Thread: ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED on one specific site

Biggieboy's Avatar Campidoctor

Default ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED on one specific site

Hello there,

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but this is the closest I could find.

So, the problem is I can't visit one specific site, namely GOG.com. It has been so for the last 2 weeks, and I have no idea what caused it. I can visit other websites without problems, it's just that site. I checked with other people, and it works for them, so it's not the website's fault.

I've tried several things: rebooting PC, unplugging and replugging internet cable, deleted all internet history and cookies, used cmd for ipconfig /renew, tried different browsers, checked for auto proxy settings, windows updates,... and I'm honestly at my wit's end.

I'd like to visit the site, because I like the games they offer there, and that's where my bought games are, so if I want to install a game right now, I can't. Can anyone help me, because I have no idea how to solve this. Thanks in advance!
    Look not above, there is no answer there; Pray not, for no one listens to your prayer; Near is as near to God as any Far, And Here is just the same deceit as There.

And do you think that unto such as you; A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew: God gave the secret, and denied it me?-- Well, well, what matters it! Believe that, too.

"Did God set grapes a-growing, do you think, And at the same time make it sin to drink? Give thanks to Him who foreordained it thus-- Surely He loves to hear the glasses clink!" Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Default Re: ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED on one specific site

I just got in.
    Check your permissions through your antivirus, firewall, security suite, and/or router. Also check these peoples' site to see if they have a list of sites blocked.

I used to be able to visit that site with the antivirus I have for quite some time (using Bitdefender Antivirus Plus)
    can't see anywhere that the website is blocked by my antivirus, I don't believe so.
    Look not above, there is no answer there; Pray not, for no one listens to your prayer; Near is as near to God as any Far, And Here is just the same deceit as There.

And do you think that unto such as you; A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew: God gave the secret, and denied it me?-- Well, well, what matters it! Believe that, too.

"Did God set grapes a-growing, do you think, And at the same time make it sin to drink? Give thanks to Him who foreordained it thus-- Surely He loves to hear the glasses clink!" Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam

You would not believe what has been reported antiviruses blocking for just Total War. AVG free version seems to be the worst, Norton and McAfee seem to need their permissions set manually every so often, but I got in with Microsoft Security Essentials.

just turned off firewall entirely, didn't make a difference either. Disabling Bitdefender didn't work either. This is just so odd.

Yes, it is odd. Time for me to let someone else take a crack at it.

Maybe the problem is somewhere else. Try contacting your ISP, it might be blocking the site for some reason.

SPARTAN VI's Avatar Campidoctor

You'll need to isolate the issue further by using deduction.

Try another browser. Some browsers have their own DNS cache (e.g. Chrome), so it may be unaffected by your Win/IE DNS cache. If you're using IE, try Firefox/Chrome, or vice versa.

Try performing a DNS flush. In command prompt, type "ipconfig /flushdns" without quotes, then try again.

Try using Google's public DNS. Instructions here.

Try another device on the same network. Ex: smart phone/tablet over WiFi. If this works, then it's something specific to the PC, if it doesn't then we know it's a network filter/firewall issue.

Try again from outside of the firewall (aka the DMZ). Your router should have a security function where you can specify an IP address to be exempt from firewall restrictions, which is known as the DMZ. Get your internal IP address (via ipconfig or from your router's UI) and plug that into the DMZ setting.

Try bypassing your router entirely. Hook up directly to your modem (if applicable).

Try another Internet connection. Ex: tether your smart phone and use your data plan (e.g. 3G/4G/LTE) to connect to the Internet. If the problem persists, then it's absolutely something local.

If all else fails, and you're not a VPN/proxy, then you'll want to check with your ISP.
    Last edited by SPARTAN VI; October 29, 2014 at 05:47 PM.

2016 TW: Warhammer Modding Winner!

SPARTAN VI's Building Progression Icons Mod
    Streaming Total War & Strategy Games - SPARTAN VI's Game Night

Quote Originally Posted by SPARTAN VI View Post
    You'll need to isolate the issue further by using deduction.

Try another browser. Some browsers have their own DNS cache (e.g. Chrome), so it may be unaffected by your Win/IE DNS cache. If you're using IE, try Firefox/Chrome, or vice versa.

Try performing a DNS flush. In command prompt, type "ipconfig /flushdns" without quotes, then try again.

Try using Google's public DNS. Instructions here.

Try another device on the same network. Ex: smart phone/tablet over WiFi. If this works, then it's something specific to the PC, if it doesn't then we know it's a network filter/firewall issue.

Try again from outside of the firewall (aka the DMZ). Your router should have a security function where you can specify an IP address to be exempt from firewall restrictions, which is known as the DMZ. Get your internal IP address (via ipconfig or from your router's UI) and plug that into the DMZ setting.

Try bypassing your router entirely. Hook up directly to your modem (if applicable).

Try another Internet connection. Ex: tether your smart phone and use your data plan (e.g. 3G/4G/LTE) to connect to the Internet. If the problem persists, then it's absolutely something local.

If all else fails, and you're not a VPN/proxy, then you'll want to check with your ISP.
    I usually use chrome, but I have tried firefox and IE, and I can surf, just not visit that site

did ipconfig /flushdns, it changed nothing.

I don't use wifi, I have an ethernet cable running from my modem directly to my computer.

My girlfriend is able to access the website using her smartphone via our wifi.

this is just really bizarre, but maybe this leads somewhere. What next?

EDIT: I just asked a friend of mine who has the same ISP, and he can access it. I just don't have a clue what it could be.
    Last edited by Biggieboy; October 29, 2014 at 06:38 PM.

Do you and your girlfriend use the same IP?

No idea, don't know how to check that.

My friend suggests/thinks it may be an ip ban, but I wouldn't know for what reason, and I can't contact them because it's on their site which I can't visit.

I have a phone number for my IP and I have used it a couple of times when I was having trouble getting online.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggieboy View Post
    I usually use chrome, but I have tried firefox and IE, and I can surf, just not visit that site

did ipconfig /flushdns, it changed nothing.
    So we know it's not browser-related.

I don't use wifi, I have an ethernet cable running from my modem directly to my computer.
    Shouldn't make a difference whether it's WiFi or ethernet. This doesn't rule out possible DNS issues.

My girlfriend is able to access the website using her smartphone via our wifi.
    So this rules out network-related and ISP-related issues.

this is just really bizarre, but maybe this leads somewhere. What next?

EDIT: I just asked a friend of mine who has the same ISP, and he can access it. I just don't have a clue what it could be.
    We knew it wasn't the ISP when your gf was able to access the site from the same gateway.

The only thing on the list that you didn't address is your DNS server. Try setting your DNS server to Google's public DNS: https://developers.google.com/speed/...dns/docs/using

(edit) It's also possible that your host file has been tampered with. You may want to try setting it back to its default: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/9720...ItMyselfAlways

Some anti-virus software have security features in place that can also cut off certain sites. Typically this is labelled "Immunization" or something similar, and usually it will get into your Windows Zone Map to blacklist a ton of websites. I doubt this is the case since I don't believe Google Chome even looks at the Windows Zone Map, but it's still something worth looking into. If you run something like Spybot Search & Destroy or Spy Blaster, you may want to try reverting/disabling its Immunization features as a test. Better yet, if you perform a safeboot with networking, you can rule out a lot of software interference.
    Last edited by SPARTAN VI; October 30, 2014 at 12:33 AM.

2016 TW: Warhammer Modding Winner!

SPARTAN VI's Building Progression Icons Mod
    Streaming Total War & Strategy Games - SPARTAN VI's Game Night

Quote Originally Posted by SPARTAN VI View Post
    So we know it's not browser-related.

Shouldn't make a difference whether it's WiFi or ethernet. This doesn't rule out possible DNS issues.

So this rules out network-related and ISP-related issues.

We knew it wasn't the ISP when your gf was able to access the site from the same gateway.

The only thing on the list that you didn't address is your DNS server. Try setting your DNS server to Google's public DNS: https://developers.google.com/speed/...dns/docs/using

(edit) It's also possible that your host file has been tampered with. You may want to try setting it back to its default: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/9720...ItMyselfAlways

Some anti-virus software have security features in place that can also cut off certain sites. Typically this is labelled "Immunization" or something similar, and usually it will get into your Windows Zone Map to blacklist a ton of websites. I doubt this is the case since I don't believe Google Chome even looks at the Windows Zone Map, but it's still something worth looking into. If you run something like Spybot Search & Destroy or Spy Blaster, you may want to try reverting/disabling its Immunization features as a test. Better yet, if you perform a safeboot with networking, you can rule out a lot of software interference.
    THANK YOU! THANK YOU SOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!

I first changed the DNS changes, both for IPv4 and IPv6, and that didn't work. I was about to give up.

Then I tried changing the host file, and that ACTUALLY fixed it! I can't thank you enough!

That's definitely rep for you! thanks again a million times!

Awesome! Glad to help!

THAAANK U so much. This has been like a plague for weeks now. I searched all over youtube, microsoft forums, google chrome forums, tried every method. I was even considering doing a full system wipe. My problem was exactly like biggieboy's. I even signed up just to thank u