Thread: It's about time we get a systematic rape option after capturing settlements. (Ethnogenesis)

The Bold Burgundian's Avatar Ducenarius

Default It's about time we get a systematic rape option after capturing settlements. (Ethnogenesis)

Before you throw your pony plush toys at me hear me out.

The period of Total War: ATTILA is a tumultuous one, there is no doubting its negative effects on the society of that era as a whole. Massive migrations and widespread famine and disease only serve to highlight the horrendous and world shaping forces that ran amok europe. The Total War franchise has long had this facet of ancient warfare and society missing, ancient armies would do more than just 'pillage' the cities they conquered, as CA would like to have us believe. They did not just steal pigs and gold coins, they raped their populations. This had long lasting effect, known today as Ethnogenesis. Overtime this process changed the genealogies and demographics of the ancient world. This was a major element of the time, the most notable examples of these gradual shifts is among the franks and in gaul. Over time and near the fall of the western empire, there was very little distinction between true 'italian' ancestral romans and those who were descended from gallic roman subjects and then citizens.
    T.W.C.
    Total War Cynics

Default Re: It's about time we get a systematic rape option after capturing settlements. (Ethnogenesis)

Well that is certainly a bold proposal.

Default Re: It's about time we get a systematic rape option after capturing settlements. (Ethnogenesis)

I wonder if they represent this with the cultural shift mechanic. Does the culture shift more quickly if you sack a city?

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

This will not happen. Much like how Paradox avoids any mention of genocide and the Holocaust in its games, anything pertaining rape will of course not be mentioned by CA. Not if they want a teen rating.

I don't see your point? You ask for a new gameplay feature? Because it seems for me that when you choose "pillage" it's moderate kills, rape and stealing, were "destroy" is raping and killing.

And for the franks, as they conquer, they did not rape a lot, they mix themselves with the gallo roman population, but they were so fiew so the gallo-roman population maintain it's culture and that now France is a Latin and not German country...

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

The Franks didn't settle in France, they settled in the Netherlands and along the Rhine which does speak German still...
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Modestus's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    On a ship in the middle of the Mediterranean.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bold Burgundian View Post
    Before you throw your pony plush toys at me hear me out.

The period of Total War: ATTILA is a tumultuous one, there is no doubting its negative effects on the society of that era as a whole. Massive migrations and widespread famine and disease only serve to highlight the horrendous and world shaping forces that ran amok europe. The Total War franchise has long had this facet of ancient warfare and society missing, ancient armies would do more than just 'pillage' the cities they conquered, as CA would like to have us believe. They did not just steal pigs and gold coins, they raped their populations. This had long lasting effect, known today as Ethnogenesis. Overtime this process changed the genealogies and demographics of the ancient world. This was a major element of the time, the most notable examples of these gradual shifts is among the franks and in gaul. Over time and near the fall of the western empire, there was very little distinction between true 'italian' ancestral romans and those who were descended from gallic roman subjects and then citizens.
    Hmm there must have been a lot of raping going on to alter the gene pool is this a fantasy of yours?

I must admit I never read or came across anything about rape being a factor in altering a race you would imagine that the ratio of births caused by rape compared to births caused by the normal interaction between two people would be far less.

Oddly you mentioned two likely candidates and that is migration and disease both of which would have a much greater impact then a Huns pecker.
    Last edited by Modestus; October 18, 2014 at 03:11 AM.

Captain Arrrgh!'s Avatar I'z in yer grass

The OP is correct on both his understanding of history and Ethnogenesis. Those who are attempting to 'correct' him have no idea of what he is posting about, or history.

Rape won't be brought up specifically for two reasons. One is because, well, it's rape, and two is because 'pillaging' a city is generally understood to include rape. Historically, the term 'rape and pillage' is used, also known as 'crying havoc'.

TW games are PG-13, so implementing this feature is out of the question. Therefore, discussing about this on TWC (which is PG-13 site as well) is not an option.

Closed.