Thread: I enjoy the Julli campaign here is how I have done my lastest one.

Default I enjoy the Julli campaign here is how I have done my lastest one.

I have been playing RTW on and off for years. I played the Darth Mod for a while but never got around to reinstalling it after I changed computers, so I play the basic game no mods other than to unlock the factions. In that time I have played just about all the factions some I enjoy playing and others not so much. With all the campaigns I have played I find myself being pulled to play the Julii again and again. I wanted to share with others how the campaign worked for me.

Now with my first few Julii campaigns I would charge north and go after the Gauls then looked at taking out the Germans, Spain and Brits(mostly because those where the people around me) but those games I get bogged down with lots of towns that just aren’t worth having. I always felt like that while I might have a lot of towns they just never really gave me the feeling of a truly powerful empire. So in my last game I decided to do something different.

My plan was to grab some of cities in Greece for the good income and put myself in a good starting spot for when the civil war started. Just as a rule for me I build trader, ports and markets in every town/city(in that order), after that I keep building toward the income and health buildings, once those are built I will start looking at barracks. I will set up a few cities as military builders, in these I keep the taxes at low, build the blacksmith, barracks, stables, and any other military buildings. I will keep making troops almost every turn and bring a force back to the city to retrain. With all the troops being pulled out of the city you need to taxes low so the population will grow.

I pushed north like the Senate wanted me to but I also grabbed the cities of Medoilanium and Patavium(these became my military cites) but knowing that Caralis was one of the target cites for Scipii I sent a small army to grab it first it give me a port close to Carthage. The senate was telling me to take Massilia and Narbo Martius which I did but that was mainly to keep them happy. My main push was east and I took Segestica, and Aquincum, where I saw that Salona was still in rebel hands so I took it also(I didn't know why the Brutii where going so slow but after looking at how the Scipii was pushing into Greece I think that was why). By this time I could see that Brutii and Scipii where grabbing the cities in Greece fast so I sent a force to grab Bylazora. At this point the Greek Cities and Macedon where gone. I took Bylazora because I wanted a large city to build up an army for when the civil war started; this gave me that base to strike quickly.

Back in the west the Senate keep pushing me to attack the Gauls and I used two armies to push thru and I took all their cities in France. Thru all of this I keep trade with Germans and Brits in hopes they wouldn’t force me to kill them also. I took Numantia a few turns after I grabbed Bylazora and this put me at around 16 territories. When I get to 25-30 territories the Senate will start asking for my death so I wanted to secure my bases and clean up any loose ends and building up the walls in the central cities so they could defend better once the civil war started. My first loose end was Spain they had been moving around Narbo Martius and Numantia with armies so I could tell it wouldn’t be long. The force that took Numantia I moved up to Asurica then to Scallabis taking both those cites. At the same time I moved a army out of Narbo Martius and took Osca and Carthago Nova. Then I had both armies meet at Corduba this secured my western half of my empire. I loaded up the best general and a full stack of troops and headed back to Rome. I stopped on the way at Palma and took it because it was there and I was already at war with Carthage, I never looked too much at Carthage because I assumed Scipii was dealing with them but I noticed that they had lost the city of Carthage so thinking that would be a huge money maker I moved that army down and grabbed Carthage out from under Scipii. This also gave me a nice base to attack from after the civil war.

This puts me at 25 territories so I feel sure the Senate will start to give me a lot of crap soon. I started building up two large armies and placing them in Arretium and Ariminum to protect against SPQR. In the next few turns I will keep moving forces to Italy and Greece planning on cutting the heart out of the Brutii and Scipii as quickly as I can by taking all the cities on Italy. At the same time pushing into Greece then into Sicily. If I can hit hard and quick it shouldn’t take more than 5-6 turns (pervaded the cities don’t have huge garrisons I will just attack and drive thru) to secure Italy and a few cities in Greece. That should give me the income to keep to build enough armies to defend from multiple fronts. Until the civil war starts I might go play with Numidia. That would keep my western side a little more secure as I feel sure they will attack Carthage if I give them a chance. Should be finishing up the campaign this weekend so I will update you guys on how close I can keep to my plan.

Aymer de Valence's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: I enjoy the Julli campaign here is how I have done my lastest one.

Next
    Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!

Default Re: I enjoy the Julli campaign here is how I have done my lastest one.

Well having a hard time starting the civil war. I have 30 territories and I have been ignoring the senates missions but nothing yet. I have also been lowering my tax rates so the cites are happier not sure if that will help kick the civil war off but worth a shot.

I have not been paying attention to Britannia but they have a nice little empire going on(16 territories) I have a allance with them for now but I don't see any reason to go pick a fight with them unless they start it.

I have noticed Brutii have 5-6 full army stacks in the area of Thessalonica and Apollina so they are building for something. I have moved a few more units to the area that is a lot of troops but not too worried I feel sure I can beat them on the battle field.

Really hoping the next few turns will pick up.