Thread: So all these are amazing but....

ComnenusTheOne's Avatar Primicerius

Default So all these are amazing but....

....how do i spread my culture around? Are there specific buildings i have to have in a settlement? Do i have to keep generals in cities, do i have to keep an army or something? Is it different from faction to faction? I am fairly sure that it is a long-term procedure, but having, after 100 turns, to still keep 8-9 units as garrison, so that a settlement won't rebel due to cultural differences, it is something. So, how do i do it?

Default Re: So all these are amazing but....

It really depends on faction so if you would like a more specific reply you need to post a more specific question. Generally the most important factor in changing culture are buildings. The "Strategy" section of building descriptions usually contain enough information on that effect.

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Look at the different government building types you have for whatever faction it is. One chain will (or should) indicate that it has a positive cultural influence, slowy changing over to yours. Even if its not what you want there, you might be better off building that first, waiting a decade, then switching its government type (by dismantling that building and spending money on the other).

Related note --- This is a good place to add the engine's "priest" agent into the game, I'm surprised they're not there already to add even more depth and activity to the campaign. Rather than a religious figure, I imagined they would be re-thought as a kind of agent of (cultural) change. Influential figures who may not be generals or sons of the king, but nevertheless affecting history by means of their own. Men like this would be valuable assets to an empire, even though they don't command a treasury or a levy. Expensive and slow-drip, but useful to augment infrastructure in areas where it's needed.

It's much preferable to giving these traits to a family member, not only does the engine already allow for them, but it's better representative of the kinds of influencers and their retinues who really shape cultural movements (kings and armies can set the stage but they don't live among the people and actually change their minds/ways).

Technically, and that might be my mistake, i didn't notice any cultural influences in the buildings. I am playing as Sarmatians right now, 150 turns in, i've taken quite a few areas without Steppe Nomadism specifically (the city in Crimea that has Hellenic culture), though there is no change at all in cultures. It had 40% Hellenic culture when i took the settlement, it still has it now. So what exactly do i do? I have to check out which buildings i've built in the settlement as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ComnenusTheOne View Post
    Technically, and that might be my mistake, i didn't notice any cultural influences in the buildings. I am playing as Sarmatians right now, 150 turns in, i've taken quite a few areas without Steppe Nomadism specifically (the city in Crimea that has Hellenic culture), though there is no change at all in cultures. It had 40% Hellenic culture when i took the settlement, it still has it now. So what exactly do i do? I have to check out which buildings i've built in the settlement as well.
    Sarmatian has to reform before being able to build cultural buildings.

If I remember correctly, you have to create 5 occupation governement (Occupation and oppression if I remember correctly, meaning : you don't build your own governement but the gov that let the province a little bit autonomous) on cities and those cities must have at least a level of wall (I don't remember exactly)

I don't remember a lot as you can see, but a reform thread is on this forum. Find it and do the reform and you'll be able to have cultural buildings.

Ah, so THAT'S why. Well, its "occupation and tax extortion" and get the highest level of wooden palisade, if i recall correctly.... probably in the next 200 turns. In the mean time, i will just hit "end turn", since everyone around me is allied to me and i REALLY REALLY REALLY don't have the manpower to face another war. Still, thanks for the help.