Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Winterfell, seat of House Stark

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Winterfell, seat of House Stark

Capital of the North and the ancestral seat of the Stark clan that is now believed dead, the Karstarks now rule in Winterfell as Lords Paramount of all the North under the Wall. Lord Harrold Karstark took charge of the North after the return of Blackfyre and the apparent extinction of House Stark.
    He has since died in the Great Spring Sickness, and now his elder sister, Helicent rules in her own right.
    Her first son by Lord Bolton, Thoren, has been annointed as a Kartark; their second son, a Bolton; and their third son, another Karstark.
    Each will inherit their respective ancestral seats upon the deaths of Helicent and Lord Bolton through the laws of Gavelkind.

Regent: Lady Helicent Karstark
    Heir: Thoren Karstark

Family Tree

Old Gorold Karstark, previous Lord
    - Born 119 AL ; died at Moat Cailin in an accident, 204 AL
    His two sons by Lady Beth (Hornwood):
    Uthor Karstark, first son of Gorold,
    - Born 145 AL ; Slain in the Battle of Long Lake, 184 AL
    His children, two by his wife Ursa (Umber):
    Cleitus "the Black" Snow, Bastard, Night's Watchman
    - Born 180 AL ; 40 Years Old
    Gorold "the Younger" Karstark,
    - Born sickly 181 AL ; Died of winter 200 AL
    Rickard Karstark,
    - Born 183 AL ; Slain at the Battle of Winterfell, 203
    Duncan Karstark, brother of Uthor
    - Born 165 AL ; Slain in Bolton's Rebellion 196 AL
    His children by Gysella (of Lorath):
    Brus Karstark,
    - Born 180 ; Slain in Bolton's Rebellion 195 AL
    Helicent Karstark,
    - Born 182 ; 42 Years Old
    Her children by Rodrik Bolton:
    Thoren Karstark, heir of Winterfell
    - Born 209 ; 15 Years Old
    Yohn Bolton, heir of Dreadfort
    - Born 212 ; 12 Years Old
    'Young' Gorold Karstark, heir of Karhold
    - Born 215 ; 9 Years Old
    Harrold Karstark, Lord in Karhold
    - Born 186 ; died in the G.Spring Sickness 211 AL
    Ysilla Karstark,
    - Born 195 ; 29 Years Old

Characters
    Helicent Karstark, the Lady of Winterfell, first daughter of Duncan Karstark and Gysella of Lorath
    Age 36 in 218 AL, born in 182 AL

Born in Karhold in 182 years After Landing, she is the first-born child and daughter of Duncan Karstark and Gysella of Lorath,
    and was the legal heiress to all the lands and possessions of House Karstark, when her brother, Lord Harrold, died.

As a child, she revealed a knack for deceit, manipulation, and authoritative behavior.
    Helicent could easily defeat her brothers at strategic games as young children, and easily catches every detail they often miss.
    Haughty, hale, and likely fertile, the woman has the potential for ambition and imperiousness.

In 208 AL, she married the Lord of the Dreadfort, Rodrik Bolton.

Skills (9)
    Spymaster +3
    Wealth +3
    Charisma +3

---------------------------------------------
    Auxiliary:

Thoren Karstark, heir of Winterfell
    - Born 209 ;
    Yohn Bolton, heir of Dreadfort (played by Pink?)
    - Born 212 ;
    'Young' Gorold Karstark, heir of Karhold
    - Born 215 ;

Ysilla Karstark, Helicent's sister.
    - Born 195 ;

Trade Resource: Furs (+5% Income, +1 to any rolls to convince an AI character to do something)

Slot 1: Grains from Pinkmaiden, +1,200 Land Levy
    Slot 2: Perfumes from Stokeworth, +2 Charisma
    Slot 3: ----

Regional Bonus - Brandon's Walls: Legends say that Winterfell was built some 8000 years ago by Brandon the Builder, who used giants to help him construct the castle. The castle is surrounded by two huge, thick granite walls, with a moat between them, making it incredibly defensible. This gives the defenders +3 to siege defense rolls.
    - Bastion of Strength: Though those in the North will fight on even if Winterfell is taken, it represents the strength of the North, and whoever holds it gains a huge morale boost and the loyalty of many in the North, allowing its owner to recruit troops at 75% of the normal cost, though upkeep remains the same. In addition, the Lord receives an additional +2 to his AI reaction rolls when dealing with Northern Lords.
    Last edited by Poach; December 05, 2014 at 12:55 PM.

Default Re: Winterfell, seat of House Karstark

Helicent stared long at the stone-carved likeness of her brother, laid as it was across the top of his newly-finished sarcophagus.
    Flowers were thrown at the base, and now began to wither, the funeral having been a few days past.

She frowned at it a last time before leaving the tomb and emerging in the green fields outside Wintefell's walls.
    "Doesn't look like him at all."

The new Karstark tomb was not with the Stark tombs underneath Winterfell, but, out of respect, in the barrows outside the walls.

Pinkerton's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard Feudalism View Post
    Helicent stared long at the stone-carved likeness of her brother, laid as it was across the top of his newly-finished sarcophagus.
    Flowers were thrown at the base, and now began to wither, the funeral having been a few days past.

She frowned at it a last time before leaving the tomb and emerging in the green fields outside Wintefell's walls.
    "Doesn't look like him at all."

The new Karstark tomb was not with the Stark tombs underneath Winterfell, but, out of respect, in the barrows outside the walls.
    "I don't know what to say to confort you, milady"

Bolton's deep voice came from behind her.

He liked Harrold. He had been a good man; he had allowed him his lands and treated him fairly. Not the same could be told of many northern Lords

"Don't then, Rodrik." She said frankly, walking forward out into the northern sunlight.
    Their three boys stood waiting for them outside the barrow, and some guards and retainers behind them.

"Don't then, Rodrik." She said frankly, walking forward out into the northern sunlight.
    Their three boys stood waiting for them outside the barrow, and some guards and retainers behind them.
    "The next couple of years, they're not going to be easy, Helicent. Manderly and the others are bound to do something."

Rodrik followed her step. He had always done so

"Then let them."
    Stark this, Stark that. 'When Beron was around,' this, that. Gah.
    "Law and power stands against them."

"Then let them."
    Stark this, Stark that. 'When Beron was around,' this, that. Gah.
    "Law and power stands against them."
    "Law, yes. Power? I am not that sure, Helicent. There is a new King in the Iron Throne and that changes everything."

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Lord William and his brother the Greatjon arrive at the gates of Winterfell as summoned by their new Lady Karstark. For the Manderly brothers and their retinue this was a solemn event, one to honor the dead and a chance to move forward.

Lord Tully and his family arrived along with a retiniue at the gates of Winterfell to speak with the current rulers of Winterfell. Long time it was unsafe to travel to the North during the Great Spring Sickness, but with the good harvest this year, Edric had decided that he would pay the family of the Karstarks another visit, as he mourned the death of Harrold.

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

Sir Godric travelled North towards Winterfell, he arrived to see a weakened stronghold war torn from the previous inhabitants. Entering the within the walls of Winterfell Godric unhorsed and looked for the master of the north

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

A small retinue flying the banner of Duskendale ride into the courtyard of Winterfell, most appearing tired from the journey. A knight dismounts and asks if a member of House Karstark is present to meet with the Darklyn emissary.

A standard with a three-headed dragon appears on the horizon. The dragon's heads are yellow, orange and bright red, the colors of fire. And the silken standard dances in the wind like flames. A company of twenty riders arrive to the gates of Winterfell and request an audience with Lady Karstark and Lord Bolton. Aerion Brightflame is seeking a bride...

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

As the dragon banners flew high signalling a royal visit. Whilst Oakheart stared at the retinue of men entering Winterfell a sense of sadness befell him as he saw the Karstark and Bolton banners flying high inside the castle though he knew not why. Something about this place seemed familiar to him, why? He did not know, all he knew is that he hated seeing the banners above the city. Part of him both hated and loved this place, occasionally he dreamt of eating within the great halls of the castle. Whenever he looked around in his dreams he was always sitting with the same people, he felt like he knew them but could not remember from where. The thought of food made him hungry, it was time to return to camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkerton View Post
    "Law, yes. Power? I am not that sure, Helicent. There is a new King in the Iron Throne and that changes everything."
    "True, husband, but the bastard's dynasty invested in my brother's right to the North."
    Looking upon their boys, she continued.
    "But as you are correct, we shall need to in turn invest loyalty and favor in our vassals and our king."

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles of Athens View Post
    Lord William and his brother the Greatjon arrive at the gates of Winterfell as summoned by their new Lady Karstark. For the Manderly brothers and their retinue this was a solemn event, one to honor the dead and a chance to move forward.
    The Manderlys are led into the warm halls of Winterfell, and eventually brought into the main hall where many other vassals had also gathered.

After some good handful of other vassals who had arrived before the Manderlys, they were called forward before Lady Karstark, who sat upon her dais from a mahogany throne.
    A table was laid out before here, and to her right sat her three boys, and to her right, Lord Bolton, her husband.

"Welcome to Winterfell, Lord William Manderly."

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dread View Post
    Lord Tully and his family arrived along with a retiniue at the gates of Winterfell to speak with the current rulers of Winterfell. Long time it was unsafe to travel to the North during the Great Spring Sickness, but with the good harvest this year, Edric had decided that he would pay the family of the Karstarks another visit, as he mourned the death of Harrold.
    The Tully's arrived into the halls of Winterfell sometime after all the vassals had left.
    Lady Helicent Karstark stood in the front of her main hall with her family, including Lord Bolton, to greet the Tullys.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord William View Post
    Sir Godric travelled North towards Winterfell, he arrived to see a weakened stronghold war torn from the previous inhabitants. Entering the within the walls of Winterfell Godric unhorsed and looked for the master of the north
    The hedge knight is questioned by a guardsmen.
    "What's your business, sir?"

Quote Originally Posted by Xion View Post
    A small retinue flying the banner of Duskendale ride into the courtyard of Winterfell, most appearing tired from the journey. A knight dismounts and asks if a member of House Karstark is present to meet with the Darklyn emissary.
    The riders from Duskendale are led into the main hall of Winterfell, and eventually Lady Helicent Karstark appears before them to meet her guest.

Quote Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post
    A standard with a three-headed dragon appears on the horizon. The dragon's heads are yellow, orange and bright red, the colors of fire. And the silken standard dances in the wind like flames. A company of twenty riders arrive to the gates of Winterfell and request an audience with Lady Karstark and Lord Bolton. Aerion Brightflame is seeking a bride...
    The Targaryen is let into the main hall immediately, and Lady Karstark appeared in her hall with haste to meet with him.

The Targaryen is let into the main hall immediately, and Lady Karstark appeared in her hall with haste to meet with him.
    The silver and golden hair frames the thin and arrogant face of Aerion, every inch a Valyrian. Thin and proportionate limbs, chiseled features, average of size, fair skin. He wore elegant and splendid robes in all the shades of yellow, red and orange, a heavy necklace around his neck and shoulders with dancing dragons. He bows before Lady Karstark:

"Lady Karstark, Lady Paramount of the North, Lady of Winterfell, the Karhold and the Dreadfort; thanks for this welcoming"

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

I am here to see the newest Lord of Winterfell
    Godric spoke with an unwavering tone
    I am Sir Godric Neville, you may announce me

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

The Tully's arrived into the halls of Winterfell sometime after all the vassals had left.
    Lady Helicent Karstark stood in the front of her main hall with her family, including Lord Bolton, to greet the Tullys.
    "Lady Karstark, Lord Bolton", Edric replied friendly, approaching the two persons as he would approach another Lord Paramount, "It is a long time, we haven't seen. I heard of the unfortunate death of your Lord brother, even though the Great Spring Sickness was mainly the reason, why I wasn't able to visit the burial ceremony of Lord Harrold. My apologizes."
    He made a small pause, while his children Ser Daryn and Lady Edlyn approached the two as well, bowing in respect towards the rulers of the North.
    "My heir, Ser Daryn Tully and my firstborn daughter, Edlyn", he continiued the introduction, "They have met Harrold once, when they were children - now, of course they are grown up, but since the North became during the civil war some kind of a second home during their exile, I decided that it might be good to bring them with me as well."

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

The halls were warm and filled with countrymen and kin, Boltons, Umbers, Flints - it would seem the entire North was in attendance. "I thank you for this most warm welcome, Lady Karstark. It has been some time since I've visited this ancient keep. I can still remember when Stark pups would run about these halls shrieking..it seems a lifetime ago." The plump Lord remarked wistfully, "But you've just lost much yourself, havent you my lady? No need to add to that burden with talks of the past."
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; October 27, 2014 at 01:45 PM.

The riders from Duskendale are led into the main hall of Winterfell, and eventually Lady Helicent Karstark appears before them to meet her guest.
    When Lady Karstark appears, Rhae Darklyn and the several knights who followed her into the main hall, bow. "Thank you for meeting with us, my lady. We have come to offer a trade lane between Stokeworth and Winterfell."

Quote Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post
    The silver and golden hair frames the thin and arrogant face of Aerion, every inch a Valyrian. Thin and proportionate limbs, chiseled features, average of size, fair skin. He wore elegant and splendid robes in all the shades of yellow, red and orange, a heavy necklace around his neck and shoulders with dancing dragons. He bows before Lady Karstark:

"Lady Karstark, Lady Paramount of the North, Lady of Winterfell, the Karhold and the Dreadfort; thanks for this welcoming"
    She bowed as well, providing a curtsy. Her red hair was tied up.
    "Aerion of Summerhall," she greeted, "You have surprised us with your presence.
    What does a Targaryen seek with the North?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lord William View Post
    I am here to see the newest Lord of Winterfell
    Godric spoke with an unwavering tone
    I am Sir Godric Neville, you may announce me
    "Neville? Never heard of you. You're a knight?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dread View Post
    "Lady Karstark, Lord Bolton", Edric replied friendly, approaching the two persons as he would approach another Lord Paramount, "It is a long time, we haven't seen. I heard of the unfortunate death of your Lord brother, even though the Great Spring Sickness was mainly the reason, why I wasn't able to visit the burial ceremony of Lord Harrold. My apologizes."
    He made a small pause, while his children Ser Daryn and Lady Edlyn approached the two as well, bowing in respect towards the rulers of the North.
    "My heir, Ser Daryn Tully and my firstborn daughter, Edlyn", he continiued the introduction, "They have met Harrold once, when they were children - now, of course they are grown up, but since the North became during the civil war some kind of a second home during their exile, I decided that it might be good to bring them with me as well."
    The Sun of Winter was hung high above Lady Karstark, the family symbol meaning the light in the cold.
    "Lord Tully," she answered politely, the light from a nearby hearth dancing upon her frame, "Thank you for your wishes."
    "My brother lays in the barrow if you wish to look upon him later. For now, will you eat with us?"

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles of Athens View Post
    The halls were warm and filled with countrymen and kin, Boltons, Umbers, Flints - it would seem the entire North was in attendance. "I thank you for this most warm welcome, Lady Karstark. It has been some time since I've visited this ancient keep. I can still remember when Stark pups would run about these halls shrieking..it seems a lifetime ago." The plump Lord remarked wistfully, "But you've just lost much yourself, havent you my lady? No need to add to that burden with talks of the past."
    The Lady's eyes narrowed into a sort of scrutiny, matching the furious red of her hair.
    She found insult in the words, somewhere, but ignored the feeling.
    "The South takes much from us all," Helicent answered, speaking of how wars had taken the Starks and how disease had come and taken many more.

Quote Originally Posted by Xion View Post
    When Lady Karstark appears, Rhae Darklyn and the several knights who followed her into the main hall, bow. "Thank you for meeting with us, my lady. We have come to offer a trade lane between Stokeworth and Winterfell."
    "Stokeworth," Helicent repeats, thinking.
    Narrowing her eyes, she asked "The lands of an ex-queen. What do you offer in trade?"

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast