Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ultimate General: Gettysburg is finally... released!

Default Re: Ultimate General: Gettysburg is finally... released!

Just got my first Epic Victory, it feels great.
    Cattle die, kindred die,
    Every man is mortal:
    But the good name never dies
    Of one who has done well

Havamal 76

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

BKnight, with which side?
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Best game I've played for eons, AI are lightyears ahead of CA's offering

Thank you for the continued positive feedback. The game will have a good patch in November 1-7 with more Multiplayer maps, many fixes for bugs and inconsistencies you reported and some minor new features. You really help us to make the game better with your participation in the forums.

Going to get this right away!
    Roland searched the continent for the man who'd done him in
    He found him in Mombasa in a barroom drinking gin
    Roland aimed his Thompson gun. He didn't say a word
    But he blew Van Owen's body from there to Johannesburg
    - Warren Zevon - Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner - 1978

[G-Shock]'s Avatar Semisalis

Had I known about this game and your personal involvement, Darth, I would have volounteered for the Beta. There's no game out I haven't been a Beta as far as the american Civil War (and not only) is involved.

I have asked a few questions in a youtube gameplay video I wish to re-type here for answers (anyone who has the game can answer).

1) Can a general be killed?
    2) Is ammo unlimited?
    3) Is fatigue factored in the morale?
    4) Is there a way to use/not use roads?
    5) Do troops surrender?
    6) Can batteries be captured?
    7) Can you wheel units?
    8) Can you pick individual targets for individual units?

Ah of course if you need a pro beta, just send me a PM.
    Last edited by [G-Shock]; October 28, 2014 at 11:37 AM.

Hi G-Shock,

Will answer to your questions.

1) Can a general be killed?
    No, General is not a fighting unit. We wanted to simulate Generals to be killed and injured by not direct fighting but this feature has been postponed due to release deadlines.
    2) Is ammo unlimited?
    Ammo is not factored directly but indirectly with a parameter "Condition" which takes into consideration also fatigue. Units unsupported away from the General will have reduced firepower and reload.
    3) Is fatigue factored in the morale?
    Yes fatigue affects negative the morale
    4) Is there a way to use/not use roads?
    Roads just make your units move faster but units do not attach to roads. Usually units that walk in open areas that include roads have just increased mobility comparing to forest areas.
    5) Do troops surrender?
    No this mechanic has not been implemented. You just inflict more casualties to enemies if you trap them while retreating.
    6) Can batteries be captured?
    This mechanic also was not implemented.
    7) Can you wheel units?
    You rotate units with middle mouse button or Tab Key.
    8) Can you pick individual targets for individual units?
    Yes manual targeting is possible with left click.

Thanks for your offer. Will remember it.

Just bought the game this afternoon, had a couple of good battles brilliant AI, a real challenge ! I wish Darth and all the team every success, this game has lots of possibilites for lots of different era's would love to see a big Napoleonic battle in the future Borodino or Liepzig, any way back to the American civil war.. Darth and the team have listened to feedback, acted on it where it can improve the game, and knows the value of customer feed back. Other developers take note. Brilliant game.

Thanks, Dart.

I hope you'll implement the parts I mentioned because they were extremely important issues during the ACW, you need that in view of possible DLCs.
    If you build a sturdy engine... well you know... you can use it for the hundreds of battles fought in the CW and not just in Gburg. I hope I'll be allowed to help you.

Putting pepper on my debit card tomorrow for this purchase.

You earned it 10 times over.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefankollers View Post
    Just bought the game this afternoon, had a couple of good battles brilliant AI, a real challenge ! I wish Darth and all the team every success, this game has lots of possibilites for lots of different era's would love to see a big Napoleonic battle in the future Borodino or Liepzig, any way back to the American civil war.. Darth and the team have listened to feedback, acted on it where it can improve the game, and knows the value of customer feed back. Other developers take note. Brilliant game.
    Good to know that you like. Eager to release the new patch that will make the game even better.

Quote Originally Posted by [G-Shock] View Post
    Thanks, Dart.

I hope you'll implement the parts I mentioned because they were extremely important issues during the ACW, you need that in view of possible DLCs.
    If you build a sturdy engine... well you know... you can use it for the hundreds of battles fought in the CW and not just in Gburg. I hope I'll be allowed to help you.

Putting pepper on my debit card tomorrow for this purchase.

You earned it 10 times over.
    Thanks G-Shock for your support and feedback. The game could have more features in release but then, it would make the release to delay even longer which is always an issue in game development.

Concept-wise, new features, in most cases, call for DLC and that is money that, in turn, also supports development... all in due time, the game is just out, it's time to polish now.
    New units, new battles, new music, new concepts and of course the multiplayer.

I like the idea of having couriers and supply carts but most importantly to develop a system of communication that allows multiple players per side. None of these players (including the Army Commander) can win the battle by himself so they'd have to rely on courier messages to take orders from the boss.

Figure a 6 vs 6 battle where 2 control the army commanders and tell their subordinate 4 (who control a core each) what to do. These 4 can't send messages to their peers so if they need help, they've got to send a courier to the boss who must also send a courier to dispatch this help.

Hey that makes a hell of a realistic 12 player battle.

Of all the possible features, the couriers and supply carts are the most important but as I Said, in due time.

great game..some i wish is(if its possible) :

1)that can Rotate cam 360*,not with only side,i like rotate cam,so my army front up instead for just only side.
    2)more zoom in.
    3) time more long than that now is too short and need a setting to Slow/fast.
    4) a very big map whitout change (mission map/battle) late. like sid meiers Gettybury,that have a very big map with a pretty long time and all army join in.
    5)unit a bit more large look. that now is a bit tiny.
    6) a mini map that popup with click a key.

i love sid meiers gettybury..but its too old and now came a new Ultimate General Gettysburg..its wonderfuly
    Last edited by Baxon7; November 01, 2014 at 03:34 AM.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

I think rotation and zoom would be a great addition to the game so that the player may actually SEE what his troops can see from a 3d view (that helps a lot with LOS for arty).
    The rest is possibly moddable, the mini map is also a good idea.

I am very tempted to buy your game, but as a student I have to see if my money are enough for the month out.

Looks awesome!
    "See that they are well supplied with beverages, with their drink avidity satisfied by giving them as much beverages they want. Then they will easily get defeated by their lust of yeast as by roman arms" Tacitus, Germania 23

leoni's Avatar Campidoctor

i really would like to play this game, and to see a further dev. to a campaign....but i need to know, will there be a way to get this game, without the usage of steam?
    thumbs up for your great work here...will follow the future progress...

Game yesterday has just been patched to 1.01 and several glitches were fixed.
    For what it costs, I think it's worth a shot. It's relatively simple to master and with a very easy learning curve but it's quite challenging to actually win a battle so it's fun even if you're not a history fan of the period.

Don't know about other distributors, by now 90% of the games are steam-based.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123