Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An Apology to the Zelda Fandom

UndyingNephalim's Avatar Primicerius
    Patrician Artifex

Default An Apology to the Zelda Fandom

After some time of thought, reflection, and hearing from others I have decided to issue a public apology. Long story short, I feel like I have expressed unnecessarily harsh opinions about a certain series of video games and its fandom.

It's no secret I have not really enjoyed playing new Zelda games for quite some time now. Hyrule Warriors, while certainly entertaining for a few hours, has not really changed that streak. I am not here to apologize for not liking these games. The simple truth is I don't like Spirit Tracks, I don't like Skyward Sword, and I really don't like Hyrule Warriors. I do not feel disliking these games is a crime as certain individuals continue to accuse me of, we all have our personal tastes and it's a little absurd to hound someone for liking or disliking any fictional media who's entire point is to entertain and make people have fun. I am not here to apologize for my personal opinions regarding what games make me have fun playing them, I am here to apologize for my overbearing and harsh expression of my rather negative opinions.

Please keep in mind that though I have given rather harsh criticism to almost every Zelda game I've reviewed in the last few years, I did not mean to directly attack fans of those games or the series. You are more than welcome to enjoy Spirit Tracks, Skyward Sword, or the Zelda CD-i games. I do not think negatively of any person who enjoys games I do not like. I do not think people are stupid for having fun driving a train around Hyrule or hookshotting the Moon out of orbit, and I sincerely apologize if my words implied that I did. My only issues are with people who say I have no right to dislike these games, which is a minority I have unrightfully overgeneralized to a larger group of the Zelda fandom. I am sorry for my harsh words against the Zelda series and the fans who have attempted to defend their investment in these games. I realize I've come off as an ass in my attempts to express and defend my own opinions.

That being said, I should also stress that my own Zelda game, Hyrule: Total War, is not there to usurp whatever glory Zeda has as some people are under the impression of, and I apologize if my words and advertising implied this. I am just a random dude who wants a particular type of Zelda game to exist, and seeing as Nintendo will likely never make it I set out to do it on my own. I am not a gaming Deity, nor Messiah. Hyrule: Total War is not the greatest thing since Yeshua. I and my games are not above critisism. You are more than welcome to speak against me or my games, though I would kindly request you give actual criticism. "You are an autistc edgelord" is not very helpful. I am just one man, trying to make what he thinks is awesome without the powerhouse resources of a full game studio and a truckload of money. My models and my work are mediocre at best. I don't have the time and manpower to playtest my own games for hundreds of hours to eliminate bugs. Hyrule: Total War is not perfect, and I have never claimed that it is better in any way, shape or form to other official Zelda games. I have only claimed it is an attempt at what I would rather have out of a Zelda game, and I do not want that to be misunderstood. I am not trying to put down Nintendo's official Zelda games nor the fans of those games. I am only trying to express my personal disappointment as to the direction that series took after Twilight Princess.

Now with this out in the air, go play and enjoy your games. You don't need my silly opinion to justify your choice of entertainment. Don't let my dislike of a game discourage you from enjoying it.

If anyone has felt that I have personally insulted them in the past, please feel free to contact me and explain your case. I will personally apologize to you and hand out the Princess Zelda Battle Queen and Majora Disciple outfits to you for Hyrule: Total War.

Default Re: An Apology to the Zelda Fandom

As a fan, I didn't feel insulted or wronged by your words. You had an opinion and you expressed it, and what is more, you gave an alternative to a universe you thought wasn't being handled properly, which kind of entitled you to have such a contentious opinion. With that being said, I also think that this apology makes your point stronger.

Thanks for giving us HTW and keep it up, you're doing great!

SirMark9's Avatar Tiro

I enjoyed HTW when I learned of it's existence during the Christmas of 2013. Since then, it's been pretty fun hanging around these boards and contributing what I can.

The only negativity from me that I remember was back during the July release. I understood that it would be buggy, but what ticked me off the most is that there was that April Beta some of us participated in and some of the bugs we reported then were still unresolved come July. It begged the question of what purpose was the open beta for.

In retrospect, this release was the first one I was present for and may of had too high of expectations, despite my covering of 3.5 bugs previously. Since then I've toned downed me expectations and will probably watch as the hype train rushes on by instead of riding it. (I still need to get around to recording the new missions of the Hyrule Historia that was released in 3.6...)

Regarding the LoZ games, as have I stated several times elsewhere on this board, I am not too overly familiar with them. Either way, liking stuff is subjective, and one man's trash may be another man's treasure. Enjoy what you like and don't worry about what the others say.

Lastly, of course, keep up the good work with your own Zelda game, HTW. I hope that it will achieve the dream you set out to make reality, even if it takes several years to be fully realized.
    Hibernation State: Playing Nintendo games and working on personal projects.

i started playing hyrule total war jannuary 2012 and loved it. I still do. this mod is in my opinion the best medieval 2 total war mod because its unique. Your models are among the best i have seen. they are not mediocre. and you have never told anyone to agree With you. everyone has different opinions.

keep up the good work, you are the best

Senator

Aye, I need to get on to 3.6 as well as some point.

Anyways, there's no need to apologise for any of this. If you don't like a game, then you don't like it, it's your right to criticise it if you so wish. I DO feel that your criticism of Hyrule Warriors was a tad harsh, as I found it to be a harmless bit of silliness that in the end is fun if you like mindless button mashing. It doesn't even count as an actual timeline game so it's hardly the worst thing ever.

To me, Hyrule Warriors is a bit like Shadow of Mordor on how it had divided fans. I like SoM because of it's excellent voice acting and combat. It's story is completely ludicrous for the most part, but the orc society is portrayed rather nicely.

Arael's Avatar Laetus

Fiu... I wanted you to apologize for a long time now. Thank you.

Drazule's Avatar Campidoctor

I'm not sure I would have been able to go ahead and do something like this if I were in your position.

Don't worry about it. The catch I think we need to realize is that there isn't really a bad Zelda so much as different ones. Each Zelda works, is nearly bug free, and works as intended. The real disagreement seems to come from the lore, so the whole thing comes down to subjectivity. Kind of like how I know people who are praising Shadows of Mordor for its story saying that it destroys the "tired old" black/white thing.

Even though I find
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Some douchebag no-name ranger beating SAURON in single one on one combat

To be incredibly stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Lortano View Post
    To me, Hyrule Warriors is a bit like Shadow of Mordor on how it had divided fans. I like SoM because of it's excellent voice acting and combat. It's story is completely ludicrous for the most part, but the orc society is portrayed rather nicely.
    Orc society is actually surprisingly sensible in the lore. It's a meritocracy with industrial aspects. In Shadows of Mordor, the captains coming back after you kill them have an actual reason, as in the lore, Orc medicine is actually better than Elven medicine, it will fix you up, but it'll scar you and such in the process.

Senator

nah i can't justify the main storyline, its dumb, but it's the little things, ESPECIALLY RATBAG, that makes the game so enjoyable.

now why I don't always agreed with your opinions, and yes your opinion is a bit harsh your still good at what you do, I wouldn't say your mod or your story is mediocre, you have create fanart, good fanart, your mod is one of the best zelda made projects I've seen, your story while not the best written zelda story I've seen it's still up there with the greats, it has the best version of ganon I've seen, I personally like your creations, I would want to see all of them.
    Din25:17. "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the
    tyranny of evil men. Blessed is she who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through
    the maw of majora, for she is truly her sisters's keeper and the finder of lost kin. And I will strike
    down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my sisters. And you will know my name is DIN when I lay my vengeance upon you.

why do u have to apologize for not liking that piece of lol

Quote Originally Posted by rusty887 View Post
    Welp, sorry Neph, it was a civil thread while it lasted.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by rusty887 View Post
    I did not apologize for disliking anything. I apologized for being an ass about disliking things.

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The last good Zelda game was Legend of Zelda.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I think it's a little silly you would have to apologize for anything (especially Spirit Tracks) seeing how you're doing Hyrule Total War out of a passion for the Zelda games. However I was surprised with you disliking Hyrule Warriors. Perhaps this is coming from a Dynasty Warriors fan but I thought Hyrule Warriors matched Hyrule Total War in a lot of a aspects in terms of actual battles going on. Yes Agatha summoning a giant beetle is dumb but every Zelda game had things we can dislike about (like the insipid Tingle spin of games). Anyways keep up the good work. As soon as I find a job (recent grad whohoo) I'll be sure to donate to your patreon. By the way have you thought about Kickstarter or Indigogo to help fund any games you want to make in the future?

Er... okay...?
    CA needs competition.

While I rarely agree with your opinions of the fandom and most of the recent titles, we do have one huge thing in common; we both love the Zelda series. Every person is entitled to their own opinion and the right to express said opinion(s), that being said, some opinions are best to keep to yourself. I think this video best explains what I'm trying to say:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0la5DBtOVNI

I think it is very mature of you to apologize for, in your own words, being an ass about disliking things.

Just a curious question Neph, you don't have to answer it if you don't want to: What kind of positive/negative feedback did you get when HTW first went public?

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by CommyXD26 View Post
    Just a curious question Neph, you don't have to answer it if you don't want to: What kind of positive/negative feedback did you get when HTW first went public?
    It was really mixed. For a time it seemed most of the positive feedback was limited to this forum. By far the most common feedback was "Cease and Desist 3,2,1!" There were plenty of "You are ruining Zelda!" responses. Most of the negative feedback had to do with being a different type of game than normal Zelda games, rather than actual problems with the mod. That's probably why Hyrule Warriors irked me for a time, it seemed to get a free pass for being different but HTW didn't. Apparently that was just an extremely loud minority praising HW before release though, the sales numbers for HW scream the extremely exact opposite. It wasn't until I started doing Hyrule Historia missions that it seemed a more positive crowd started voicing their opinions outside of Total War Center.

Tarakusak's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by UndyingNephalim View Post
    It was really mixed. For a time it seemed most of the positive feedback was limited to this forum. By far the most common feedback was "Cease and Desist 3,2,1!" There were plenty of "You are ruining Zelda!" responses. Most of the negative feedback had to do with being a different type of game than normal Zelda games, rather than actual problems with the mod. That's probably why Hyrule Warriors irked me for a time, it seemed to get a free pass for being different but HTW didn't. Apparently that was just an extremely loud minority praising HW before release though, the sales numbers for HW scream the extremely exact opposite. It wasn't until I started doing Hyrule Historia missions that it seemed a more positive crowd started voicing their opinions outside of Total War Center.
    Out of curiosity. When was HTW first "released" to the public? A couple of years back? So maybe the people inside the zelda fandom have grown a bit more? Or rather they are starting to want more different zelda experiences.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast