Thread: Development preview of Italy

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Development preview of Italy

I realized I did not include a preview thread for them, they are just hidden in the main threa

Venetian fusilier

Front plate detail

Grenadiers

Cuirassier (I'll change the Saddlecloth to red)

ragoons

Chasseur a cheval

General

Artillery

Oversea fusilier

Garrison

Militia

Citizens

Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Development preview of Italy

Papal states

Grenadier

Fusilier

Voltigeur

Details of the shako

For the garrison, similar uniform, without the pompon, a single belt, and the blue regimental colour (1st regiment)

And then we have the provincial infantry, with blue coats, and here white regimental colours.

Grenadier

Fusilier

Voltigeur

Dragoon

Noble guard

Artillery.

Citizens

And general

Last unit for the Papal states.

I had to do some compromises to work with the meshes and textures available. I know this unit is not really historical, since I doubt they ever use this uniform in battle, and beside I couldn't put all the correct détails, and added a few of my own. But I couldn't resist making them.

Patrician Artifex

Sicily

Guard grenadier (I'll change the belt to white)

Line grenadier

Line fusilier

Line chasseur

And garrison (uses the provincial regiment uniforms since apparently they all were garrison)

I forgot to preview the Sicilian volunteer chasseur

and Sicilian light cav

Patrician Artifex

Sardinia / Savoy

Here are some previews for Sardinia. This is not an easy faction.
    We have references for the army until 1799 with a relative variety of troops.
    Then we have the army of the exile to Sardinia. A rather small army with only a few régiments. If I follow the historical references to closely, then the factions would not be very interesting to play.
    And then the army of the restoration. A few more units. But a distinctive lack of uniform variety (grenadier, fusilier, chasseur, all have blue trouser and coat, a very similar helmet, no big distinctive signs...

Basically, almost all the units would look the same... So I had to find some compromises.

I made uniforms based mostly on the restoration., with the helmet and blue Caterpillar.

I made a few adaption for gameplay: I designed a new frontplate, based on the 1817 shako, with a different plate for grenadier, fusilier and voltigeur. Normally, they have the VE letters, but I replaced it with the cross of Savoy to have something more generic.

Here is an example of grenadier. I also added a small plume, and epaulette in red for the grenadiers. And regimental colour in red.

Then we have the chasseurs. Specific plate, green plume and epaulette and black belt (not historical, but I need to have them different from the grenadiers somewhow).
    I also used black regimental (a few régiments actual had black colours, while none had green).

And finallly the fusilier. Again specific plate, no plume, staps instead of epaulette. And kind of pink regimental colours

All the above are "ordinanza nazionali" units.

We also have the provincial units (not so good, but they have a garrison bonus and replace militia)

For them, I used similar uniforms, but the crest for the helmet is almost non existant (close to the exile period helmet), the Caterpillar is directly above the helmet.
    And I used a taller plume, and the uniform has a less satured blue.

The Sardinian army thus look very similar, as it should be, but I hope the small variations I introduced are sufficient to differentiate the units while remaining within acceptable historical boundaries.

Artillery

Foot guard

Artillery

Foot guard

And last Sardinian units: Guardie del Corpo

Patrician Artifex

Naples (only a few units are preview, I have actually more)

A few more to guess

Patrician Artifex

Update of the Italian chasseur with their unique Czapka made by Sirlion: the top is a square, but the corner are 45° offset compared to other factions (and so the front is "flat" and not pointy).