Thread: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Quote Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
    By the way, is it true that you can legally shoot a Scotsman in York using a bow and arrow (or something like that)?

Britain has some of the most ridiculous legal systems I have ever seen. No wonder over 100 million Indians died under their occupation.
    ​How many of those died of old age

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Britain has some of the most ridiculous legal systems I have ever seen. No wonder over 100 million Indians died under their occupation.
    Yeah, because any other nation would have easily prevented all those deaths in an underdeveloped and highly populated region. I doubt another coloniser would have caused significantly less deaths, the approach to how to handle your colonies was virtually the same for all, milk them and if someone throws a tantrum you shoot him. Not being colonised would probably mean continued internal conflict and missing out on modernisation with probably a similar death toll.

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

People learn by observance and trial. It is possible she never saw anyone open a screw cap drink bottle properly, but come on, aren't the bottlecaps one of the most common things visible on earth?

Until I was 8 years old, I had never seen any other kind of bottlecap than the one you just mentioned. Simply because I never saw someone carrying a bottle of that kind.

Reminds me of the fact that despite being 17 and a half, I have not yet learned how to open a can of soft drink, or any can of any kind.
    To be fair, there's a little more to opening a can than a bottle. Also, you've got servants to do it for you. I don't know, there's a lot more wrong with her. She's basically become entirely dependent on other people to do things for her, including getting food made for her when she comes home from school. I don't know understand why anyone wouldn't want to break out of that and actually be independent for once.

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    ​How many of those died of old age
    That figure is actually completely full of those who were 'put before the cannon' (tied to big guns and exploded as capital punishment), beaten to death by the government, intentionally starved to death in large man-made famines, executed by the British army, or those who were too unfortunate to be at home while the Brits sacked their cities left, right and center.

Also the bad conditions in prisons. Even the last (Mughal) Indian Emperor perished in a prison.

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    Yeah, because any other nation would have easily prevented all those deaths in an underdeveloped and highly populated region. I doubt another coloniser would have caused significantly less deaths, the apporach to how to handle your colonies was virtually the same for all, milk them and if someone throws a tantrum you shoot him. Not being colonised would probably mean continued internal conflict and missing out on modernisation with probably a similar death toll.
    Actually, until 1858 the region wasn't undeveloped, it was only undeveloped in the modern, industrial theory of development. Although it wasn't as great as it had been under Mughal Empire until 1700 (extremely wealthy nation that sometimes had the largest GDP in the world), the traditional architecture was still there. There were still roads even after Mughal collapse, there were the ancient cities and urban culture, a booming agriculture that had been there for centuries, the system of crops that kept the people well fed as well as allowed trading, the internal trade routes were still fledging, a kind of 'household economy' system, guilds and hereditary trades, and so on. In other words, Indian economy had mostly been working fine like it had been in 17th and 18th century.

That traditional infrastructure soon broke down with the collapse of both Mughal and Maratha empires, whose 70-year longwar had costed a lot to India. The new British rulers were clueless about how the existing system worked in India (which was almost two millenia old by this time), resulting in a collapse of agriculture and start of famines. The fact that British were too busy exploiting the region, putting harsh taxes and armed goons as tax collectors, fighting for the breakaways of former Mughal territory (Afghanistan, Sikh Empire) in wars and generally suppressing the Indians.

The problem came with the style of rule. Until British, all foreign invaders had either left and went back to home with lots of loot, or got incorporated into India and didn't disturb the economy that had been working like that for two millenia straight, eventually turning into Indians themselves. Mughals were foreign invaders at first, but made India their home and decided not to touch the working economy here, only enhance it in traditional way.

Meanwhile, the British ruled India as a colony, with a complete disregard for traditions, way of doing things and existing systems here, and combined with greedy exploitation and extreme brutality, it eventually caused the collapse of the whole Indian economy that India has never managed to recovered from.

Also, I agree with the modernization violence thing. But also there is this thing to know - India was already much ahead in modernization compared to other powers of the Asia, say the huge Qing Empire or the Tokugawa Shogunate. That's because as soon as Europeans built colonial trading posts, Indian kings and emperors (both Maratha and Mughal) were quick to copy their military systems, as well as do a number of small internal reforms. Modernization wouldn't have resulted in too much violence, as people were used to the new technology already. At least as long as it didn't result in changes in culture and religion.
    Last edited by General Maximus; February 16, 2015 at 02:49 PM.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

If you really want to have this discussion, why don't you take it to VV where it belongs and open a new thread "Are the British Directly Responsible for 100 million Indian Deaths" it would be a better fit there than as an add-on here in TD chat.

I know, and that's why I stopped there despite having lots of more facts. There was no point in continuing that discussion here.

That figure is actually completely full of those who were 'put before the cannon' (tied to big guns and exploded as capital punishment), beaten to death by the government, intentionally starved to death in large man-made famines, executed by the British army, or those who were too unfortunate to be at home while the Brits sacked their cities left, right and center.
    Being put before cannon was an old mughal punishment adopted by the British as it was considered more humane than flogging to death and was more acceptable to the indian populace. I'm not sure what Britain would have to gain form intentionally starving people but I'm sure your upcoming thread in the VV will give me plenty of time to scrutinize it. Luckily I have a week off.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Being put before cannon was an old mughal punishment adopted by the British as it was considered more humane than flogging to death and was more acceptable to the indian populace. I'm not sure what Britain would have to gain form intentionally starving people but I'm sure your upcoming thread in the VV will give me plenty of time to scrutinize it. Luckily I have a week off.
    Well, Bengal Famine was devastating and there were hundreds more man-made famines, although you won't see my thread in VV so soon. I'll have to do some more research and collect some more facts before I think I can create a thread for a healthy debate.

Anyone of you ever seen a good mixology? Particularly with all that acrobatic action?

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I don't even know what mixology means.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

I have heard of it, but never of it involving acrobatic action.

Under the patronage of the formidable and lovely Narf.

Proud patron of Derpy Hooves, Audacia, Lordsith, Frodo45127 and Sir Adrian.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Come back maximus, we need to know.

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

I expect Maximus is busy putting down the latest serf revolt on his land. Give him time, guys.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

​I just had an unfair dream. I dreamed that someone who was my best friend until two years ago (when he stopped all communications with me for some reason) called me up and we had a long talk. ;_;

Patrician

Two of my friends went to different colleges and we haven't spoken since. That was in 2013.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I haven't even seen my best friend of my high school in 2 years. (I think it's the equvalent of high school, too lazy to look it up). We were best friends for like 5 years, then suddenly we just stopped speaking for no good reason. Oh wait, it was about the same time I found TWC wasn't it...
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Patrician

Same story here, after grade 11 I joined TWC but I really got more active in 2012 when all my friends ran off.

Pretty much the same story over here.

LOL, so instead of the world ending in 2012 it was our social lives

Patrician

So we misinterpreted the meaning of those Mayan texts.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Was just the end of a cycle

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    I haven't even seen my best friend of my high school in 2 years. (I think it's the equvalent of high school, too lazy to look it up). We were best friends for like 5 years, then suddenly we just stopped speaking for no good reason. Oh wait, it was about the same time I found TWC wasn't it...
    It's OK, you musn't blame youself for that friend not getting an account too

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory