Thread: Venice campaign: A very frustrating problem

Icon4 Venice campaign: A very frustrating problem

DM + CB 2.2
    Venice campaign h/h
    The year is 1703 (4ypt)

Background to my problem:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I started as Venice and followed the bold strategy of open war with the Ottomans. They start the game at war with Russia. I allied myself to Austria. I planned to bait Ottomans into declaring war only I did not have to -- they declared war on Austria.

Obviously I cannot go toe to toe with the Turks so every move is a careful tactical move and thus far it is working (on my end). I slipped some troops through and was able to capture Athens and Bosnia. Unfortunately Prussia complicated matters by declaring on Austria so my allies rerouted troops to the Prussian front. This was nearly disastrous. The Ottomans captured Croatia. It is a slightly small force and poses no immediate threat to Venice. Yet the situation is critical, I am in something of a pivotal point in the war. Two armies stand between my forces in Athens and Bosnia. I wish to unite my forces and move on Serbia and Sophia and after threatening Istanbul, sue for peace. Individually these two armies can be dealt with, but if they were to combine I could be in trouble. The only armies I have are in Athens and Bosnia. If I lose either one I am screwed (that said the Bosnia army is more important as it protects Venice)

My army stationed at Bosnia is a medium sized experienced force. Can't remember the exacts but I have 6 line infantry, 2 cavalry, 2 artillery. Each time after hitting end turn one of the Ottoman armies mentioned above attacks the city. The army is largely rubble made up of mob type units. Each time I fight these type of armies they rout fairly easily. It has 6 or 7 units, but a significant edge in raw manpower (around ~700 to ~1200).

Now the problem:
    Each time I try to fight the battle I get a CTD. One of the Ottoman units is a horse archer unit that has a grey silhouette for the unit pic. I think this is the cause of the crashes. If I autoresolve I lose the battle and the city every time. This outcome would basically cost me the war as my Athens force would be isolated and Venice would be threatened (cannot compete with Ottoman seapower).

What can I do? If I am able to fight the battle I am fully confident I can win, but I cannot fight it and because of the edge in manpower autoresolve always leads to an Ottoman victory.
    There are no cheat codes right? Can I edit the save file and fix the Ottoman army by removing the offending unit?
    Or is my best course of action negotiate for peace before the end times come for Venice?
    Help!

Default Re: Venice campaign: A very frustrating problem

One route you could do is save with your troops outside whatever battle you are tying to do, then just keep auto resolving until you do win, on the technical side, I have no idea, on the negations, I have no experience with playing Minor Factions so, my 'diplomacy' is war war and more war. Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Bran Mac Born's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: Venice campaign: A very frustrating problem

Go back to a save game before they attack and move your army out of the city and intercept them.