Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Higher speed limit for electric cars to stimulate sales?

sabaku_no_gaara's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Default Higher speed limit for electric cars to stimulate sales?

https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url

(Google Translate)

So, the Dutch are about to allow Electric cars to drive 130 km/h (80 miles) instead of the 100 Km/h (62) on a stretch of Highway as an experiment to stimulate the use and sales of these cars.

Isn't that discrimination?

As an NA fuel car owner and enthusiast, this pisses me off.

I feel like slashing the tyres of every electric car I see from now on! And should government boost sales of a product by favouring it via laws?

Finlander's Avatar ★Absolutely Fin-bulous★
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Higher speed limit for electric cars to stimulate sales?

No doubt the goal here is to reduce the negative externalities, such as pollution, the driving causes, but I am not sure should this be the way to do it as the road safety should be kept in my mind first and foremost. However, it is a cheap way to support the demand for the electric cars which seems to be a better alternative to the petrol cars in their opinion.

I don't think it is a discrimination more than the petrol taxes they have issued or any taxes in that sense which tries to control the consumers' choise on purchases and consumption. The government is already favouring certain goods via taxes and subsidies - or perhaps unfavouring them - and this should hardly be the case to be shocked at those practises.

I understand and welcome the desire to stimulate electric car sales but this simply doesn't make sense. It violates the whole idea behind having a speed limit.

A better option would be stuff like reducing taxes or even perhaps covering the towing or support charges in cases of not being able to make it to a charger station.
    The Armenian Issue

sabaku_no_gaara's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

You know what the problem is with electric cars? If everyone drives them, electricity demand will go up, my country is already suffering a potential of shortages and will disconnect several municipalities one by one for a few hours if it comes to shortages this winter. (Mine is one of the first to be disconnected)

Aside from that electricity is expensive enough, I have social tariff (handicapped and all) and I pay 135€ every month for electricity/gas if demand goes up, prices will go up, about 4 years ago or so in some areas people where throwing stones at Solar panels installed on rooftops when energy companies blamed those for raising prices to compensate their lost revenue. (The minister of Energy, froze the prices shortly after before the price raise came, but the 4 year period of the price freeze is about to end)

Imagine the price increase we would get from a huge increase of electrical cars and the violence it could provoke from some frustrated people.

Don't forget we are already on the eve of a severe price raise due to the network managing companies huge debt in this country. Electric cars becoming common would make things even worse.

ing hippie greens and environmentalists, in all their ideals they always forget the financial side of the matter and they don't give a damn who their brilliant ideas and tech screw over.

Best segue ever.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Quote Originally Posted by sabaku_no_gaara View Post
    You know what the problem is with electric cars? If everyone drives them, electricity demand will go up, my country is already suffering a potential of shortages and will disconnect several municipalities one by one for a few hours if it comes to shortages this winter. (Mine is one of the first to be disconnected)

Aside from that electricity is expensive enough, I have social tariff (handicapped and all) and I pay 135€ every month for electricity/gas if demand goes up, prices will go up, about 4 years ago or so in some areas people where throwing stones at Solar panels installed on rooftops when energy companies blamed those for raising prices to compensate their lost revenue. (The minister of Energy, froze the prices shortly after before the price raise came, but the 4 year period of the price freeze is about to end)

Imagine the price increase we would get from a huge increase of electrical cars and the violence it could provoke from some frustrated people.

Don't forget we are already on the eve of a severe price raise due to the network managing companies huge debt in this country. Electric cars becoming common would make things even worse.

ing hippie greens and environmentalists, in all their ideals they always forget the financial side of the matter and they don't give a damn who their brilliant ideas and tech screw over.
    But but but the beautiful solar subsidisation didn't result in a stable developing energy market with appropriate levels of investment. Shocked I am shocked. Probably all the neoliberals fault.

Every different types of car require a certain kind of source. There is no car with a magic engine. It's quite idiotic to attack electric cars for increasing the electricity demand...
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    Every different types of car require a certain kind of source. There is no car with a magic engine. It's quite idiotic to attack electric cars for increasing the electricity demand...
    It is and it isn't.

If like the UK you have an ageing electricity grid that hasn't had the necessary level of investment, it is quite predictable that the grid itself will not cope with the increased residential demand over the next 30 years, if you increase that load considerably by encouraging electric cars and do not also increase the investment in the grid (never mind the production which is somewhat secondary to having the necessary vehicle to get it into homes). So its not the cars fault but there is a definite problem there. This is where solar is particularly laughable in northern countries as well as wind farms, ask any electric engineer about variability, grid and storage.

Portuguese Rebel's Avatar Civitate

Electric car owners don't tend to be speed devils... And people who are speed devils don't really care about that paltry maximum speed increase. Ineffective measure and is sending the wrong message that going 130km/h is perfectly safe since some cars can do it...

"Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil."
    Stewie, Family Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane! View Post
    It is and it isn't.

If like the UK you have an ageing electricity grid that hasn't had the necessary level of investment, it is quite predictable that the grid itself will not cope with the increased residential demand over the next 30 years, if you increase that load considerably by encouraging electric cars and do not also increase the investment in the grid (never mind the production which is somewhat secondary to having the necessary vehicle to get it into homes). So its not the cars fault but there is a definite problem there. This is where solar is particularly laughable in northern countries as well as wind farms, ask any electric engineer about variability, grid and storage.
    Similar arguments can be made for any source. If you don't make a plan anything you can do can fail.
    The Armenian Issue

Similar arguments can be made for any source. If you don't make a plan anything you can do can fail.
    Well I've given you the argument and plans haven't been made so it is legitimate to attack electric cars.

Well I've given you the argument and plans haven't been made so it is legitimate to attack electric cars.
    Attacking the situation is. Attacking the tools is not. Don't be against electric cars. Be against lack of energy plans in electricity production, the same way you'd be against lack of energy plans in oil production, process, usage and regulations in general, and not the gas cars themselves.
    The Armenian Issue

Attacking the situation is. Attacking the tools is not. Don't be against electric cars. Be against lack of energy plans in electricity production, the same way you'd be against lack of energy plans in oil production, process, usage and regulations in general, and not the gas cars themselves.
    Which is why I said it is and it isn't. And:

So its not the cars fault but there is a definite problem there.

I mean no one in the thread has attacked electric cars specifically I was just trying to bring you up to speed out of your own little tangent but if you want to stay in your own little world and argue with yourself that is fine.

mrmouth's Avatar flaxen haired argonaut

All of these incentive programs show that these 100% electric car makers are forcing a market that isn't even close to being viable but for an insanely small percentage of trendy people with money to toss at an iphone on wheels.

They cant simply lower prices because they need to bank sizeable profit on every sale in order to keep the market afloat by introducing new, larger center console screens and other goodies that have nothing to do with battery technology.
    The fascists of the future will be called anti-fascists
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity

Comes Limitis

Sounds dumb enough for those green-party hipsters.

I think though they are trying to pander to the growing faux machismo among the growing amount of dumbed down reactionaries in Holland, voting for Wilders, watching Powned, and hate anything not like them.

Faster driving is cool to them. Green party is just part of the national degeneration.
    Quote Originally Posted by snuggans View Post
    we can safely say that a % of those 130 were Houthi/Iranian militants that needed to be stopped unfortunately

I mean no one in the thread has attacked electric cars specifically
    Then it's odd of you to say earlier that it's legitimate to attack electric cars.

It's quite an ignorant argument to attack electric cars for increasing electricity consumption. Perhaps its the worst example to attack as well as they're the only tool we could use that would partially replace the electricity it uses.
    The Armenian Issue

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

I understand and welcome the desire to stimulate electric car sales but this simply doesn't make sense. It violates the whole idea behind having a speed limit.

A better option would be stuff like reducing taxes or even perhaps covering the towing or support charges in cases of not being able to make it to a charger station.
    this ^
    some times you have to ask "why?" instead of "why not!"
    as in "why not remove speed limit on E cars!" to " why are there a speed limit?"

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Then it's odd of you to say earlier that it's legitimate to attack electric cars.

It's quite an ignorant argument to attack electric cars for increasing electricity consumption. Perhaps its the worst example to attack as well as they're the only tool we could use that would partially replace the electricity it uses.
    I specifically said it is and it isn't and went on to explain the broader picture.
    Last edited by Tiberios; November 01, 2014 at 03:17 PM. Reason: ToS violation removed

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

Quote Originally Posted by sabaku_no_gaara View Post

Nuclear power!

Oh, wait, no, that's somehow controversial and scary. And, ironically, environmentalist hippies are against it.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

How can one come up with this?
    Must be lobbied
    454-480 Western Roman Politics (Article)
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare
    We (...) have converted the miracles of science into a chamber of horrors -R. Hull

USA knew how to gain a victory, but not how to use it - F.J. Nepos
    You will be ruled by either a crown, a clown, or a crook, and democracy assures that you won't get the first one.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast