Thread: Weather conditions

Default Weather conditions

Whenever i am attacked by the AI, i am unable to change the weather conditions which will prevail during the course of the battle. Quite often, rain, snow and fog dominate the battlefield. Isnt this totally unhistorical? Pitched battles used to be quite rare in the medieval period anyway, and how many pitched battles were fought in totally foggy conditions? This is really irritating and i would like to know whether this feature can be modded out. Sadly, this feature has continued onto SS, and i almost had my ass handed to me when, with a predominantly cav army(i was playing as the kievan rus) i was attacked by a lithuanian army that had come to relieve smolensk.

UndrState's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: Weather conditions

Quote Originally Posted by SoumyaBanerjee View Post
    Whenever i am attacked by the AI, i am unable to change the weather conditions which will prevail during the course of the battle. Quite often, rain, snow and fog dominate the battlefield. Isnt this totally unhistorical? Pitched battles used to be quite rare in the medieval period anyway, and how many pitched battles were fought in totally foggy conditions? This is really irritating and i would like to know whether this feature can be modded out. Sadly, this feature has continued onto SS, and i almost had my ass handed to me when, with a predominantly cav army(i was playing as the kievan rus) i was attacked by a lithuanian army that had come to relieve smolensk.
    The attacker gets to decide when to attack - he gets three tries at random weather, each time deciding whether to keep it or try again. This is a feature that goes back to the original Shogun game. I won't debate the realism, just because I don't know one way or the other. But, anyway, that's how it works. Don't like it, go on the attack. Let me point out that you only "almost had my ass handed to me" so maybe the extra challenge isn't such a bad thing?

John Doe's Avatar Primicerius

save the game before the battle, if you don't like the weather reload and you might get new weather conditions. If not, reload and use a spy or diplomat (or whatever to change the random number), save and hit the end of turn button. Restart the procedure until you have a good result.

Huh? Weather affects battle? This is the first time I hear something like that. Just what exactly are their effect anyway?

I know rain makes arrows less effective. Also, several weather conditions impair your vision of the battlefield. I'm also sure some weather makes your soldier tire faster.

UndrState's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Yayattasa View Post
    I know rain makes arrows less effective. Also, several weather conditions impair your vision of the battlefield. I'm also sure some weather makes your soldier tire faster.
    It's true - when there's snow on the battlefield, it'll affect units fatigue, and more so for units not from northern climes; likewise with desert, with northerners suffering more from the heat.

Makodes has a great post on this:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...a-few-thoughts