Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total War: ATTILA - Developer Blog #1

CraigTW's Avatar Ducenarius

CA Developer Icon Total War: ATTILA - Developer Blog #1

Hey guys,

We've pulled together a blog giving you some insider insight into Total War: ATTILA, courtesy of writer Peter Stewart.

Just thought I'd drop by and share. Enjoy!

http://blogs.sega.com/totalwar/2014/...eloper-blog-1/

Craig

Default Re: Total War: ATTILA - Developer Blog #1

Well thanks for stopping by!

Time to check it out.

So that's how CA solves the terrible sieges of Rome2...introduce a mechanic where as a player you have to take the initiative and counter a siege before your settlement is doomed...

I guess though it does make sense to starve out a city rather than risk a lot of deaths assaulting it...

Wonder if the a.i will just actually use siege weapons at all now...does beg the question? Certainly no way am gonna risk buying Attila until this new mechanic has been tried and tested..

Quote Originally Posted by Totalheadache View Post
    So that's how CA solves the terrible sieges of Rome2...introduce a mechanic where as a player you have to take the initiative and counter a siege before your settlement is doomed...

I guess though it does make sense to starve out a city rather than risk a lot of deaths assaulting it...
    That's usually what it was though. Several attacks would be made but repulsed so the commander ends up going to a lengthy siege to starve them out.

Wonder if the a.i will just actually use siege weapons at all now...does beg the question? Certainly no way am gonna risk buying Attila until this new mechanic has been tried and tested..
    Well in my new campaign as Octavian Rome, the AI will wait a turn or two to get siege equipment and use it the next turn. My city, Nova Carthago, was assaulted by barbarians that took one turn to build siege towers and attacked next turn. They used all ladders and siege towers to capture the walls, throw my guys back, capture the gates, then moved in and systematically exterminated all of my garrison units. I gave them a fight but they won. Once a unit was on the wall the next units behind them used the same tower/ladder to support them.

Siege Escalation follows the logic of how an actual siege would progress, and helps to connect the Campaign gameplay and Battles in a more meaningful way. Put simply; the longer a siege continues without a battle on the campaign map, the more that the settlement itself will be destroyed when you finally get to pitched combat. Whilst you’re not actively battling during a siege, your siege weapons and sappers will still be weakening settlement over time, and the defenders will slowly be worn away and fail to maintain their defences. Walls will crumble, exposing weak points; houses will collapse and, in some cases, catch fire (as alluded to earlier).

Makes sense. Whenever you're sieging you see catapults and what not set up around the city so I suppose it's an evolution of the attrition factor that both sides suffer as turns go by. So in other words we can siege a city for 3-4 turns before assaulting in which case the defenses would be battered down.
    Last edited by nameless; October 15, 2014 at 02:58 PM.

The Useless Member's Avatar Primicerius

How often are these blogs going to be produced?

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

As seen above, the fire will spread to consume as much as it can. Fires can be present from the very beginning of the fight (more on that later), or can be started by flaming arrows or artillery shots. Buildings will burn, but so too will foliage. If you wish to see if an army is hiding in that nearby forest, do the sensible thing and burn the entire forest down.

Because remember – only YOU can prevent forest fires. Except you actually can’t.

So much for Vigiles even.
    Last edited by Maximinus Thrax; October 15, 2014 at 03:47 PM. Reason: not needed

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post

Makes sense. Whenever you're sieging you see catapults and what not set up around the city so I suppose it's an evolution of the attrition factor that both sides suffer as turns go by. So in other words we can siege a city for 3-4 turns before assaulting in which case the defenses would be battered down.
    Except it doesn't make sense because on the battlefield you don't actually have catapults. Siege escalation is just a mechanism to make the AI not have to actually use siege weapons. If you want me to believe that the walls of Constantinople will just collapse on account of random "sappers" then you're going to have a hard time, CA.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I read it. Comments:

The Western Roman Empire was not "bloated and corrupt." It had issues, but any nation does. Nothing it couldn't get over: the outlook was very good for the Western Empire right up until Carthage Fell on October 19th, 439. Then it was utterly and royally screwed.

The Eastern Roman Empire was certainly not fragile, they were a military superpower and economicaly stable. In 446 Theodosius II overhauled the Danube frontier to keep the Huns out, but Attila destroyed the Limitanei and then narrowly defeated two Roman field armies at the Battle of the River Utus in 446, and again on the Chersonesus near Callipolis in 447. He almost lost the battle of the River Utus, according to primary source accounts though.

The Huns did not migrate due to the "freezing climate." It was quite the opposite: they migrated because in 360 there was a megadrought on the central Asian plateau caused by the El Nino cycle. It happened again in 430 causing the Hepthaltite Hua to migrate, and a gain in 550 causing the Avars (a splinter of the Hepthaltites) to migrate into Europe. There was a recent study published last year using tree rings and ice cores that proved it scientifically.

Finally, Attila's hordes were not endless. E.A. Thompson correctly asserted "I doubt Attila could even feed 30,000 men." The reality is that the Huns only had about 10,000 horsemen, and that's a 1983 estimate without Katalin Szenske's recent study of the ability of the Hungarian plain to support horses in the late Roman period.

As for the gameplay mechanics, I don't at all see the point of razing a region: the Romans certainly didn't do it, it's not recorded in any historical work, and the Strategikon says its better to defend a city. The Barbarians didn't have any siege equipment and the Romans could usually outlast their food supplies.

Emperor Caesar's Avatar Ordinarius

I understand the complaints about things such as razing the towns and the siege attrition but not everyone is a historian. Although it may suck for those who know what is accurate and wish to see it changed, CA has to make the game marketable to a broader demographic. This game is supposed to be about survival so they need the Western and Eastern Empires to be struggling even if that isn't entirely true. They can't make it easy for the players to turn back the hordes. The Total War games have always been more about what is historically plausible rather than what is historically accurate. Fortunately, its nothing a good mod can't fix.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

The razing sounds awesome, but it all seems a bit vague if yar ask me :/

Maybe its to early for them to talk about the game?

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

can the developpers please just extend persia a little more to the east?
    DONT add more provinces! I dont care just get rid of that disgusting straight line coming from the north to the south... it looks like a modern state border in the mid west of good ol'USA.

please CA.... just please... every time I see the mini-map I just gag... please just make it curve a little and a little jagged here or there...
    Last edited by Toho; October 15, 2014 at 06:30 PM.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Adding more provinces in East Persia would also allow for the inclusion of the Chionite Huns (and Hepthaltite Hua).

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

your siege weapons and sappers
    We can dig under the walls again now ?
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Quote Originally Posted by ^OvO^ View Post
    We can dig under the walls again now ?
    Same thing I thought. I sure hope so!

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiðinn Veðr: Total War

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

the long winter is upon them, and the stark reality of desperate survival settles in as surely as the frost.
    I see what you did there.
    On topic, the dynamic fires sound like they will change the course of battles, I´m okay with that though.
    But the Siege escalation I will mod out and keep just the stages before the wall is damaged, Sappers shouldn´t be automatic and enemy attacks during the siege should be actual battles.
    The destroy settlement feature I´m not sure about, I like the idea but I think it´s overdone.

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    I read it. Comments:

The Western Roman Empire was not "bloated and corrupt." It had issues, but any nation does. Nothing it couldn't get over: the outlook was very good for the Western Empire right up until Carthage Fell on October 19th, 439. Then it was utterly and royally screwed.

The Eastern Roman Empire was certainly not fragile, they were a military superpower and economicaly stable. In 446 Theodosius II overhauled the Danube frontier to keep the Huns out, but Attila destroyed the Limitanei and then narrowly defeated two Roman field armies at the Battle of the River Utus in 446, and again on the Chersonesus near Callipolis in 447. He almost lost the battle of the River Utus, according to primary source accounts though.

The Huns did not migrate due to the "freezing climate." It was quite the opposite: they migrated because in 360 there was a megadrought on the central Asian plateau caused by the El Nino cycle. It happened again in 430 causing the Hepthaltite Hua to migrate, and a gain in 550 causing the Avars (a splinter of the Hepthaltites) to migrate into Europe. There was a recent study published last year using tree rings and ice cores that proved it scientifically.

Finally, Attila's hordes were not endless. E.A. Thompson correctly asserted "I doubt Attila could even feed 30,000 men." The reality is that the Huns only had about 10,000 horsemen, and that's a 1983 estimate without Katalin Szenske's recent study of the ability of the Hungarian plain to support horses in the late Roman period.

As for the gameplay mechanics, I don't at all see the point of razing a region: the Romans certainly didn't do it, it's not recorded in any historical work, and the Strategikon says its better to defend a city. The Barbarians didn't have any siege equipment and the Romans could usually outlast their food supplies.
    Totally agree

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Do the siege escalation needs the sieging army to have or build siege engines? It's fully automatic? If I want to capture a city intact, without damage by simply starving the population and forcing them to surrender/sally out, as it has been in all the past 8 total war tittles, is still possible?
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

I hope this raze function will be as OP as it sounds. I'm hoping that, say you're some Britannian faction, or you're on an island. In order to make sure no one s with you, you just raze ports everywhere. If you can't do that then that sucks.

Semisalis

I read it. Comments:

Hahaha great post.

Don't worry though, you can bet the unplayable Hun faction will be spawning stacks like the Mongols in M2TW, probably loaded with WW1 accurate fireball onagers.

I read it. Comments:

Lol MMFA, you just made the whole game sound ridiculous now. I myself personally would have to agree, I do not like these campaign mechanics from CA at all.
    炸鸡

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast