Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate General: Gettysburg is finally... released!

Default Re: Ultimate General: Gettysburg is finally... released!

Quote Originally Posted by Original Gangster View Post
    The elevation map is not enough for me. I'd prefer different colors maybe or more numbers to indicate height.
    It's an elevation map....why do you need colors to indicate height when you have height to indicate height?

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Chickamauga next please!

Deeply disappointed to hear that the next release will most likely be even more American Civil War. I was hoping for a battle from a different conflict - and hopefully not one of the other tired and overused ones.

The world doesn't need more ing Antietams and Waterloos.
    CA needs competition.

Read and watched a lot about gameplay, it sounds awesome. I will definetly buy this and spend hours on it for sure. Dixie forever!

Now if you manage to setup a complex campaign map that display battles in that very gameplay, perhaps with less sequences due to the amount of work, well such a game would be so awesome, although you'll have to sacrifice a lot of the historical reconstitution component.
    Last edited by Manu La Canette; October 20, 2014 at 10:00 AM.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by InferiorBeing View Post
    Deeply disappointed to hear that the next release will most likely be even more American Civil War.
    Where did you hear that?
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

I spent the whole day yesterday (like playing-for-12-hours-straight the-whole-day) playing the game, because I just couldn't quit.
    At first I was afraid I wouldn't immerse in the game, because of the graphic and because I'm not particularly a fan of the era, but like 2 seconds after I started the campaign I was right in the game, a 100% focused a 100% immersed.
    I like how there is a little tutorial and then you just outright start with the campaign. The control feels very intuitive and is easy to learn, yet it suits the gameplay and lets you perform even sophisicated maneuvers with ease.

The fact that you draw on the map (which in this case literally is a map) fits very well to the overall style of the game; in general the overall graphic presentation is as if made from one piece - the special graphic effect, which you can turn on adds a really unique visual flavor, although I turned it off, since I feel, that it makes things a bit harder to spot. The other thing that's hard to spot is the height of different features on the map: there is an elevation map option, which is exactly that: a topographical map feature, in which different lines are indicating different height levels. On the highest point of a hill f.e. there is a tiny number stating the height of the highest point of that hill. The only problem with this is, that when you are hardly pressed and need to manage multiple spots of engagements, you cannot search for the number, so that you are able to see which hill is the highest and therefore the best position to deploy your artillery. That's why I
    need colors to indicate height when you have height to indicate height?
    Now, I understand that from a design perspective the elevation map fits very well, but why not have an extra option, which makes things more clear; an other issue I have with the accessibility of information is the field of view of the units. The uncertainty of how high the terrain is leads to problems with the field of view, which is pretty clear with infantry units, because theirs is limited anyways, but it's sometimes hard to see where the artillery can fire and where not. The units field of view is indicated by greying out the invisible areas, when you click on that unit, but I had the impression that my artillery was firing at units which were in the greyed out area, which shouldn't be possible. Sometimes I just don't know what is blocking the units view and I think: maybe it's the trees ... if that's the case then the other artillery unit, which sits in the trees even more shouldn't see anything, but it does...
    I'm not saying that it really hinders the immersion and fun I have while playing and I understand the decision not to make those two things (the deployment of artillery and the field of view system) more visible, because it would destroy the map-like graphic, but since it is such a vital part of the gameplay, I feel that an extra option to better and quicker get those information could make the game even more accessible and even more fun to play.

The AI is really great and there is a real difference between those from which you can choose, which makes playing the campaign a whole new experience, if you try it with different ones.

The overall concept is amazing, I think, that one can clearly see, what the game wants and what it's about: exciting challenging battles and immersion - the battles are really what I imagine those battles could have been, and you really get a sense of accomplishment if you break through enemy lines and get this epic feeling, which made me love the Total War Series.
    The appealing thing is, that's easy, accessible, but very complex.

One issue I see in that, is that it might just not be enough to keep me playing over a longer period of time. Now I see that, it's maybe not the scope of the project at that time, but I would like to keep on playing. So I love how you can just hop in to Multiplayer, but why not have a lobby just like in Rome:TotalWar. More Multiplayer Scenarios are badly needed, if you want player to continue playing. What about a scenario-editor, in which fans could create new scenarios, which could then be used to be played. What about a proper ranking system or a ladder like mode, where you are forced to play a random scenario. I'm just brainstorming and don't know much of the implementations of such ideas, but it would add to the play-again-factor.
    Other tactical options would also contribute to that goal, although I don't know if it would suit the brand, since you probably don't want to make this kind of game too complicated. But I'm thinking: some more unit types, maybe a burrow-like option for infantry (entrechments) or ability of sharpshooters to shoot officers, which could give a morale loss - something along those lines. I see the overall battle gameplay structure working for a couple of other scenarios (a more sophisticated version even for WWI, or WWII).

Anyways I love the game and would like some more of it in that or an other form in the future;

empr guy's Avatar Praefectus

I think there is something wrong with artillery anyway, because mine really love to not shoot at the people right in front of them that shoot a volley and then charge in and route them. On one hand thats really annoying but on the other hand the AI can't just sit 5 artillery units on top of each other and be able to rout your entire army if you get too close.

Overall I do like the changes, idk what version I played first but the new briefing maps, unit statistics, and elevation lines among other things are all great.
    odi et amo quare id faciam fortasse requiris / nescio sed fieri sentio et excrucior

Quote Originally Posted by Švejk View Post
    Now make the next one!
    nice avatar and profile name .))

on the topic: bought the game for seven pounds three weeks ago and it was good investment..gj there

I wish there was a 3D map. Even with the overlay\effects I still find it hard to distinguish the lay of the land.
    I do think it is amazing that you created this though Darth.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

kamikazee786's Avatar Senator

love it, i just feel that the LOS system is in need of a little work.

In every battle so far i have had to maneuver my units when they really really should be able to fire at the enemy from their current position.

Cannons aren't firing very well either but the game is extremely addictive, its great and quite a few of my friends have purchased it aswell.

Well done darth
    If you work to earn a living, why then do you work yourself to death?

Thank you for the very positive feedback. There is going to be a next patch with improvements.
    New multiplayer maps and some inconsistencies fixed regarding melee and artillery targeting which some times does not fire while it should.
    Please continue to write your criticism and opinions because it helps.

Sketchik's Avatar Libertus

I havn't bought it yet but I am definetely going to give it a try sonner or later. Great art style by the way (seems to be a good balance between coolness and performance). I agree that a grand campaign would make a lot of sense (if it was stylised too it would surely open up new roads to places total war could or would never go) and there are defenetely a lot more cool settings I can imagine!

Tired of TWC Arrogance

So the price went UP - after hundreds here made the game what it is? For free? For the support of the game and DV? Or have I missed something? If not, that's shite.

empr guy's Avatar Praefectus

the people who provided the feed back/gave support already own the game and don't pay the higher price
    odi et amo quare id faciam fortasse requiris / nescio sed fieri sentio et excrucior

Early Access players just bought earlier at a lower price 10$. Now the price of the game is 15$ about 12 Euro.
    There is a lotterly for three game codes currently running in TWCenter.
    Maybe you will be interested to participate:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ysburg-Lottery

I don't know if it is somehow planned or anything but I would made several suggestions about eye-candy features:

I would love to see small graphical differences in the uniforms (say black hats for the Iron Brigade and so on). More designed UI (it's just great in its content, but it would be better with a nice texture work on it).

Also, as a Cossacks II player, I loved those small films (reenactments) played in a window down the screen when you're selecting a unit in an action. If you ordered a unit to charge then a small video would play down the screen displaying a bayonet charge, or guys reloading after a volley in-game and so on. You could use sequences from Gettysburg movie to add immersion I don't know, just a suggestion. What about that?

Lord of Lost Socks's Avatar Primicerius

My main issue so far seems to be the line of sight. I'm having problems when placing artillery, because sometimes they can't see the enemy so I try to move them somewhere, but without being able to tell where to place them so they can see without having them walk around all over makes it frustrating.

Or most likely I'm just bad.

“The human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.”

There is going to be a patch in about one week that will fix artillery targeting and other issues you report. So please share your feedback and we will address the most glaring problems.

wow looks awesome. Great job, thanks for notice.

“I am in fact, a hobbit in all but size”― J.R.R. Tolkien

Tired of TWC Arrogance

Quote Originally Posted by empr guy View Post
    the people who provided the feed back/gave support already own the game and don't pay the higher price
    I see. So if the client pays to finish the product, they can pay less. Make sense. Works for drug companies, arms manufacturers, politics, religion, so why not here. Got it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast