Default Pyke, Seat of the Seastone Chair & the Iron Islands

The estates of Castle Pyke:

Buildings

2) Town Watch 500 land levy, 5% cheaper mercs
    3) Trade hub: 20% income, 3rd route
    3) Whisper House -/+2 assassination & spying
    4) Military Port 4250 naval points, 25% cheaper naval mercs, 20% income

Welcome to Pyke

Clifftop Stronghold: With many of its towers standing on thin stacks in the sea, it is a miracle that so much of the castle of Pyke is still standing. A thick curtain wall surrounds the area of the castle which stands on the mainland, and the towers are connected by thin bridges, meaning that storming them is incredibly difficult, as many of the bridges are too small for two men to cross side by side. +3 to siege defense.
    Home of the Ironborn: Few of the Ironborn would say that any one of their islands is more important than the others, but to those from the mainland Pyke is the main island, as it is the home of the Lords Paramount, House Greyjoy. All characters get +10% pillage.
    Capitol of the Iron Born: Discount of 15% for all naval units. Grants an additional 2,000 naval points
    Ironborn Fleet: The Ironborn lords have access to a large amount of longships: 10% discount when buying ships.

Trade: 10,000
    1. Highgarden. Fruits. +600 Land Levy, +1 charisma rolls
    2. Harrenhal. Grain. +1,200 Land Levy
    3. Riverrun. Grain. +1,200 Land Levy

Edicts
    None yet

Host of Pyke:
    MILITARY

*All ships 50% speed increase

25% cheaper naval mercs
    5% cheaper mercs

PYKE'S LEVY

9000 Points army
    8750 points fleet

PROFESSIONAL TROOPS
    None yet

Last edited by Hengest; December 05, 2014 at 11:23 AM.

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Default Re: Pyke- seat of the Seastone Chair & the Iron Islands

House Greyjoy of Pyke, High Lords of Pyke and Saltcliffe, Lords Paramount of The Iron Islands

The story so far:
    Dagon is the son of Lord Euron. The Lord Euron who, under influence from the queen invaded the weakened north during the Blackfyre kinstrife. At the walls of Winterfell Euron and all his host was defeated, punished for his treachery by a Lord's sword that severed his hand he later died in a prison cell. Lord Harlaw, once his most trusted warrior saw Euron as weak and corruptible; but once made a prisoner himself he planned to take the Seastone Chair for clan Harlaw and so struck a deal with his captor Lord Dustin. Funded by the North, he returned to the Iron Isles and called a Kingsmoot where he tried to buy the clans. It worked, Harlaw was tentatively King of the Isles. Yet Dagon, Euron's son, still held the loyalty of the great lords and promised war on the turncoat that challenged him. Whilst "King Harren" rallied the men for war on the Greenlands, Dagon himself was converging on the Riverlands to take back the country that had been held by Harren the Black. Ironic, how history turns in names and banners. Harren Harlaw's rebellion undid all Dagon strove for, but in the end became the making of Dagon.

The following conflict against "the king" and his gold-bought men saw Dag victorious... in the Iron Way, but.... it required the might of the Reach forces and the deft -if aloof- hand of Ser Godric Lefford to consolidate that victory. And so the newly made Lord Dagon secured his paramouncy, and bent the knee to the Blackfyre claim not only strengthening the Greyjoy name once more but making a name for himself as a shrewd, dauntless and warlike leader. But he did not forget friend and foe, claim and cause.

During the spring sickness, Dagon saw the plague ravage the many tiny islands quickly and it threatened to undo the Kingdom of Salt and Rock, for the Ironborn were but few. Dagon called all those that were in contact with the disease to Lordsport where they would be taken care of. Once there, Dagon had the boats and ships in the harbour kept at anchor. The sick were gathered and stowed away and died by the hundreds off the shore, but isolated the disease quickly petered out among the Islands. Dagon had saved the Ironborn through ruthlessness. The smallfolk were unhappy but they respected his resolve. However, for over a year, the bodies and ships full of corpses clogged up Lordsport. Day after day, bloated dead would wash ashore. Flies and rats and savage eels swarmed and fed on the rotting carcasses, Lordsport and the island of Pyke became accursed, the markets fell into ruin, the fields turned barren and the wives left their crofts. To cleanse the land Dagon set ablaze to everything. True enough, the land was cleansed and slowly but surely people returned to blackened Pyke. Ironically, the rebuilding brought fresh business and newcomers to the capital from all over Westeros and beyond. It was almost as if Dagon had planned it, folk said. Grim but fair, they said, and so Dagon became known as the sea-cold.

A famous painting was made of Dagon for his fourtieth nameday, where the ruins of the town can be seen in the foreground where the lord stands on the piles of bones of the dead on the shore, in the background the villages are ablaze. Dagon had the larger than life painting placed in the town square of Lordsport, beneath the upturned keel of Lord Harlaw's longship, conquered and now used as a shelter for his own lasting monument.

Dagon Greyjoy the sea-cold
    (born 177 AL) 46yrs in 223AL
    11 pts

"Do not wake the kraken": 3 charisma (+1 charisma Riverlander grain)
    "Knows what Greenlanders want": 3 wealth
    "His men are everywhere": 3 spymaster
    "No one talks and lives": 2 Counterspy

He had a longsword named Seaborn, which he had reforged into a great hammer called Seaforged to symbolise his "reforging" of the Iron of his people.

Dagon's only trueborn son Quellon Broadbrim
    Born 198AL 25yrs in 223AL
    A good sailor, a good swordsman, a swashbuckler and scoundrel. Many things can be said of Quellon, and are said in many ports too. Already at a young age he has fathered children and made widows of women all over Westeros and Essos and beyond. Men hate him or want to be him, and women love him or want revenge for their broken hearts and maidenheads.
    7 pts
    The Black Captain: 3 naval battles
    Swashbuckler: 3 duels
    1 survival

Dagon's bastard son Harren Charredheart
    Born 197AL 26yrs in 223AL
    The bastard of Dagon and a golden-haired Westerlander girl, she died in childbirth and for a time, Harren was everyone's golden boy. Innocent and playful he was free to play all over Pyke, as the favourite bastard of the High Lord of the Isles. But during the purging of Pyke by fire after the plague, Dagon had let Harren run loose as was his want and sadly, Harren was caught unawares and became trapped in the town. His screams alerted locals but before he could be saved he was badly burned. The sense of abandonment and wretchedness turned him to evil pure and simple. He gained a sadistic and brutal reputation that only brought men to gather around him. A sinister and violent man, he prefers to sit in the saddle since his movements are hampered by scars. His face is so disfigured that he scalps and peels off the faces of his enemies and makes a mask of them, partly in mockery partly out of sheer sickness.
    7 pts
    Killer instinct: 2 battles
    Back from hell: 3 survival
    Born under a Black Sail: 2 naval

Ifer Damphair (Tristifer Greyjoy)
    Born 178AL 45yrs in 223AL

Brother of Lord Euron, he was raised to be a soldier, he was even knighted and served in the Order of the Queensguard. He received a severe armwound at the battle of Winterfell and sent from the field by Euron, close to death and feeling the betrayal of the queen who "sent them to the wolves" he left behind the life of arms to take on the kelp robes of the Drowned God. He knows well the ways of war and sees soldiery as part of the true way of the Old Faith.
    11 pts
    High priest: 3 charisma
    Lord of the waves: 3 naval
    Drowned Man: 3 survival
    Old soldier: 2 duel

Auxiliary characters: ages for 218AL
    Dagon was blessed with a daughter before Quellon, and then three daughters after that before his wife finally succombed to the Spring Sickness. She was accompanied into the afterlife by one of her daughters. Three remain to keep the House in order, they excel at management and are not easily frightened of men and their rough ways. The eldest of Dagon's legitimate children, Hretha is like a shepherd to the family, 21 years of age she has the good looks of youth inheriting her father's fair hair, no doubt thanks to the contributions of Westerlander captives in the family line, particularly women. Such a woman was Harren's mother, more a girl than woman, such a slender creature that she died giving birth to him.
    After Quellon came Helya and Qaela, who have now flowered at 18 and 16 respectively. Helya has the darker colouring of the Greyjoy cousins and Qaela is somewhat of a mix, her blossoming into womanhood may make something more of her, but as of now she is mousey and sullen. Helya enjoys riding and reading, Qaela has shown skills with the bow and knifethrowing, a very bad habit picked up from the burly men around the castle. Dagon once saw a man handing her an axe and had him whipped. She is quiet but sometimes she can really shine and smile, she resents her family and her life. Helya is the opposite, ruddy and robust everything us carefree and a joy to her, taking life's knocks with a shrug, sometimes she has the same charming air bordering on conceit that brother Quellon brandishes. Hretha is particularly proud of Helya. Hretha herself has taken on the role of mother and mistress of the House, she can act as a hostess as well if not better than any lady in the Greenlands despire the Iron Islands being of meagre means. She can ride and shoot for sport as all ladies should be able to but no one knows quite how skilled she is. She is seen often sewing or playing music... and as Ironborn must she is a damned good sailor.
    Last edited by Hengest; November 23, 2014 at 07:54 PM.

Default Re: Pyke, Seat of the Seastone Chair & the Iron Islands

A Riverlanders ship docked at the harbours of Pyke. Among the crewmembers was the knight Manfred Lothston. He owned a keep now and had to find ways to manage it. He head heard rumours that the Iron born where good trading partners, mostly, because nobody else traded with them. He thought it might be a good idea to consider them. So when he came to the Castle Pyke. He requested an audiance with the lord paramount.

Dagon recognised the banner on the ships pennant from afar. Trade was returning to the islands and he spent much of hus time in Lordsport overseeing the masons and builders restore and expand the commonwealth. He responded personally to the Riverlander's approach. "You are welcome, do you represent the Lothstons or are you here in personal business?" He beckoned that he follow the Lord from the harbour and to an inn on the rise up towards castle Pyke. The view was impressive and Dornish Red was proffered.

Quote Originally Posted by Hengest View Post
    Dagon recognised the banner on the ships pennant from afar. Trade was returning to the islands and he spent much of hus time in Lordsport overseeing the masons and builders restore and expand the commonwealth. He responded personally to the Riverlander's approach. "You are welcome, do you represent the Lothstons or are you here in personal business?" He beckoned that he follow the Lord from the harbour and to an inn on the rise up towards castle Pyke. The view was impressive and Dornish Red was proffered.
    Manfred bowed for the lord. "I am here on personal business. Though I am a Lothston myself. Manfred Lothston, the last male of my line." he spoke formal. "I have been rewarded with the a keep of my own. And bluntly; as it is known throughout the known world that your words are; We do not sow. You must know, that unlike you, my people do sow. And lots of it. I came to Pyke to offer you trade with my fine Riverlander grain."

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandrine View Post
    Manfred bowed for the lord. "I am here on personal business. Though I am a Lothston myself. Manfred Lothston, the last male of my line." he spoke formal. "I have been rewarded with the a keep of my own. And bluntly; as it is known throughout the known world that your words are; We do not sow. You must know, that unlike you, my people do sow. And lots of it. I came to Pyke to offer you trade with my fine Riverlander grain."
    "And you surmise rightly for I shall gladly take it." Dagon stirred in the Seastone Chair. "Dornish Red? Or perhaps northern mead? Or Reach cider?" He gestured to bowls of food and drink, brought in by his three daughters, one after the other, the eldest first- modest but at least enacting the customs of the Greenlands. "But you, heir of Lothston...honoured as we are to receive you here I know full well that our western iron is not so highly prized nor are we so easily approached, for our name in the Greenlands is ranked low."

He choose the Northen Mead. "Most men are fools, scared of their own shadows. But I am a child of Harrenhal; and outlived the curse of Harren the Black. I understand that fear is a useless emotion, wasted on men and only good for woman." He looked to Dragon's daughters. "Speaking of which; you have a fine collection here."

A carrack of Lannisport arrives. The banners show a Lion holding an anchor upon waves, the heraldry of Lannisport's governor. Tyrion Lannister requests an audience.

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Quote Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post
    A carrack of Lannisport arrives. The banners show a Lion holding an anchor upon waves, the heraldry of Lannisport's governor. Tyrion Lannister requests an audience.
    The horns resounded long in advance as the banners of the lion were spotted. Dagon dressed himself in armour and mounted his Island pony, his uncle the Damphair joined him on foot, holding the reins. Proudly they walked together from the castle down towards Lordsport where the retainers were gathering, fifty spearmen bedecked with black banners made a wall along the harbour. Dagon cleared his throat, "Will you say nothing, uncle Ifer?"

The Damphair stopped and turned to look at the great lord of the Isles. "Looking at the future is like waiting for the tide, you know it will come and you can guess when it comes, but how it comes... that is all in the waves and the wind." He returned face front and walked the horse on.

Dagon scowled, what the hell was that supposed to mean? The Drowned God had spoken through the Damphair, the future... the future...

Dagon did not dismount as he faced the Lannister men. "I am the Lord of the Isles.... you may speak before the sea and under the sky."

A little man, with clumsy steps, for he had a limp, landed. He was fair haired and sported a golden beard, his eyes were green, but still he was an imp. A large head, twisted limbs and broad waist. He wore the livery collar of the Lannisport governor and wore red and gold clothes.

"Lord Greyjoy of Pyke! Didn't expect such a welcome. A true honor to meet you, Lord Dagon"

The Imp was half the size of the Ironborn.

He choose the Northen Mead. "Most men are fools, scared of their own shadows. But I am a child of Harrenhal; and outlived the curse of Harren the Black. I understand that fear is a useless emotion, wasted on men and only good for woman." He looked to Dragon's daughters. "Speaking of which; you have a fine collection here."
    Dagon gave a sardonic smile. "Harren..." He did not finish the sentence. He watched Lothston regard his daughters. "Aye, three fair maidens have blessed my House this many a year." His heart was warmed to look upon them himself. "Ladies." He said softly, and they presented themselves each in turn to the Riverlander knight.
    The eldest Hretha was conscious of Greenlander custom and had taught the others likewise, alas she had missed the nuances. She was a lady and this man a knight, and therefore no curtsy was required to one of lower status. "Welcome to the Isles, Ser Lothston and to ancient Pyke. I hope you take back a good record of our House and folk when you return."
    Helya, blue-eyed and some years younger added "If my father allows we would be delighted to speak with you and learn more of your country for we have not travelled and have a great interest in the world beyond the Isles." Her eyes were brave but she had dimples that made her look sweet, rather than sharp, this only made her more surprising when she showed those sides of herself.
    Skinny Qaela, the youngest sighed and said nothing at her curtsy. Helya gave her a hard look.
    Fairhaired Hretha distracted everyone by adding, "Ser I do very much enjoy horses but until father's trade with the Reach becomes fully enacted next year, I will not see a true Greenlander steed for a while yet. I would be very happy if you would allow me to see your mount before you leave." She gauged her father's expression, which told her that she was old enough to make her own decisions.

A little man, with clumsy steps, for he had a limp, landed. He was fair haired and sported a golden beard, his eyes were green, but still he was an imp. A large head, twisted limbs and broad waist. He wore the livery collar of the Lannisport governor and wore red and gold clothes.

"Lord Greyjoy of Pyke! Didn't expect such a welcome. A true honor to meet you, Lord Dagon"

The Imp was half the size of the Ironborn.
    Dagon trotted slowly and a little closer to the child. He was forced to look long and hard. He had not heard of a Lannister dwarf. He turned in the saddle to Ifer, who shrugged in response and tilted his head that Dagon should speak with the envoy. Dagon felt like this was some sort of joke, or a trick, sending a curt entertainer to impersonate and offend.

"I see clearly that you wear the heraldry of House Lannister but I am unsure of whom I address." It was almost painful to speak, he felt uncomfortable about this whole thing. Having a Lannister here was one thing but this was just distasteful.
    Last edited by Hengest; October 31, 2014 at 04:17 PM.

Dagon trotted slowly and a little closer to the child. He was forced to look long and hard. He had not heard of a Lannister dwarf. He turned in the saddle to Ifer, who shrugged in response and tilted his head that Dagon should speak with the envoy. Dagon felt like this was some sort of joke, or a trick, sending a curt entertainer to impersonate and offend.

"I see clearly that you wear the heraldry of House Lannister but I am unsure of whom I address." It was almost painful to speak, he felt uncomfortable about this whole thing. Having a Lannister here was one thing but this was just distasteful.

"I'm Tyrion Lannister, Lord Governor of Lannisport, cousin of Lord Tybolt Lannister, Warden of the West, Lord of Casterly Rock, Shield of Lannisport"

He coughs to clear his voice. His eyes are filled with irony and amusement.

"Don't let my size fool you, Lord Dagon, for I came on my Lord's behalf to renew the friendship between the West and the Islands"

Yes, those who won your Kingdom back, you squid.

He smiled gently.

Lord of Lannisport... I see.
    Dagon remained still in the saddle and let the dwarf's words ring out to silence. An uncomfortable silence. This was his land, he had all the time in the world. He breathed in the salt air, and watched the waves breaking behind the Lannister men, and saw how their ship bobbed on the tide. He looked up at the hovering and pitch of the seagulls.
    He spoke in a low voice so that only the little lord could hear. "You may bring five guards with you into the castle, the rest, yours and mine will remain here as they are."
    Dagon beckoned and a moor-horse was brought forth. "You may ride with me to the castle on one of our short rugged ponies, or walk beside me as I ride, or perhaps you have your own much larger Westerlander horse?" Dagon smiled.

Dagon gave a sardonic smile. "Harren..." He did not finish the sentence. He watched Lothston regard his daughters. "Aye, three fair maidens have blessed my House this many a year." His heart was warmed to look upon them himself. "Ladies." He said softly, and they presented themselves each in turn to the Riverlander knight.
    The eldest Hretha was conscious of Greenlander custom and had taught the others likewise, alas she had missed the nuances. She was a lady and this man a knight, and therefore no curtsy was required to one of lower status. "Welcome to the Isles, Ser Lothston and to ancient Pyke. I hope you take back a good record of our House and folk when you return."
    Helya, blue-eyed and some years younger added "If my father allows we would be delighted to speak with you and learn more of your country for we have not travelled and have a great interest in the world beyond the Isles." Her eyes were brave but she had dimples that made her look sweet, rather than sharp, this only made her more surprising when she showed those sides of herself.
    Skinny Qaela, the youngest sighed and said nothing at her curtsy. Helya gave her a hard look.
    Darkhaired Hretha distracted everyone by adding, "Ser I do very much enjoy horses but until father's trade with the Reach becomes fully enacted next year, I will not see a true Greenlander steed for a while yet. I would be very happy if you would allow me to see your mount before you leave." She gauged her father's expression, which told her that she was old enough to make her own decisions.
    "I will bring back many a tale to the Trident." Manfred said to the girls. "Not the least of them, my tales of the beauty of the daughters of house Greyjoy. The fairest among the Lord Paramount's daughters in the realm." The blonde intrigued him. "If your lord father would permit it; it would happily tell you about the Riverlands. It is a fair and lush region." The younger he thought to be a shy maid. But the elder began talking again, in a fair and pleasant manner. "Of course you may see my warhorse. He is a proud and graceful creature; just like yourself. You may even ride it, i'm sure you'll ride it well.."

"I will bring back many a tale to the Trident." Manfred said to the girls. "Not the least of them, my tales of the beauty of the daughters of house Greyjoy. The fairest among the Lord Paramount's daughters in the realm." The blonde intrigued him. "If your lord father would permit it; it would happily tell you about the Riverlands. It is a fair and lush region." The younger he thought to be a shy maid. But the elder began talking again, in a fair and pleasant manner. "Of course you may see my warhorse. He is a proud and graceful creature; just like yourself. You may even ride it, i'm sure you'll ride it well.."
    Lord Dagon intervened, they had fulfilled their roles aptly and for their first test of Greenlander lords it showed promise. "You do us great honour with your words, Ser Manfred. You may indeed spend some time with my daughters in turn upon the morrow." The girls smiled at each other. "But first as men we must talk." He gestured that the knight take his mead with him and follow the lord to a balcony overlooking the sea and the dark rocks below, the tower was high and the summer breeze was cool. "Do you offer trade and more than trade between our Houses? I should tell you that I seek knights to join me here in the Isles, to begin an order of warriors, I am offering titles and estates to those who prove their worth."
    Last edited by Hengest; October 28, 2014 at 02:07 PM.

Lord Dagon intervened, they had fulfilled their roles aptly and for their first test of Greenlander lords it showed promise. "You do us great honour with your words, Ser Manfred. You may indeed spend some time with my daughters in turn upon the morrow." The girls smiled at each other. "But first as men we must talk." He gestured that the knight take his mead with him and follow the lord to a balcony overlooking the sea and the dark rocks below, the tower was high and the summer breeze was cool. "Do you offer trade and more than trade between our Houses? I should tell you that I seek knights to join me here in the Isles, to begin an order of warriors, I am offering titles and estates to those who prove their worth."
    "I will offer you what I can give you, my lord." he said towards Dagon, as he came to like the Iron born. "I am blessed with a title and a estate by my cousins husband, lord Tully. So I am afraid I can be of little use towards you. Except of course.. if your titles are more worth than my sweet little Red Ford."

"I will offer you what I can give you, my lord." he said towards Dagon, as he came to like the Iron born. "I am blessed with a title and a estate by my cousins husband, lord Tully. So I am afraid I can be of little use towards you. Except of course.. if your titles are more worth than my sweet little Red Ford."
    "Very well. I would be happy to trade Riverland grain for our iron. Now as for estates and titles, estates are less rich in soil or goods than your homelands alas. But a title here is what you may make of it. If the king allows it, I will gather many knights from the Greenlands here to teach chivalry and the ways of knightly combat to my folk. I will need a leader for such men. There would be prestige for that man, marriage ties to a great House, and a fleet of your own ships that could sail up any river in your country just as my forefathers did when they conquered and ruled your land." Dagon raised his drink in salutation.

Lord of Lannisport... I see.
    Dagon remained still in the saddle and let the dwarf's words ring out to silence. An uncomfortable silence. This was his land, he had all the time in the world. He breathed in the salt air, and watched the waves breaking behind the Lannister men, and saw how their ship bobbed on the tide. He looked up at the hovering and pitch of the seagulls.
    He spoke in a low voice so that only the little lord could hear. "You may bring five guards with you into the castle, the rest, yours and mine will remain here as they are."
    Dagon beckoned and a moor-horse was brought forth. "You may ride with me to the castle on one of our short rugged ponies, or walk beside me as I ride, or perhaps you have your own much larger Westerlander horse?" Dagon smiled.
    "Bah, I don't need guards. You could kill me single-handely if you wished and there's nothing my guards could do"

He chuckled.

"And a dwarf-horse is the best ride for a dwarf Lord, doesn't it?"

Chuckles again.

"Bah, I don't need guards. You could kill me single-handely if you wished and there's nothing my guards could do"

He chuckled.

"And a dwarf-horse is the best ride for a dwarf Lord, doesn't it?"

Chuckles again.
    Dagon couldn't help but smile. Ifer the Damphair looked on with equal amusement. "So be it, Lord Tyrion, Master of Lannisport." Tyrion was offered the hand of an Ironborn to climb into the stirrups. Once saddled, Dagon, Ifer and Tyrion trotted up the stoney path to castle Pyke.

Ifer addressed him bluntly. "So are you here on behalf of your House, your country, or yourself?"

Dagon couldn't help but smile. Ifer the Damphair looked on with equal amusement. "So be it, Lord Tyrion, Master of Lannisport." Tyrion was offered the hand of an Ironborn to climb into the stirrups. Once saddled, Dagon, Ifer and Tyrion trotted up the stoney path to castle Pyke.

Ifer addressed him bluntly. "So are you here on behalf of your House, your country, or yourself?"

"I can admit I'm on behalf of both me and my Lord. If I can enjoy a whore this night I'd fulfill my mission, if I renew the friendship between the Islands and the West I'd fulfill my master's"

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast