Thread: Roman allies in the Punic wars?

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

Default Roman allies in the Punic wars?

I would like to know what cities/peoples where allied to Rome during the first and second Punic wars,
    I can't seem to find any maps showcasing who Romes allies were, only maps of what area they together with Rome Covered.
    From what I understand it wouldn´t be like in Hannibal at the gates where Rome's Samnite allies cover much of South Italy.

Another thing is Carthages allies. It is my understanding that Carthage just like Rome was the chief City in an alliance of Punic cities originally atleast, what cities would this be?

Any answers or links would be very helpful.

Default Re: Roman allies in the Punic wars?

For Carthage it would be the Numidians during the 2nd Punic War under the control of King Syphax, but during the invasion of Africa by Scipio Africanus in 206 B.C. Numidia became Rome's ally around 204 B.C. to 203 B.C. There are some Spanish tribesmen who were allied with Rome while Scipio was in Spain, but I'm not sure who they were.

One of Rome's allies supposedly was Saguntum, the city that Hannibal sieged which started the 2nd Punic War. I know there were some that recently became part of Rome in Northern Italy, but I can't remember.

http://www.forumromanum.org/history/morey15.html

According to this the Roman allies were: The Apulians, the Lucanians, the Samnites, the BRuttians, Capua, and Syracuse.

Check it out, it has a lot of information about the first and second Punic war and more.

I do hope this helps a bit even though I did not fully answer your question.
    Last edited by Owlkur; October 08, 2014 at 04:04 PM.

Praeses

Massilia was a long standing Roman ally from early Republican times IIRC.

Carthage had a pre-eminent position among the Phoenician colonies of Africa, I suppose more or less like Rome had over its Latin and other Italian "allies" and "friends" although perhaps less inclusive. From memory Utica offered an alliance to Scipio Africanus? So cracks appeared among the core Carthaginian allies as they did for Roma when Capua joined Hannibal.

Bear in mind both cities had various categories of alliance, with some really close neighbours who were partially integrated into their home city-state (eg Capua or Utica), as well as genuinely seperate allies (eg Numidia or Massilia) as well as persoanl relationships with groups amounting to alliances (eg Hannibals relationships with various Iberain groups personally loyal to him).
    Last edited by Cyclops; October 08, 2014 at 04:27 PM. Reason: multiple pre-coffee spelling jitters
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

Thank you both for your help, interesting read
    If you didn't figure it out I'm planning a Histoirical Overhaul of Hannibal at the gates.

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

This is actually quite complicated and unfortunately I do not have the time right now to write a longer text about it. But in short: Rome of course always had it's Socii, the Italic allies who supplied their own legions from ca. 290 BC- ca. 90 BC and fought alongside the Roman troops in all major conflicts. Hannibal shortly succeeded in breaking up some of the Southern allies (Capua, the Bruttian League and the Lucanian League, though some both leagues' cities declined to join) and winning them for his side after the Battle of Cannae up until about 210 BC.
    Then there is Carthage, which effectively controlled the West African coastline, though some of the cities, like Capua on the other side, were not all that loyal when the tide turned against Carthago (Utica has been mentioned). In Africa, there were also the Numidians, split into the Massyli under Masinissa, originally a Carthaginian ally who later joined Rome, and then Masaesyli under Syphax, initially a Roman ally and later a Carthaginian ally. This complicated switch of alliances was mainly due to the internal fight between Masinissa and Syphax for the crown of all Numidia.
    Furthermore, we have the Iberian tribes on the peninsula. Some of them started out as Carthaginian allies or vassals to the Barcids, the family of Hannibal who ruled their Iberian possessions in the name of the Carthaginian Senate. Some of these later joined Rome's side when Scipio Africanus campaigned on the peninsula. There were also cities in Hispania like Saguntum, which was formally a Roman ally and whose desctruction led to the outbreak of the Second Punic War, or Emporion, which was a dependent colony of Massalia.
    Finally you have the Greek cities, afore mentioned Massalia and Syracuse on Sicily, of which both started as Roman allies, but the latter joined Carthage upon the death of it's tyrant Hieron II. in 215 BC. Last but not least one should not forget the Celtic tribes of Northern Italy, while some Helvetian tribes attacked Hannibal on his route over the Alps, most of the peoples who dwelled in the Po Valley, for instance the Insubres, supported the Carthaginian cause.

I hope that helps Note that this is just the 2nd Punic War.
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112