Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Bugs & Feedback

Default Re: Bugs & Feedback

hated by a tribe in North Africa could be a throw back to when the faction was nova carthage
    Balbor

Former Creative Director
    Former Head Unit Modeller and Texture
    Fourth Age:Total War

Quick question, why do the bythinians look like Persians? Should they not have the same culture and look of the Greeks/Thracians, or am I garbleing up my history. I thought they were originally Thracian immigrants who took back power. Zipoites and Nicomedes who founded the city Nicomedia around this time, were they of mixed Persian and Thracian descent? My understanding is they were native Thracians.

Just a simple inquiry. I have no sources to back me up, just wishing the bythinians looked more Thracian/Greek. Could be completely wrong though.

Thanks for any information on the topic!

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by VikeKing View Post
    Quick question, why do the bythinians look like Persians? Should they not have the same culture and look of the Greeks/Thracians, or am I garbleing up my history. I thought they were originally Thracian immigrants who took back power. Zipoites and Nicomedes who founded the city Nicomedia around this time, were they of mixed Persian and Thracian descent? My understanding is they were native Thracians.

Just a simple inquiry. I have no sources to back me up, just wishing the bythinians looked more Thracian/Greek. Could be completely wrong though.

Thanks for any information on the topic!
    will leave that question for our bithynian researcher

Not sure if you guys noticed this but on legendary difficulty, AI Carthage can effectively have 0 upkeep merc armies. I thought this was a VV issue so I explored the pack but it indeed comes from Vanilla. As you know Carthage's faction trait discounts merc upkeep by 25%, however in the campaign difficulty table, rom_tech_military_management_mercenary_upkeep discounts them another 50% and rom_tech_military_management_upkeep_mod discounts 25% as well. I can understand perhaps 75% off but it just seems odd to me that they are completely free even on legendary. I've corrected it for myself but just thought you guys should know if you didn't already.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelP0acher View Post
    Not sure if you guys noticed this but on legendary difficulty, AI Carthage can effectively have 0 upkeep merc armies. I thought this was a VV issue so I explored the pack but it indeed comes from Vanilla. As you know Carthage's faction trait discounts merc upkeep by 25%, however in the campaign difficulty table, rom_tech_military_management_mercenary_upkeep discounts them another 50% and rom_tech_military_management_upkeep_mod discounts 25% as well. I can understand perhaps 75% off but it just seems odd to me that they are completely free even on legendary. I've corrected it for myself but just thought you guys should know if you didn't already.
    Cheers for the heads up mate will reduce the tech bonus for the next update and their faction trait as well

1) I liked the units Greeks, Gauls, Romans like vanilla (most shields have liked).
    2) By fighting only remark AI elite swordsmen stupidly rushing like a tank on the peaks, even lazy to outflank.
    3) According to my favorite shooters: Done in the "forehead" heavy infantry is not harmful, but the wings brings to time. It is desirable to reduce the number of arrows arrows (at least 30 to 20), and that I did not even managing to get a second quiver as the first stand of "vanilla reserve" 15 arrows. + Additional file from the fashion for blood, I fountains of blood already suffocating. Have not seen so much blood. Look armor warriors
    https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/2015-02-08_00001.jpg?_subject_uid=277068992&w=AAAyXc0cQQSEyd4jAIGWLC6fa6BJ5gTe0j1xmyvP45YUpw
    https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/2015-...PTpXYFqF9E2AlQ

Hi VV team!

Just wanted to say that you created a great mod so far. Its challanging and fun at the same time. There are so many aspects I could highlight here but the most important I think is your focus on realism and historical accuracy. You are doning a tremendous job researching and implementing your results into the game! Keep it up guys!

Decanus

I second that, there is a lot of good stuff in this mod. The roster is absolutely gorgeous and the tough economy feels much more realistic. Changes to tech research are done with great care and add a lot of interest to the campaign.

I would suggest playing on normal difficulty though because harder difficulties make building an army very taxing. There's a negative to growth due to recruitment (which is very smart) but on hard/VH difficulty you get only 1 recruit slot as a base, so you'll be recruiting away nearly all your growth. This is not much of a problem when you play as rome, carthage because those big factions have access to more recruit points off the top of the campaign (so they can recruit twice as fast which means only half the loss to growth) but as a single settlement faction you'll find it very very difficult to expand, on hard/VH difficulty. I would never argue to go back to 3 recruit points per turn, that makes soldiers feel cheap and I think it's unrealistic - but there is some balancing issue that needs to be looked at especially considering garrisons in this mod are very powerful - again making single settlement faction expansion a major challenge.

I also suggest running the vanilla ultra unit size ie: 160 troops per unit. Big units can be fun, kinda fantastic... but over the long run I think they interfere with good game play (settlements have difficulty handling them - each road way gets chocked and battles drag out for a long long time) I'd like to see the mod adopt 200 troops per infantry unit, like DeI... I think 200 would suit VV very good.

One last thing, the expensive build options feel really good but the black industry chain suffers greatly because this chain is wealth producing, only, so it's impacted more so by increased costs... I think the team should dig in to the buildings and add around +25% wealth output to each lvl 2+ building. For example: the Pit Mine at level 1 is not bad, it's pretty cheap to build and produces a hefty +100 wealth, but then at level 2 the cost of construction nearly doubles but the wealth output goes up to only 150...

ps: I think Organized Supply with it's big -5% upkeep has become too powerful, it's kind of obligatory to research that first before anything else.

Edit: to be more specific: factions who do not have access to a military structure off the top of the campaign.... these are the ones who end up with only 1 recruit slot on hard/VH/LGNDRY .. so .. if you load in to a faction and find you don't like having only 1 recruit per turn (which is, admittedly, very difficult) reload on normal difficulty or capture a settlement with a barracks...
    Last edited by La Tene; February 13, 2015 at 05:41 AM.

Decanus

I've just done the same few turns as syracus this time instead of hard difficulty normal and instead of 240 troops per infantry unit, 160. I reiterate - 160 troop units is a much better feel, particularly in settlement battles (there is room to maneuver to get the advantage rather than just pouring in troops) Again, I think 200 troops per unit might be a good spot also.

When it comes to recruit slots, whether it's going to be 1 slot + increased slots via characters and builds, or something else.. I just think there should be a standard that the campaign is balanced around.. manipulating recruit slots via the difficulty slider I think is, precarious. I think at least the player should be at the same base so that balancing the campaign for a realistic feel and a good over all flow is more achievable.

Missiles have obviously gotten much less damaging with updates, and this is very welcome imo (the ancients didn't carry around those heavy awkward boards for nothing) But I think they have become just a little bit too weak. Alternative to increasing damage it might be good to increase morale penalties to units under missile fire - this is one thing a bit lacking in the current battle mechanics, that being, melee troops are very resistant to routing, and, one issue this creates is a scenario where cavalry units have all the time in the world to run around destroying missile troops while the melee grinds on. Actually, steeper morale penalties for missile fire could really improve the current battle mechanics - you'd see more units routing without taking a terrible level of casualties and this would force the need for cavalry support and redeploying troops where they become more needed. This creates a really dynamic and challenging battle field, in fact, JaM over at R2TR is creating this dynamic in a brilliant way - it would be great to see Vie Victus achieving something similar.

Edit: after further game play I'd point out the battle mechanics for Vae Victus are very very good. I had argued for steeper morale penalties but this was because the units I was observing in action were very evenly matched, and thus, their melee grind would drag out for what seemed to be too long. But, actually, this was just a realistic effect, after all, and taken as a whole these scenarios won't present themselves often. In my opinion Vae Victus has nearly the most realistic and challenging battles of all the mods now available for Rome 2.
    Last edited by La Tene; February 24, 2015 at 03:06 AM.

I think the x2 unit sizes as a default are fine. There are multiple reasons for that (feels more realistic, battles are bigger thus more "epic" etc.). But the most important is that you can still adjust them through the options if you want them to be smaller.
    This way the player can decide for him-/herself. I find that most user friendly!
    I personally go for large size in VV (so 240 men per unit) but mostly because of limited CPU power.

The limit of recruitment slots is another thing I like very much in VV. Again it feels more realistic (especially because its 4TPY). And it makes the campaign harder, expansion slower and each unit more valuable. You will have to think twice with whom you go to war with. And you have to preserve your units in battle because you won't be able to instantly recruit another full-stack in no time.

About battles: I completely agree with La Tenes EDIT. The battle mechanics are brilliant. Battles feel very realistic and challenging at the same time. But my emphasis clearly lies on realism here. From my judgedment VV indeed has very good battle mechanics in terms of realism. Melee, missiles, Cavlary, morale or fatigue everything is balanced and so far I can't find anything to complain about no matter how hard I try
    Last edited by Hoplitus; February 24, 2015 at 01:52 AM.

just started a celtic trabali campaign , the roaster still has vanilla units and one of the horse missile units have a ship unit card lol

RollingWave's Avatar Praepositus

Not sure if I installed this wrong or something, but as Saba almost all the units are completely broken

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=398261977

over half the arabian units are like this, with no description and broken models, it has to be me doing something wrong right?

I can't say I like the way battles set up, I quickly realized that basically nothing beats 20 camel archers as they obliterate even heavy infantry in one charge. let alone out range every foot archers.
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by RollingWave View Post
    Not sure if I installed this wrong or something, but as Saba almost all the units are completely broken

over half the arabian units are like this, with no description and broken models, it has to be me doing something wrong right?

I can't say I like the way battles set up, I quickly realized that basically nothing beats 20 camel archers as they obliterate even heavy infantry in one charge. let alone out range every foot archers.
    Vanilla units may not be completely balanced such as the saka units and many of the eastern/nomadic factions

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by RollingWave View Post

Do you have all 5 mod packs? If you only only play with a few of the packs then a number of models will not be used and result in what you see there.

To make sure you have all 5 packs its best to subscribe to the steam collection or use the moddb/sourceforge version

I must say he is not the only one having such issues. It is with steam version, only playing with this mod, with 5 parts.
    I also have some units from which many equipments are missing (for Saba, Iberians, Egypt, maybe more).
    I also experienced this bug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Ardionso; February 24, 2015 at 01:10 PM.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

ah it seems one of the packs I uploaded never got updated. Will upload it now

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

ok its up now, those of you who noticed probs before with missing models can you try again a let me know if they are still missing?

Junaidi83 de Bodemloze's Avatar Dont Mess With Me

Busy day mate
    Modding is like accursed wine, you try a sip and you ended empty the whole glass
    Under Proud Patronage of Shankbot de Bodemloze

Although some little bugs remain, it seems that everything is ok now , thank you.
    Now i can see how much Iberians are great !

Would it be on the charts for you guys to do something different for some specific factions like the Nomads? Now; they feel like just a normal faction with simpler upgrade chains and tacked on cavalry only armies. Some features to make them seem more nomadic when playing as them? Maybe stuff like a garrison shuffle system and more range for cavalry only armies? Similarly something to stop them sucking when they're fighting in forests?