Thread: Beta impressions after playing Carthage for while

Default Beta impressions after playing Carthage for while

Hail great modders! I have finally bought Rome TWII, only because of your mod and of what I have read in this forum about RTR2. I have played extensively the last week and must say that this is actually great fun!!! Challenging, varied and not as repetitive as the other TW games/mods I have played during the last 10 years. The only thing I miss a lot is the ability to really look at the details during battle. Everything happens so fast and I am merely watching everything from a bird’s perspective…
    I play Carthage, my favourite faction and I had to start the game 7 or 8 times to figure out a way to survice economically but at last I got it. A real challenge indeed, but that is what we are all after I suppose. The music a stunning and give me some of the good vibrations from the first RTW.
    Things I am wondering about and hope for some feedback on are these:

1. Can my fleet actually block the Messina Strait and Gibraltar? I get no confirmation on that and experience that Roman troops cross the Messina strait with my ships present.
    2. Rome seems to have huge amounts of troops but uses only unprotected transports to move them overseas and thus are easy pray. It seems a bit stupid but luckily for me saves Sardinia from them.
    3. I can’t really get to understand politics and the Encyclopedia is meager many places. How important is the families and the relation between them?
    4. I have a strong wish for a bit longer battles even though there are a lot of them in the beginning as Carthage but it’s sad not to be able to enjoy the impressing battlefields more.

I have large expectations for the future of this mod and I would love a better diplomacy when it comes to make peace. As of now it is impossible to sweeten the peace offer. That’s a shame but maybe realistic? That much I don’t know about the details from the period.

Best of luck with your work
    Less is more

Default Re: Beta impressions after playing Carthage for while

Quote Originally Posted by Tordenskjold View Post
    The only thing I miss a lot is the ability to really look at the details during battle. Everything happens so fast and I am merely watching everything from a bird’s perspective…
    I agree to that, after finishing more than 200 turns with Sparta there were few times that I could really enjoy the battle and zoom in to watch the carnage, most of the time I was moving my troops and checking flanks and other details of the combat from a far away view and when everything was set to just wait then it was too late, most enemy troops were already wavering and breaking soon after, if it could just lasted a couple of minutes longer would be fantastic.
    Last edited by jutajata; October 31, 2014 at 02:13 PM.

billydilly's Avatar Senator

True, enemy units rout very quickly.
    CPU: Intel i7-8700. GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G. RAM: Corsair Vengance, 16Gb HD: Kingston SSD 240Gb (System), Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500Gb (Steam), Western Digital 500Gb. PSU: Corsair CX600W

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

Thanks for the feedback, guys, we'll take this into account Some things (politics, blocking straits) are vanilla issues as far as I'm aware we haven't changed yet. I also tried to block maritime straits, but it did not work out for me either, the enemy just crossed. The families are important to cause loss of public order and civil war- too much and too less support for your own family, both is bad But I'm only a historian on the team so we'll have to wait until tomorrow until the real modders are awake again to answer your questions
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

I will be Laconic..
    1&2) sorry but these are unfixable vanilla issues (plus transport fleets are ment to be weak..the problem is that Ai is too dumb to guard them with military fleets)
    3) http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War...Politics_Guide
    4) JaM is making some changes to battle mechanics as we speak
    cheers
    Last edited by Phalangitis; November 01, 2014 at 07:58 PM.

Thanks a lot for your answers. After playing a good deal more, the initial fun is being supressed by a feeling of being unable to really get drawn into the game. It's like being on the outside looking in... Not sure why I feel this way and thus have no idea on what I feel missing either. The game has a variety greater than ever before, but seems to miss the magic of RTW. Anyway, that is not your fault and hopefully many others feel different.
    Less is more

Decanus

I absolutely love the battles especially at version 2.1. But I cannot enjoy the campaign - the economy has been reduced to "what is the best build option" one is always better than the other. They need to remove the buildings overhaul - vanilla actually has an intelligent economy and you can't make all kinds of changes to campaign values without disturbing a vast number of aspects that CA had spent millions of dollars and man hours devising. For example, if you tweak public order so it is highly variable, then PO negatives and positives assigned to build options are meaningless, unless these are also adjusted so that they actually have an impact. My herding ground might produce -2 public order but my PO is now shooting up and down by 20 or 30 so, so what does -2 PO now mean? I may as well build my herding ground - the other two agricultural options become meaningless.
    Last edited by La Tene; November 17, 2014 at 05:04 AM.

If Geniuses of CA had done such a great work there would be no need for mods.In fact our main job is how to correct (for FREE) those countless mistakes those geniuses did under salary..

Chernish's Avatar Decanus

No. "Do not multiply entities beyond necessity". Does not need to change anything. Many things in the vanilla works fine. This is not Rome 1. We must care about achieving CA and not to spoil the good that the game already. You're in an attempt to correct all gave rise to many fich (R2TR - the most innovative mod), but not all features are equally useful .
    Good luck to you guys
    Do what must be and let be what will