Thread: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan999 View Post
    Nah, looked like a ing crown going through his mid life crisis

ahhahahhahahahhahahahah.. no

Did you watch the feminist frequency

In all seriousness. What happened mate?

Im taking care of a lot of college right now (CommonApp, career surveys etc.) and my friends, mostly smart Asians were in a group chat with me. We were discussing application fees, acceptance rates and one of my friends is freaking out about getting into a well known local college, to which I jokingly responded he could easily do so because of affirmative action. My friends pointed out to me that Asians are discriminated against in affirmative action as well as whites. Apparently some colleges actually are willing to accept students with as much as a couple hundred SAT points lower than my almost 2200 simple based on race, and our country stupidly lumps together my friend who is Pakistani with East Asians in terms of discrimination against. So they count South Asians, a completely different ethnic and religious group, together with East Asians in being discriminated against alongside whites. I mean if you're going to use your hypocritical racist methods of "promoting equality" that doesn't even account for individuals of a "privileged group" being poor, at least have a better method of differentiating between completely different economic and social backgrounds. My Muslim Pakistani friend shouldn't be the same to them as my Afghani friend and my Chinese friend.

But I know, I should check my white privilege because I have so much in this country in a middle class neighborhood with a dickhead dad who's being a about money while my parents are separating. I didn't work nearly as hard for that 2200 SAT score as any Hispanic or black kid, even one in a rich neighborhood or from extremely different ethnicities as another person in their "group", would've worked for a 2000.

The whole system is retarded and just shows how idiotic seeing colleges for anything other than crap organizations going to any slummy level for funding from special interests, is.
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

The entire American education system is flawed. Don't get me started. Should've just done what Finland did, that is, copy the East German educational system. Oh well, now you have a huge student debt bubble waiting to burst. Occupy Wall Street was only the beginning.

Maybe if they actually enrolled students based on actual merit instead of race you'd have people actually capable of finishing and succeeding in their education.

Statistics are presented demonstrating that Asians on average must achieve an SAT score 140 points higher than white students, 270 points higher than Hispanic students, and 450 points higher than black applicants to have equal chance of a Harvard acceptance letter.
    Combating racism rofl.

Sorry if it just seems I'm going on and on but all this college stuff has me really pissed and this, along with my liberal Gov teacher going on about how it's our responsibility to help "underprivileged groups" just adds to it. I'll finish ranting now.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

It's true, mostly Blacks and Hispanics are favoured in affirmative action and that sickens me.
    Asians are discriminated against which is a huge wtf. Whites automatically get the end of the stick even though there are plenty of poor whites.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; October 13, 2015 at 02:51 PM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Unfortunately I can't say anything bad from my own experience since I got the

best out of everything, which includes a grant as a East Asian male. But I also happen

to be stupid as (or at least IMO).

In my opinion - and this is coming from a career student - higher education ought to be limited to an elite. The rest ought to go to professional schools (aka job training). But no one in America wants to hear this. In fact, I'd be out of a job if that were to happen. It's ironic that my future career will rely on an educational system that I detest.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I'm poor enough to get grants. BTW Canada does this a lot less.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Diamat View Post
    In my opinion - and this is coming from a career student - higher education ought to be limited to an elite. The rest ought to go to professional schools (aka job training). But no one in America wants to hear this. In fact, I'd be out of a job if that were to happen. It's ironic that my future career will rely on an educational system that I detest.
    This sounds awfully like what the Italians are doing (or so my High school history teacher who came from Italy

would tell me)

Off note: But hey GGG is young enough so he can always go into pro gaming . This is running under the assumption

that EU or Total war can make itself a E-Sports like Starcraft, Dota, LOL, Halo, or Counter Strike though .

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

The entire American education system is flawed. Don't get me started. Should've just done what Finland did, that is, copy the East German educational system. Oh well, now you have a huge student debt bubble waiting to burst. Occupy Wall Street was only the beginning.
    We wouldn't have so much debt if the Federal Government didn't start student loans in the first place. If students can get unlimited money for college, of course colleges are going to increase their prices.
    How about this, forgive student loans, but at the same time eliminate the whole student loan program. That way, prices will naturally lower, and college will become more affordable. If prices don't decrease a ton of colleges will be going bankrupt.

Lol Spartan I barely play anymore. I was never even that great at these games in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    We wouldn't have so much debt if the Federal Government didn't start student loans in the first place. If students can get unlimited money for college, of course colleges are going to increase their prices.
    How about this, forgive student loans, but at the same time eliminate the whole student loan program. That way, prices will naturally lower, and college will become more affordable. If prices don't decrease a ton of colleges will be going bankrupt.
    Even if the federal government would try to eliminate student loans, private loan companies would take over, and loan practices would be even worse. Even now, federal loans partially run through private loan companies. If the federal government were to completely abandon student loans at this point, the consequences would be dire, I believe. This problem won't be fixed by any such move as lone forgiveness. You need to tackle the problem at its root, which is the entire culture surrounding the educational system as a whole. The entire educational system needs to be revamped, either by the individual states or through the federal government. But if you know the United States, you know that this won't happen. We both know this won't happen. The crisis will come.

In a perfect world, only the small elite would attend university, those who have proven by merit (not some silly standardized SAT or ACT test), that they can perform in their degree field. And those degrees would directly relate to the field in which they would work one day. Thus, most of the population would attend trade schools, where they would learn practical skills that they need for their jobs one day, schools which would not last 4-5 years and which would not cost much money at all. Only the small elite would go through an actual university education that lasts 4 years, but only because they need all this training to perform at a job that requires such rigorous academic training. It's pretty logical and makes economic sense. What's holding the United States back is a culture where everyone thinks they "deserve" a full-blown university education, where college has become a sort of rite of passage, and where the entire educational system is geared to climax in this flawed university system.

If the Fed stepped out, yes private loan companies would step in, but the private sector thinks differently than the public sector. The private sector thinks a couple things, how can I make the most out of this investment, and is the investment risky? I would never give a loan to someone majoring in women's studies or history. Or any of the humanities. Those people can't pay their loans back. People in the sciences can.

Oh and Diamat, what is the determinant of the elite?
    I hope the answer to that is those who have money, because if not then I'll say go back to Russia

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    If the Fed stepped out, yes private loan companies would step in, but the private sector thinks differently than the public sector. The private sector thinks a couple things, how can I make the most out of this investment, and is the investment risky? I would never give a loan to someone majoring in women's studies or history. Or any of the humanities. Those people can't pay their loans back. People in the sciences can.

Oh and Diamat, what is the determinant of the elite?
    I hope the answer to that is those who have money, because if not then I'll say go back to Russia
    Ahem, if you look at the housing bubble that developed and the subsequent crisis, you know that what you're saying is not completely true. Or just look at the credit card debts in the US. I really don't think it would be too difficult, in the current environment, to find the money somehow, even if the interest rates would be extremely unfair to the person loaning.

And as for the determinant of the elite, as I said, it should be based on merit in relation to the specific field you are entering. It has nothing to do with money or political background. And by God, please don't let it be based on money.

Quote Originally Posted by ggggtotalwarrior View Post
    Lol Spartan I barely play anymore. I was never even that great at these games in the first place.
    woah not with that attitude ur not. You can always go into causal Arena.

It's CA try hard way to get into the e-sports scene (or I think)

Or RNGstone if you just like praying to whatever to help you win .

But in all seriousness, do you have a scholarship or any grants that were offer to ya?

Ahem, if you look at the housing bubble that developed and the subsequent crisis, you know that what you're saying is not completely true. Or just look at the credit card debts in the US. I really don't think it would be too difficult, in the current environment, to find the money somehow, even if the interest rates would be extremely unfair to the person loaning.
    Apples and oranges. You're comparing the investment of two completely different commodities.

Not really, especially given the fact that you could easily take out a bunch of credit cards to pay for your tuition, if worse comes to worse.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

hello there fellow chatters

if you are interested about TW:WH, please just have a look here at our latest preview; feel free to comment
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

It is going to be a trilogy? That means we are going to have like 5 or six years of warhammer?

Ron Paul believed that direct loans from universities to students would make it more equitable versus banks making the profits. However what we have is a massive unemployment of college graduates, and even when they find a low wage service job, they can't pay off education loans. This generation can't save the money to place as a down payment on a home, but live with their parents and delay marriage.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; October 15, 2015 at 07:26 AM.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    It is going to be a trilogy? That means we are going to have like 5 or six years of warhammer?
    so it looks

we are but at early stages of the game develompent, so anything can still change afaik
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader