Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Winterfell, seat of House Stark

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: Winterfell, seat of House Karstark

If you're going to be the Boltons we need to have a chat, because Lord Bolton is actually Lady Helicent's husband and their three sons are heirs to Winterfell, Karhold and the Dreadfort respectively. This is what I inherited from last game, not of my own doing.

Good plan. I'll change my characters accordingly later tonight

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

A raven arrives, bearing the seal of House Targaryen.

To the noble Lady Karstark and Lord Thoren of Winterfell,

With my recent victories over my adversaries, the restoration of my house and the capture of the capital, I have begun to put to my mind various decrees and actions once I am crowned King. One of my first actions concerns the future of the North. In light of the long absence of House Stark who ended with Artos Stark and their silence, I shall confer upon your son, Thoren Karstark, the title of Lord Paramount of the North, the surname of Stark and reconfirmation his titles as Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North. With this action, I shall officially recognize Theon as the founder of a new Stark dynasty that shall rule over the North from Winterfell, just as Artos Stark and his kin did before him. This will reinforce his power over the North and fully legitimize his authority by my authority. In return, I ask that the North be continuously loyal to the Iron Throne and House Targaryen, just as they have done many times before. I hope this news pleases you and your family and it shall be officially announced by raven throughout the realm after my coronation.

Signed,
    Maekar Targaryen, Prince of Summerhall
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; November 25, 2014 at 11:45 AM.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

ficenzi's Avatar Senator

Approximately a hundred horsemen would be seen riding to Winterfell from afar. Upon reaching the castle, it would be visible that it is Lord Blazeworth. The last of them were pulling two large horse vagons, their content covered with a blanket. Lord Blazeworth unmounts, speaking to the guards at the gate.

'I need to speak to Lady Helicent.'

Poach's Avatar Civitate

The guards allow the Lord into the Great Hall, where Helicent appears shortly thereafter. Lord Thoren Stark, only recently named as such by the new King, is not present.

"Lord Blazeworth!" she said as she entered the room "The new title suits you well. What brings you to Winterfell?"

ficenzi's Avatar Senator

Lord Edric bows as he sees Lady Helicent approaching. 'Ah,my lady, I am home at last. I come from the Riverlands.' Edrick signals his men to unveil the vagons. They would be filled with grain. 'The finest grain from the Riverlands. I have made successful trade arrangements with Lord Brax of Raventree Hall and Lord Tully or Riverrun. With this grain, we have the means necessary to bolster our levy forces. I hope this pleases you, my lady.'

Poach's Avatar Civitate

"I hope it serves your defences well," said Helicent, "A new major port on our western shores will bring us trade and wealth, but also pirates and would-be looters. Having a strong levy at your command will be an important deterrent, and, if it should ever come to it, a valuable tool to use against our enemies. When money allows it, I intend to expand Winterfell's own forces to add further strength to our banners."

Helicent recalled a much earlier conversation with Lady Mormont regarding the power of the fleet in the west.

"Before Blazeport was built, as my architects and artisans were drawing up the plans for it, I had a conversation with Lady Mormont, about the navy's strength in the west," said Helicent, "I helped fund an expanded dockyard for Bear Isle to provide them more ships for the defence of our coasts. Now that Blazeport is operating, you might find it worth your time meeting with the Lady to discuss the issue: who should command the fleet, what each is expected to provide, what your plans would be for war. As the two most prominent Lords on the western coast, it shall fall to each of you to direct any naval campaign operated in the west."

ficenzi's Avatar Senator

'Of course, I shall ride to the Bear Islands as soon as I can. If that is all, I will leave.'

The retainers and Lord Blazeworth are seen galloping southwest, in the direction of Blazeport.

With several issues being put aside and the Lady haveing returned from Dorne, Deana Mormont rode with her youngest sister Derya and her retiniue to Winterfell for requesting an audience with House Karstark again after a long time. Many things have to be discussed, as some were troublesome under certain circumstances, some being pleasant for the future of the North and some being a matter of her own plans to increase Winterfell's influence.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

She is quickly shown to Helicent's lounge, a room with couches, thick fur rugs and a roaring fire. Deana took a seat on one of the couches next to the fire, with Helicent sat on the opposite couch. The setting was more informal than the Great Hall, which was currently in use for commoners to make their petitions to Theron Stark, assisted currently by the Maester.

"How can I help you, Lady Mormont?" asked Helicent as the Lady of Bear Isle entered the room.

"I bring worrying news from my home", she replied after a while, starting with the topic, which made her the most uncomfortable, "A man, claiming to be Beron Stark has entered my hall. He also claims to be a Greenseer, so therefore I have no real reasons to believe him any word, he uses to talk ill about the proud men, to whom your family has blood ties.
    However, he told me his story accurate enough , leading me to the assumption that a simpler mind than mine could be fooled by his claims of being a Stark, which makes the man dangerous in my eyes. Obviously he knew Stark well enough to describe his past detailed and he actually would be too old for being a danger on long terms, but some of his words would make the whole matter political, as he frames the Lothstones being behind Beron's disappearence. I will make sure that the man will be brought to Winterfell for repeating his words, but I leave the justice upon this man to you. If we let him just strife around, he might give some of the Lords reasons to rebell against your rightful rule - and a pretender with a poisonous tounge is the last thing, young Lord Theron needs now after his legitimization from my point of view."

Lady Mormont wondered how Lady Helicent would see this matter, as the Reeds had been brought to justice by her rulership for resisting her plans. The old fool, claiming to be Beron, might be harmless - but harmless men normally do not name themselves after the deceased overlords of the North.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

[OOC: The whole Reed thing was retconned out because Trot started the 'rebellion' in the Winterfell meeting thread and then never did a thing before quitting.]

"There have been a number of raving madmen claiming to be Starks," said Helicent dismissively, "Thoren bears the name Stark now, soon the Lords of the North will be called to pay homage to him when he comes of age next year, and to defy his legitimacy now will be to defy the King."

She poured herself some wine from the container next to her couch.

"Thoren will command Winterfell's might, I still command Karhold's might, and my husband commands the Dreadfort's might," said Helicent, "This 'Beron', as he so claims, would need the rest of the North combined to unseat my son!"

[OOC: Ah okay, wasn't aware of it. Then cut out this path.]
    "Don't forget the might of House Mormont", the Lady replied honest, "We might be few in number, but would defend Lord Theron loyal till the end, as we see him as the rightful ruler of the North."
    She made a slight pause.
    "Speaking of loyality I also came to present you my younger sister, Derya", Deana replied while giving the person next to her, a black-haired girl around 14 years in a dark-green dress to stand up, "I would like to offer her as a courtier upon your court as a sign of our good relationships and as a gesture of trust."
    The young Mormont looked up shy, but with a smile towards Lady Karstark, showing respect to her. She obviously was not as trained as Lady Deana and even for her age not very tall. A flower among bears, which was one of the unspoken reasons, why Deana had decided to send her away.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

"Of course," said Helicent, "I would always welcome the sister of one of my prominent vassals in my court. She will learn much from court life. Come, Derya, sit."

Helicent patted the couch next to her.

Having the girl would also ensure the loyalty of House Mormont: a loyalty given freely now, much to Lady Deana's credit, but loyalties might always shift. The dependability of Bear Isle in future, if the Lady followed up on her pledge to become the powerhouse behind the North's western fleet, would be greatly important.

The girl sat down next to her, after her eldest sister nodded appreciateing towards her.
    "I am honored, mylady", was all Derya was able to say about the situation.

"I hope she will", Lady Deana replied pleased, before she decided to change the topic once more, "As about our current situation, I can promise you that Bear Island is makeing large progresses in building up the needed fleet for the North. Lord Blazeworth, one of your vassals confronted me those days with the question upon the high command upon the western fleet, which I assume would remain upon my and my family's controll in times of crisis, should Lord Theron or House Karstark not overtake the command upon it. Since Lord Edrick granted me this right, I do ask you if my thoughts do collide with the interests of Winterfell, as Lord Blazeworth might not necessarily speak upon Winterfell's behalf. I do trust the man and his loyality in your House, but not the ambitions of a newly founded House."
    She had no reasons to hide her thoughts about Lord Edrick from her overlord - Southrons always plot with kind and friendly words about those, they didn't like and all Deana knew was that her father nor her mother were descendants from Southrons.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

"No Karstark will command the fleet," said Helicent with a light laugh, "We are of the land. No, those on Bear Isle and those in Blazeport are sailors by nature: your two Houses are best suited to lead any naval campaign. I had instructed Lord Blazeworth to speak to you himself, such that you can both prepare whatever plans are necessary to enable swift action in defence of our coasts. Have such plans been laid by your meeting, then?"

"Lord Blazeworth hadn't proposed me any plans, but asked me to send my men under his command, should war affect the North", Lady Deana told, remembering the talk, "I answered him only that my swords serve the authority of Winterfell and that you have to decide upon this matter. As he accepted me as the overall fleet commander in a big crisis, I assume that he leaves the battle plans to me and send his forces immidiately to mine. However, I will remember him about this issue to clarify the situation."
    Last edited by Lord Dread; December 07, 2014 at 01:59 PM. Reason: changed due to wrong wording

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Helicent's brow furrowed slightly at the news.

"Forgive me, for I know little of naval affairs, but what is the strategic purpose behind sailing Blazeport's fleet up to Bear Isle in the event of war? Surely this leaves Blazeport, a most prized and precious port, open to blockade and invasion with the fleet gone?"

"I never said that the fleet would be rallied at Bear Island in a crisis", Deana replied only, "I only told Blazeworth that I would like to lead the combined fleet in high command. At which place it would happen is irrelevant, as long as it is a safe rally point - pride is not a weakness of mine, I need to extend to a point, where I do declare Bear Island's protection more important than the protection of Winterfell."
    I rather sacrifice my family if it serves the purpose to serve the North, she added in thought, even though she didn't spoke it out, We both know that my fleet is nothing, when there are no men to transport - and Bear Island lacks of those men, we both know that, mylady.
    "Forgive me, mylady, if my informations do displease you."

Poach's Avatar Civitate

"You did say Lord Blazeworth would send his ships to you," said Helicent, "the implication naturally being that they would leave Blazeport and sail to Bear Isle. I am glad this is not the case as I interpreted, then. My sole input is that Blazeport is central to the North's plans to rise in prosperity: your single greatest objective in any naval actions in the west is to preserve Blazeport."

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast