Thread: Anachronistic vanilla units.

Icon4 Anachronistic vanilla units.

Hi, great job on the mod !!

My only concern is this : With all the new historic units you guys introduced in the mod, will you get rid of those anachronistic vanilla unit ? I started a Licinius campaign yesterday and was stunned to see the number of vanilla units I and the AI was able to recruit. First of all the faction mercenaries of Licinius are hoplites and tarantine cavalry. Via auxillary barracks I could recuit vanilla style veteran legionaires and BC greek units. Why not remove completely those units from the game (I don't think there was a lot of hoplites in 4th century Greece) ?

With the awesome job you guys did with roman units, I think those should be the only available units. Of course some vanilla units must stay for factions that didn't get an overhaul (Sassanid, etc.), but hoplites and pikes ?

What do you guys think ? keep up the good work !

Default Re: Anachronistic vanilla units.

Yeah, as Armenia I had a rebellion in my newest conquest, Persia. The persian rebels used thorax pikemen and thueros spears, but the most terrifying sight was their lack of arms and legs.

Quote Originally Posted by leboboti0606 View Post
    With the awesome job you guys did with roman units, I think those should be the only available units. Of course some vanilla units must stay for factions that didn't get an overhaul (Sassanid, etc.), but hoplites and pikes ?
    Watch out, they have foot cataphracts, all of their cavalry is dismounted.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythion View Post
    Watch out, they have foot cataphracts, all of their cavalry is dismounted.
    Are you talking about the Sassanids ? They have no mounted units ? I thought they kept the Parthian roster for them..

The Sassanians have the Parthian roster for the moment, although they will be the next overhaul. If your units are missing mounts, then it is usually a mod conflict (Better Arrows Mod for example).

We haven't gotten to the mercs/aux overhaul yet. Right now we do have the Foederati as auxiliaries. However, once we finish the various other faction overhauls we will be using some of their new units to make the auxiliary and mercenary options match the timeframe. The idea is to first do all the core rosters for the playable factions then move out into the mercs/auxiliary systems/rebels.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    The Sassanians have the Parthian roster for the moment, although they will be the next overhaul. If your units are missing mounts, then it is usually a mod conflict (Better Arrows Mod for example).

We haven't gotten to the mercs/aux overhaul yet. Right now we do have the Foederati as auxiliaries. However, once we finish the various other faction overhauls we will be using some of their new units to make the auxiliary and mercenary options match the timeframe. The idea is to first do all the core rosters for the playable factions then move out into the mercs/auxiliary systems/rebels.
    Sounds good ! Thanks for the reply. I can't wait to see what you guys will come up with :p .

Why not just remove the really impossible units for the time frame (hoplites) before completely overhauling the mercs / auxillaries system ?

It's harder to remove mercenaries than it is to replace them. Removing them would require we go into the guts of the campaign file and it's fairly tedious. We'll see if we can't try and get rid of the worst of the anachronistic mercenaries for the next big release.
    Last edited by Ahiga; October 18, 2014 at 09:30 AM.

Any chance the problem might get adressed in the next big update (Sassanians) ?

Maximus183's Avatar Senator

It's a pretty big overhaul, so most likely not unfortunately. The Sassanids and Armenians and Picts are the next big focuses. Once those are done (which they almost are) we'll start looking at what to do next.

great news mate! =)

Ok, well keep up the good work guys !

I can remove some of the anachronistic mercenaries in the next update.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

That would be great, to be fair to you CA did not even bother in the Augustus campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    I can remove some of the anachronistic mercenaries in the next update.
    Greetings Dresden

I have been enjoying this excellent mod. While waiting for FotE to grow in stature and content. The quality of overhaul your team has achieved is very impressive and immersive.
    My only wish if you could release a minor update that eliminates the anachronistic mercenaries or turn off the ability to recruit mercenaries for all factions.

If you have the time or energy for such a task it will add greatly to the pliability of the excellent mod.

I find the mod a great campaign as a precursor to ATTILA-FotE. +REP

My thanks for the making this project.

One other small request. Can you also cap the number of Eagle cohorts that can be recruited. The AI over loads its Legions with them.