Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Early Map Pics

ExtremeBG's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Early Map Pics

I can't say for the modern day turkish parts of Black Sea, but on the bulgarian coast there is quite a bit of snow each year. There are drifts of snow up to 1-2 m high and some roads get blocked and become impassable for hours. That being said, due to the global warming during the recent years, we (in Bulgaria) have experienced milder winters with a bit less snow and generally warmer weather than usual.
    Last edited by ExtremeBG; May 28, 2015 at 08:39 AM.

Macedonia(FYROM) is Bulgarian. If you don't believe me, read a book.

Quote Originally Posted by danny X View Post
    Mate, I've asked a question in my post above about snow on the map. Why would I do that? Because it's a thread for the MAP. Not about factions or "purple things" in the Balkans. Thanks to you we now have 4 spam posts about the so called "purple things" in the Balkans which is going to take peoples attention away from the MAPPING (because ya'know this is a thread about the map) question I asked.

Transylvania will be represented by rebels.

Thank you
    and? the only one who makes maps is you,what kind of interest do u want?U want help or just a public?
    i alredy told long time ago i could help with the details i think anyone could do that!

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

The Black Sea looks fine around around Romania. The sea actually often freezes over around Constanța during the winter.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Concerning the mountains, I think I would prefer those found here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post14531699 as they look more varied and diverse. Adds a bit of of immersion (in my opinion).
    Last edited by Darios; May 28, 2015 at 08:50 AM.
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

Thanks, I'll leave the climates as they are then for the moment.

I'm re-doing the mountains atm, I'll probably add snow to the tips on some them and use the high mountain model only for the very high mountains.

Here's how I'm doing so far:

Some textures need to be swapped about a bit, that'll come later.

Dusan Silni's Avatar Tiro

Just one question for Danny, will this beta map include all of Hungary or just southern parts of Hungary?

Quote Originally Posted by Dusan Silni View Post
    Just one question for Danny, will this beta map include all of Hungary or just southern parts of Hungary?
    Yeah, the whole of Hungary is in.

This map looks terrific! And I like the idea of having the high mountain model for only the very high mountains, I think it looks better that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ser Gareth View Post
    This map looks terrific! And I like the idea of having the high mountain model for only the very high mountains, I think it looks better that way.
    Agreed. Fight on Danny)

IVSTINIANVS I's Avatar Miles

Will the Empire of Trebizond be in this mod? I thought I read a reference to it somewhere on a thread...

Quote Originally Posted by IVSTINIANVS I View Post
    Will the Empire of Trebizond be in this mod? I thought I read a reference to it somewhere on a thread...
    No, the map doesn't go that far East.

Some pictures of Moldovia, I've disabled the textures for the moment - so these are vanilla textures.

I'm about half-way through re-doing the mountains, hopefully I can get that finished this week.

Map look wonderfull. Thank you for giving us latest info about progress.

even unfinished the map is much beter than in many other finished mods

Thanks guys, if anyone has any info on where swamps/marshland should be placed that would be very handy

*makes mental note to +rep Danny again ASAP*

Those screenshots put me in the mood for a bit of traveling)

regarding swamps in moldova area i know swamps or swamp-like formations were present along some rivers and in some river intersections. so in your map you would have swamp similar formation near bacau around river intersections, down in south close to were the prut river goes into the danube, along the nistru river (especially in the north and south of that river). i do not want to be a burden or to criticise the nice work that you did but could you add a little more forests ? That part of the map seems a bit lacking in forests especially because not even today the forests are so few. In those days forests were covering actually 70 to 80 % percent of the land. Most large battles that were fought in that area were near some forests in a clearing (larger or smaller) or in forests. That being said if there is time and possibility could you add some more forests ? thanks. i can look for pictures showing the zones with swamps if you need. just say a word

The trees, hills, marshland (should be the only things left) will be added once I've finished re-doing the mountains and a few other small things.

Quote Originally Posted by andrei1 View Post
    i can look for pictures showing the zones with swamps if you need. just say a word
    That would be great mate, if you find anything post it here

Quote Originally Posted by andrei1 View Post
    regarding swamps in moldova area i know swamps or swamp-like formations were present along some rivers and in some river intersections. so in your map you would have swamp similar formation near bacau around river intersections, down in south close to were the prut river goes into the danube, along the nistru river (especially in the north and south of that river). i do not want to be a burden or to criticise the nice work that you did but could you add a little more forests ? That part of the map seems a bit lacking in forests especially because not even today the forests are so few. In those days forests were covering actually 70 to 80 % percent of the land. Most large battles that were fought in that area were near some forests in a clearing (larger or smaller) or in forests. That being said if there is time and possibility could you add some more forests ? thanks. i can look for pictures showing the zones with swamps if you need. just say a word
    The northern stretches of the Dniester (Nistru in Romanian) aren't really swampy. The area around Hotin and Soroca (right bank of the Dniester) are surprisingly rocky and hilly in comparison to the gentle rolling fields of Podolia on the left bank of the river. The lower lying regions to the south (Braila/Galati region), where the Prut empties into the Danube, is very flat and marshy. The only thing I have ever seen that can compare to it are the swamps in the lowlands around both banks of the Mississippi River.

I agree that Moldova was very forested during the time. It's surprising that before the land was cleared for agriculture during the 19th century the lands were heavily forested. Some regions that hug the Carpathians like Neamt and Bukovina are still heavily forested today.
    Last edited by Darios; June 03, 2015 at 09:19 AM.

i've found something, hope it helps.
    In case you are not romanian or don't know romanian i translated what seemed more relevant from the map legend. here it goes

http://www.mastercom.ro/wp-content/u...-de-listat.jpg
    translated some of the legend:
    Cāmpii joase (subsidente) și lunci = lower plains and meadows (or river meadows)
    Cāmpii piemontane = piedmont plains
    Cāmpii tabulare = tabular plains
    Dealuri cu īnălțimi mai mici de 300 de metri = lower than 300 meters height hills
    Dealuri subcarpatice = subcarpathian hills
    Dealuri cu īnălțimi mai mari de 300 de metri = higher than 300 meters height hills

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...1/RomVeget.jpg
    translated some of the legend:
    I. Zona alpină = alpine zone
    II. Zona forestieră = forest region
    bradului = pine forest
    fagului = beech forest
    stejarului = oak forest
    III. Zona stepei = steppe zone
    Stepe cu păduri sau avantstepe = forested steppes
    Stepe propriuzise = proper steppes
    IV. Păduri de sălcii și plopi = willow and poplar forests
    V. Stuhuri = reed (swamp / meadow)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...GeolActual.jpg
    This is mostly terrain type / rock type i don't think it is very usefull

http://elearning.masterprof.ro/lecti...a-Romaniei.jpg
    similar to first map

Thanks andrei1 those maps will be very handy

I've finished doing the mountains, Turkey was the last bit that needed doing.

I'll be quiet next week as I'm busy in RL, but the map should be finished before July. The next thing will be to do a finished map preview sometime over the next 3 or 4 weeks.

Thanks guys.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast