Thread: Game Graphics blurry

Default Game Graphics blurry

Hello,

RTW II graphics are very blurry and the game looks unplayable to me,
    I have checked unlimited Video memory in the options and Graphics are set to Extreme settings, still the game graphics look very ugly and unplayable.
    Been googling and tried out graphics mod aswell as sweetfx but none of those seem to help.
    Also upgrading or downgrading Graphics drivers doesnt help either

PC Spec
    Radeon R9 270x Graphics
    Amd Quad 4ghz
    8gb DDR 3 ram
    Windows 8.1 OS

SPARTAN VI's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Game Graphics blurry

Can you attach a screenshot? Are only the textures blurry, or are you finding the UI elements and geometry are blurry too?

Blurry textures suggest you may not have anisotropic filtering enabled, which generally enhances texture clarity when they're viewed at angles. Does your game look like the image on the left?

If you're finding everything is blurry, my guess is that you're not running the game's resolution at the native resolution of your monitor, therefore it's scaling (i.e. stretching) the image to fill up the space. For example, if your game resolution is set to 1280x1024, but the native resolution of your monitor is 1920x1080, you'll get some nasty stretching to the point that everything seems blurry.
    Last edited by SPARTAN VI; October 21, 2014 at 10:59 AM.

2016 TW: Warhammer Modding Winner!

SPARTAN VI's Building Progression Icons Mod
    Streaming Total War & Strategy Games - SPARTAN VI's Game Night

Thats how it looks like, It does look like it is low res. However my Desktop resolution is 1920x1080 and so it is ingame, I also tried it on my second monitor and it looks the same.

AF I tried in Trilinear, 2x 8x and 16x but no difference.

Also the game looks very blurry in campaign map aswell.

Pleaseeee help me out

It looks like the terrain is blurry to me. I can see a clear line across the ground that anisotropic filtering (AF) should've cleared up. Open up your Catalyst Control Center and check your AF settings. If it's set to "application controlled" try forcing it to 16x yourself, or if it's already set to 16x, then try switching it back to "application controlled" to see if you at least get different results.

While you're in there, make sure you have morphological antialiasing (MLAA) disabled. Although this form of AA works well even for games that don't support full AA, it sometimes doesn't discriminate in what it applies anti-aliasing to (e.g. text, UI elements, etc), which may explain some of the blurriness.

Ty for reply,
    I tried this out and had great hope there but this doesnt fix it either .
    What other options are there ?

Uninstall graphics driver, reboot, run driver cleaner/sweeper, reboot, reinstall graphics driver.

Did this earlier reverting back as far as Catalyst 13 and upgrading till 14.9.1 Beta.
    Reinstalled rome aswell, deleted preferences script and started from scratch aswell.
    I dunno what options are there left.

So here's the same-ish screenshot on my system 1920x1080, extreme settings, everything maxed out and enabled, and vanilla (i.e. no mods). Other than contrast/gamma differences, it appears your text is blurrier and DoF is off. The terrain actually looks very similar to mine, guess I just didn't notice it when in motion.

Hmm the blurry text actually comes from sweetfx as it somehow downgrades to DX9.
    But still the game looks like yours. IF I zoom in to textures and units they look sharp.
    Anyways can you show/tell me how your campaign map looks like ?

Quote Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
    Hmm the blurry text actually comes from sweetfx as it somehow downgrades to DX9.
    But still the game looks like yours. IF I zoom in to textures and units they look sharp.
    Anyways can you show/tell me how your campaign map looks like ?
    Yeah, for sure. For the best comparison, I'd say if we start a new Imperial Campaign as Rome, then without moving the camera take one screenshot, then zoom in completely, and take another screenshot. I'll do the same on my side so we'll get identical screenshots.