Thread: Version question

Default Version question

I have M2 Gold edition. I have installed the first game using the first disc. I cannot run any updates from the second one (the Kingdoms one). I get the message that I already have 1.03 installed, but in-game it says 1.02. Should I just install Kingdoms or am I doing something wrong?

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Default Re: Version question

If you ever had the game installed before, you have to uninstall it, again, delete all traces, again, and either use a good free registry cleaner or regedit to remove the registry entries CA's Piece of of an installer does not remove. XP or 8.1, same .

I didn't have the game installed before. This is a new hard drive.

If I try to install Kingdoms, will it work if the game is not patched up to 1.3? Cause if it works, then I'm in the clear, and it means the game patched correctly. I am using XP.

I doubt it as it needs the 1.2 and 1.3 patches before Kingdoms will install.

Did you install an old Windows backup? Old registry would probably be there.
    Have you disabled the UAC, yet?

I installed Windows from a bootable XP CD. Everything is as fresh as it could be. There is no UAC in XP. I will try to install Kingdoms and see what happens.

You didn't say it was XP. About all installs now are Win8/8.1 related. XP is no longer supported by Microsoft and Windows Update may not do it's job as expected anymore.

Logged in as Administrator?
    Try to run the patches separately instead of using autorun?
    Set the patches to "Run as Administrator"?

It acts like a registry key even for XP.

I said it in my second post.

I only created one profile, so I must be the administrator.

I did try to run the patches separately.

I haven't tried to install Kingdoms yet, but I will do that now.

Ok, I did run it as the administrator, which for some reason is a different profile...I will have to look into that...but it still says it can't apply patch 1.03 to my 1.03 installation.

I've installed all four Kingdoms campaigns and they say 1.04. M2 still says 1.02. I'll slap on the 1.05 patch now.

The Kingdoms campaigns now say 1.05, but M2 still says 1.02. Also, the launcher crashes every time, but the game still starts. This happened from the very beginning. For you it says 1.03, right? I think that's what it said for me on my old hard drive (which died a month ago). Maybe I will uninstall and reinstall. However, it doesn't make sense for me to have to patch M2, since I have the Gold edition, meaning the game is already patched to 1.03. Maybe it's just being stupid and not displaying the correct number.
    Last edited by k/t; October 22, 2014 at 05:00 PM.

New one on me. Good luck with it. Happy modding.

I updated the previous post.

I can't mod anything until I recover my files from the old hard drive.

For everyone else it says 1.03?
    Last edited by k/t; October 22, 2014 at 05:12 PM.

medieval2.exe is 1.02/1.2 for singleplayer and 1.03/1.3 for multiplayer. This is why the confusion, the 1.03 patch was only made for multuplayer but it's required to update to Kingdoms. Seven years later I still scratch my head at the logic.

kingdoms.exe, disc version, is 1.04/1.4 before the patch, 1.05/1.5 after the patch.

I could lay all doubts to rest by trying to do a multiplayer game then.

Thanks for the help.

I've had the same issue with Battlefield 2, now that I think about it. The lousy game said the 1.41 patch had been installed, but there was no change in the number shown in-game. However, the 1.5 patch, which needs 1.41, installed just fine, I can play the game without the CD (which was one of the changes made by the patch), and the number showed 1.5. Every time you install Windows, something goes screwy. Grrrrr.
    Last edited by k/t; October 22, 2014 at 09:10 PM.