View Poll Results: Should companies be allowed to refuse service to those who refuse to pay bills?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • All companies should be banned from refusing service.

1 5.56%
  • Only utilities companies should be banned from refusing service.

3 16.67%
  • No (or very few) companies should be banned from refusing service.

14 77.78%
  • Undecided / Don't Care

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should companies be allowed to stop selling services to people who refuse to pay?

Default Should companies be allowed to stop selling services to people who refuse to pay?

The City of Detroit has come under fire from the United Nations (lol), who accuse the city of "gross human rights abuses" for shutting off water utilities to those who refuse to pay their bills. What do you think, should companies be allowed to stop selling services to those who refuse to pay?

Source: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/detroit-...ater-shutoffs/

Dante Von Hespburg's Avatar Sloth's Inferno
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Should companies be allowed to stop selling services to people who refuse to pay?

Interesting subject my friend.

To briefly just input my preliminary thoughts, out of hand i generally believe that a private company should be allowed the basic right of discontinuing a service that someone refuses to (or can't) pay for. You wouldn't for instance allow a person to take jeans, a car (Or Electricity) from you without paying what's owed in the transaction. If they refuse to pay- that's their choice and they then get the consequences.

BUT. When it comes to water, and this particular case, i really do consider water to be a basic human right for everyone- as such i think it's rather stupid that private companies are the one's who deal with water as it shouldn't be treated as a commodity. Instead Water use should be run by the State to it's citizens, levied from the collective public purse. So in the current context, i find it strange anyway that companies are the ones selling the water in the first place!
    House of Caesars: Under the Patronage of Char Aznable

Proud Patron of the roguishly suave Gatsby

Default Re: Should companies be allowed to stop selling services to people who refuse to pay?

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Von Hespburg View Post
    BUT. When it comes to water, and this particular case, i really do consider water to be a basic human right for everyone- as such i think it's rather stupid that private companies are the one's who deal with water as it shouldn't be treated as a commodity. Instead Water use should be run by the State to it's citizens, levied from the collective public purse. So in the current context, i find it strange anyway that companies are the ones selling the water in the first place!
    The Detroit Water and Sewerage Department supplies water in Detroit. Not a private company. It is currently $5 Billion in debt.

The overall public debt in Detroit is something like $18 Billion.
    Last edited by Sphere; October 27, 2014 at 12:34 PM.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

The problem can actually be easily solved by asking government to pay for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sphere View Post
    The Detroit Water and Sewerage Department supplies water in Detroit. Not a private company. It is currently $5 Billion in debt.
    Interesting; as far as I know in US a lot of local government only control the sewage but not water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Well Dante and OP the case is a little gray as we are not really in the case of Detroit talking about a private company but a public utility.

On the one hand if you don't pay for long enough it seems reasonable to loose service. However since in an urban area you don't have option of putting in a septic system, burning your garbage and drilling a well the public utility I think it does owe the people more than just 2 months or so and done. Payment options, deferments say if you lost a job etc. should be part of the mix. Afterall it has no competition thus it should be held to the highest standard when dealing with all of its customers - but it is not - below

The real critical issue is that the Utility is in fact not pursuing cooperate accounts as tightly or harshly as it those of people least able to have time, resources or education to contest or pay or work out options. That strikes me as Detroit born 'mitten' native as profoundly unjust for a public utility to do no matter what the overall budget situation is in Detroit.

Example:

http://www.metrotimes.com/Blogs/arch...ater-shut-offs

I love my home town for all its warts and decay and de-industrialization and crime and well name all the other problems. But to see a public institution of the city hammer the poor while giving the rich/corporations a 'reach around' makes me ashamed to even admit I'm from Detroit and Michigan, worse yet to see the State and Judges abet that is well - F- the Man!

At some point you are really dead beat and your life is screwed and you have face that, but rich dead beats or corporations should not get the silk glove while the poor dead beats get the iron fist.
    Last edited by conon394; October 27, 2014 at 01:11 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Dante Von Hespburg's Avatar Sloth's Inferno
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Sphere View Post

The overall public debt in Detroit is something like $18 Billion.
    Ahh my apologies then, i brushed over the article and thought it had been privatized (like the UK's water suppliers)

Though as Hellheaven has in my view quite rightly pointed out, why not change the payment model? Ideally it should come out of standard public taxes straight from the federal level (or state i guess depending on your views on such things!) That way you'd never had this situation really.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Well Dante and OP the case is a little gray as we are not really in the case of Detroit talking about a private company but a public utility.

On the one hand if you don't pay for long enough it seems reasonable to loose service. However since in an urban area you don't have option of putting in a septic system, burning your garbage and drilling a well the public utility I think it does owe the people more than just 2 months or so and done. Payment options, deferments say if you lost a job etc. should be part of the mix. Afterall it has no competition thus it should be held to the highest standard when dealing with all of its customers - but it is not - below

The real critical issue is that the Utility is in fact not pursuing cooperate accounts as tightly or harshly as it those of people least able to have time, resources or education to contest or pay or work out options. That strikes me as Detroit born 'mitten' native as profoundly unjust for a public utility to do no matter what the overall budget situation is in Detroit.

Example:

http://www.metrotimes.com/Blogs/arch...ater-shut-offs

I love my home town for all its warts and decay and de-industrialization and crime and well name all the other problems. But to see a public institution of the city hammer the poor while giving the rich/corporations a 'reach around' makes me ashamed to even admit I'm from Detroit and Michigan, worse yet to see the State and Judges abet that is well - F- the Man!

At some point you are really dead beat and your life is screwed and you have face that, but rich dead beats or corporations should not get the silk glove while the poor dead beats get the iron fist.
    Ahh thanks for clarifying mate, again apologies for misreading! I took this to be a straight case of private rights vs public 'good' for want of a better word.

So from what i amateurishly understand, it's more a case of the department going after the 'easy payments' of the lil guy over corporate debts? Interesting article too cheers.

Again just to briefly input, surely actual government control over the water would be a better and fairer solution for citizens? In terms of water coming out of the collective public purse and not paid for as a separate and individual expense. It would solve all these issues in a heartbeat.
    House of Caesars: Under the Patronage of Char Aznable

Proud Patron of the roguishly suave Gatsby

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Von Hespburg View Post
    AThough as Hellheaven has in my view quite rightly pointed out, why not change the payment model? Ideally it should come out of standard public taxes straight from the federal level (or state i guess depending on your views on such things!) That way you'd never had this situation really.
    Detroit is currently answering the question "What happens to a major city when nature reclaims it." Detroit as a city currently has very little reason to exist.

Google "Detroit decay" as an image search.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Again just to briefly input, surely actual government control over the water would be a better and fairer solution for citizens? In terms of water coming out of the collective public purse and not paid for as a separate and individual expense. It would solve all these issues in a heartbeat.
    I consider myself a leftist, but consumers should pay for the amount of water they use. People/companies should have a direct incentive to conserve water, or in a place like Michigan (which doesn't have supply issues), reduce the volume of waste water needing treatment which in most places is the biggest expense water utilities have.

If you want to augment the income of the poor, do it through the tax code or welfare. But leave the proper economic incentives in place. When you don't and instead try to manipulate a market through things like rent control, unlimited water, etc. you often get really perverse outcomes.

"When there is genuine inability to pay, human rights simply forbids disconnections," said Catarina de Albuquerque, one of the experts. She is one of the two experts planning to visit Detroit Saturday. They're expected to hold a press conference Monday to announce their findings.

"When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Water should of course be available to all, up to a certain point - those who use what can only be termed excessive amounts should be charged. Of course what is deemed excessive has to factor in personal considerations; health etc. Same goes for all basic necessities.
    When Adam delved and Eve span, who was then the gentleman?

- John Ball (1381)

Mayer's Avatar Domesticus

I don't think water supply should be handled by private companies, to be honest (except when the customers are big demanders).
    edit: damnit, didn't read that it was public

It is of course the logical conclusion for every for-profit corporation to cease services for consumers who refuse to pay, it's a loss/waste of money to continue in such a case.
    Maybe a compromise would be to limit the supply (a standardized ration) for people in debt? They get the incentive to pay without losing access outright.
    Last edited by Mayer; October 27, 2014 at 03:57 PM.
    HATE SPEECH ISN'T REAL

Treize's Avatar Dux Limitis

They should be allowed to sell the people who refuse to pay.
    Miss me yet?

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Phier View Post
    "When there is genuine inability to pay, human rights simply forbids disconnections," said Catarina de Albuquerque, one of the experts. She is one of the two experts planning to visit Detroit Saturday. They're expected to hold a press conference Monday to announce their findings.
    Right, so what is her opinion about Israel's public control of Palestinian water usage?
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

So if government put basic water manual pumps on every resident block, boom problem sorted. Want it pumped to your house, pay.

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    Right, so what is her opinion about Israel's public control of Palestinian water usage?
    Don't care, not this issue, and not a "rights" issue, but a territory/treaty one.

My shameful truth.

I think water should be restricted, though the method of implementing that might be understandably difficult.

But there's a difference between unable to pay and refusing to pay. Also, the amount used. Half-hour showers aren't exactly necessary. Refusal to pay ought to be interpreted as deliberately taking advantage of a service.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane! View Post
    So if government put basic water manual pumps on every resident block, boom problem sorted. Want it pumped to your house, pay.
    Actually it might be just as effective if it was free: only the most determined of wasters will waste their own time pumping more water than they need, especially if the pump was communal, ie someone else might be using it. It would encourage water management and sharing. It would also look bad on you by everyone else on the block if you're spending far more time pumping water or reasons that are likely not as urgent as, say, drinking.

And if they want more convenient service, pay for it.

That is what I figured, I really think the idea that people and businesses not all of whom simply can not afford it just get it anyway is a bad one.
    Last edited by Denny Crane!; October 31, 2014 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Early morning illiteracy

Quote Originally Posted by Mayer View Post
    I don't think water supply should be handled by private companies, to be honest (except when the customers are big demanders).
    edit: damnit, didn't read that it was public

It is of course the logical conclusion for every for-profit corporation to cease services for consumers who refuse to pay, it's a loss/waste of money to continue in such a case.
    Maybe a compromise would be to limit the supply (a standardized ration) for people in debt? They get the incentive to pay without losing access outright.
    The issue is however if water supply counts as a basic service of society, thus is the monopoly of the state for every citizen to be supplied either via a public service or a heavily regulated market. The weird thing is to have people that are too broke for paying water bills but wouldn't need general welfare aid in the first place.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

I think Phier is correct though, in many ways Detroit is a dying city and it should be left or even encouraged to rot and die. Like a forest after a bushfire whatever is left will be much healthier.

A similar idea has been proposed for certain areas in the UK, rather than constantly trying to prop up an ailing area like Middlesbrough (certain parts anyway) let them go and you lose having to subsidise a failed area and all the resulting social problems that happen there.

sabaku_no_gaara's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Water is a basic right according to the UN, and it's barbaric to deprive your own people of water because they are too poor to pay the bill.

Don't you have Social tariffs for people under a certain income threshold for water, electricity, gas, and telephone? Maybe it's time you implemented them if you don't

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast