Thread: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Shuu View Post
    Skyrim vanilla is a giant turd, same as Lolblivion. Literally the only good things about it were, mod support (which is also a bad thing), setting, better alchemy, interactive book-shelves. Everything else was worse than in Morrowind or jsut plain broken (smiting, enchanting, followers)
    Lol ridiculous overstatement. Skyrim vanilla is commonly ranked among the best rpg's of all time.

But hey, your opinion. But it is an fridge opinion that is representative of the vast majority of people playing the game back then.

You can argue it was not as good as I think it is, but a turd? Lol no.
    Last edited by Påsan; November 12, 2015 at 02:17 PM.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Never liked Oblivion anyway. Although Skyrim is one of my favourite games but somehow it feels empty without mods.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Riverknight's Avatar Last of the Romans

I liked Oblivion more than Skyrim. I thought that it was due to Oblivion being my first Bethesda game, but I did a replay about a year ago and still enjoyed it more than Skyrim. I think it's mainly due to me just not liking the setting of Skyrim; although I could literally spend hours in Skyrim walking around Solitude or just in the woods. I still enjoy Fallout way more than TeS though.

Citizen

I thought Oblivion was a bit .. odd with the graphics. And Cyrodill is a bit bland compared to Skyrim imo. It had some very good questlines though. I remember the dark brotherhood and thieves guild being better. And of course the Sheogorath expansion was legendary. The DLC's for Skyrim was pretty good too but the storylines could have been used better.

Best storylines in skyrim are frikkin mods. They've done amazing things. Like this one omg.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

My gripe with Oblivion is the graphics and gameplay a bit.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Lol ridiculous overstatement. Skyrim vanilla is commonly ranked among the best rpg's of all time.

But hey, your opinion. But it is an fridge opinion that is representative of the vast majority of people playing the game back then.

Vanilla Skyrim and Oblivion are mega turds, the only appeal those games have is only on your first play through, after that you discover how shallow and superficial they are. Skyrim at least has some nice atmosphere, better aesthetics, scenery, voice acting and facial animations but still it's unplayable without A LOT of mods.

The worse thing is, that a lot of those mods could have easily been part of vanilla and nobody would notice.

Frankly I have no idea how is it even close to Witcher 3 on those ratings, unless they the mods into account, than I understand because Skyrim with mods is one of the most amazing things that ever happened to gaming. I have feeling Fallout 4 will explode there too.

Are you even noticing that CA/SEGA?
    Last edited by The Despondent Mind; November 12, 2015 at 07:39 PM.

My biggest gripe is the Roman Empire expys. It's bad enough that they included them in Skyrim, but it's terribly uncreative that they used them in New Vegas too.
    I really enjoy playing the games but it annoys me that they have to resort to such crude and cliche ways of worldbuilding.

Oh and on the topic of Oblivion... In the first hour of playing it I had a 1000+ bounty all because I didn't know how the stealing mecahnic worked, it was a disaster. The first playthrough I learnt to be an insomniac. On the second playthrough I learnt how to power level. I remember weighting down my keys so I would constantly cast 2damage+1heal spells on me while I would go do other things like study, do my washing etc. ah fun fun. I actually think the graphics were great (they are bad by today's standards but at the time they were astounding) my bff and I would get stoned before playing and it was amaaaazing. Oh and I loved the contrast between beautiful sunny Cyrodillic forest and Oblivion portal terrorscape.

PS: has anyone ever broken into the Ocularium? (If it's even called that?) It's in the mage's university.
    Last edited by OnnaBushido; November 12, 2015 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    Vanilla Skyrim and Oblivion are mega turds, the only appeal those games have is only on your first play through, after that you discover how shallow and superficial they are. Skyrim at least has some nice atmosphere, better aesthetics, scenery, voice acting and facial animations but still it's unplayable without A LOT of mods.

The worse thing is, that a lot of those mods could have easily been part of vanilla and nobody would notice.

Frankly I have no idea how is it even close to Witcher 3 on those ratings, unless they the mods into account, than I understand because Skyrim with mods is one of the most amazing things that ever happened to gaming. I have feeling Fallout 4 will explode there too.

Are you even noticing that CA/SEGA?
    Pretty sure the rating was during release and when mods didn't come out (yet).

Or so that would be my assumption.

I mean CA give plenty of mod support, or best they could considering their business tactic is

a yearly release like COD and AC
    Last edited by Spartan999; November 12, 2015 at 08:34 PM.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by OnnaBushido View Post
    My biggest gripe is the Roman Empire expys. It's bad enough that they included them in Skyrim, but it's terribly uncreative that they used them in New Vegas too.
    I really enjoy playing the games but it annoys me that they have to resort to such crude and cliche ways of worldbuilding.

Oh and on the topic of Oblivion... In the first hour of playing it I had a 1000+ bounty all because I didn't know how the stealing mecahnic worked, it was a disaster. The first playthrough I learnt to be an insomniac. On the second playthrough I learnt how to power level. I remember weighting down my keys so I would constantly cast 2damage+1heal spells on me while I would go do other things like study, do my washing etc. ah fun fun. I actually think the graphics were great (they are bad by today's standards but at the time they were astounding) my bff and I would get stoned before playing and it was amaaaazing. Oh and I loved the contrast between beautiful sunny Cyrodillic forest and Oblivion portal terrorscape.

PS: has anyone ever broken into the Ocularium? (If it's even called that?) It's in the mage's university.
    Whats the difference between the fantasy Romans and the fantasy Vikings or fantasy Samurai in TES?

@Pasan Romans are overused in media. That's it. If they had say Scythian expys or Han Dynasty expy's, basically something I see in media less then I would be content.
    I actually liked the fantasy vikings in skyrim because I never see it in games. It was a novelty rather than a cliche.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Hello there fellow chatters

For those interested, we have just published our latest article the Interview with Radious, one of the most known and respected modders at TWC.

We hope you will enjoy the reading
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

Eh, Morrowind is the better game and damn anyone who says otherwise.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

^This. Just hearing the intro theme sends shivers down my spine.

@Onna: I remember that annoying power levelling, too. I think I used the heavy part of my watch to keep the respective key down.
    Unfortunately with the more or less broken level-offset mechanics for opponents it was necessary to keep combat doable, unlike in Morrowind where it just gave a nice extra bonus.

Skyrim was nice, but did not offer enough roleplaying. For some reason they assumed any given player would happily side with the Stormcloak barbarians or the Imperial oppressors and completely ignored the possibility of a Dunmer hating everyone. It deeply offended my Velothi soul that I could not reply to the Thalmor Justiciar's questions about Talos worship that I did not care about any of the divines because my stakes were with the Tribunal, Ancestors and the Daedra...
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post

Pasan this is seriously the worst thing I've ever heard coming out of your mouth. If you genuinely think Skyrim is one of the best RPGs of all time there's no hope for you.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

I guess it all depends on what one thinks that RPG is

actually Skyrim might not look to be a standardized Rpg, but in a certain sense it is a pure one, because NOTHING forbids you to role play your charcter (I mean you can avoid to switch continuosly from "good" to "bad" behaviour just because it's convenient; you can avoid pickpocketing fellow guild members or pillaging their chests just because you CAN, and so on; actually it is just like in real life, there is no alignment that will punish or reward you if you stick with it or not, and you only have to deal with the consequences of bad actions if they catch you and with "your" conscience. I guess too many people is accustomed to the idea of Rpg like it is in D&D or similar games.)
    I can agree that the plot or the progression isn't the best ever in Skyrim or that you are not offered with a full range of speaches/interaction (guys, how many other games you know in which you can create a character with hundreds of variants and that is able to offer you specific speaches/interaction for EACH of the possible character? I know none of them), still none the less as a free roaming rpg I liked it (actually I dislike the kind of "forced" rpgs, those where you seem to have choices but actually whatever you do the plot doesn't really change), at least with Skyrim you have the chance to decide to side someone with the civil war or with the dawnguard and you can also interpreter your character according to the original idea without being forced to do ANYTHING (such as, if I play a thief-like character, I don't join Wintherold or Jorrvaskr guilds, but only thief guild in Riften). Heck if you want you can play for hundreds of hours without the need to start any mission,main plot included
    Sure, someone prefers more "adult" rpgs, where you are put in front of moral decision or have to deal with more mature matters such as sex or so, still this is just a kind of rpg and it's very subjective.. I heard people speaking of The Witcher as if it is the miracle that changed rpg world, well actually I haven't played the 3rd one, but 1 and 2 were really nothing special in terms of RPG, IMO.

And if you want to really roleplay, the only way is to play with other humans, because only them can interact and react in a natural and plausible way
    Last edited by Flinn; November 13, 2015 at 09:17 AM. Reason: added a bit of text
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

I didn't understand the how the Empire in TeS is becoming more... "Latin" with their names and armies. But Caesars Legion in New Vegas was fantastic, it was an extremely unique faction that many people including myself thought they should have fleshed out more.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

They only had 12 months to make the game when they were promised 18. That's why

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad View Post
    They only had 12 months to make the game when they were promised 18. That's why
    I heard something about that, they should have made a DLC where you go into lands controlled by the Legion.

I would have preferred that Caesar's Legion was based in Caesar's Palace in Vegas. XD

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad View Post
    Pasan this is seriously the worst thing I've ever heard coming out of your mouth. If you genuinely think Skyrim is one of the best RPGs of all time there's no hope for you.
    Careface.

Last edited by Påsan; November 14, 2015 at 02:46 AM.