Thread: Numenor Campaign

Default Numenor Campaign

So I've recently started toying around with creating a provincial campaign that gets some of the Numenorian units into the campaign.
    (a draft general outline can be found here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...0#post13981910 ).

I'd really rather keep it just a provincial campaign rather than a seperate mod so as to not require multiple installs of LotRTW but I'm running into a couple of issues with the scripts that I'm not entirely sure how to resolve. I'd like to keep many of the game scripts as I think they add a lot of nuance to a campaign, but some of the scripted events in the main campaign are not really appropriate for the new provincial campaign.

I'd been thinking of maybe setting the provincial campaign to start at turn 100 (and thus avoid most scripted events) but the script of eternal summer doesn't seem to want to let me do this.

So, anybody have any ideas? Master Bardo, are you still around?

Default Re: Numenor Campaign

You need to do a lot of changes on the script section (descr_advice -thread and trigger-, scripts' folder, text file -i don't remember the right name-) to work in another campaing without problems...is better improve a new one "background script", renaming it and changing the x-tourns per year script between many other things.

Hey Milner, Thanks for the reply.
    You've basically touched on exactly the problem I'm having. I know that the easiest option would be to just create an entirely new background script but as far as I know there can only be one background script per seperate mod install, and I would very much prefer to just make a seperate provincial campaign to the pre-existing LotRTW mod. That way it doesn't require seperate installs for what is basically the same mod. Does that make sense?

Nope, you may have a different "background scripts" to every campaing (with different names, of course), but you must have different campaing's folder to everyone...working as provincial campaings. You can copy the original LotR campaing folder and rename it, you also need to rename a few things (as campaing tittle into descr-strat file) and add a few new files as alexander_regions_and_settlement_names changed to newcampaing_regions_and_settlement_names and add new entries in campaign_descriptions file to the new campaing to every playable faction...
    On this way you don't need a new install.

Interesting, any chance you know how that works exactly or can point me to a relevant tutorial?

I know LotRTW uses scripts in several locations but, as the main background script is in the data/scripts folder (rather than in a campaign folder), I couldn't figure a way for it to not be applied automatically to any and all campaigns using the mod.

Here are the base files:

http://www61.zippyshare.com/v/34125165/file.html

I tested in a medium campaing (120 turns), and it works without problems...
    Tell me if you need something more

Cheers

Hm, very interesting, I had not realised it worked like that.
    Thanks very much!

Edit: Well, now that I've actually looked at the file a little closer, it does all look rather straightforward. I'm looking forward to having a little stretch of free time to see if I can get that working.
    Last edited by CapnDan; December 04, 2014 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Milner View Post
    Here are the base files:

http://www61.zippyshare.com/v/34125165/file.html

I tested in a medium campaing (120 turns), and it works without problems...
    Tell me if you need something more

Cheers
    Ok, so wow Bardo does some fine (and complicated) work.
    I'd been trying to get this up and running for a while but kept on running into snags and irregularities in the scripting once active and I think I just found the problem.

export_descr_advice.txt holds all the "reload script" triggers when you load up a saved game (and also runs on loading up a new campaign) but the tirggers do not differentiate between the Main Campaign or a Provincial campaign. So, even if we go ahead and run a provincial campaign with it's own set of scripts the engine will still attempt to load any scripts listed in the reload triggers section.

Any ideas? Are there a set of campaign-specific triggers perhaps?

Edit: Ah, nevermind, solved this problem at least:
    -created a new ancillary for The Special Guy called "freeforall" that gets assigned to him in descr_strat
    -used worldwide ancillary exists condition for executing the background scripts
    Last edited by CapnDan; February 12, 2015 at 02:59 PM.

I remember there is a condition that checks the campaign map name, named "I_MapName", but your workaround looks good, not worth to change it if working.

---------------------------------------------------
    Identifier: I_MapName
    Trigger requirements:
    Parameters: map file name
    Sample use: not I_MapName world\maps\campaign\sons_of_mars\descr_strat.txt
    Description: The qualified file name of the current map relative to the data directory
    Battle or Strat: Either
    Class: MAP_NAME
    Implemented: Yes
    Author: Guy
    ---------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    I remember there is a condition that checks the campaign map name, named "I_MapName", but your workaround looks good, not worth to change it if working.
    Hah! Well that probably would have saved some headache if it works as advertised.
    I'd completely forgotten about all this it was so long ago!

Amazing workaround! I couldn't get I_MapName to work at all, but yours works like a charm, CapnDan. Cheers!

What I did:
    Create an ancillary and give it to a character in descr_strat. Use WorldwideAncillaryExists [ancillary name] as a condition for starting the script in export_descr_advice, and also, to ensure the ancillary stays in the campaign when the character with the ancillary dies, assign it to all characters upon turn end with the WorldwideAncillaryExists [ancillary name] as a condition.

EDIT: Ended up only assigning it to faction leaders upon turn end (could also give it only to agents, or some other character definition). Used it to provide some info and tips about the mod and its scripts.
    Last edited by Dansk viking; January 08, 2024 at 02:29 AM.
    Gesaga him éac wordum, þæt híe sint wilcuman Deniga léodum