Thread: "More impressive than man walking on the moon"

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Default "More impressive than man walking on the moon"

The mechanisms by which transplanted cells mediate their functional effects remain unclear-but,it seems that
    Paralysed man walks again after cell transplant
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Default Re: "More impressive than man walking on the moon"

Not sure if its more impressive, but its definitely more practical.

I worked in a genetics lab in 90 as a undergrad trying to find out why some birds are able to regenerate neuro tissue for the same end. Lots and lots of acrylamide gels. The PI was going through a divorce at the time and sort of left the lab to to assistant and things weren't going very smooth when I graduated. I do wonder what became of that research.

Edit: Ah google. He got a write up in the NYT's in 2010, and looks damn good, shaved his beard. Good for him, nice guy.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/06/science/06bird.html
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

One small step for a man, one giant leap in medical treatment.

Apparently, nose cells need to constantly regenerate due to pollution.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Another step to humans being gods in 50-100 years...

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Let the mechanicum arise and stop this petty genetics!

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

I'm with Phier. Useful yes, impressive not so much. Paralyzed men slowly recovering through sheer force of will is far more impressive.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

How is curing paralysis not impressive. Bloody generation raised watching superhero movies I'm sure that is the problem, if its not Spiderman its meh.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Because we already have a cure only it is a very arduous process consisting of baby steps?

PS: I'm part of the same generation as you.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    I'm with Phier. Useful yes, impressive not so much. Paralyzed men slowly recovering through sheer force of will is far more impressive.
    I should be clear, I find it quite impressive, just not moon landing impressive.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

I cant wait until some rich becomes immortal and starts acting like a god and then hopefully he commits somekind of massive fraud so hes in jail for eons, that would be the karma of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Evans View Post
    I cant wait until some rich becomes immortal and starts acting like a god and then hopefully he commits somekind of massive fraud so hes in jail for eons, that would be the karma of it.
    Thats an odd thing to be excited for.

It does bring up an interesting concept of what is jail time if one is immortal, but still an odd thing to want to see happen.

My shameful truth.

There's a lot to be excited about the moon and its time. There might not be too much to be excited about the moon and this time. Even the latest NASA launch was a new orbit for new tests for god's sake. Forget the latest in new communications that they're not really interested in that common people use that would've had them facepalming over the computations it would've taken to have it working. Of course, the modern project might be interesting. Say, Venus. I like the name personally. HAVOC. That aught to drive people crazy. I'll laugh.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

xcorps's Avatar Praefectus

Manned space blimps on venus...ugh.

There's an interesting discusdiscussion of the matter at the at the Kerbal Space Program science subforum. All I want to do when I think about it is take a flamethrower to NASA.
    "Every idea is an incitement. It offers itself for belief and if believed it is acted on unless some other belief outweighs it or some failure of energy stifles the movement at its birth. The only difference between the expression of an opinion and an incitement in the narrower sense is the speaker's enthusiasm for the result. Eloquence may set fire to reason." -Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Comparing it to the moon landing is a bit unfair, since this is exciting news nonetheless.