Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: spoilers:mass effect 3 ending

Default Re: spoilers:mass effect 3 ending

Quote Originally Posted by Mangalore View Post
    I don't see Refuse as Shepard somehow sticking to his principles but rather the logical choice when you find out your secret surprise plan was known, foretold and is controlled by the enemy all along and you just handed Space Hitler his Space Nuke with it. Do you now also pull the trigger for him or rather attempt to find a different path to victory?

Destroy doesn't do any more damage than Synthesis or Control, you just also get rid off the threat everyone (including all galactic civiliations) signed up willingly to lay down their lives for. You play with everyone's lives in Control and Synthesis more than with Destroy because you have no actual insight about the end result and in fact kind of betray everyone on vague promises and veiled threats.

I like Refuse because it is something special. Do you rather go down fighting or hand over everyone's destiny to their murderers on some vague promises. That is an interesting choice compared to red, blue or green. Also you could have done a more awesome epilogue with Liara detailing to the next cycle how everyone's sacrifice can save them.
    I mean, I've gone over this before, and we know they've got control, total control of everything. And I can pick one that kills everyone or one of two that doesn't. What's my job as an officer of the military and a SPECTRE who's job is to literally protect the political institution in ways that may not be politically acceptable.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    I mean, I've gone over this before, and we know they've got control, total control of everything. And I can pick one that kills everyone or one of two that doesn't. What's my job as an officer of the military and a SPECTRE who's job is to literally protect the political institution in ways that may not be politically acceptable.
    As a military officer it is also consistent to reject the trap and rather abandon that battle to keep on fighting the war. It proves futile but since as you say you know the path you are on is mined it is in my mind as logical to rather keep trying to create a new path to victory than three paths your enemy goads you with.

In the end the result of any of the three choices is a coin flip, you have no clue what will happen. I mainly find the idea that somehow choosing any of the three endings is really a proof of being a tough military guy because you literally have neither control nor knowledge of the repercussions of any of the choices. I would however argue only Destroy or Refuse coalign with the intentions with which Shepard, Anderson and the entire Grand Fleet entered the battle: Fight to get rid of the Reapers. Control or Synthesis are entirely based on the Starchild's words that that somehow changes everything while both endings are obvious part of the Reaper's nightmarisch ideology; aka the human Reaper in ME2, indoctrination as well as all the husks being their recent example of how they do Control and Synthesis up to that point.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

But see, that's the odd thing you're insisting on. The Reapers have been able to force their indoctrination on everyone until now when they suddenly want your character to make a choice because he solved a puzzle? That makes no sense. Unless your character demonstrated something to them. They were wrong. Their philosophy was wrong. Their nightmarish ideology, as you put it, was wrong. Ok character, we can keep kicking your ass into the floor. You know we can. Or, we can give you control of our ships. Or we can totally change the way you live and bring you to the next stage of evolution. We've got the capability to do all three. You know we can do any of these things. You choose which. They've never done this before. They've just kicked every intelligent species in the galaxy straight into the floor and cleaned up after themselves and left. Until now. Major pattern break. Explain.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123