Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2.4 Troops recruitment system

Default 2.4 Troops recruitment system

Do you have any suggestion? What would you prefer?

Mappo's Avatar Civis

Default Re: 2.4 Troops recruitment system

Hi Byzantineboy, I would like to see a system similar to that of De Bello Mundi. In De Bello Mundi for example when you have occupied a region you can have both barracks where recruiting the troops originating from your faction and barracks where you can recruit troops AOR of the country that you have occupied. Of course with some limitation.
    Faithful in the centuries
    &

karaislam's Avatar Vicarius

i had a submod for broken crescent.called as grey wolf.i had an unique unit stat system i also changed the recruitments i suppose.it was really quite impressive.u can take that as base if u want.

i ve lost all the files-datas for my mods,minimods,unit packs.

How did you organized the recruitment in the Grey Wolf? On which basis? Do you remember?

karaislam's Avatar Vicarius

i had made something like

peasant-light-medium-heavy-elite

5 kind of unit classes.

The AORs need to be larger.

I think that the should be a building where you can recruit mercenaries by zones, as for example,war-elephants in the Indian cities and fortress.

Check my BC submod for details on how I've done it. I've listed the changes in the first post.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Rampante-Cid View Post
    I think that the should be a building where you can recruit mercenaries by zones, as for example,war-elephants in the Indian cities and fortress.
    Certainly with emphasis on historical mercenary settlements like the Italian traders in Konstantinoupolis
    Last edited by Antiokhos Euergetes; October 25, 2014 at 02:35 AM.

My problem is that its so hard to have access to elite troops when it actually matter. When I finally have them, the game is already nearly won or the regions where I can recruit them are just too far away.

One suggestion I would highly recommend is to include a town militia for every faction, recruitable anywhere. It seems rather odd and unrealistic having to keep a garrison in a huge city, of troops costing 500 upkeep or to train low cost/quality troops costing 100 upkeep three provinces or more away and march them around the map to garrison a city.

baradona's Avatar Libertus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Can you explain more your idea Mike?

If you have a common town militia unit for all factions that would help with keeping a decent sized garrison in a settlement without having to go bankrupt by having to buy sometimes hugely expensive aor units. I am referring more to operating outside ones aor, currently the size of aors are very small. This common unit can be recruited anywhere.

I keep the idea in my mind.

Giving upkeep-free garrisoning for AI
    and maybe, if AI is able to use is advantage, some specific building for having garrisoning free for player.

Could you people possibly consider studying the AOR again? I haven't played in almost a year, waiting for 2.4, but I remember how annoying it is to fight the KoJ in the Levant as The Abbasid Caliphate where the only units I can train are the ajnad and those green militia spear units I forgot the name of. >_> Some units might as well be location neutral, such as the Caliph's guard who were recruited from everywhere in real life.

baradona's Avatar Libertus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I really like the idea about expanding the AOR since I had the same problem @Trueman is talking about whenever I play as Ayyubids and expand in Sudan (makuria) i always face the problem of limited recruitment. Also, playing as KOJ and expanding into Egypt I don't find any troops to be recruited from there that would make a difference. I think if we can have something like very cheap recruited units that would be kept as garrisons in AOR areas then it would help a lot. We could add this fact that if you conquer a place where they are completely different to your religion then high quality AOR units should be more expensive since it would be harder to find people who are willing to join for a different religion invader. I think that could play a part of tying religion more with military in BC.

Yeah, it is sure, AOR would be expanded.

Personally, I think the AOR is fine. Perhaps some of the rare tribal units could be made more easily available. If the game is difficult, there is the option to play on easy. There are experienced players who find the game easy and expanding the AOR would make it too easy for them. I posted sometime ago an alternative campaign AI that separates the difficulty levels more, so that playing on medium or easy difficulty is not as hard as it used to be. The campaign AI is savegame compatible.

On the topic of militia, I tend to agree that some factions (such as KoJ) oddly have no militia and have to garrison their cities with knights and sergeants. A cheap unit of non-descript levy spearmen would be enough.

On upkeep, the AI manages well with what it has, I do not think there is a need for free upkeep. That would create new problems in balancing the campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey of Villehardouin View Post
    Personally, I think the AOR is fine. Perhaps some of the rare tribal units could be made more easily available. If the game is difficult, there is the option to play on easy. There are experienced players who find the game easy and expanding the AOR would make it too easy for them. I posted sometime ago an alternative campaign AI that separates the difficulty levels more, so that playing on medium or easy difficulty is not as hard as it used to be. The campaign AI is savegame compatible.

On the topic of militia, I tend to agree that some factions (such as KoJ) oddly have no militia and have to garrison their cities with knights and sergeants. A cheap unit of non-descript levy spearmen would be enough.

On upkeep, the AI manages well with what it has, I do not think there is a need for free upkeep. That would create new problems in balancing the campaign.
    I couldn't agree more

Perhaps you could add a special building where you recruit your most basic units(Ghaznavid Regulars, Armored Sergents, etc) that you can field soem sort of competent units if the situation requires in your more remote provinces and not depend too much in AOR units. Also, I`d like to see a Askari Noble system for Christian Factions: KoJ is already covered with norman knoghts but the rest is left with any sort cavalry support. Ghulams and Askaris make the muslim factios very fun to play and provide some variety the non-muslim factions lack: Your Armenian Armies, for example, are just a huge mob a spearmen with perhaps one(or two) cavalry units and some Vishap Units in the best case.

I suggest to make strong units be made recrutable via a Askari-like system for the muslims: Scholari Units could be recruited in high tier Goverment Buildings, Beja Nomads via the Caravansar, Nakharar Knights via the Armenian Abbey etc. And since you plan to include the Jizya and Dhimmies sub-mod why not add some units that could be amde available via the Quarter Building?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast