Thread: Which faction has the greatest archers?

King Alaric I's Avatar Laetus

Default Which faction has the greatest archers?

My opinion is with the Sarranid Sultanate. But the Khergit Khanate have great horse archers.

Whats you're opinion?

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Default Re: Which faction has the greatest archers?

The game tries to make out that it's the Vaegir's archers but they're probably the worst. Their bows are powerful but their rate of fire is far too slow to be worth it. Plus they're too expensive to be used in any great numbers. I would definitely agree with the Sarranid archers. The Khergits horse archers are very tough and pretty accurate but I often fine that at most they just annoy the enemy then actually doing any real damage. Plus they seem to be too mobile for the AI, who just steer their horse straight into an enemy formation and get slaughtered. They are quite good but they always need lots of support to ensure victory. The Sarranids can win sieges by themselves.

That said, if we're including Rhodok Crossbowmen then there's no contest. They are by far the best missile unit in the game.

Ulyaoth's Avatar Truly a God Amongst Men

Rhodoks are awesome in every way just boring slow battles. With am all rhodok army I could just sit back and command if I want to and mop up armies ten times my size if I've got a hill to hide on.
    I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

Under the Patronage of the Almighty Justinian

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Crossbowmen are not archers; one on one wise Khergit is best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Functionally wise they are all missile units. And Rhodocs are the best. Ideal balanced army have 1/3 Rhodoc crossbowmen, 1/3 Nord infantry and 1/3 Swadian knights.

Then you can win most field battles and take castles and towns easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Functionally wise they are all missile units.
    Yes but there are major difference between crossbow and bow in the game, hence they are still very different. The OP asks archer, not men who use crossbow.

Furthermore I would argue Rhodok crossbowmen are good not because their range ability, but rather its flexibility to use as melee infantry; range attack wise, Rhodok crossbowmen do not do significantly better than Swadian crossbowmen.
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Do people actually rely on foot archers for anything? It's unlikely they can kill anyone unless we're talking about elves in LOTR mod.

HAs are far more useful, to serve as un-catchable bait. Doesn't matter whether they can hit or not.

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    Do people actually rely on foot archers for anything? It's unlikely they can kill anyone unless we're talking about elves in LOTR mod.
    They are quite important in siege defense though; I particularly dislike siege Khergit your troops often take 2/3 casualty before even reach the top of wall.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    They are quite important in siege defense though; I particularly dislike siege Khergit your troops often take 2/3 casualty before even reach the top of wall.
    Give each of your companions three largest shields and put them in front should help.

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    Give each of your companions three largest shields and put them in front should help.
    Not when use siege tower; no shield can stop repeat fire arrow of Khergit in that situation.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Oh, that must be why I resorted to cheat in the first place.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Wut? What kind of foot archers are you using? Peasants with stones?

Its all about how you use them laddie.
    Last edited by Påsan; November 06, 2014 at 04:53 PM.

Claudius Gothicus's Avatar Petit Burgués

I haven't played "seriously" in a few years, but I'll have to go with Rhodok sharpshooters: the IA doesn't use them very well, but if you happen to find them entrenched in fortresses you are going to have a bad time, even in vanilla you can take some significant field casualties if you happen to run into a Rhodokian leader that has massed elite units. In large multiplayer events (plus 50 per side) with organized and pre setted sides, not those team-deathmatch kill-fests, Rhodokian teams that follow simple commands, mass sharpshooters and avoid basic flanking manoeuvres can rush well positioned archers by simply walking with their shields up and, at the same time, fending off infantry. I've even seen all-foot rhodoks hold their ground while surrounded by Horse archers, these are some resilient troops, unlike vaegir combos or nordic shield-walls Rhodoks can get really tricky.
    Last edited by Claudius Gothicus; November 07, 2014 at 02:33 PM.

Under the Patronage of
    Maximinus Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Gothicus View Post
    I haven't played "seriously" in a few years, but I'll have to go with Rhodok sharpshooters: the IA doesn't use them very well, but if you happen to find them entrenched in fortresses you are going to have a bad time, even in vanilla you can take some significant field casualties if you happen to run into a Rhodokian leader that has massed elite units. In large multiplayer events (plus 50 per side) with organized and pre setted sides, not those team-deathmatch kill-fests, Rhodokian teams that follow simple commands, mass sharpshooters and avoid basic flanking manoeuvres can rush well positioned archers by simply walking with their shields up and, at the same time, fending off infantry. I've even seen all-foot rhodoks hold their ground while surrounded by Horse archers, these are some resilient troops, unlike vaegir combos or nordic shield-walls Rhodoks can get really tricky.
    Yes, but that is all because they can melee well, which has little to do with their range skill.

Range wise Khergit is really the king of that area, largely because the ridiculous accuracy with highest fire rate within the game.
    Last edited by hellheaven1987; November 07, 2014 at 04:37 PM.

As archery, Khergits have no equal IMHO. Their archers have really good accuracy. Winnin battles with full of Khergit Veteran Horse Archer army is really easy and fun and fighting against them -if you play at hardest difficulty- is almost impossible. Either an elite or even random horse archer manage to kill you, maybe even in one shot. And your army lose since they can't do anything without you.

But if we add Rhodok crossbows, those guys are insane if you make them fight in line. None get close to them.

Protector Domesticus

I tend to use Vaegir Marksman, a solid block of those tend to rip apart any Inf Based Armys, have some problem against mass cav charges though.