Aelianus Sempronius Longus

Curule Aedile Gnaeus Claudius Tranquillus

Plebeian Aedile Caius Manlius Fortunas

Quaestor Decimus Pomponius Nero
    Horatius Septimia Flavus

Tribune of the Plebs Gnaeus Aquilius Rutilanus
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola

Events
    - Religious Unrest: Rumors that the lack of proper religious observances have led to the levies losing have continued to spread following the dubiously successful war in Campania and continued neglect of worship in the city.

- Plebeian Unrest: The plebeians, in addition to being angry that the gods are being neglected, are becoming increasingly unruly. The legions, they say, were deployed for too long and suffered far too many casualties. Besides that, the Senate has failed to open new markets and trade routes.

- Latin Discontent: To make matters worse, the Latin Socii are not pleased with the outcome of the war. From their perspective, Rome sent their sons to be slaughtered in defense of foreigners, and may not have even succeeded. Rome taking spoils from Neapolis while the Samnites sacked Sora and nearly sacked Verulae has not helped attitudes, especially among the Volsci. The Latins are now questioning Rome's fitness to lead them and demand recompense. It is said the Volsci whisper of independence.

Plebian Roll The plebs demand improvements be made to the city

Plebian Satisfaction -6 (-10% levy size, -10% tax income)

Food Supply in Italy
    Food Surplus
    : 1
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Under the patronage of The Lizard King
    Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

Okmin's Avatar In vino veritas

Default Re: The Curia Hostilia: The Consulship of Aquila and Regulus

Aquila returned to his curule chair for a second year to open the senatorial session. He was not, however, looking forward to this one. It was looking to be a series of headaches.
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Orestes took his seat as a praetor now, leaving his status as a tribune.

Waiting until most if not all of the Senators were in session, he stood, and faced the Consuls.
    "Conscript fathers, with the coming of the new year and the conclusion of elections, we should waste no time in making right the issues that face our republic.
    It has come to my attention that while religious appointments were made last year and sacrifices were made, the people are still and ever more concerned that we have drawn the ire of the gods above."

He looked around a bit.
    "We face widespread anger for the extended use of the legions and the casualties undertaken, both within Rome's sacred borders and without."

"It is clear to all, one could reckon, that it is paramount we first send diplomatic missions abroad to our many neighbors, and that we find nodes of commerce to feed off of.
    This outward activity will surely help rebuild our civil stability. With that, we can turn to religious matters as well as our angered allies."

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Lucius takes his curule seat beside Aquila, hearing the news that was already spreading through Rome like a wildfire. Disgruntled Latins and Plebs, what joy this year was to be. He ponders for a moment and gestures to Aquila.

Let us take one issue at a time, Senators. The first ordeal involves the religious unrest among the people. I believe our Pontifex Maximus, Consul Aquila, can answer for this and propose ideas that can resolve this unrest among the people. At the same time, I urge the senate to agree to the proposal I made last year of expanding the temple to Castor and Pollux and adding a statue of them which was gained by the sack of Neapolis.
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; October 27, 2014 at 12:31 AM.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Aquila nods to his fellow consul.

I am seeking nominations to the flamines maiores. While that is ongoing, I suggest we erect a temple to Mars, and perhaps one to Minerva. It would be most appropriate under the circumstances. This would also satisfy the plebeian's demand for construction.
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

Nero stood,

"For some months now, Pontifex, I have been acting as an augur for the temple of Jupiter Optimus Maximus and would happily serve as flamen, despite the restrictions it would place on myself. Lord Jupiter must come before me."

Taking breath, Decimus changed tack,

"It is an honour to be elected as first Quaestor, and I propose money be spent by the state to improve the city through trade. The Corsicans are currently untrustworthy but could easily be won, netting us silver, the other priority must be marble especially if we are to repair or build new temples. Otherwise I am satisfied the budget is healthy, although the amount looted from Neapolis may not be wise to keep in its entirety. I suggest some be given as pensions to widows and family of those killed in the recent defeat against the Samnites, so as to ensure they were not led into death in vain. Second, another portion must be distributed amongst the Latins who distrust us the most. However our first motion should be to send trade missions, so that they may return as soon as possible."

Horatius takes the same seat he held last year, and rises shortly after. "For marble, I would suggest a trade mission to the Umbrian cities."
    Last edited by Xion; October 27, 2014 at 02:11 AM.

Aelianus would take his seat, glad to be finally back, frowning at the issues presented before them he would rise.

"With the appointment of a Pontifex Maximus I believe that we are well upon out way to easing the religious tensions present - along with the fact that we are no longer at war. I propose that, like the good Quaestor said, we should appoint the three Flamen Maiores to look after the temples and ensure that all proper sacrifices are done and overseen. Along with this, I believe that whereas the Aediles have been lax in their duty of providing festivals and games in recent years, we should try to hold many no. As well as this, the Censor has it within his power to open the animal tracks - and if he were to do so we could use them as the state to provide meat and not just grain to the City."
    Last edited by removeduser_456328; October 27, 2014 at 07:19 AM.

Tribune Valerius, owner of some Marble quarries, spoke up.
    "I believe we have access to Marble already, but we certainly could use access to other materials such as copper and silver."

The Mad Skylord - Yesterday at 10:09 PM
    Jesus
    You're a monster
    I love it

On the matter of appointing the flamines maiores, I know the usual process for selecting priests is for the existing priests to vote, but given the importance of these three positions and the urgency of the times, I would ask the Senate to temporarily grant the Pontifex Maximus the power to appoint the flamines maiores.
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

"Seeing as to the general lack of priests and the more important decisions facing the Senate I agree with the Consul on the appointment of Flames Maiores by the Pontifex Maximus."

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapture View Post
    Tribune Valerius, owner of some Marble quarries, spoke up.
    "I believe we have access to Marble already, but we certainly could use access to other materials such as copper and silver."
    "Even if not for silver, it is important that we do not remain as unfriendly as we do with Corsica. The ability to mint more regularly will however be an extremely useful bonus."

Turning to the Pontifex,

"It is not my place to advocate it, given my interest, but we must be quick, it will be a good start to the year. The senate after all could easily revoke any flamen who does not act in his job properly."

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Orestes supports the Pontifex Maximus being given power to appoint the Flamines Maiores

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

Tiberius Honorius Lentulus supports the pontifex Maximus being given power to appoint Flamines Maiores.

Estimated Senators, it has come to my attention that our allies are displeased with current affairs. It seems the Volsci is the most displeased one, rumours are going on that they're looking for independence. I propose we send a Senator as a diplomat to the Latins to negotiate with them and to listen to their griefs. And as i do not hold any office this time i think i can serve the republic the best by going to them. So i ask you senators to support my mission to Latins. I also will donate money to religious festivals. Also i support the idea of building a temple in honor of Minerva.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

"With support behind the Pontifex Maximus to solve the religious problems, I believe we should move, as Senator Lentulus said, onto dealing with possible upset within the Socii and ways to address this. I support his proposition of sending an envoy to the Volsci to see where their grievances lay and why. Perhaps an offer could be extended of possible citizenship or a coloniae being established in the region? Perhaps, if we were to construct a temple we should build one to Mars and Quirinus, them being the other three major gods within the college of flamens? Such a move would allow proper and regular celebrations to be made to the three most major gods."
    Last edited by removeduser_456328; October 27, 2014 at 05:30 AM.

Valerius stands and makes a pronouncement.

"I veto any notion of the Pontifex Maximus appointing priests. We need to have open elections for these posts."

Jesus
    You're a monster
    I love it

"You would veto a sensible motion with no opposition Valerius? It seems once more that vetoing for no real reason except for what will presumably be personal gain is occurring."

"What personal gain can I get? I am not even eligible to be a priest. However, no one person should have a say over who is a priest in Rome. If you want to talk about someone having something to gain, then the Pontifex Maximus would surely have a lot to gain by being the sole person to appoint other priests. The Pontifex Maximus also had most of last year in his position and did not even make one sacrifice to the Gods, let alone Jupiter Optimus Maximus. And now you wish to trust him to name other priests?"

Valerius replies. "We vote on laws, magistrate offices, priesthoods and even whether to go to war. That is how things are done in Rome, not by one person."

Jesus
    You're a monster
    I love it

Caius Manlius Fortunas stands, taking the floor.

"Fellow Senators, it has been a hard year. I have some Proposals that might ease up our situation. First, I believe we should send Diplomatic Missions to the following places: Corsica, so that we may be on more amicable terms with them, the Volsci, so that these talks of Independence is washed away, Umbria, so that we may gain a new ally and friend, the Socii, to renew such terms, Marsi and Hernici, to reassure our Latium allies, and the Messapians, to garner new allies. Reducing the hostility of these nations and gaining new allies would only solidify our position. My Second Proposal is one regarding my office, the Plebeian Aedile. I propose we build new granaries in Rome, so that the population may be better fed, and that we satisfy the Plebeians. My third, and final proposal for today, also regards my role as Plebeian Aedile. I propose we build a new arena, and upon its completion hold a public event there, so that we may entertain the city, and satisfy them in mind and body. I understand it has been a hard year, and so, once my farm incomes come in, and I receive permission to go through with these projects, I will fund parts of them out of my own pocket as I am able.

He sits back down, waiting for the responses of his fellow senators.

(OOC: I have in the villa that i wish for last year farms income rolls, and what would granaries and an arena be considered for public buildings?)

"The new granaries are a sound idea."

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast