Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harrenhal, seat of house Lothston

Default Harrenhal, seat of house Lothston

Harrenhal, seat of house Lothston

Harrenhal is a huge castle, the largest one in all of Westeros, though it is also the most ill-omened. It is located on the northern shore of the Gods Eye lake at the heart of the Riverlands, south of the River Trident and northwest of King's Landing.
    It was built centuries earlier by King Harren the Black. He was betrayed by his bannermen during the War of Conquest and the castle was largely melted by dragonfire: while Harren had thought the castle's walls were tall enough to withstand any assault, he neglected to consider that the Targaryens' dragons could fly right over them. As a result Harrenhal is half-ruined, with stone towers melted and twisted by the flames of the dragons, giving it an ominous and nightmarish appearance. No lord has held the castle for long since Harren's death.

Aegon the Conqueror granted Harrenhal to his bannermen of House Qoherys, which eventually became extinct. They were followed by Houses Towers, Harroway, and Strong. All of them, like the Hoares and Qoherys before them, died out, leading to the castle of be considered a cursed place. Several tales are told of Harrenhal, including the tale of the flaming ghosts of Harren and his sons, and of servants who go to sleep and are found turned to ashes the following day.

House Lothston
    History
    House Lothston of Harrenhal
    We Will Maintain

​Known as cruel landlords, house Lothston rule their lands with an iron fist from their cursed seat, the castle of Harrenhal. They are a noble house from the Riverlands, who's origins are unknown, it is believed that they are from mixed iron-born and Riverland descent. They became landed knights under the rule of house Hoare's rule of the Riverlands. They revolted with the other Riverland lords against the Ironborn, when Aegon unleashed his dragons on Harrenhal. Finally, House Lothston rose to prominence in the conflict known as 'the dance of dragons', where they supported Aegon against Rhaenyra. In the aftermath, they gained the lordship of Harrenhal as a reward. Together with the castle, the new lord of Lothston was also given the last member of house Strong (one of the main supporters of Rhaenyra and previous lords of Harrenhal) as his wife, so nobody would challenge his rule. As a result House Lothston took as their new signal a bat, a symbol of their new seat of power and their motto became 'We Will Maintain', since many houses have held Harrenhal without success. As Harrenhal is the biggest castle of Westeros and rules over one of the most fertile regions in the kingdom, house Lothston is, dispite of their bad reputation, a powerful and influential house. They usually marry and befriend other powerful houses and remain close to their overlords. One of the mistresses of Aegon IV was Jeyne Lothston.

The last male head of House Lothston was Lucamore Lothston. His only living children are where two daughters, Danelle en Lynesse., by his second wife, who was half is age. ady Lothston however, was often called 'The only living ghost of Harrenhal.' As see was rarely seen outside her bedchamber, she always dresses in black and never leaves the castle. She was permanently in mourning of her dead infant sons. After her husband died, she left to join the Faith and is now a septa of the Crone.
    His first wife had given him a son, who was called Manfryd, nicknamed 'The black Hood' by their people. His son was not remembered fondly. And most outside the family where relieved to see him dead.

As the eldest surviving child, Danelle inherited the Castle of Harrenhall and its surrounding lands. Because her father would not trust a woman in charge, he gave her away in marriage, with Harrenhall as the dowry to the champion at the Tourney of Harrenhal.
    This tourney was won, off all the nobles and royals in the realm who competed for her hand by Edric Tully, who also happened to be Danelle's cousin as their mothers are sisters.

War loomed along the Riverlands and Harrenhal saw sieges come and go, and was even occupied by their enemies once. Because Danelle was pregnant most of the wartimes, she let herself be guided by her kinsmen and her husband. Thus she shared the dubious shame of switching loyalties with house Tully.

Danelle has given her Lord husband three children. In the Summer Sickness, her steward and cousin, Lucas Lothston died leaving a childless widow. His brother Manfred was made the protector of the Ruby Ford and now controls the Red Fork.

Characters

Danelle Lothston

Skills: 12: +3 Assassinate, +3 Wealth, +3 Capture, +3 Survival

War, fear and the curse of Harrenhal has made lady Lothstron a complex and strange woman. Growing ever more paranoid. Especially for the safety of her children. She is said to be a witch and an expert in poison. She especially distrusts all the Dragon off-spring and house Lannister.

Lynesse Lothston (aux)
    35 at the game's start.

Lynesse is the younger of Lucamore's daughters. She often follows Danelle around. She is said to be even scared of her own shadow. She dislikes her family home and is lost without a proper role model. She is a shy, introvert young girl who perhaps had more potential, had she not been born into house Lothston. She had grown up amidst wars and treason, and developed a awkward personality. She only blossomed when Blackfyre was crowned king and she was send to the capital to attract suitors. She had already had a history of broken marriage arrangements behind her when she caught the eye of Aemon Blackfyre and Orys Baratheon. Her sister quickly wed her off to Baratheon to keep her - and her family out of the Dragons claws.
    She found happiness in her marriage and is the mother of four, whom three survived their infancy.
    Family Tree

Lordship of Harrenhall
    Income
    Income
    60.000 a year.

Trade
    Trades Riverland Grain with:
    1. House Reyne for Gold (+10% Income)
    2. House Brakcen for Grain

Buildings
    Buildings
    Market Square: +10% income
    Militia Armoury: +250 Land Levy Points
    City Watch Quarters: 400 Light Infantry permanently stationed in your home territory. Cannot be moved elsewhere.

Regional Bonus
    Harrenhal's Bonus/Curse

• Immense Castle: Built by Harren the Black on an enormous scale and burnt by Aegon's dragons, Harrenhal is one of the largest castles in the Seven Kingdoms, and anyone with enough men to defend it properly will find it to be one of the strongest too. +4 to siege defense, rising to +6 if the defender has at least 10,000 men.
    • Harrenhall: Large castle - may garrison an additional 200% of the levy. Requires at least 1,000 men to defend or a -1 siege defense modifier is applied.
    • The Curse of Harrenhal: Harrenhal is notorious in that those who control the castle often meet horrific ends, ever since Harren was burned to death in his castle. Chance of death in death rolls increases +1.

Manpower

Manpower
    7,500 Points by base.
    Vassals

Vassals
    Shoreham - House Wode, Knights of Shoreham. (2,750 manpower points)
    Esgaroth - House Blanetree, Knights of Esgaroth. (1.000 manpower points)
    Vassals

Atranta - House Vance of Atranta. (2,750 manpower points)
    Willow Wood - House Ryger of Willow Wood. (2,750 manpower points)
    Goodsbrook - House Goodbrook of Goodsbrook. (2,750 manpower points)
    Last edited by Alexandrine; November 02, 2014 at 09:26 AM.

Iron Aquilifer's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Harrenhal, seat of house Lothston

A band of riders approach Harrenhal, bearing the brown Steed of Bracken on their banners.

The riders were welcomed into the castle grounds. There they where met by the Lady of the castle. "Goodday sers." she welcomes them. "Welcome to Harrenhall."

"My name is Duncan Torrent, a knight sworn to Lord Otho Bracken. He has sent me to inquire in to the possibility that our two houses will become greater friends. We have both seen our lands raided, and Lord Otho believes that only through a strong sense of unity will we be able to effectively defend against such acts again."

"Welcome, ser Ducan." she nodded. "Lord Otho is a sensible man. I too believe that in unity lays strength. We have seen in the past that things can go wrong when we do not work together. Does he believe that we are both attacked by the same band?"

Duncan offered an apologetic shake of his head.

"My lord Bracken believes that it was Blackwood men who ravaged his lands. If they were the same band as the one who struck at your own lands, then it would stand to reason that Lord Blackwood is attempting to seek revenge for the justice dealt to his father."

Duncan paused to reveal a document.

"However, Lord Otho is open to the belief that his former ward is focussing his attention against Stone Hedge, and thus meaning that you were struck by another band of savages. In this event, Lord Bracken wants to ensure that future attacks are dealt with swiftly and surely. To this end, he hopes to see to it that trade follows within the riverlands, to give us the mutual wealth to seek the creation of better defensive measures."

She nodds again. "Very well; lets make our lands rich and plentiful. I am sorry to hear about Blackwood; it seems he shares his traitor fathers blood indeed. Such a shame. His mother came from better stock I've heard." Danelle takes the document and signs it. "I will have one request in return for lord Otho. I feel I have spoiled my son Whent too much. And in that I have wronged him, he is a little old, yet he is still to squire for a knight before he can become a knight himself one day. I want lord Otho or ser Edmure to take on my boy as his squire, and let it be a symbol of friendship between our houses. I cannot teach him the ways of a proud Riverland Man."

Duncan smiled.

"I am most happy that we could sign this agreement. If your son wishes to serve Lord Otho, to become a proud riverlander, loyal and true, then I assure you that none other than Lord Tully himself could be better than Otho."

"Then it is arranged." she simply said, and looked happily. "If any bandits come and raid your lands again, let us know, so we can help each other out. I will do the same. My boy will happily serve Lord Othor. And with Edric as his father, I am guaranteed that he will turn out as a fine man. I shall send for him, a few days from now so he can say his goodbyes."

The knight bowed his head.

"Then it shall be, my lady."

With that, the Bracken knights left, riding with the shadow of the great castle looming behind them.

Lady Lothstone's forces are requested to meet at Riverrun, as Lord Tully has found out evidence of at least one of the Riverlanders' Houses being involved into the raids of the last year.
    In a letter he mentions that it has been proven that the Brackens were involved into at least one of the raids, who had happened.

Lady Danelle was already sorry that she had said that her little boy could become a squire. With the letter in her hands that Bracken too was raiding the small folk. But she had decided to let her husband take control of this horrid business. He was lord paramount, she was not. Besides, like every other time it seems, that she had need of controlling an army, she had discovered that she was with child again.

It was a little surprise that it actually worked.. she was forty and three now. Her youngest child was sixteen. The little one would be around the same age as her grandchildren.. she shook her head. Was this even wise? But no time for this nonsense. She had to cope with it now. She kissed her boy on his cheek and send him out to the riders who were already waiting for the lad on the courtyard. She watched the men depart Harrenhal.

Oh, they grew-up so fast..

Birds returned to the pregnant lady with messages that two of her vassals failed to her call to raise their banners. She was outraged. Slamming a cup of wine to the ground.

She burned the messages, with birds and all. She would have her revenge.

With all of her kin away, Danelle Lothston gave birth to a baby boy. She nursed it with love. Now she had someone to love again. Nobody else mattered..

- As a response to Lady Danelle Lothson,

it flatters me to know you have such a view of your humble neighbor. Stable borders is somewhat a rare occurrence indeed, and the Pipers hold utmost respect for both the Lothson and Tullys.
    In light of that, and in hopes to maintain our friendly relations, I, Flement Piper, accept your offer. I shall take Whent Tully as my squire, and train him to the best of my abilities.

The gates of Pinkmaiden are open for both you and your family, and I look forward for your boy's arrival.

Sincerely,
    Flement Piper, High Lord of Acorn's Ridge, Lord of Pinkmaiden.

Deciding to pay his mother a visit, Ser Daryn Tully rode with a patrol to Harrenhall, requesting an audience with his lady mother.

He was immediately given entrance and found his mother in her bedchamber, combing her hair, while wearing a simple gown.

He bowed actually in front of her, though he didn't need to.
    "My Lady mother", he said respectfully, but glad towards her, "I have read your letter and decided that it is a long time we haven't seen. How are things going so far at Harrenhall?"

She turned to him, her hands folded in her lap. "Grave, my boy. Things are not as they should be."

He raised his eyebrow curious upon mentioning.
    "What happened?", the Lord of Riverrun asked curious, "Another raid?"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast