Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Avengers: Age of Ultron

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Default Re: Avengers: Age of Ultron

Transformers did so well because it was filmed largely in China so it did really well over there.

Guardians was the highest grossing movie in the US.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesīr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    How the flying did Maleficent do so well? Also Transformers & Bay make lulzy amounts of money.
    Somebody actually did something creative with what is both a classic fairy tale and a classic Disney cartoon? Need I say more? :p
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    Transformers did so well because it was filmed largely in China so it did really well over there.

Guardians was the highest grossing movie in the US.
    It was not filmed in China at all. It just pandered to the Chinese and the government.

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post

How the flying did Maleficent do so well? Also Transformers & Bay make lulzy amounts of money.

I will never understand how did Maleficient pull of those numbers, when the movie was released it was lukewarm, I never met that many real fans or people that speak about it. Quite an enigma really.
    Basically I haven't felt it's presence in media at all, but it somehow crawled it's way over hugely anticipated movies like X-Men, Gone Girl(Which won't make nowhere near it's numbers), How To Train Your Dragon 2, Captain America etc...

Anyway back on the subject here, am I the only one who actually was more happy when they heard Ultron is in the picture as supposed to Thanos. I don't know why, but when I heard Ultron is in, I was like "okay if they do Ultron right, Thanos and his Godess can go themselves now ". He's simply the generic galactic Overlord without much interesting stuff to him. Essentially he feelt to me like a boring childish Darkseid - though his name is way cooler.
    Last edited by The Despondent Mind; October 28, 2014 at 08:38 PM.

I will never understand how did Maleficient pull of those numbers, when the movie was released it was lukewarm, I never met that many real fans or people that speak about it. Quite an enigma really.
    kids, and children are a very profitable and large audience. There is a reason most blockbusters, if not all, have the consideration to have its films being rated for family audience or at least PEG 13 the larger the audienec demographics the better from a comercial point of view.

right, Thanos and his Godess can go themselves now ". He's simply the generic galactic Overlord without much interesting stuff to him. Essentially he feelt to me like a boring childish Darkseid - though his name is way cooler
    There is no doubt that he is a ripp off of Darkseid... hell alot of Marvel characters are rip-offs from DC characters
    DC - Marvel
    Darksied -Thanos
    Imperiex - Galactus
    The penguin- The Owl
    Aquaman - Namor ( allthough im not sure who is ripping off who on this one)
    Bumblebee - Wasp ( same)
    Suicide Squad - Thunderbolts
    Swamp thing - Man Thing
    Deadshot - Bullseye
    Deathstroke - Deadpool
    Green lantern Corps - Nova Corps
    Catwoman - Black cat
    Superman - Hyperion
    The Executioner - The punisher
    Green arrow - Hawkeye
    Doom patrol - X-men
    Spider queen - Spiderman
    I could go on and on while DC has some rip offs from marvel as well like the fighting american, and rip claw ( cap and wolverine) largely its the other way arround though from what i can tell.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; October 28, 2014 at 09:23 PM.

Why can DC only pull off a decent Batman and Superman then.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

A lot of those ripp offs or the original characters seem pretty obscure, while some are pretty ridiculous to be considered as ripp offs like Deadpool, he's just way too different.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    There is no doubt that he is a ripp off of Darkseid... hell alot of Marvel characters are rip-offs from DC characters

Imperiex - Galactus
    Wait...

Did you just say...

Dude not even close, Imperiex is from this millennium

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    A lot of those ripp offs or the original characters seem pretty obscure, while some are pretty ridiculous to be considered as ripp offs like Deadpool, he's just way too different.
    Actually deadpool could be considered a parody (at least now, when he was created by the 90's hack Rob Liefeld he was more a straight up imitation). I mean they didn't even bother to make the name different.
    Slade Wilson/Wade Wilson? Really?

Dc has things like:

Wolverine - Lobo
    Hulk - Doomsday
    Fantastic 4 - Whatever that stupid group was that spawned Cyborg Superman
    Man Thing - Swamp Thing (I think)

Also from what I can tell Wasp and Namor were first
    Last edited by the_mango55; October 28, 2014 at 09:44 PM.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesīr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Or Imperiex he has no similarities with Galactus whatsoever.

There are obvious ripp offs, but I don't think there so much of them in number.

Or you simply go with the "power&skill" logic, I mean you just can't consider quicksivler as a rip off from flash, it's not like DC invented super speed.
    Last edited by The Despondent Mind; October 28, 2014 at 09:48 PM.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Nah marvel's quicksilver was ripped off Mercury which was ripped off Hermes which was ripped off OG Flash.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

SO, that AoS scene was pretty fun.

Citizen

Yeah I tried to find a video to post but the only ones that were up were cell phone videos of someone's TV
    ttt

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by saxdude View Post
    SO, that AoS scene was pretty fun.
    I was ironic. I dont give a who ripped off who back in the 60's whatever.

Wait...

Did you just say...

Dude not even close, Imperiex is from this millennium
    Yeah it is the other way arround, my mistake. Also Swanp thing, and Man thing came in the same year. hard to say who is riping off who on that one.
    Wolverine - Lobo
    Hulk - Doomsday
    No way... Wolverine-Rip claw no doubt though ( i just cant find Lobo very similar, but i dont like Lobo anyway). Cant find Doomsday very similar to hulk at all as well.

Anyway i only posted as a curiosity, there are some rip offs that are better handled and made so there you go.
    A lot of those ripp offs or the original characters seem pretty obscure,
    Doesnt matter if they are obscure or not... Also a thing i would like to point out is how Dr.Doom has the same outfit as the spectre, its a clear rip off, yet Doom is much more knowned, even if it is a much more mediocre character then spectre ( wich is probably not a character aimed at the usual demographic imo, funny how Ghost rider also take some cues from the spectre)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Yeah I tried to find a video to post but the only ones that were up were cell phone videos of someone's TV
    You mean this video of Avengers infinity war trailer or something else?

I guess this pretyy much confirms it that The Gem on the "Lokis" scepter is indeed an infinity stone.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; October 28, 2014 at 10:59 PM.

Citizen

No way... Wolverine-Rip claw no doubt though ( i just cant find Lobo very similar, but i dont like Lobo anyway). Cant find Doomsday very similar to hulk at all as well.

Anyway i only posted as a curiosity, there are some rip offs that are better handled and made so there you go.
    Rip Claw is a rip off of Wolverine's powers, Lobo is a rip-off of/parody/cash-in of wolverine's popularity by creating a character with a very similar personality.

And yes, a gigantic barely sentient rage monster who heals quickly and is a threat to everyone around it, how could anyone confuse him for ______? (you notice that either Hulk or Doomsday could fit in that blank).

Also I recommend everyone watching this video. It mentions the Hulk/Doomsday connection briefly but I recommend watching it because it's hilarious and makes a great point about something that has happened to comics. Strong language. Lots of funny celebrity cameos.

I guess this pretyy much confirms it that The Gem on the "Lokis" scepter is indeed an infinity stone.
    Something else. Marvel aired an extended version of the trailer during Agents of Shield, featured the scene from Comic Con where the Avengers were tryiing to lift Thor's hammer. It will probably be online tomorrow.
    ttt

Yeah it is the other way arround, my mistake. Also Swanp thing, and Man thing came in the same year. hard to say who is riping off who on that one.

Doesnt matter if they are obscure or not... Also a thing i would like to point out is how Dr.Doom has the same outfit as the spectre, its a clear rip off, yet Doom is much more knowned, even if it is a much more mediocre character then spectre ( wich is probably not a character aimed at the usual demographic imo, funny how Ghost rider also take some cues from the spectre)

I'm sorry but everybody is mediocre compared to Dr.Doom. And once again just because they have a similar physical appearance that doesn't make Doom a ripp off.

And yes, a gigantic barely sentient rage monster who heals quickly and is a threat to everyone around it, how could anyone confuse him for ______? (you notice that either Hulk or Doomsday could fit in that blank).
    Hum yeah i guess i was picturing the banner character or the Dr. Henry Jekyll / Edward Hyde Type of character, of a scientist with the conflictous nature between himself and what it becomes etc. Other than some powers i realy dont see much comparison though.

Something else. Marvel aired an extended version of the trailer during Agents of Shield, featured the scene from Comic Con where the Avengers were tryiing to lift Thor's hammer. It will probably be online tomorrow.
    Im yet to see this week episode, i shall see it... basicaly to see the trailer

here it is for you folks for the ones that want to see it with good enough quality... ah and i was speaking about thors hammer... lol
    http://screenrant.com/avengers-age-u...r-thor-hammer/

I'm sorry but everybody is mediocre compared to Dr.Doom. And once again just because they have a similar physical appearance that doesn't make Doom a ripp off.
    Doom is quite ridiculous imo in fact Fantastic four comics might be the worse comics arround of this genre..
    Spectre on the other hand is actualy quite a loved, cult character from vertigo series, not unlike Constantine, Sandman for example.
    Spectre would make Doom cry like a baby , or even Galactus... but then again Spectre is one of those characters that belongs in another realm all together, the Spectre is a supernatural being of nigh-unlimited might whose mission is to unleash the Wrath of God upon evil men. He is always bound to the soul of a deceased human. Three humans have been bound to the Spectre during the modern age, with Jim Corrigan being its current, Hall Jordan the Green lantern has been a host body as well when he died.

But you have point, while they realy look alike, this from a visual artistic perspective, it is relevant, from writing one not so much, these characters are actualy very different besides their looks.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; October 29, 2014 at 07:10 AM.

sabaku_no_gaara's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jin View Post
    Yes they are. Your average person that goes and watches the movies and enjoys them but is not very familiar with the universe wouldn't know who the Inhumans are, wouldn't know know Captain Marvel/Ms Marvel and so on. They don't into the cartoon productions near as much as the main characters we've seen so far. They don't get into the games near as much and so on.
    Iron man, captain America, the Guardians, heck even Thor weren't known to the broad public over here.

USA comics aren't as big over here, and most people only know the X men and spider-man because those cartoons aired here for a decade and then got rerun again and again and again (I'm still wondering if Peter Parker ever finds the real MJ again)

(Now the cartoons have been replaced by an avengers cartoon series)

Hum well here in Portugal Marvel comics like Avengers, Hulk, X men and what not were quite popular in the 90s, mostly because they were imported from Brazil.
    So most kids would know by then of Thor, captain, the fantastic four etc, even if it was superficialy, most people could/can know who they are.

I would kill somebody to see this in a Marvel Produced movie:

The guy can be so badass, frightening and even sympathetic, I just don't know why doesn't 20th Century Fox make an new "Loki" out of him.
    Last edited by The Despondent Mind; October 29, 2014 at 06:13 PM.