spirit is like a blade, it should be tempered before it can be trusted to serve well in battle."

He was barely older than the boy, if at all, but his station as a lord and as the first knight of the new order seemed to have aged him mentally.

"As for the other two, they will both be perfectly suitable for the order especially the Lefford, if he is truly able to leave everything behind him, but I suspect that they do not have the potential of this Steffon, for he has potential, of that there is no doubt. Potential to be one of the greatest knights of this young order, or to threaten its very existance."

Quote Originally Posted by Axis Sunsoar View Post
    William Botley-Flowers moved up to his lord's shoulder after he had finished his conversation with Steffon Connington and spoke softly, "I like the spirit of that one, Lord Greyjoy, and I pray that it is not quenched by the days ahead. But such a spirit is like a blade, it should be tempered before it can be trusted to serve well in battle."

He was barely older than the boy, if at all, but his station as a lord and as the first knight of the new order seemed to have aged him mentally.

"As for the other two, they will both be perfectly suitable for the order especially the Lefford, if he is truly able to leave everything behind him, but I suspect that they do not have the potential of this Steffon, for he has potential, of that there is no doubt. Potential to be one of the greatest knights of this young order, or to threaten its very existance."
    "Aye William, you may be right, but without discipline and loyalty pledged what are these men worth? If Westeros is to respect this Order then we must dispel all signs of sellswords and hedge knights. Only through the oath which binds Ironborn and knights under the Seven can a bridge be built between island warriors and Westerosi knights. This Stormlander... he is not ready. If, as First Knight, you are willing to take him under your wing as a squire of the Order then so be it. But he shall be your charge, my friend, and that is a burden that can weigh a man down on the waves of life." Dagon cleared his throat and took a deep breath, he looked at Botley-Flowers and said "It's time."

"All those that would vie for the honour of forming the Order of the Kraken come to the stone circle and stand before the Damphair!" Night was falling and the Drowned Men held flaming torches, stood robed and hooded in the winter chill.
    Ifer, first among the priests stood and raised his arms calling out in a powerful voice that rose on the wind:
    "Come, present yourself by name and be counted!"
    Last edited by Hengest; November 14, 2014 at 06:38 AM.

Slightly nervous, but willing to join the ranks among the order, Ser Daryn Tully stepped forward as one of the first men. He did not fear the ritual and neither he feared the consequences of his action. Whatever he did, it served not only the values of chivalry and knighthood, as well it would be the chance to restore the honor of his House and become one step closer upon the legacy of his father.
    "I am Ser Daryn Tully, a knight from the Riverlands", he replied with loud voice, "I came not as the future lord to those shores, but rather as the knight I am and always shall remain, undepending of the future. I offer you my services and my sword."

Poach's Avatar Civitate

"Godric Lefford." said Godric matter-of-factly as he stepped forwards. His past deeds would speak for themselves.

"Steffon Connington of Griffin's Roost," the Stormlander boy announced as he stepped forward, making sure to watch the Greyjoy's expression.

"Shall I take their oaths, or would you hear them announced before the full group gathered? William asked quietly. Behind him stood a chest filled with the cloaks he had commissioned during his brief stay at Pyke, which at first glance would appear similar to that which a member of House Greyjoy would wear. But embroidered over the Golden Kraken was a black sword, signifying their status as recognized knights of the realm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast