Page 2 of 501 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752102 ... LastLast

Thread: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

If u change ur name ill never forgive u.

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

Noone should change their name ever. Follow the conventions set forth by me and ferdiad. stay with one name and a consistent avatar theme for all eternity

*and all other sensible memebrs who have one name always, like grneyeddvl

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Squid Girl View Post
    loli. LOLI. What the is this? The old Chat hasn't even been given a Christian burial. Its corpse is starting to rot in the Devia main, man. What has the staff come to...

You sound like Will Ferrel in The Other Guys, lol.
    There's no pleasing you guys, is there? A dead man isn't put in the ground minutes after he has passed away either, is he? We had some time to say goodbye, one last glimpse and now it's gone. This gives better closure mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Makrell View Post
    Noone should change their name ever. Follow the conventions set forth by me and ferdiad. stay with one name and a consistent avatar theme for all eternity

*and all other sensible memebrs who have one name always, like grneyeddvl
    Also make sure to edit your profile theme once and then never touch it again.

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad View Post
    Also make sure to edit your profile theme once and then never touch it again.
    LOL You should do like me, and add some mesmerizing gifs.

Although your grey background does fit with the border of the reply box.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

New thread already? That's cool I guess. You know, whatever.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Adamat's Avatar Invertebrate

Time to go e-bully some folks.
    #JusticeForCookie #JusticeForCal #JusticeForAkar #JusticeForAthelchan

dota? you should add me on steam

I'm not gonna play dota right now, I'm depressed. The people I get matched up with are so, SO bad at this game

git gud and carry your way out of there. Go pick heroes like storm and go mid and snowball

I swear to god I'm trying to

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/977837709

I don't even play captains at my mmr tbh. Most of the captains think theyre ppd and draft stupid .

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Why is everything gone!? Ferdiad have you picked the headset?

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

I missed purging the previous CT because of school. This area must be dying seeing as the previous lasted almost a year and I think we had two in the year before that (barely posted in the first, became a regular in the second). Here's to yet another age of the vaunted Chat Thread!

edit: I just looked at last pages stats. Apparently Oda led us in spamming with almost 1,000 posts, whereas I fell to sixth with 452 (I think at one point I was 2nd or third) and never reached my goal of surpassing our good friend Jo Simonyi.
    Last edited by ggggtotalwarrior; October 23, 2014 at 05:33 PM.
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    Why is everything gone!? Ferdiad have you picked the headset?
    Not yet, might get the one I was linked to in the thread in the basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad View Post
    If u change ur name ill never forgive u.
    But almost everybody else is doing it!

Off note: ing Traffic giving me a massive headache and

we're out of Advil today....

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan999 View Post
    But almost everybody else is doing it!
    Do it man, you will feel liberated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    That because I find very hard to put that deja vu feeling I got while playing Halo 1 and Red Faction into words. I'm not saying that we should label all games after that as copies but you can't deny that those two share a lot of the source material.
    Well, you speak of it like it's obvious, but there are just a lot of differences between the two games. At least as many as you'd expect from two of the same genre.

H: had laser weapons too but that's not the point. I'm not talking about the shape of the weapon or even the graphical effects but how it feels when compared to HL and other games. If you look at all other fps games of the time the key words were more dakka, aiming, ammo conservation and choosing the right gun for the task were practically irrelevant. Not so with Half Life and Halo.
    Nah that's really not true. There were plenty of games in that time where ammo was important and in which each gun had its advantages and drawbacks. Half Life and Halo stand out mostly because they're some of those that got the balance just right - though a key feature of Halo (and another thing that separates it) is that you can only carry two guns, which forces you to plan more and act more strategically in that regard. For HL, everyone knows (and loves) the 'trolley' of heavy weapons Freeman would have to be dragging around behind him if HL was made real. Also the very nature of FPS implies that you have to aim well...

Also the types of weapons you can use really are important to how a game plays, and the plasma weapons you use in Halo (including the fairly novel overcharge pistol) were very different to anything you can find in HL.

Look at the speed of the character in both games, the possible pattern of movement and how the accent is on taking as little damage as possible and deliberate (sometimes slow) progression as opposed to the hyper "finish the level as fast as humanly possible" "rush in guns blazing" style of Quake, Duke Nukem or Unreal.
    The point is to take lots of damage in other games?

Either way, the fact that these games, like most FPS, tend towards realistic movement patterns and speeds is a really weak reason to claim that one is a copy of the other.

Actually HL did have all those things, except for the cutscenes (which weren't that big of a deal in Halo either - you could go whole levels without one of the appearing)
    Nope, they were both very different in that regard. Half Life's only real character was the G-Man, and his appearances are so scant, unexplained and subdued that he barely counts. Freeman never speaks and most of the dialogue is basically just chat between NPC's or them telling you how to go on, or what to do. I would definitely say that Half-Life had a cinematic side to it which was part of what makes it so great, but these were made to feel very real, personal and spontaneous (things happening right before your eyes), whereas in Halo they were done in a classical, grand, theatrical style of taking place during cutscenes. Also, the things happening involve other characters acting and interacting of their own agency (Cortana and Guilty Spark, Keyes unwittingly releasing the flood, Foehammer and Cortana talking between each other). Heck that's another thing Halo was different in, the fact that you have someone speaking to you the whole time. The closest HL gets to any of this is the nameless clone-professors talking about the experiment before it happens.

Also as Derpy said, there's at the very least one cutscene between every mission, but there are generally a fair few more than that.

The aliens yes. The human soldiers would actually hide behind crates, take you out of cover with greandes or lay rudimentary ambushes.
    Though there are clear differences here. The Covenant move much more fluidly and realistically, whereas as I said, even the human enemies in HL will robotically make a beeline for your location from wherever they are, once you're out of sight. They only throw grenades rarely and usually end up gibbing themselves and/or friendlies with them when they do.

Not only these but there are a myriad of other things, like the melee feature for ranged weapons, sticky grenades, weapon overheat, a better use of allies and teamwork...and so-on. The similarities you're listing are bare-bones, like if I'd say that two burgers are the same because they both happen to have buns, meat, sauce and some bits of vegetables in them.
    Last edited by Inkie; October 23, 2014 at 06:09 PM.

Under the patronage of the formidable and lovely Narf.

Proud patron of Derpy Hooves, Audacia, Lordsith, Frodo45127 and Sir Adrian.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by ggggtotalwarrior View Post
    I missed purging the previous CT because of school. This area must be dying seeing as the previous lasted almost a year and I think we had two in the year before that (barely posted in the first, became a regular in the second). Here's to yet another age of the vaunted Chat Thread!

edit: I just looked at last pages stats. Apparently Oda led us in spamming with almost 1,000 posts, whereas I fell to sixth with 452 (I think at one point I was 2nd or third) and never reached my goal of surpassing our good friend Jo Simonyi.
    I didn't even know that. Honestly I wasn't trying to win that contest.

But what if previous Chat Thread is not kill?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQoRXhS7vlU

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by ggggtotalwarrior View Post

Maybe in the beginning, but I am pretty sure it was somewhere around 3 or 4 place as Lyra, Squid

and the Smurf was first place before I overthrow them and than Oda overthrow me.

Quote Originally Posted by Squid Girl View Post
    Do it man, you will feel liberated.
    I will make mine sound the most manliest. I will call myself Tiffany
    Last edited by Spartan999; October 23, 2014 at 06:19 PM.

Wow so expressive.