Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Next Update v1.0 beta - info leaks and sneak peaks

Junaidi83 de Bodemloze's Avatar Dont Mess With Me

Default Re: Next Update v0.61

Damn that realy much update wip
    Modding is like accursed wine, you try a sip and you ended empty the whole glass
    Under Proud Patronage of Shankbot de Bodemloze

Black9's Avatar Biarchus

10. Cultural aggression, tolerance and pride system added
    - I feel like this should have a thread, yeah?

12. Increased range of all missiles by 10 as the unit range is calculated from the back man making shorter ranged missiles not getting used at all
    - That's good to hear, on-the-charge javelins aren't seeming to hit the charge targets either if they're attemping to run away ie: skirmishers

13. Pike formation nerfed
    - Just the damage or other stats too?

19. Units on transport ships now get debuffs to their stats
    - Awesome. New mechanics!

20. Naval patrol and raiding stance now damage the stats of enemy transport units in that sea region
    - Also awesome, make those stances worthwhile.

22. Champions and dignitaries now have lower line of sight which will hopefully give spys a more scouting role
    - I like this

27. Naval double time stance now gives transports only +5% movement points and normal navies 35% movement bonus
    - Nerf hammer to transports!

29. Further improvements to the ai
    - seleucid specific ai added
    - Pirate and raiding ai made for celtic, balkan factions
    - changes to Nth african and iberian diplomacy ai, less suicidal now

Similar to what you said with the Roman (should be more willing to trade and more likely to back stab and take advantage of opportunities as they arise. They will be more stubborn in wars and less likely to admit defeat. They will try to get more $$ out of their enemies and make client states more ofte) and Carthage (should use a lot more mercenaries, trade a lot more, be more willing to maintain relations), I'd be interested in what specifically you're changing in the AIs for each faction/culture.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

10. Yup we will get a thread up for this once we get a preview image made up much like the trade routes image.

13. other stats as well, there may be more changes once we start our testing phase

22. This is just the start of a much more in depth agent overhaul we will be doing

29. I'll leave that up to junaid, our cai modder, to explain

Junaidi83 de Bodemloze's Avatar Dont Mess With Me

seleucid specific ai added
    Its created Seleucid custom personality based on whatever V.V History reseach able to gather historical data.If the reseacher itself didnt lie when he fill the questioner
    Pirate and raiding ai made for celtic, balkan factions
    Well like its name itself, i just alter CAI behaviour into behave like pirate faction, for example you know Viking mate ??? They sail,into far away land, burn, loot, but very rare occupied land.The CAI also behave like that more or less, dont expect them to expand into larger faction, but you can trust him to make your life and other AI misserable since this pirate, just sack or raze and find new prey again, they occupied just rare.

changes to Nth african and iberian diplomacy ai, less suicidal now
    Well i just fix reliability level into little higher ensuring this faction at least not broke treay like some kind of bad habit (leading to war), and fix some AI component like how AI judge enemy power

I'd be interested in what specifically you're changing in the AIs for each faction/culture.
    This actualy Magnar idea, to create each faction have different AI Personality, similiar like C.A just more variatif and more improved version.The problem is, it will take quite some time to finish, since this based on historical data faction gathering. If you want to participate into reseach stuff feel free to pm me or magnar, i be glad to sent you the questioner, who know maybe with your help thing can be bit more faster

Basicly next update V 0.61 offer significant gameplay campaign, in many aspect, like better logic AI, more aggresive and, increasing reliability and diplomacy, etc etc.
    Last edited by Junaidi83 de Bodemloze; January 19, 2015 at 12:50 PM.
    Modding is like accursed wine, you try a sip and you ended empty the whole glass
    Under Proud Patronage of Shankbot de Bodemloze

Default Re: Next Update v0.61 - info leaks and sneak peaks

Is this live or still coming. I appreciate that faction reworks take a long time however is the non reworked factions still balanced with the reworked? Or is rework/non rework typically stronger?

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by N0vaxz View Post
    Is this live or still coming. I appreciate that faction reworks take a long time however is the non reworked factions still balanced with the reworked? Or is rework/non rework typically stronger?
    this thread shows what will be in the next update (still coming). The non reworked factions are roughly balanced however there will be units who are not balanced yet.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

After a quick count it would seem that we have about 185 new units to be released in this next update

Decanus

The battles feel much better now with what seems to be reduced kill rates and run speeds. I think flanking penalties could go up so battles end a little quicker - but not as a result of massive kill rates - but rather the more realistic failure to command troop formations kind of scenario (as it is battles drag out for a long time despite heavy flanking)

Edit: I take this back. I was putting syracusan hoplites up against similarly equipped roman infantry and it was producing long battles but after more game play I'm finding battles very challenging, particularly when trying to expand using barbarians troops with very low armor. Light Barbarians are very fast but are also very vulnerable - I don't know how I would capture this settlement I've got under siege if it were not for their starving desertion (once again Mag, plz think about the garrisons )

I think those very powerful garrisons are too easy to be had - it took only 3 turns to build my settlement and it spawned a gazillion well equipped syracusan hoplites and peltasts. Further, with only 1 recruit slot per turn it becomes kind of outrageous that settlements can shoot out basically full armies while it takes me well over a dozen seasons to raise an army. I like the recruitment system in Vae Victus, I like the high build costs too - it makes the campaign feel more realistic in terms of the pace of growth. But combine these with those enormous garrison's and expansion is looking near impossible..

I should try a campaign on normal difficulty to see how it goes with 2 recruit slots but even still there seems something wrong with being able to shoot out a powerful garrison after just 3 turns of settlement construction... I suppose it is the very low build duration that is the most concerning to me after all..

edit: sry should've gone in feedback
    Last edited by La Tene; February 14, 2015 at 10:22 PM.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by La Tene View Post
    The battles feel much better now with what seems to be reduced kill rates and run speeds. I think flanking penalties could go up so battles end a little quicker - but not as a result of massive kill rates - but rather the more realistic failure to command troop formations kind of scenario (as it is battles drag out for a long time despite heavy flanking)

I think those very powerful garrisons are too easy to be had - it took only 3 turns to build my settlement and it spawned a gazillion well equipped syracusan hoplites and peltasts. Further, with only 1 recruit slot per turn it becomes kind of outrageous that settlements can shoot out basically full armies while it takes me well over a dozen seasons to raise an army. I like the recruitment system in Vae Victus, I like the high build costs too - it makes the campaign feel more realistic in terms of the pace of growth. But combine these with those enormous garrison's and expansion is looking near impossible..

I should try a campaign on normal difficulty to see how it goes with 2 recruit slots but even still there seems something wrong with being able to shoot out a powerful garrison after just 3 turns of settlement construction... I suppose it is the very low build duration that is the most concerning to me after all..

edit: sry should've gone in feedback

There will be further ways to increase recruitment slots, but the base will stay at 1.

We plan to rework agents and 1 of the roles will be as recruiter and possibly also edicts.

Keep in mind also that you can build military structures to increase recruitment slots and if you are using the political overhaul mod there are further possibilities to increase recruitment slots.

Without any focus on recruitment though, recruitment will be low and remain at 1 unit per turn. This encourages the use of the other recruitment mechanics as well as greater use of levies and mercenaries.

Decanus

It all sounds great, I'm just not sure about those heavy hitting garrisons.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Most parts of the next update are now finished.

Some things which have been left out are:

local names for some new units
    only a few new unit cards made
    new models that still need to be added to overhauled factions
    many units still use vanilla shield patterns especially cisalpine units
    probably some other things as well

Final List of Included Overhauled Factions:

Lusitani
    Arevaci
    Isubres
    Venetii (Cenomani-Veneti)
    Ligures
    Raeti
    Illyrians (3 factions)
    Arabians (7 factions)
    Armenia
    Ptolemey
    Thrace (3 factions, odryssia, getae, tribali)

21 factions in total overhauled

This update is pretty significant in size and includes many new textures and models. As such the size of the mod has increased from current release of around 750mb to the new version being around 1.3 gb

RollingWave's Avatar Praepositus

RELEASE IT ALREADY! LOOKS GREAT
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

Hi VV team.
    As La Tene, I find the garrison a bit overpowered. There is too much units.
    Building an army is pretty difficult for the player (I like that) but deal with enemy army and strong garrison is very very difficult in my opinion, even in normal mode.
    Only my opinion about this part of the game, I greatly enjoy your work. Thanks for your work! :-)

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

garrisons are intended to be large to help slow expansion of factions.

Once the mod is done there can possibly be a sub mod which makes garrisons smaller

Decanus

Ye.. the combination of bigger garrison's and reduced recruitment slots..... definitely play on lower than hard difficulty if you're playing a small faction that starts without a military building (that way you won't be stuck with only 1 recruit slot)

Normal difficulty has been perfect for my Boii campaign, it's been actually fantastic - Vae Victus has the potential to be the best Rome 2 mod in my opinion.

I do think the garrisons should come down about 2 or 3 units though.

I'm looking forward to hear more about this mod.
    This mod will be a very exiciting one! Keep up the good work!

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Just doing some final tweaks before v.61 is released later today

Default Re: Next Update v0.62 - info leaks and sneak peaks

Great I'm eagerly waiting for that !

It looks awesome, many thanks to all the people working on it I have a question, do you plan on reworking the resources, like adding more of them ? I miss the meaningful resources mod

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

What campagin features have you added? Similar to Attila?

Has it been released?