Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Big change to the warhammer universe

Default Re: Big change to the warhammer universe

http://libermalefic.blogspot.com/201...h-of-hero.html

The first part of that blog seems to basically being saying Warhammer fantasy is ending. I get the impression after the mediocre success of the last generation of Warhammer games (Mark of Chaos doing meh, Warhammer MMORPG doing good at first, but definitely no Warcraft), and that the original writers don't really have much else to write about and it's been pretty played out, their hearts aren't in it anymore. I hope the TW game isn't based on this Final Days universe. It seems it will be very limited, and it does suck fantasy seems to be ending now.

Or maybe they do plan to reboot the universe and the new CA TW game will be set in the new universe for WFB? Maybe have some books and the first sets launch at the same time as the PC game? That would be a good ideea, right? Or maybe I'm just blinded by hope here, not wanting the universe to just vanish.
    The sad thing, any one of the major faction changes they did before just ending the world (Malekith uniting the elves, Vlad getting made Elector Count) bar those that just wipe out factions would have injected new life in the world, and give fuel for years of new storyes and interesting events. Advancing the storyline, rather than just ending it in one pointless piele of crap. , even the loose winds of the magic and the birht of the Incarnates, meaning for the first time in the history of this world, there are beeings who can legit do some real damage to Chaos ... that and Sigmar himself coming back ... but nope. All this cool setup, all these fresh new ideeas ... and Mannfred goes all emo-tard cause dady Nagash loves Vlad more than him and basically dicks the entire world in the ass by killing Gelt at the last moment ... in one move ruining both the universe and a charcter whom I had liked before. Class act.

More an essay/opinion piece than new rumours. Still sheds a bit of light on what is this all about.

Quote Originally Posted by Alhaioth View Post
    More an essay/opinion piece than new rumours. Still sheds a bit of light on what is this all about.
    Yep, pretty much what I'm thinking too: They're changing the canon of the universe to end it because it isn't profitable enough, because of bad business decisions and at best mediocre video gaming successes wrt to fantasy. One good side to this I guess is if/when fantasy kicks the bucket they'll care even less about modders who mod for Warhammer, though strangely they haven't cared *that* much considering how fleshed out CoW itself is, not to mention Warsword for Warband.

Ultra123's Avatar Senator

warsword for warband is mediocre at best nothing like say, prophesy of pendor and its odd considering the immense material on the subject. I sure hope if warhammer fantasy is dying on the tabletop then black library still continues to write novels.
    Originally Posted by Garbarsardar
    R2 is a deeply flawed, partially completed, hastily assembled, sub-par product.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra123 View Post
    warsword for warband is mediocre at best nothing like say, prophesy of pendor and its odd considering the immense material on the subject. I sure hope if warhammer fantasy is dying on the tabletop then black library still continues to write novels.
    Well I'd wish the same, but let's be real here: Black Library writes what GW tells them. If they kill WFB completly, what reason is there to write books about something they aren't selling anymore? Best case scenario: they let WFB dead in the ground until whatever lenght of time needs to pass for them to loose copyright ownership over it through lack of use of the material (I don't know how long, but I do know that if you claim ownership of an ideea, then do nothing with it for a lenght of time, you loose your copyright and it becomes public domain. At least that's how I remember things work), then freelancers can take the setting and rez it with independent books. But in the short term, if WFB dies, BL will stop writting and even publishing anything from the line of books.

I wasn't talking about how good the mod was, just that GW doesn't seem to mind all of these mods etc despite they're obviously trying to recreate alot of copyrighted content. Given how hostile GW was to 3d models looking similar it's apparent they haven't thought of games themselves as much of a dent to their overall profits, true in the end or not.

as you said david,
    it's apparent they haven't thought of games themselves as much of a dent to their overall profits, true in the end or not
    GW is still living in the 80s with a modern business mindset. I think they have issues with money being made off their IP however mods do not really come under that and theres not much they can do about it if you consider it. If tomorow they shut down COW and warsword it would simply go underground, in places like the pirate bay for example, especially since both are in a very playable state. Pretty pointless for the effort really, and they would once again lose brownie points with fans, something they can ill afford right now.

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Perhaps, only perhaps, they might do the same they did with Battlefleet Gothic. Kill the TT game, wait out a few years, then release a video game, then maybe restart the TT with a renewed interest. A risky gamble if you ask me.

Regardless of what are they plans, it just feels they are running to put all their eggs into the 40K basket, specially on the SM one.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

That is until people get bored of SM or end up branching out in the fiction to other areas, then drop the game realising the wasted potential.

as you said david, GW is still living in the 80s with a modern business mindset. I think they have issues with money being made off their IP however mods do not really come under that and theres not much they can do about it if you consider it. If tomorow they shut down COW and warsword it would simply go underground, in places like the pirate bay for example, especially since both are in a very playable state. Pretty pointless for the effort really, and they would once again lose brownie points with fans, something they can ill afford right now.
    Since when did GW give a about "brownie points" of their fans? :-D Either way, I basically agree, they are living in the 80s. They probably missed their biggest chance for huge video game profits in the 90s when they refused to work with Blizzard, so they made Warcraft, which is just another Warhammer fantasy, with a few differences. It seems like it's been a slow downhill march from there.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

A thing that showed up.

"Can what is dead ever truly die?"

That's it, Ironborn from ASoIaF/GOT confirmed.

More stuff. This time huge spoilers for an upcoming book. Open image in new tab if it's too small for you.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

A lot of info on the Age of Sigmar thing. The usual spoiler warning applies, assuming there is any truth to them.

This is probably better.
    Last edited by Alhaioth; June 20, 2015 at 11:58 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345